PDA

View Full Version : JET vs. Interac

clarechan
November 28th, 2007, 20:43
It was always my Plan B to apply to Interac if JET reject me. I've been going on and on about wanting to go to Japan for so long to friends and family I'll be embarassed if I don't get to Japan somehow (as well as totally gutted).
What are the pros and cons/reputation/life etc of Interac? I've heard it pays less..
Sorry if someone's already made this topic before..

lazarus
November 28th, 2007, 20:52
You ever think of Epik? http://epik.knue.ac.kr/ It's like the JET of South Korea.

Also I heard Interac kinda sucks.. If you have your heart set on Japan, Altia-Central is really good. (Almiost like JET)

http://altiacentral.org/index.php

---edit---

Woohoo 100 posts!!! :D

Sheepy
November 28th, 2007, 22:07
What about Nova?

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful.
I don't know about Interac but JET is probably better.

Tegan
November 28th, 2007, 22:56
I have never heard of Altia-Central before. I went to there website and I am unsure what to really think about them.

Does anyone know anything about Altia-Central, and would like to share?

Timoshi
November 28th, 2007, 23:49
I know some interac people. They say it's not so bad. Interac won't look after you as well and the pay/conditions aren't as good...

... but the job is the same. You can have more of a say in your placement, and you can take 6month contracts if you like and then move around. You generally work less hours and the lifestyle is better than if you were working with an eikaiwa.

Spec-R
November 29th, 2007, 02:03
NOVA has gone bankrupt, and I think it's only a matter of time before it goes belly-up.

Spec-R
November 29th, 2007, 03:12
Well, if anything is nice about Interac, is that they work fast...

I applied YESTERDAY and I've already passed the resume screening portion.

Tegan
November 29th, 2007, 03:30
Well, if anything is nice about Interac, is that they work fast...

I applied YESTERDAY and I've already passed the resume screening portion.

so are you applying to both JET and Interac?

Spec-R
November 29th, 2007, 03:43
I know someone who didn't even get an interview with JET, so I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Spec-R
November 29th, 2007, 07:49
I've filled out my questionnaire and 95% of my Interac form...

I think I need to tone it down a bit... since I probably sound like I'm looking down on them.

I mean, I don't want to end up in some obscure fishing village if JET or Chiba falls through, but I also don't want to burn any bridges.

patjs
November 29th, 2007, 09:18
I know someone who didn't even get an interview with JET, so I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.
I feel the same way. I've talked to a few former applicants, read all there is to read on forums, and spoke with a professor who has seen probably hundreds of students over the years apply to this thing. In my opinion it's kind of a crapshoot. I think I have what they're looking for in terms of very relevant teaching experience in Japan during study abroad, and good letters. I'm just not putting my heart into it 100% because of the sheer numbers we're up against.

swedeinshiga
November 29th, 2007, 09:24
Interac is OK............nothing special, somewhat less pay....but on the upside plenty of paid vacation. In the summer you get about 1 1/2 month paid vacation.
The job is the same as JET, minus having to bother with the BOE

November 29th, 2007, 09:29
I know a person who works for Altia.

He likes it, and has been with them (working as an ALT in a JHS) for a number of years.

They pay less than JET - but you're only in school when lessons are on, so that means long holidays. They also employ their ALTs for 30 hours + a week - which means their ALTs get the public health care, etc.

I've heard that Interac will employ ALTs for 29 hours (and try to wring more out of them) so they don't have to pay into the public social security schemes.

swedeinshiga
November 29th, 2007, 09:30
true......29 hours a week :smt009

November 29th, 2007, 09:35
Do they pay your public health thingie etc?

The Interac people that I know in Okayama atm seem to be doing OK.

swedeinshiga
November 29th, 2007, 09:40
nope.....you get to pay that yourself :cry: But it ain`t that bad........like I said you have a truck load of paid vacation so it`s OK. I wouldn`t mind if they upped the work time with 1 hour a week so they got to pay for it....But hey can`t get everything in Life.
How much do JETs get after tax and stuff?? About 26K? Im about the same.

Spec-R
November 29th, 2007, 12:02
I thought it was 35,000,000 yen a year AFTER Japanese taxes.

And with the weak dollar, that's... a lot.

I'm considering applying for Altia as well.

Except I don't want to bother the people I just got to write references for me to do it again...

Marrissey
November 29th, 2007, 12:05
You could also look into NET. I've been told that it pays similarily to JET and has similar perks too. Some folks in Okayama were saying it's where JETs go when their 3/5 years is up and they want to stick around. Spoke to someone on it and they said it was good.

Spec-R
November 29th, 2007, 12:10
NET..not a very easy name to search for on the internet.

In all reality, I think my chances with JET are fairly good.

Although from what I hear, the guy in Chiba seems like he's going to stay, so I don't think that's going to pan out.

beatnik
November 29th, 2007, 18:12
Except I don't want to bother the people I just got to write references for me to do it again...

Hmm, this is a good point I hadnt realised. If JET doesnt pan out and I try other agencies...I'm going to have to get reference letters all over again? Annoying...(for the refs, not me)

Ini
November 29th, 2007, 20:01
Jet and interac are the same

take home pay is the same but you don't get any sexy government worker health insurance or pension payments with interac.

Interac jobs tend to be busier because they are in big schools in cities. If you fancy sitting on your arse all day in a tiny rural shithole go for jet.

Biggest advantages of interac are there is no shitty AJET, no shitty conferences and none of this shit about having to be in the office during school holidays

Marrissey
November 29th, 2007, 20:32
NET..not a very easy name to search for on the internet.

In all reality, I think my chances with JET are fairly good.

Although from what I hear, the guy in Chiba seems like he's going to stay, so I don't think that's going to pan out.

Yeah - apparently it's only my city's municipal BoE that runs NET. Anywhere here's the site:

http://www.city.kurashiki.okayama.jp/kyosido/hiring/main_page.htm

Marrissey
November 29th, 2007, 20:35
And I've just noticed the interview's in Japan so ignore me.

frankdux
November 29th, 2007, 21:41
all the private ALT companies pay shit compared to JET. I know people on some of those private ones that have had to turn off their air conditioning in the middle of summer just cause they couldn't afford it anymore. fucking pathetic. if you have a college degree there is no reason you should be living like that, and there is no reason you should be making less than 30k a year with a college degree. why do people let themselves be treated like that? do they have any sense of self worth?

Marrissey
November 29th, 2007, 22:15
all the private ALT companies pay shit compared to JET. I know people on some of those private ones that have had to turn off their air conditioning in the middle of summer just cause they couldn't afford it anymore. fucking pathetic. if you have a college degree there is no reason you should be living like that, and there is no reason you should be making less than 30k a year with a college degree. why do people let themselves be treated like that? do they have any sense of self worth?

Because they want to live in Japan and money isn't everything?

clarechan
November 29th, 2007, 22:20
I would *pay* to live in Japan and do be an ALT, and I haveno money already! I don't care if it's stressful or hard work or boring sometimes, I will apply to all these companies (thanks for the suggestions- I'd never heard of Altia before) until I get in!!

wicket
November 29th, 2007, 22:31
Osaka prefecture also runs the NET system, if that's any help.

Ini
November 29th, 2007, 22:33
they all pay the same in real terms, just with jet you get the pension refund when you leave.

Why are obsessed with university frank? Any cunt can get a degree these days.

Spec-R
November 30th, 2007, 01:32
I don't think the ~50,000 yen a month difference, the need to pay for your own airfare to Japan (apparently). And in the JET program, you may or may not have to pay local taxes depending on your home country (tax treaties and what not). And you're going to be paying about the same amount for rent, utilities, and the pension plan in either problem.

And they want you to bring at least $5,000 with you... which is a big deal when you've got $500 in your bank account, $20,000 in college loans, and $2,500 on your credit card.

Also, Interac may or may not require you to pay for a car they're going to make you lease... not a big deal if they simply mean you must have a car, but it IS if they want you to spend 15,000 a month on some 15 year-old deathtrap Kei-car, and not for the car of your choice.

(I plan on getting a Silvia or an RX-7...hahaha)

November 30th, 2007, 09:14
Even with the local taxes JETs should still get the same take home pay - if you have to pay the local tax your BoE should give you extra money to cover it.

The JET income they cite in all the publicity is 3.6 million yen after tax - but not after social security contribution.

Some (most?) JETs get a rent subsidy of some sort as well - but as this varies so much you can't count on it.

A few ALTs don't have to be in school during vacations - again not something you can count on.

dombay
November 30th, 2007, 10:39
My city employs its CIRs directly. I think they get better pay and conditions than JET CIRs. Downside is they don't do a lot of CIR work - mostly they work as elementary school ALTs.

Point is that if you look around a bit there might be a better deal.

If you like being able to afford to eat I wouldn't work for Interac.

Spec-R
November 30th, 2007, 11:03
That doesn't sound like half a bad idea.

I'm qualified to do a CIR's job, but I want to be involved with the schools too... (although preferably not with elementary school kids...)

Where is your city?

Ini
November 30th, 2007, 12:23
All the interac drones I know have more disposable income than me. Better living conditions as well.

Spec-R
November 30th, 2007, 13:30
Enough to make up for the cost of a plane ticket in a few months?

Spec-R
December 1st, 2007, 01:17
http://www.fuckedgaijin.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12652

This thread is kind of interesting...

Also, http://interac.generalunion.org/

The second video talks about Interac fudging over one of their employees.

Ini
December 1st, 2007, 01:24
and them eating your lunch blah blah blah

All ALT gigs in Japan are pretty much the same on paper - ESID is king here bitches

Spec-R
December 1st, 2007, 01:44
I haven't heard of the JET program consistently breaking labor laws, though.

Also, I had wondered "WTF?" about some of the questions on the application and questionnaire, and now I kind of get why... it's because it's a crap company.

Ini
December 1st, 2007, 01:50
Hahahahahahaha, you are joking right?

The mighty "JET contract" where as soon as anything fishy ever crops up they bring out Apendex B which you have never seen before but magically covers everything your BOE were trying to get you to do.

Wake up boo

Spec-R
December 1st, 2007, 01:59
Having a copy and a lawyer with you can help...

Ini
December 1st, 2007, 02:03
In japan? as an ALT? where you are given the English translation to sign? so you'll be leaving after 1 year wont you chief

jack_zuta
December 1st, 2007, 03:58
That doesn't sound like half a bad idea.

I'm qualified to do a CIR's job, but I want to be involved with the schools too... (although preferably not with elementary school kids...)

If you become a CIR then you will probably end up spending more time at elementary schools than most ALTs.

frankdux
December 1st, 2007, 09:23
I would *pay* to live in Japan and do be an ALT, and I haveno money already! I don't care if it's stressful or hard work or boring sometimes, I will apply to all these companies (thanks for the suggestions- I'd never heard of Altia before) until I get in!!

people like you are hit in the face with a pile of bricks when you get here. you walk into a bare empty house in a town of 5,000 with no one your age anywhere, and with no night life within a 50 mile radius, and no internet access. cut off from the world. crying yourself to sleep in a matter of weeks.

seriously, get your head out of the clouds. japan is a place like many other places. it has its ups and its down. things that are better than america and things that are worse. you will not be in a state of euphoria for the whole year that you are here. you can have plenty of good times here but its not as if every waking moment is amazing. especially considering you'll have no say in where you get placed. and considering your job responsibilities could be anything from doing nothing all day to being given a full load and having to stay late at school every day even though its not in your contract.

of course you'll say shit like "i wanna be put out of my comfort zone". but thats the same bullshit everybody says. and in reality, who the hell actually wants to be uncomfortable for an entire year?

krskrft
December 1st, 2007, 09:45
But then again, almost nobody's experience is likely to be as miserable as yours either, frankdux. You're shutting down an optimistic view and attempting to replace it with an equally unreasonable pessimistic view. I think that's the main problem people have with your comments.

fragglerocker
December 1st, 2007, 10:07
Yeah dude, stop raining on everyone's parade!

Here, have some sparkly things to brighten up your life :kaos_chirolp_krackr:

lazarus
December 1st, 2007, 10:21

people like you are hit in the face with a pile of bricks when you get here. you walk into a bare empty house in a town of 5,000 with no one your age anywhere, and with no night life within a 50 mile radius, and no internet access. cut off from the world. crying yourself to sleep in a matter of weeks.

seriously, get your head out of the clouds. japan is a place like many other places. it has its ups and its down. things that are better than america and things that are worse. you will not be in a state of euphoria for the whole year that you are here. you can have plenty of good times here but its not as if every waking moment is amazing. especially considering you'll have no say in where you get placed. and considering your job responsibilities could be anything from doing nothing all day to being given a full load and having to stay late at school every day even though its not in your contract.

of course you'll say shit like "i wanna be put out of my comfort zone". but thats the same bullshit everybody says. and in reality, who the hell actually wants to be uncomfortable for an entire year?

Well I agree with you somewhat. I'm sure a lot of people who apply to JET have some sort of romantic dream that Japan is something magical. I think most people who are applying this year need to ask themselves how JET fits into their career goals, and how JET would help them accomplish it. (I'm sure they will ask questions about this in the interviews)..

If you do get accepted into JET thinking you will get placed in some large city, you will be crying yourself to sleep when you get placed in bum fuck back water Japan..

wicket
December 1st, 2007, 13:55
God I'm sick of hearing that. What is it with recent graduates that they are bored so easily if they don't have a sparkly city to go out in?
I lived in bumfuck inaka and it was wonderful - in a completely different way to living in Osaka.
Sure, you won't be hitting the clubs and having anonymous sex in the loos, but you will find it easier to be accepted into a community, you'll get lots of invitations to try things you would never be able to do in your home country; and if your school is small, you might actually be able to remember your kids names.
It's only a year or five. Your big cities back home aren't going anywhere.
Try a new brand of fun. Most end up loving their little inaka towns.

Ini
December 1st, 2007, 14:01
you might actually be able to remember your kids names.

because this is a well known measure of quality of life.........

countryside is shite, thats why all the young jappers move away and you are left with only toothless old crones for company

Ryuker
December 1st, 2007, 14:19
God I'm sick of hearing that. What is it with recent graduates that they are bored so easily if they don't have a sparkly city to go out in?
I lived in bumfuck inaka and it was wonderful - in a completely different way to living in Osaka.
Sure, you won't be hitting the clubs and having anonymous sex in the loos, but you will find it easier to be accepted into a community, you'll get lots of invitations to try things you would never be able to do in your home country; and if your school is small, you might actually be able to remember your kids names.
It's only a year or five. Your big cities back home aren't going anywhere.
Try a new brand of fun. Most end up loving their little inaka towns.

Did you want to live in a small town right out of college? :lol:

wicket
December 1st, 2007, 15:17
Actually, yes. :D
I asked for a rural placement the first time I was on JET, because I wanted to develop some independence and Japanese language skills. In some ways I think it's less lonely in a small town, as long as you put yourself out there and are willing to be involved in whatever's going on.
There are lots of newbies this year in Osaka prefecture feeling a bit lonely in the face of a crowd - you're far more anonymous in the city, which is what I wanted this time around.

frankdux
December 1st, 2007, 16:37

Well I agree with you somewhat. I'm sure a lot of people who apply to JET have some sort of romantic dream that Japan is something magical. I think most people who are applying this year need to ask themselves how JET fits into their career goals, and how JET would help them accomplish it. (I'm sure they will ask questions about this in the interviews)..

If you do get accepted into JET thinking you will get placed in some large city, you will be crying yourself to sleep when you get placed in bum fuck back water Japan..

the good thing for me is i actually got placed in a decent sized city in close proximity to tokyo. so i really cant complain about my placement at all. its the job and its complete lack of any real responsibility, professionalism, and respect that gets under my skin and has somewhat tainted the experience for me thus far.

The_Corrector
December 1st, 2007, 19:06
Interac is OK............nothing special, somewhat less pay....but on the upside plenty of paid vacation. In the summer you get about 1 1/2 month paid vacation.
The job is the same as JET, minus having to bother with the BOE

The vacations with interac depends entirely on where you are placed and which branch is lording over you.

I have seen plenty of Interac contracts where they do not even provide the holidays required by law called 年休 (Nenkyuu). Interac's stance is, if their teachers don't know the law, then Interac has no obligation to follow it. They also do their best to avoid the issue of 社会保険 (Shakai Hoken or Social Insurance) so far as to refuse to tell their teachers what the law says in that they are supposed to sign up for Shakai Hoken or 国民健康保険 (Kokumin Kenkou Hoken - National Health Insurance). They fight as hard as possible to keep people from signing up for the higher tier Shakai Hoken insurance, even though those teachers are qualified under the law.

I have seen contracts that have only 60% of pay during the holiday months, and I have seen contracts with NO WORK and NO PAY for as much as TWO MONTHS in the August/September months. They have also BLOCKED qualified teachers from signing up for unemployment insurance so that the teachers had to appeal....

I could go on all night, but I have things to do...

If you are signing up for an Interac contract, be warned. Join your local union chapter to help us keep this company in check... Or at the very least, know your rights as a worker...

Solidarity.
http://interac.generalunion.org

dombay
December 1st, 2007, 21:48
Actually, yes. :D
I asked for a rural placement the first time I was on JET, because I wanted to develop some independence and Japanese language skills. In some ways I think it's less lonely in a small town, as long as you put yourself out there and are willing to be involved in whatever's going on.
There are lots of newbies this year in Osaka prefecture feeling a bit lonely in the face of a crowd - you're far more anonymous in the city, which is what I wanted this time around.

Yea me too.

I requested a rural placement and I love my rural placement.

The people that tend to go on and on about rural placements being shit are generally one of two types of people in my experience. Either people who live in one of Japan's boring, ugly and souless cities and feel better about the issues that they're facing by assuming that others have it worse or they're Ini. Even Ini has been here in his small town for what, four years?

I live in a town that has beaches, young Japanese people (I have Japanese friends in their 20s, in the inaka, yes it's possible just look a bit harder), beautiful scenery and a distraction free environment in which I can study.

Inaka doesn't automatically equal shit and city doesn't automatically equal good. There's plenty of really shitty cities and really shitty placements in cities going around and there's some awesome countryside placements. It's still ESID.

If you are really so inflexible that you couldn't spend a year of your life in a countryside placement which for all you know might be really good then you should definitely not put in a JET application.

plasticsoul
December 2nd, 2007, 16:33
There's a lot of baloney on this thread. I've been working for Interac since August and I haven't encountered any problems. As far as I can tell, I agree with George -- the job is the same as JET. The pay is lower, but it's still more than some of the HRTs. (The reaction from most of my Japanese friends when they hear what I make is "That's a high salary!") They reimburse all my travel expenses, so I end up getting about 240 000 every month. I live in Kyoto, and the pay is sufficient. As for people who get thrown in a rural place, I suspect your rent and other monthly expenses will be even lower than mine. Unless you go out drinking literally every night, the Interac salary should be enough. I had to take out a $5,000 loan to come here with Interac, and I'll have paid it off by next month. And I have been paid on time every month.

I haven't experienced any Interac employees proselytizing and no one I know is Mormon. Who the fuck cares if the president of the company is Mormon? I've never met the president, and I don't give a shit. I basically work with the BOE and the schools, and I have monthly paperwork to fill out for Interac. I also talk to the "helper" a lot, who is a very nice woman and will help you if you need an English-speaking doctor, for example.

I've had every vacation day I expected, and will have over two weeks off for Christmas. And unless you plan on staying here and working for Interac for a very long time, why do you need to join a union? Just stay here for the year or two and move on.

Don't take the myths too seriously. I think Interac is an okay choice if you get a JET rejection or alternate status.

The_Corrector
December 2nd, 2007, 18:32
There's a lot of baloney on this thread. I've been working for Interac since August and I haven't encountered any problems. As far as I can tell, I agree with George -- the job is the same as JET. The pay is lower, but it's still more than some of the HRTs. (The reaction from most of my Japanese friends when they hear what I make is "That's a high salary!") They reimburse all my travel expenses, so I end up getting about 240 000 every month. I live in Kyoto, and the pay is sufficient. As for people who get thrown in a rural place, I suspect your rent and other monthly expenses will be even lower than mine. Unless you go out drinking literally every night, the Interac salary should be enough. I had to take out a $5,000 loan to come here with Interac, and I'll have paid it off by next month. And I have been paid on time every month.

I haven't experienced any Interac employees proselytizing and no one I know is Mormon. Who the fuck cares if the president of the company is Mormon? I've never met the president, and I don't give a shit. I basically work with the BOE and the schools, and I have monthly paperwork to fill out for Interac. I also talk to the "helper" a lot, who is a very nice woman and will help you if you need an English-speaking doctor, for example.

I've had every vacation day I expected, and will have over two weeks off for Christmas. And unless you plan on staying here and working for Interac for a very long time, why do you need to join a union? Just stay here for the year or two and move on.

Don't take the myths too seriously. I think Interac is an okay choice if you get a JET rejection or alternate status.
Like I said, I have seen many Interac people's contracts from across the country. Wether you get paid for your vacations or not depends on how much money they school board has. If it is a smaller city, and if the contract is a 派遣 (haken) contract rather than an 委託 (itaku) or 請負(ukeoi) contract, then you are more likely to get paid vacations and 社会保険 (Social Insurance). Under Itaku or Ukeoi contracts however, the teachers are the first ones to get shortchanged out of things that are guaranteed to them by law. Personally, I know that these contracts and sour situations are not "MYTHS" because I was suckered into one of them before I began to study the Japanese law and realized what was going on. The kuso hit the fan earlier this year, and the contract that I was working under was deemed ILLEGAL by the Osaka Labor Board and my BOE was ordered to hire directly. As for the high salary, it is much higher when there is no middle man involved. ALTs that are directly hired by Osaka-Fu for example get ¥330,000 before taxes, and that is NOT even the JET program.

So yes, there are many people like plasticsoul who have never encountered any problems; and they are lucky. It sounds like plasticsoul has lucked into one of the better Haken contracts. Odds are however that, he/she still doesnt have Shakai Hoken (which hopefully he/she will never regret not having because people only realize they should have it after they get hit by a car or something traumatic), he/she probably didnt get paid for training, and is unaware that he/she is eligible for unemployment insurance (that Interac should be paying for at about 1% of your salary). I have a large number of documents and emails from people all over the country to prove that my charges are not "MYTHS", so the personal incredulity of people like plasticsoul who have worked for one of the better BOEs for only four months are of little weight.

My warning stands. If you sign on for Interac, and something seems fishy to you, then it probably is and you should call someone for help or consultation. Hopefully, so long as Interac is in existence, most people will have a plasticsoul-like contract and be able to enjoy their time here. Not everyone is so fortunate however...

On a side note, I personally have never understood why anyone has a fascination with the "owned by a mormon" aspect of Interac has any relevance to anything. I am more concerned with wether or not they are following labor laws.

mteacher80
December 2nd, 2007, 18:45
i am not saying that those crappy situations dont exist, but i know at leats 6 interact teachers not counting the ones on here, all get paid holidays, and paid training, and have never had any problmes so i would say dont worry about it too much, as a whole i bet the program is just fine.

The_Corrector
December 2nd, 2007, 19:11
i am not saying that those crappy situations dont exist, but i know at leats 6 interact teachers not counting the ones on here, all get paid holidays, and paid training, and have never had any problmes so i would say dont worry about it too much, as a whole i bet the program is just fine.
That is good news. Where are you located if you dont mind me asking... If I dont get directly hired, then I might need to move to your neck of the woods because I am sick of getting shafted for holidays, not getting 年休 (nenkyuu) and having ¥30,000 subtracted from my paycheck if I am sick....

Timoshi
December 2nd, 2007, 22:38
Well. The thing is that Osaka is practically bankrupt and that's why you got shafted, right? Maybe, as a union representative, you should release some kind of document(/post here) outlining WHERE interacs are getting fucked (admittedly I have no idea if you've done this or not). If people get one of these placements, they can ask for another one and if they don't get it, they can turn it down. Ganbatte!

The_Corrector
December 2nd, 2007, 22:50
Well. The thing is that Osaka is practically bankrupt and that's why you got shafted, right? Maybe, as a union representative, you should release some kind of document(/post here) outlining WHERE interacs are getting fucked (admittedly I have no idea if you've done this or not). If people get one of these placements, they can ask for another one and if they don't get it, they can turn it down. Ganbatte!
hmmmmm, maybe not a bad idea...
although it would need to be a webpage within our current website, because it changes every year/6months and would need to be updated frequently. we would also either need massive amounts of input from people from all over (by conducting interviews) or we could do the pragmatic thing that we already do now, and wait for people to come to us. typically, we find where people are getting shafted by the fact that those getting shafted seek help. then, we go after the places where we have members. we have been successful in getting several cities to directly hire this year almost immediately after our protests against illegal dispatch began this year.
http://interac.generalunion.org/?page_id=8
others are falling in line for next year.

our website is just two months old (interac branch site i mean) so we may use it for that in the future.
thx for the idea. :smt006

meganegaki
December 2nd, 2007, 22:55
Yeah, our BoE is kind of sinking. :\

Ini
December 3rd, 2007, 00:11
bitch bitch bitch

Have they been eating your lunch as well?

The_Corrector
December 3rd, 2007, 00:32
something irrelevant

hah
forgive me for sticking up for workers rights in japan. didnt realize that would make ME seem ridiculous.

Ini
December 3rd, 2007, 00:46
<racist comment removed - Paul>

Atalante
December 3rd, 2007, 13:13
I know a few Interac people, sounds like the job sucks ass sometimes. Maybe in a rural area you can easily get by with the salary, but one of the guys in my city has to be such a tightwad with electricity and eating out. That extra 500 can make the difference between enjoying yourself in Japan or just surviving. One of the Interac people I know is a right idiot too that really has no place being an ALT, makes me appreciate the higher standards that JET has.

I agree with Frank too, there are way too many of these genki kids straight out of university who think that Japan is the magical land of anime and green tea and that it`s so much better than back home. Oh well, I guess it`s a good way for them to see what the real world is like. My reason for coming here was purely a business standpoint and to that respect I`ve been satisfied with my experience. I also got an amazing placement which definitely helps.

swedeinshiga
December 3rd, 2007, 13:19
My reason for coming here was purely a business standpoint and to that respect I`ve been satisfied with my experience.

You are on JET right?

what "business standpoint" would that be? :lol:

nothing123
December 3rd, 2007, 13:24
Congratulations Ini, you are banned again. This time, you also forced me into disabling new account registrations.

Do not come back to this site. You are not welcome here.

Dude, really?

This site is going to be boring as fuck from now on.

swedeinshiga
December 3rd, 2007, 14:07
out of curiosity....what did he post? Seen some pretty graphic posts from Ini, so this one got to have been reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally bad :lol:

nothing123
December 3rd, 2007, 14:08
Congratulations Ini, you are banned again. This time, you also forced me into disabling new account registrations.

Do not come back to this site. You are not welcome here.

Dude, really?

This site is going to be boring as fuck from now on.

If he at least had the common courtesy to mark is NSFW it wouldn't have been AS BAD, but for fucks sake, what he postd was far beyond NSFW.

If you wish to discuss this further, make a post in site related, otherwise keep this thread on topic.

Granted I didn't see it, but restricting access to the site? What is this, BD?

Atalante
December 3rd, 2007, 14:09
My reason for coming here was purely a business standpoint and to that respect I`ve been satisfied with my experience.

You are on JET right?

what "business standpoint" would that be? :lol:

My objective is to become somewhat proficient in Japanese and learn the customs here so that I can work for an international finance company, since Japan is such a major country for the industry. So far it`s been going well, I`ve made a few contacts with people in the industry, so I feel that I`ll be able to get a promising job when I`m finally done with JET.

December 3rd, 2007, 14:13
If you're into international finance why get into that in Japan?

(It's international, so you could try your hand in London, New York, or any other financial centre.)

Do you have an MBA - seems to be quite useful in getting into that kind of work.

swedeinshiga
December 3rd, 2007, 14:15
good for you and good luck with that .

But still makes funny reading JET+buisnes standpoint

Atalante
December 3rd, 2007, 14:29
If you're into international finance why get into that in Japan?

(It's international, so you could try your hand in London, New York, or any other financial centre.)

Do you have an MBA - seems to be quite useful in getting into that kind of work.

I`m from NYC and used to work at a financial center there, I just wanted a change of pace and some international experience, living in Japan seemed interesting. In the end, I want to end up in Singapore (I originally aimed for it but it`s way too hard to get in), so hopefully I can manage that kind of transfer in the future.

December 3rd, 2007, 14:46
Ok, thanks.

(Cue Nick Leeson joke.)

I have friends in that line in London.

Petesmp
December 6th, 2007, 06:47
Back to the original question.... Plan B.

I think most of us can agree that hands down, JET is the best game in town... BUT if you don't get accepted or don't want to wait there are other options to working in Japan.

I worked with several private company ALTs and the ones that worked for Interct seemed happy enough. Most had to also do private lessons to have some extra money or to make ends meet. I would stay away from a company called RCS, I've only heard bad things. When looking at companies check out if they pay you during vacation time. I believe Interact pays you 65%, where some don't pay you at all. One plus about working for a private company is when the kids are off, you are off. With JET you are not always guaranteed to have the full vacation off, you may end up stuck at the Board of Education unless you take vacation days. This is one of those "ESID" situations.

Also, once you get into Japan you can look for employment with other Private Companies within Japan. I have one friend who works for a international school and another who works for a private school who both started off as Private Company ALTs.

lazarus
December 6th, 2007, 07:28
good for you and good luck with that .

But still makes funny reading JET+buisnes standpoint

I don't think it's that far a stretch.. I'm starting an M.A in International Business and Law. The only reason I'm applying to JET is to get some international work experience and have a chance to live in a country which is 100% different than a Western culture.

I guess it's all on how you spin why you want to be in JET. If you have a bad answer, it will seem funny.. lol

wicket
December 6th, 2007, 10:47
megane,
Osaka BoE is not rich but it's not about to lose JET, either. The only reason there were less newbies this year is because more of us oldies signed on for more (including a number of 4th an even 5th years). And we all got moving allowances, right? There are some NETs here, but they tend to be good teachers and not bitter and twisted (even if some of them have a tendency to act superior).
PS You got heating in your staffroom? I can't remember last winter; and I want to dress appropriately on Tuesdays!

Spec-R
December 6th, 2007, 10:49
I went ahead and sent in my app. for Interac, with about 6 hours to spare before the "deadline."

OTOH, I still haven't gotten any more emails or phone calls from them telling me to come to the seminar.

If anything, the worst thing besides the pay is that they force you to wear business attire EVERY DAY.

patjs
December 6th, 2007, 13:28
I went ahead and sent in my app. for Interac, with about 6 hours to spare before the "deadline."

OTOH, I still haven't gotten any more emails or phone calls from them telling me to come to the seminar.

If anything, the worst thing besides the pay is that they force you to wear business attire EVERY DAY.

OK so the chicago interview is on jan 12th, which means i have to submit a week before. If I do so, and get an interview, what exactly is the procedure from here? do they make you accept the offer at the interview? JET's ridiculously lengthy process makes it kind of hard to explore other options if you still are waiting to hear if you even GET an interview.

Spec-R
December 6th, 2007, 13:58
I wouldn't sign any contracts until you know that JET didn't give you an interview.

The Atlanta seminar is next week... and they screen you over the phone before that.

December 6th, 2007, 18:55
What do you think you will be wearing if you get accepted to JET? Sweat pants and T-shirts? We do the same jobs as Interac ALTs, and your JET position could just as easily expect you to wear business wear

dombay
December 6th, 2007, 19:11
heh but probably not.

And you cannot be sacked for it either.

plasticsoul
December 6th, 2007, 20:08

Not true. Maybe during the orientation, which is a week long. And at the monthly meetings if you're unfortunate enough to have them. Otherwise, just take a look at what the HRTs are wearing and be a little more presentable. I don't know any guys who wear a tie, and I wear a sweater and khakis these days.

December 6th, 2007, 21:19
Most SHS ALTs in my prefecture wear business wear. We don't have to wear jackets, but it seems like about half of the guys wear ties.

Spec-R
December 7th, 2007, 00:07
The copy of the Interac contract I read online (don't remember where exactly) said that you're required to wear business wear whenever you're "representing" Interac, which means any time you're on the clock.

Khaki's and polo shirts are one thing, but I can't wear a suit for more than an hour at a time...

Waldroon
December 7th, 2007, 00:28
Wearing a suit in very hot / humid temperatures might suck, but why do people hate wearing suits if the temperature isn't bad?

I like how I look in a suit.

Spec-R
December 7th, 2007, 01:35
I have the utmost hate of restrictive clothing... suits are the epitome of restrictive.

And I can't stand things that are tight on my neck (hell, even t-shirts bug me sometimes).

patjs
December 7th, 2007, 07:02
Wearing a suit in very hot / humid temperatures might suck, but why do people hate wearing suits if the temperature isn't bad?

I like how I look in a suit.

Yeah I feel the same way. I work a retail job part time and I always have people commenting on how awful it is that the company forces us to wear suits to work. I don't mind at all, except when it's really humid. But I think I look good in a suit, and have no problems with this "business attire" thing.

Atalante
December 7th, 2007, 09:08
Yeah, wearing a button-shirt and trousers is so restrictive and conforming, eh? Good god, you people are supposed to be professionals, dress like one! If you don`t like how the collar is tight, buy a better fitting shirt or just leave it open, an open collar is a hell of a lot better than a polo shirt. Have some respect for your appearance!

After all, the kids have to wear the same uniforms all day. If you walk around in casual clothes, people notice. They talk about you, not to your face, but I know of a few JETs who had to find out about it the long way.

Petesmp
December 7th, 2007, 09:27
Yeah, wearing a button-shirt and trousers is so restrictive and conforming, eh? Good god, you people are supposed to be professionals, dress like one! If you don`t like how the collar is tight, buy a better fitting shirt or just leave it open, an open collar is a hell of a lot better than a polo shirt. Have some respect for your appearance!

After all, the kids have to wear the same uniforms all day. If you walk around in casual clothes, people notice. They talk about you, not to your face, but I know of a few JETs who had to find out about it the long way.

seconded

Femaledict
December 7th, 2007, 09:53
Feck sake,and so, if they do talk about you?
so what, its not like they aren't already
ofcourse you should look presentable (as in not like a slob) that goes without saying for any job but doesnt mean dressing for a funeral everyday.
i also hate this thing of ' the students have to...' YE ,SO ,IM NOT A STUDENT!!
i WAS a student, i DID my time and now im an adult and i get to wear my own clothes everyday and have pierced ears and wear make up.
They will one day too.

Ryuker
December 7th, 2007, 10:05

I second that

patjs
December 7th, 2007, 10:21
I haven't done JET so I can't speak to the dress, but I did an internship type thing once a week while I was in Japan, and none of the teachers wore anything near professional dress. I remember wearing khakis and a collared shirt the first day and feeling extremely out of place. It seems like the teachers wear comfortable casual clothes most of the time, although I've heard sometimes they wear suits to and from work and change into casual clothes while there? This was an elementary school though, so I'm assuming junior and high schools have different dress standards? Can anyone fill me in on this?

December 7th, 2007, 10:31
At elementary school its tracksuits etc - because you're so active, and the kids want to play. No way I'm messing up my shirts etc. My teachers dress the same, and I think this is typical.

At JHS / SHS it depends. Teachers at my JHS are quite formally dressed - all the men wear ties. I wear smart casual, I used to wear a tie, but I'm going through a patch of not feeling like it.

I heard a story from a ALT once - he was upset that he hadn't been told about the staff photo. He'd turned up wearing what he usually wore (a hoody with a smily face on it, shorts, and flipflops) to find everyone in black suits.

He stood out a little on the school photo.

Timoshi
December 7th, 2007, 10:38
I live in the neighbouring town to that dude in the JET life video who kept crapping on about the importance of wearing a shirt and tie to work (new people, if you haven't seen it, you can download it from this website). So, yeah I wear a suit everyday. All the teachers wear suits up here, I've gotten used to it. It isn't so bad actually...

Spec-R
December 7th, 2007, 11:29

I don't mind button-down shirts, but suit jackets and ties drive me nuts after a while. The tie more than the jacket, though...

Marrissey
December 7th, 2007, 12:06
I think this is the first time I'm agreeing with Atalante, but I totally do. You're in a professional job, dress accordingly.

Spec-R
December 8th, 2007, 10:00
I would agree, if that's what your colleagues (ie, Japanese teachers) wear, but not if they're all dressing casual.

And for the record, the phone screenings have begun...

frankdux
December 8th, 2007, 11:33
i'm in a high school. shirt and tie every day, but never the jacket. i actually prefer dressing nice, although i do hate spending the time ironing my clothes every day.

Spec-R
December 16th, 2007, 10:45
For people who actually work for Interac:

At my interview I really got grilled about whether or not I was "flexible" in terms of location...

My understanding is that that you don't even figure out if you've been placed, or where you've been placed until your in Japan, which made no sense to me... especially considering you have to fly their on your own expense. And that if you list yourself as "not-flexible" and no BOE in those areas decides to hire you (which I bet is based primarily on your video, which I totally choked on... you only get one take), you're apparently SOL.

Am I right, or have I misinterpreted something?

plasticsoul
December 16th, 2007, 11:00
For people who actually work for Interac:

At my interview I really got grilled about whether or not I was "flexible" in terms of location...

My understanding is that that you don't even figure out if you've been placed, or where you've been placed until your in Japan, which made no sense to me... especially considering you have to fly their on your own expense. And that if you list yourself as "not-flexible" and no BOE in those areas decides to hire you (which I bet is based primarily on your video, which I totally choked on... you only get one take), you're apparently SOL.

Am I right, or have I misinterpreted something?

Unless they changed the policy drastically, I think you've definitely misinterpreted what they said. They either accept you or reject you. If you are accepted, you will be placed somewhere. They will work with you if you indicate some preference on your application. I was somewhat flexible in that I asked for Shiga or neighboring prefectures. They placed me in Kyoto. I'm happy -- it's 30 minutes from my family in Shiga. I know at least one person here asked for a change of placement after being given one, and it wasn't a problem. And I'm pretty sure everyone gets informed of their placement before they leave for Japan -- I don't know anyone here who got screwed like that.

And don't worry -- my video was horrific (I summarized it in a previous thread somewhere) and they accepted me. I think they accept a pretty high percentage, but I've not met anyone who was completely incompetent at their job. For the most part, I think the video is just to make sure you speak English.

Spec-R
December 16th, 2007, 11:08
Except half my video was Japanese... the problem not being the Japanese, but the fact that I was about 2 minutes short (out of 5), and forgot a bunch of details they wanted (like where I'm from, etc).

Also, what I made absolutely sure of was that you have NO idea where you're being placed until you're in the country, which seems like a ridiculous concept, and completely discourteous to any applicant.

Apparently one nearly-perfect applicant wasn't flexible and basically got told to GTFO because he had of his attitude about where they were going to place him.

Also, we were told that your JTEs might secretly ask Interac for a replacement behind your back because of some meaningless details (like your race or where you're from), and from what I took from it, they'll actually make you move.

plasticsoul
December 16th, 2007, 11:16
Also, what I made absolutely sure of was that you have NO idea where you're being placed until you're in the country, which seems like a ridiculous concept, and completely discourteous to any applicant.

Apparently one nearly-perfect applicant wasn't flexible and basically got told to GTFO because he had of his attitude about where they were going to place him.

Also, we were told that your JTEs might secretly ask Interac for a replacement behind your back because of some meaningless details (like your race or where you're from), and from what I took from it, they'll actually make you move.

I guess this stuff might happen. All I can say is that I've never seen it. Also, I wasn't told any of this stuff in the interview. It sounds to me like the coordinator of the interview basically gave you the worst-case scenarios, which is very weird.

Spec-R
December 16th, 2007, 11:19
One of the questions on the hard copy application was what you thought about working at 10 different schools or more...

(I said 3 is my limit... any more than that isn't fair for the kids or me IMO)

It seems that other people on this forum have had much, much nicer experiences with placement and placement information with Interac.

And even the handout I received seems to indicate that you're placed before you're in Japan (otherwise how could you get the visa?)... so I'm very confused, and not about to ask them again... (they started to get real cross when I was confused about the issue)

Spec-R
December 16th, 2007, 11:37
Ok, I think I get it now.

I believe that if you say you're flexible (in order to increase your changes of getting accepted), then that means your preferences become nill and you don't get your placement info till you're in Japan (I guess), whereas if you're "not flexible" it just means you have preferences and they tell you before you come to Japan.

lazarus
December 17th, 2007, 08:14
One of the questions on the hard copy application was what you thought about working at 10 different schools or more...

(I said 3 is my limit... any more than that isn't fair for the kids or me IMO)

It seems that other people on this forum have had much, much nicer experiences with placement and placement information with Interac.

And even the handout I received seems to indicate that you're placed before you're in Japan (otherwise how could you get the visa?)... so I'm very confused, and not about to ask them again... (they started to get real cross when I was confused about the issue)

I think all those companies are the same. They make you wait too long to find out if you were hired, they want to push you around, and they want to pay you peanuts. Even though you need a Uni degree to apply, that was not a requirement by these English schools.

So basically if the Japanese Gov didn't require a B.A for a VISA, then it would not be required. I applied at AEON, and during the 2nd interview at the end they started asking me if I was willing to go on a work holiday VISA, then once I get there they would get me a regular VISA. So I had to get $2500 in travelers cheques, and get a return ticket (they said they would give me an agent who would refund me the return flight fare). It started getting really shifty and turning into an investment on my end. Basically I told them that I didn't want to do that, and they didn't hire me.

As I see it, JET is my only option because I'm not really willing to pay out of pocket for some company, and I don't want to be put in some weird situation where I might be breaking the law. They must have lots of people who are willing to bend over backwards, because it was kinda ridiculous what they asked me to do.

cvmurrieta
May 20th, 2009, 13:03
I will say one positive for Interac. Interac will reimburse me for my train fare going to the interview and then for my way back if I am hired. JET offered no such reimbursement of transportation costs to the consulate or back.

Neb
May 20th, 2009, 13:15
IF you're hired? So if you're not, they leave you stranded?

cvmurrieta
May 20th, 2009, 15:06
I'm sorry for the confusion. They told me they will reimburse me for my fare to Tokyo for sure. I'd just be SOL regarding the return fare to Sendai if I am not hired.

May 20th, 2009, 16:20
Um, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but JET pays for the flights to and from Japan. I'll take that over transportation expenses to the interview location anyday.

Pip
May 20th, 2009, 23:35
I had an interview with Interac last night and it went splendidly right up to the part where he wanted me to come to a seminar and it turned out that the seminar I wanted to sign up for in Halifax does not exist (wasn't even cancelled). Being in Utah and not overly familar with Canadian geography, he suggested that Ottawa might be okay, but when I told him it would be an expensive plane flight to get there for this weekend, he told me this:
Right now they have very few positions open, and though they are happy to have everyone come to their seminars, they're only really looking to fill a few very rural spots, and if you don't/can't drive in Japan, it's extremely unlikely you'll be considered.
I appreciated his honesty, though there is no way I would have been flying to Ottawa this weekend anyway. He was very nice and suggested applying later in the year for the March positions, which I may do, though it's more and more likely I'll be EPIKking it up in Korea.
Also: five thousand dollars as setup money because you may not get your first paycheck for two months? Dude, if I had five thousand dollars kicking around, I'd... well, I'd still be applying, but damn.

cvmurrieta
May 21st, 2009, 07:02
Um, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but JET pays for the flights to and from Japan. I'll take that over transportation expenses to the interview location anyday.

JET already paid my way over here. I suppose I could still get that ticket home if I wanted.

cvmurrieta
May 21st, 2009, 07:03
I had an interview with Interac last night and it went splendidly right up to the part where he wanted me to come to a seminar and it turned out that the seminar I wanted to sign up for in Halifax does not exist (wasn't even cancelled). Being in Utah and not overly familar with Canadian geography, he suggested that Ottawa might be okay, but when I told him it would be an expensive plane flight to get there for this weekend, he told me this:
Right now they have very few positions open, and though they are happy to have everyone come to their seminars, they're only really looking to fill a few very rural spots, and if you don't/can't drive in Japan, it's extremely unlikely you'll be considered.
I appreciated his honesty, though there is no way I would have been flying to Ottawa this weekend anyway. He was very nice and suggested applying later in the year for the March positions, which I may do, though it's more and more likely I'll be EPIKking it up in Korea.
Also: five thousand dollars as setup money because you may not get your first paycheck for two months? Dude, if I had five thousand dollars kicking around, I'd... well, I'd still be applying, but damn.

Hence, why Korea still holds an allure for some people, even old Japan hands like myself!

Utah? I have thought about relocating there after JET. My stepdad has a place in Park City.

Pip
May 21st, 2009, 20:55
Hence, why Korea still holds an allure for some people, even old Japan hands like myself!

Utah? I have thought about relocating there after JET. My stepdad has a place in Park City.

Phil the Interac dude was calling from Utah, I'm in New Brunswick, Canada. Judging from a pool of just Phil, though, I'd say Utah is quite nice. I've heard the choirs are lovely.

cvmurrieta
May 22nd, 2009, 09:09
Didn't see the Mormom Tabernacle Choir perform, but I did go on a tour with my parents 20 years ago when I first visitied Utah.

curtaineater
May 31st, 2009, 17:25
five thousand dollars as setup money because you may not get your first paycheck for two months? Dude, if I had five thousand dollars kicking around, I'd... well, I'd still be applying, but damn.

yeah man, you're telling me! i'm really worried about having enough money. from what i've gathered, 5k is a high estimate. i've heard many people say they did it for 2k. i'm bringing every fucking penny i've got, though! i dont want to take any risks.

cvmurrieta
June 3rd, 2009, 21:38
yeah man, you're telling me! i'm really worried about having enough money. from what i've gathered, 5k is a high estimate. i've heard many people say they did it for 2k. i'm bringing every fucking penny i've got, though! i dont want to take any risks.

I wonder if the 5K is due to placements in urban areas. As long as you are placed in a suburb or inaka, then probably 2K should be fine. I asked for the Tohoku area as I know that it will be cheaper than places like Tokyo or Osaka.

loljapan
June 3rd, 2009, 23:00
I wonder if the 5K is due to placements in urban areas. As long as you are placed in a suburb or inaka, then probably 2K should be fine. I asked for the Tohoku area as I know that it will be cheaper than places like Tokyo or Osaka.

I was in the inaka and my apartment wanted 5k for key money:013:

cvmurrieta
June 4th, 2009, 09:09
I stand corrected. I guess the inaka people want us to pay for living in their lovely little burghs.

mteacher80
June 4th, 2009, 09:55
i was always told that keymoney was a kansai thing. i mean i know they do it all over but have been told it is more expensive there. was told that by my supervisor.

Neb
June 4th, 2009, 10:17
I was in the inaka and my apartment wanted 5k for key money:013:
and what was your solution to this? new apartment?

mteacher80
June 4th, 2009, 10:21
yeah moved to a whole different city if i remember correctly.

cvmurrieta
June 5th, 2009, 19:48
Well, at least for now I'll be working at Interac come September. I just hope I can stay in the Tohoku area.

curtaineater
June 6th, 2009, 18:17
that means we're coworkers! its going to be like a total shitcom.

FiercestCalm
June 7th, 2009, 01:01
Congrats, cv!

cvmurrieta
June 8th, 2009, 12:45
Congrats, cv!

Yes, thank you. It looks as if I may come across one poster on ITIL and Dave's ESL Cafe

cvmurrieta
June 10th, 2009, 19:19
I just saw Interac advertise on gaijinpot for a CIR position in Shikoku. Of course, I applied. I suppose if I am offered an ALT position in Miyagi or Yamagata that I will stay in the Tohoku area.

loljapan
June 10th, 2009, 20:56
and what was your solution to this? new apartment?

I told them I couldn't afford it under any circumstances and they found me a new apartment. This was when I first got to Japan so I didn't have to know-how to find an apartment on my own. Now I am much wiser on such thingshttp://brentroad.com/images/beatup.gif

cvmurrieta
June 11th, 2009, 09:28
I told them I couldn't afford it under any circumstances and they found me a new apartment. This was when I first got to Japan so I didn't have to know-how to find an apartment on my own. Now I am much wiser on such thingshttp://brentroad.com/images/beatup.gif

Hmm, loljapan, you just gave me a great idea!

Spring
June 12th, 2009, 11:27
Interac and JET are the same type of job, you are an ALT placed directly into the Japanese schools. JET pays a little more, but Interac gets a hell of a lot more in paid vacation days.

Neb
June 12th, 2009, 11:34
No it doesn't, are you sure you thinking of the same Interec everyone else is ?

Gusuke
June 12th, 2009, 11:45
Hahahaha, about a 600,000 yen salary difference (Plus not taking into account private ALT's either don't get paid for summer or get reduced salaries for that month) is a HUGE difference.

Spring
June 12th, 2009, 12:01
Interac gets about the entire month off in August and over two weeks off for Winter vacation with like %75 of your salary or something like that.

As I am aware JET's get to choose 20 paid vacation/sick days for the year and that's it, right?

Gusuke
June 12th, 2009, 12:04
ESID; I get 10 days of nenkyu and a lot of byokyu (I think, I'm only ever used a week), but I'm not required to go to work at all during August.

cvmurrieta
June 12th, 2009, 12:34
I am not going to claim for ALTs that Interac is better than JET. I agree that JET is all around the better. But I'll take any somewhat decent job (comparatively speaking) until I can find something better. CIRs don't always get a great deal on JET. Since it is assumed that our Japanese is better than that of ALTs (maybe most of the time, not always), that we will also understand the Japanese mindset better.

loljapan
June 12th, 2009, 12:54
Interac gets about the entire month off in August and over two weeks off for Winter vacation with like %75 of your salary or something like that.

As I am aware JET's get to choose 20 paid vacation/sick days for the year and that's it, right?

I'd rather get 20 days of nenkyu, unlimited byokyu and be paid to surf the internet in the summer than deal with some of the crap Interac people seem to have to deal with.

Spring
June 12th, 2009, 15:23
My brother works for JET and says he has to work in August, he has to go to the BOE 2 hours a day.

As far as unlimited sick days, I can't believe that. I would guess you would be let go (or warned) after calling in sick for the 5th-10th time, whether it be JET or Interac.

Not counting sick days, this is the vacation comparison as far as I know;

JET: 20 Paid Vacation days (of your choice)

Interac: August off (60% of your salary), 15 set days off in December (%75 of your salary), plus 5 fully paid vacation days (of your choice).

I'm sure it is the same for JET, but Interac also gets every Japanese holiday off (ie. Emperor's Birthday, Vernal Equinox Day, Culture day, Respect-for-the-Age day, Autumnal Equinox Day, Sports Day, etc.)

Gusuke
June 12th, 2009, 15:46
My brother works for JET and says he has to work in August, he has to go to the BOE 2 hours a day.

As far as unlimited sick days, I can't believe that. I would guess you would be let go (or warned) after calling in sick for the 5th-10th time, whether it be JET or Interac.

Not counting sick days, this is the vacation comparison as far as I know;

JET: 20 Paid Vacation days (of your choice)

Interac: August off (60% of your salary), 15 set days off in December (%75 of your salary), plus 5 fully paid vacation days (of your choice).

I'm sure it is the same for JET, but Interac also gets every Japanese holiday off (ie. Emperor's Birthday, Vernal Equinox Day, Culture day, Respect-for-the-Age day, Autumnal Equinox Day, Sports Day, etc.)

Yet your still making less on Interac :lol:

Spring
June 12th, 2009, 16:02
Yet your still making less on Interac :lol:

That's true. JET gets paid 50,000 Yen a month than Interac, housing subsidized and air fare paid for.

Interac lacks all three of these, but has better paid vacation days as one can see.

Also, I don't know if JET has "Home standby days" but this means the schools sometimes don't need you there for whatever reason (school trip, school event, canceled English class, etc.) and Interac doesn't have work for you that day, and you still get paid for it. I don't have many home standby days this year, but last year I had around 20 or so.

Gusuke
June 12th, 2009, 16:05
That's true. JET gets paid 50,000 Yen a month than Interac, housing subsidized and air fare paid for.

Interac lacks all three of these, but has better paid vacation days as one can see.

Also, I don't know if JET has "Home standby days" but this means the schools sometimes don't need you there for whatever reason (school trip, school event, canceled English class, etc.) and Interac doesn't have work for you that day, and you still get paid for it. I don't have many home standby days this year, but last year I had around 20 or so.

Like I said before, it's ESID with vacation days.

There's JET's like me who don't have to go to the BoE, there are some who have to, some people get 30 days of nenkyu, etc.

We also get paid if classes are cancelled. :roll:

Overall, Interac is much worse.

Spring
June 12th, 2009, 16:10
Like I said before, it's ESID with vacation days.

There's JET's like me who don't have to go to the BoE, there are some who have to, some people get 30 days of nenkyu, etc.

We also get paid if classes are cancelled. :roll:

Overall, Interac is much worse.

So it sounds like you are one of the lucky ones to not have to go to the BOE in August.

In my personal opinion, I would say JET is better than Interac because it pays more and you get your housing subsidized. JET's may have to work more than Interac ALT's but I would prefer the money.

Also, how do you know if Interac is much worse? Have you worked for them?

Gusuke
June 12th, 2009, 16:13
There is enough information online detailing their business practices, and along with other semi-illegal shenanigans the dispatch companies engage in.

Hell, this story about what they did to this guy is terrible http://www.debito.org/?p=2993

And no, I've never worked for them and would never stoop down to that level.

Spring
June 12th, 2009, 16:20
There is enough information online detailing their business practices, and along with other semi-illegal shenanigans the dispatch companies engage in.

Hell, this story about what they did to this guy is terrible http://www.debito.org/?p=2993

And no, I've never worked for them and would never stoop down to that level.

It's pretty low to stoop to a level of bashing something you haven't even experienced. I'm in my second year working for Interac and I have zero complaints. Information and stories can be found online about people who have been screwed over by the JET program, but it just depends on the person and their own experience.

Gusuke
June 12th, 2009, 17:34
It's pretty low to stoop to a level of bashing something you haven't even experienced. I'm in my second year working for Interac and I have zero complaints. Information and stories can be found online about people who have been screwed over by the JET program, but it just depends on the person and their own experience.

Just because I've never smoked rock doesn't mean I can't bash it.

The majority of screwed up JET placements are in the minority compared to people getting screwed over by dispatch companies on hours/salaries/time off/etc.

But then again, I don't seem to have a complex towards teachers making more than I.

Spring
June 12th, 2009, 18:12
Just because I've never smoked rock doesn't mean I can't bash it.

The majority of screwed up JET placements are in the minority compared to people getting screwed over by dispatch companies on hours/salaries/time off/etc.

But then again, I don't seem to have a complex towards teachers making more than I.

You are entitled to your opinion, but if you read the comments on the previous pages most posts are expressing that JET nor Interac are bad companies. This is coming from people who have experience actually worked for these companies.

People who are undecided where to work come to this forum and particularly this thread to gain positive insight and good rational information about both companies. You should really review your bias and ambiguous attacks on Interec and think about why you don't like them, and then express that with more explanation. Instead what people see under your posts is an avatar with a picture of trailer trash on it and the grace and elegance that can only be found at a Taco Bell restroom.

Also, like I said before, my brother works for JET. The last thing I have is a complex against my own brother for making a mere $500 more than me a month.

AliDimayev
June 12th, 2009, 18:14
a mere $500?

Who would scoff at a 20% pay raise?

Neb
June 12th, 2009, 18:20
Seriously.. $500 is not "mere", and I think JET expenses tend to be lower than those of Interec because a lot of stuff gets subsidized with JET (not only rent)...oh and we do have a few people on these boards who have been interec and switched over to JET, and have mostly bad things to say about their experience with interec. I'm sure interec isn't all bad, but I bet you on AVERAGE, there is more shit that can and will go wrong with interec, as opposed to JET, where I bet shitty situations are the rarity rather than the norm. Oh and having said that, did you apply to JET? Cause even though Interec isn't the worlds worst job, JET has it beat in most cases. Did you apply to JET?

Spring
June 12th, 2009, 18:35
I have been saying all along that JET is a better job to have. I do not disagree there. As far as I know it is the best company to go for regarding teaching English in Japan. But that doesn't mean Interec and everything else is shit. Let's be realistic here.

Interac gets paid $500 less than JET a month. But with that, I just counted, and get 66 paid days off this year (Excluding all weekends and national holidays).

To answer your question; no, I didn't apply to JET. I went straight to Interac and am satisfied with my choice.

AliDimayev
June 12th, 2009, 18:56
And in that end, that is all that matters.

Why do you think rich people or peopel who are relatively well-off commit suicide, but some bumpkin who makes next to nothing but has plenty of time to do the hunting and other crap he enjoys can live a perfectly happy and content life.

Neb
June 12th, 2009, 19:19
Well, you may get August off and 15 days in winter, but depending on where you are placed, you can get these perks with JET as well, although granted that's not the norm. However, August off and 15 days in winter off come with price cuts, so you say 66 vacation days, but that's not exactly the case. 60% of August (31 days) is around 19 days, so you get paid for 19 days (aka paid vacation if you will), but the other 12 days are UNPAID. Same goes for 15 days off winter, 75%, so you get 11 days paid for, but that leaves 4 days unpaid. So in total, you get 30 days paid for (plus the 5 paid of your choice, for a total of 35 paid vacation days in the year), rather than the 46 (or 51 including the 5 paid days of your choice) you claim you get. Some JETs, for example those who are in Ishikawa, get an extra 15 days of vacation called cultural furlough on top of the 20 vacation days JETs get, so the JETs who live in Ishikawa get a total of 35 paid vacation days, which is pretty much the same as what you get off (in terms of paid vacation). And this does not include the generosity that some BOEs offer to their JETs, like giving a few days off here and there (mostly around vacations like Golden week and around News Years).

kamukamuume
June 12th, 2009, 21:39
What are all y'all on about? It seems like Spring is having a decent experience with interac, and he's admitted multiple times that JET is preferable in terms of pay.

I think it'd be hard to make a case for interac being better than JET, but for all intents and purposes, the job portion of it is identical, and the pay is more than enough to live on. I'm a JET and I have plenty of friends in both camps.

If you want to experience Japan, get a bit of teaching under your belt, etc. Interac probably fulfills your wishes just fine in the majority of cases.

Also, it's easy to say that the percentage of bad experiences with interac is higher, but I've yet to see anyone pull up any real numbers. I personally find the concept of a recruiting company profiting for your work to be a bit repugnant, but it's basically tolerating that less than optimal aspect to do something you want to do.

I would've considered it if JET'd fallen through.

Gusuke
June 13th, 2009, 08:53
You are entitled to your opinion, but if you read the comments on the previous pages most posts are expressing that JET nor Interac are bad companies. This is coming from people who have experience actually worked for these companies.

People who are undecided where to work come to this forum and particularly this thread to gain positive insight and good rational information about both companies. You should really review your bias and ambiguous attacks on Interec and think about why you don't like them, and then express that with more explanation. Instead what people see under your posts is an avatar with a picture of trailer trash on it and the grace and elegance that can only be found at a Taco Bell restroom.

Also, like I said before, my brother works for JET. The last thing I have is a complex against my own brother for making a mere $500 more than me a month.

:lol:

Goddamn are you ignorant

My avatar is of Giorgio Moroder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgio_Morodor)

I sure do seem to be hated here by everyone, especially in that bro poll :roll:

Spring
June 13th, 2009, 09:11
Oh wow, your link changes everything. Just made my ignore list.

hammer
June 25th, 2009, 08:32
Can someone do a quick comparison between JET and Interac (and other popular companies)?

Im wanting to go to Japan for the experience and whatnot, not so much the money, so I dont mind if the pay differs that much.

From the brief look ive had at Interac website, they recommend you to bring 500,000JPY for "initial costs". Seems pretty crazy to me =S

curtaineater
June 26th, 2009, 00:39
Is it just me or is this Spring guy kind of insane?

I can attest to the lesser quality of an Interac job as compared to a JET position. I was supposed to leave this august, but due to my placement it wasn't worth the amount it would cost just to get there and get situated. Now I'm stuck waiting around until April.

elleohelle
June 26th, 2009, 23:09
Where'd they place you, curtain?

curtaineater
June 28th, 2009, 17:15
very, very rural. and i had to buy a car.

cvmurrieta
June 29th, 2009, 09:40
very, very rural. and i had to buy a car.

I got a job with a placement agency in Sendai that will send me to schools as an ALT in southern Miyagi. Not as good as JET but better than Interac. The placement agency will still pay into social insurance, which means I don't have to pay for national health insurance all by myself. They can't offer me a place to live, but they will act as my guarantor. I will be going to 10 schools. I will still get paid for days I don't have to be there.

I am not worried about finding a place to live since I can stay with the girlfried for a while.

Pay will be less than JET, but I will have more free time and can still work a second job. I think JET can be VERY sweet if you have a CO or BoE that at least sees you as a human being. In the case of mine, that extra $500 a month can't make up for the mental anguish I have suffered for almost a year.

Spring
June 29th, 2009, 13:09
Is it just me or is this Spring guy kind of insane?

I can attest to the lesser quality of an Interac job as compared to a JET position.

Insane because I am having a positive experience with Intereac and have a different point of view? Let's be realistic here.

You say you can attest to the lesser quality of an Interac job compared to a JET. I suppose you have worked for both then?

I was supposed to leave this august, but due to my placement it wasn't worth the amount it would cost just to get there and get situated. Now I'm stuck waiting around until April.

Were you in an OK state of mind when you wrote this story? It's so vague and missing so much information it almost doesn't make any sense.

Leave this August to go where? Do you mean your previous placement, present placement or future placement? Where is the placement? Cost to get Where, to your new placement? Are you trying to say your new placement was too expensive to get situated to? Why are you stuck waiting around and where are you stuck waiting around? And lastly, how does all of this relate to Interac?

Urthona
June 29th, 2009, 14:41
Leave this August to go where? Do you mean your previous placement, present placement or future placement? Where is the placement? Cost to get Where, to your new placement? Are you trying to say your new placement was too expensive to get situated to? Why are you stuck waiting around and where are you stuck waiting around? And lastly, how does all of this relate to Interac?

I'm pretty sure any native speaker can understand what she meant. Let's breaking it down!

I was supposed to leave this august, but due to my placement it wasn't worth the amount it would cost just to get there and get situated. Now I'm stuck waiting around until April."I was supposed to leave this August..." - Clearly, she is talking about a position with Interac that she received and turned down.

"But due to my placement it wasn't worth the amount it would cost just to get there and get situated." - This would be again, her future placement. She isn't in Japan yet. She didn't like the location, the cost, etc.

Finally, she is waiting until later before trying again and hoping for a better location.

Wakatta
June 29th, 2009, 17:20
I also found that somewhat confusing. Maybe a linebreak after "I can attest..." would help?

Spring
June 30th, 2009, 09:00
I also found that somewhat confusing. Maybe a linebreak after "I can attest..." would help?

Agreed. I'm sure curtaineater will provide more info on what he was trying to say.

Schuldich
July 2nd, 2009, 10:27
Just going to say I work for Interac and I like my job. I don't make as much money, but I like that any school issues that come up are handled by the company. This is also just my situation but the JTEs here have told me they view Interac ALTs are more professional due to the rules we follow and such. (IE dress code, training, etc.) I think this is more a reflection of past JETs in this area more than anything else.

Granted there are JET perks that many people will want and go for. I however weighed the options and decided JET was not for me so I did not apply. I personally wanted the option of transfering if I didn't like my placement. That was a big point for me. Hwever I lucked out and I really like my placement. I also wanted more time off even if it meant less pay. I don't like fighting for vacation time and sometimes people get iffy even when you simply ask for it. It is nice for me to know I have time set aside every year for when I want go on trips.

I will say with Interac though every BRANCH is different. I have had good experiences with my branch, but the rules and procedures with each one are very different.

I think Interac like JET can be a crapshoot. You never know what you are going to get until you get it. You can be happy or you can be miserable.

I think it is possible to work for Interac and be happy. They may have exactly what you are looking for. However I can't say too much on the JET side since everything I know comes from my JET friends and what I read online on forums. I will say that online people tend to spin the negative more than the positive so JET can come across as very bleak at times, but I am sure it has awesome moments as well.

It all comes down to what the person is looking for in a job. For some people it isn't all about the pay and for some it is.

cvmurrieta
July 2nd, 2009, 11:47
I don't like fighting for vacation time and sometimes people get iffy even when you simply ask for it. It is nice for me to know I have time set aside every year for I want go on trips.

I will say with Interac though every BRANCH is different. I have had good experiences with my branch, but the rules and procedures with each one are very different.

I think Interac like JET can be a crapshoot. You never know what you are going to get until you get it. You can be happy or you can be miserable.

I think it is possible to work for Interac and be happy.
It all comes down to what the person is looking for in a job. For some people it isn't all about the pay and for some it is.

Yes, I can tell you that my office is VERY stingy when it comes to granting time off. With my new non-Interac ALT job, I will have ample time. I think I still get paid during the days school is not in session (at least that is what my contract says).

I second that about the differences between Interac branches and head office. I got an email that I was accepted by Interac on June 5. Then the recruiting manager tells me yesterday that I was not hired. In the meantime, Interac Hiroshima still continues to call me even though head office told me I wasn't hired!

Yes, JET can be a crap shoot like Interac. Some CIRs are treated wonderfully while others like me are just looked upon as hired help and not even able to offer expertise about our home countries.

You hit the nail on the head about creating your own happiness in whatever environment you find yourself in. Good on you!

Spring
July 2nd, 2009, 11:53
Just going to say I work for Interac and I like my job. I don't make as much money, but I like that any school issues that come up are handled by the company. This is also just my situation but the JTEs here have told me they view Interac ALTs are more professional due to the rules we follow and such. (IE dress code, training, etc.) I think this is more a reflection of past JETs in this area more than anything else.

Granted there are JET perks that many people will want and go for. I however weighed the options and decided JET was not for me so I did not apply. I personally wanted the option of transfering if I didn't like my placement. That was a big point for me. Hwever I lucked out and I really like my placement. I also wanted more time off even if it meant less pay. I don't like fighting for vacation time and sometimes people get iffy even when you simply ask for it. It is nice for me to know I have time set aside every year for I want go on trips.

I think it is possible to work for Interac and be happy. They may have exactly what you are looking for. However I can't say too much on the JET side since everything I know comes from my JET friends and what I read online on forums. I will say that online people tend to spin the negative more than the positive so JET can come across as very bleak at times, but I am sure it has awesome moments as well.

Very well said, I pretty much feel the same way.

cvmurrieta
July 2nd, 2009, 12:46
On many days since I have become a CIR, I wish I could have returned to teaching eikaiwa in the 90s.

Not sure how I'd feel if I had become a JET ALT instead of a JET CIR.

UPGRAYEDD
July 2nd, 2009, 15:56
I had 3 classes yesterday where I only spoke 23 words combined.

It's no big deal. Lots of money per word.

I imagine some interac placements are the same.

Neb
July 2nd, 2009, 16:24
You even counted them

cvmurrieta
July 3rd, 2009, 09:29
I had 3 classes yesterday where I only spoke 23 words combined.

It's no big deal. Lots of money per word.

I imagine some interac placements are the same.

And who said being a human tape recorder doesn't have its perks??!!!

jmoriarty84
July 6th, 2009, 03:25
I applied for JET, but only made it as an alternate =(. I know of some sister city ALT programs in Phoenix, Arizona with Himeji (which I also applied for and I screwed up the interview, but I thought I did very well in the JET one) and I think there are also a few in Wisconsin and Indiana. The pay is just as good as JET's and I have some friends who did Phoenix/Himeji and they loved it. The apartment is also free with them, but not sure about the other sister city programs though.

I applied for Interac (and this was as a means of being my last resort) despite being aware of their shady reputation. After submitting my application, they gave me an interview in Phoenix the following Monday and I'm set to go to Kagawa in Shikoku (with an orientation in Hiroshima, where I studied abroad during my senior year of high school) later this summer. I have never been to Shikoku and decided to make the best of this opportunity. Plus, I have friends and family in Hiroshima and Okayama so I know of a convenient means of reliance.

But if the in the event that JET provides me an upgrade, then I'll go for JET instead.

Spring
July 6th, 2009, 11:41
I applied for JET, but only made it as an alternate =(. I know of some sister city ALT programs in Phoenix, Arizona with Himeji (which I also applied for and I screwed up the interview, but I thought I did very well in the JET one) and I think there are also a few in Wisconsin and Indiana. The pay is just as good as JET's and I have some friends who did Phoenix/Himeji and they loved it. The apartment is also free with them, but not sure about the other sister city programs though.

I applied for Interac (and this was as a means of being my last resort) despite being aware of their shady reputation. After submitting my application, they gave me an interview in Phoenix the following Monday and I'm set to go to Kagawa in Shikoku (with an orientation in Hiroshima, where I studied abroad during my senior year of high school) later this summer. I have never been to Shikoku and decided to make the best of this opportunity. Plus, I have friends and family in Hiroshima and Okayama so I know of a convenient means of reliance.

But if the in the event that JET provides me an upgrade, then I'll go for JET instead.

Decided to take the job even knowing about your new employer's shady reputation? A little risky, no? But the truth is, you have nothing to be worried about, Interac isn't a shady business, at least from my personal experience. Other than the fact that you are basically all on your own with the finances (besides transportation that's reimbursed) you shouldn't be disappointed with Interac.

jmoriarty84
July 6th, 2009, 11:49
Well, I suppose it can't be worse than Nova, ne? Plus, I've worked for a far inferior company before.....Heart......

Plus, I don't want to wait another year for JET, and continue my lame job as a substitute teacher that majored in Japanese and studio art. With Interac, at least I'm not too far from Hiroshima. If I decide to renew my contract, hopefully they can transfer me there directly and I can find my own place with my family's help.

Spring
July 6th, 2009, 12:13
Well, I suppose it can't be worse than Nova, ne? Plus, I've worked for a far inferior company before.....Heart......

Plus, I don't want to wait another year for JET, and continue my lame job as a substitute teacher that majored in Japanese and studio art. With Interac, at least I'm not too far from Hiroshima. If I decide to renew my contract, hopefully they can transfer me there directly and I can find my own place with my family's help.

Yeah transferring isn't a problem with Interac. You might have a problem getting a pin point location preference, but if you let them know well in advance about your interest in transfering to a specific area, they'll probably get you in that general region.

cvmurrieta
July 8th, 2009, 15:04
with a brief transfer request I am now living and teaching in Miyagi.

No wonder why Interac told me there were no Miyagi positions available LOL

Spring
July 10th, 2009, 14:52
No wonder why Interac told me there were no Miyagi positions available LOL

What do you mean? Working with Interac?

cvmurrieta
July 16th, 2009, 09:41
But you are in Sendai now, and working with Interac?

I am in Sendai and working with the Miyagi kencho for only one more week!!!!!

I work a half-day today and head down to Watari-cho to meet the BoE. From August 1, I will be their ALT. Immi even processed my visa status change to ALT in 3 days. But I have until August 13 to get it changed. If I get it changed now, then I can't work my final week at the kencho.

I got my ALT job through Temp Staff Kamei. I really like the lady who is handling the details of my hiring. She knows her stuff (and cute to boot!).

Japansage
September 2nd, 2009, 11:39
They made it pretty clear in my seminar that the boards of education have to pick you and they wait until just about one month before you leave. That is why you don't know where you are going based on what they told me.

They also said I HAVE a job. It is kind of like being accepted into JET. You get the job but you don't know where you are going until months later. Not a hard concept.

I have been working here a while now and I never heard of anyone having to move. Did you get the job Spec-R?

arislan
September 10th, 2009, 07:24
Wow, haven't been here since I was a JET alternate, but suddenly remembered and thought I'd stop by. I've been working for Interac for a year and a half so far, and I really love it. I think it does definitely depend on your branch though, and also your BOE and schools. (The BOE is a factor in the holiday you're assigned, and also your placements)

Haven't really had any problems with the company themselves, except when there was a bit of confusion about contracts... but that was mostly down to the branch office being staffed by about 5 people, and they definitely tried to fix it as fast as they could. The Interac staff on a more local level are really lovely (though head office in Tokyo...)

Er - yeah. I love my city, love my schools (2 JH, 3 elementary), love the people I've met here, and couldn't really be happier with the way things happened. JET would've been nice for the extra money, but I'm really glad I ended up where I did.

DarkOpus
March 12th, 2010, 22:00
Apologies for the threadomancy, but I thought I'd post here rather than starting a whole new topic.

Anyway, I've been interviewed for JET and it went OK. I think I have a very strong paper application as well, however, I'm working on back-up plans. Interac is probably my first fall-back option, however, whenever I look at the available jobs on their website they always mention how they're for people already residing in Japan. How do you actually get onto Interac without being in Japan?

Crab
March 13th, 2010, 00:31
Apologies for the threadomancy, but I thought I'd post here rather than starting a whole new topic.

Anyway, I've been interviewed for JET and it went OK. I think I have a very strong paper application as well, however, I'm working on back-up plans. Interac is probably my first fall-back option, however, whenever I look at the available jobs on their website they always mention how they're for people already residing in Japan. How do you actually get onto Interac without being in Japan?

Apply.

Have you heard of google? Interac do interviews everywhere.

Sirrus
May 28th, 2010, 00:31
I had been interviewed by Interac almost a year ago but ultimately was not offered a job with them. The recruiters said they had wanted to hire me but the corporate headquarters apparently said other wise. I got nervous and stumbled alittle during my demo which I'm sure probably lead to the decision. Despite that, the recruiters said I could re-apply again when I felt ready which I did but message I got back said they had a strict policy on applicants re-applying. Not sure if anyone else has had this experience with ALT-staffing companies or Eikaiwa's.
I've applied to JET before but didn't get to the interview process. I've heard though that JET is taking in less people not mention the number of applicants has increased.:(

Hikari
June 6th, 2010, 21:28
Sirrus if you're still able to apply for JET this coming year, don't give up. Obviously don't wait around for it either - apply for other programs, do interesting stuff with your life. But it's certainly possible to get in a second time. And don't believe for an instant the people who are "elitist" about 2nd+ time applicants. Sometimes it just doesn't work out for various reasons, it's a competitive process and you can change a lot in a year. I was rejected the first year and got some more teaching experience of sorts, got involved in more stuff and really went all out with the references. And I'm shortlisted thsi year.

Good luck.