PDA

View Full Version : Kitties

Erdrick
January 25th, 2008, 12:40
How difficult would it be to get a cat here. And also the returning of it to the States after my tenure is up? Cause I want a kitty.

KateW
January 25th, 2008, 12:47
My boyfriend and I adopted a kitty from another ALT here, so I'm afraid I can't be a lot of help in your quest to find one, but we did look up procedures for taking her back. We researched the pet immigration laws for Canada. Apparently Canada and Japan are on each other's 'safe lists' for animals, because rabies and other such diseases are so low in the general pet population. This means you can bring a pet home, but you need a certificate showing it's rabies free, and most airlines require a special carrier.

I'd suggest picking up a stray, but...eeeeeyah...maybe a little too much trouble? Maybe not, of course. Good luck!

Pandilex
January 25th, 2008, 13:22
I wouldn't buy one from a shop, buy one off a friend / newspaper. Much cheaper / free than paying the 500 quid plus from a shop.

monkey_bum
January 25th, 2008, 13:43
i suggest that your first stop should be a vet. They often have a bunch of strays, or unwanted animals for cheap

Elfen
January 25th, 2008, 15:27
I heard that it's almost impossible to find an apartment that will accept pets in Japan. Of course, there's always the option of just getting one anyway and hiding it from your landlord, depending on how big your complex is.

Actually shipping pets back home is another matter... Flights are very stressful on animals - especially cats - and if you don't have your paperwork 100% in order, it could have to spend up to 6 months in quarantine once you get it home.

KateW
January 25th, 2008, 15:31
I heard that it's almost impossible to find an apartment that will accept pets in Japan. Of course, there's always the option of just getting one anyway and hiding it from your landlord, depending on how big your complex is.

+1 Mine is small, but the landlord doesn't live there. I think the neighbours know, but considering the amount of noise from their kids I put up with, I should HOPE they don't say anything. Whenever a teacher comes by we just hide her stuff away and keep her outside. S'all good.

Powers
January 25th, 2008, 16:24
Elfen, most of us live in inaka, so not apartments. :lol: If I want a cat I can just walk over to the nearest farm and take one! :)

Taking a cat back home to Canada or the US is supposed to be easy, but apparently there is a 6 month quarantine on any animals coming into Japan...

dombay
January 25th, 2008, 16:29
I live in an apartment in the inaka ...?

Funny that - I am one of the most inaka placements in this ken and the people who are far less inaka have these great big houses the fuckers ...

But yea - think of what the cat would do to your tatami!!

I'd love a cat but I can just imagine the tatami destruction. Mate of mine brought round his beautiful black labrador the other week and that made me miss my dogs and cats back home!

Elfen
January 25th, 2008, 16:34
Didn't realize that inaka were devoid of apartment complexes. I grew up in the Texas version of inaka (tiny cattle farming town), and we had several apartment complexes. Granted, they were pretty much a half step above tenements and the only people who rented there were the ones making minimum wage, but we had them. I was kind of expecting the same thing in Japan.

Powers
January 25th, 2008, 16:36
I have a connected house, but it is fairly small (2 rooms+bathroom. It is however brand new and well-insulated.) Everyone else I know that lives outside of the regional city is in 3-5 room 1-storey houses.

dombay
January 25th, 2008, 16:50
well my apartment's reasonably big ... there's bigger apartments for JETs around here though ...

But I kind of like living in one. I became really good friends with the guy in the next apartment and it's a great way to get to know your neighbours living so close to them!

He complains about my singing in the mornings before work and I complain about his having loud sex - we sort of got friendlier through that in a way.

Erdrick
January 25th, 2008, 23:46
None of you have disuaded me from finding a kitty. My apartment is big enough to hid one of the buggers. And my landlady is just crazy enough for me to blame it on tv or videogames.

As to the Tatami room problem, that is what scratching posts are foor.

dombay
January 26th, 2008, 01:20
What cat is going to give up a nice tatami mat for a crappy scratching post?

dombay
January 26th, 2008, 01:21
Trust me kids thread is way more fun when you know the guy who is posting this.

Waldroon
January 26th, 2008, 01:28
My apartment complex is quite litterally infested with cats that previous tenants thought would be totally awesome to have and then decided not to take along when they moved.

Just don't be that guy.

swedeinshiga
January 28th, 2008, 10:18
got two houses and a guest house :D what do I win???

Seriously though, the tatami part is fixed by getting a carpet....we did that after we brought our dog here from Sweden. If you don't, kiss those tatamis goodbye (and yes they are expensive to change) so get some carpet and throw in your cat there.

January 28th, 2008, 13:08
I wish my apartment was smaller. I have no neighbours except cats, so please take them away. Apparently there was a dead on on saturday

ChuChuRocket!
January 29th, 2008, 10:23
I found many a kitty foot print in the snow today outside my house. Oh the fun!

swedeinshiga
January 29th, 2008, 11:04
I wanna have all cats in my area shot :evil: bastards keep running around on top of my car and they crap in my garden.

*plans to make a minefield at home for cats*

Blank
January 29th, 2008, 11:17
A cat did a poo in my garden the other day as well. I banged on the window while he was mid-turd to try and put him off, but he just looked round, paused for a second, and then plopped out another dollop. Arrogant bastard. Then he put some leaves over it.

Himawari
January 29th, 2008, 13:02
I have a kitty! I found him abandoned on the road as a kitten. Other JETs here got their cat from a vet, where cats sometimes wind up when their previous owners can`t care for them. If you`re worried about your tatami and furnishings, get a nice mellow adult cat and not a batshit crazy kitten. My cat didn`t do any damage to the tatami, but he did put a few slashes in the paper covering of the closet doors. He`s purely an indoor cat, so he has a lot of energy to spend tearing around the apartment, but at least he`s not out fighting with the strays and crapping in gardens.

Taking a cat to America shouldn`t be too hard as long as you get everything ready well in advance. It will need documentation proving it has had effective vaccinations.

ChuChuRocket!
January 29th, 2008, 13:04
A cat did a poo in my garden the other day as well. I banged on the window while he was mid-turd to try and put him off, but he just looked round, paused for a second, and then plopped out another dollop. Arrogant bastard. Then he put some leaves over it.

At least he used TP.

Ini
January 29th, 2008, 13:07
I wanna have all cats in my area shot :evil: bastards keep running around on top of my car and they crap in my garden.

Car antifreeze tastes sweet to cats so just leave a small saucer of it in your driveway if you have a cat problem.

nothing123
January 29th, 2008, 13:19

Car antifreeze tastes sweet to cats so just leave a small saucer of it in your driveway if you have a cat problem.

Is that actually true?

Ini
January 29th, 2008, 14:09
Of course it fucking is

bearsky23
January 29th, 2008, 14:11
Yeah, it's sweet to everything: cats, dogs, little kids. So you should never leave antifreeze where anything can get into it. Seriously. Deadly.

Erdrick
January 29th, 2008, 14:50
Yeah, it's sweet to everything: cats, dogs, little kids. So you should never leave antifreeze where anything can get into it. Seriously. Deadly.

technically not cats. They lack the gene which permits them to taste sweet. The taste buds exist, but the gene to turn them on and be active doesn't exist in them. Probably something to do with an evolutionary niche.

They are however, retarded as fuck, so will drink it anyways.

swedeinshiga
January 29th, 2008, 15:12
so if I was to leave a bowl of antifreeze in the office.........?

Erdrick
January 29th, 2008, 15:14
so if I was to leave a bowl of antifreeze in the office.........?

and your Kyoto-sensei was a cat. Yes, he would drink it. Problem solved.

Ini
January 29th, 2008, 15:14
best to mix it with shochu at an enkai

meganegaki
January 29th, 2008, 21:30
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fl20080126a2.html

Seems like the strays of Japan need some love. :(

swedeinshiga
January 30th, 2008, 08:21
best to mix it with shochu at an enkai

:lol: thanx Ini

dragonfly
February 1st, 2008, 22:46
I have a cat. My neighbours are awesome and don't say a word. I found him as a tiny, scruffy, starving furball outside. I want to find him a new home after his teeth come in and he's fixed but he's a biter. So I don't know what I'm going to do with him.

He's never touched the tatami though. He likes his scratcher and my pants better.

abba98zaba
April 11th, 2008, 11:58
So since we are talking about cats... I have 2 cats here in the states and I would love to bring them with me. They are indoor cats and are declawed in the front feet. Can I take them with me to Japan?

abba98zaba
April 11th, 2008, 11:59
Also, what is tatami?

KateW
April 11th, 2008, 12:03
Also, what is tatami?

...ouch.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatami

lains
April 11th, 2008, 12:21
So since we are talking about cats... I have 2 cats here in the states and I would love to bring them with me. They are indoor cats and are declawed in the front feet. Can I take them with me to Japan?

There is a GIANT thread from last year in the Applying section about cats/pets.
Overriding advice is DONT DO IT.
You wont know where you will be living for a while, your apartment probably wont let you keep a pet, and you will be spending the first few days in a hotel then travelling to your prefecture then prefectural orientation so who would pick them up from quarantine and look after them?

Leave them with a nice relative, kiss them goodbye and tell them youll be back soon.

abba98zaba
April 11th, 2008, 12:54
Thanks for the advice. THis is what I was thinking, but when people were talking about it, I got hopeful.

Also, thanks for the link!

kurara
April 11th, 2008, 13:18
As for cats, there may be a rescue group near you. I know in this area there:s a cat rescue ran by fellow foreigners. They:re the ones that are helping me figure out what to do about bringing my dog back to the states with me.

As for your apartment, I was told that in some places it:s that contract says no but landlord says if they don:t see it, it:s not there. My landlord doesn:t live near the place, so I:m not saying anything. The bugger is not allowed in the tatami room and he won:t go near it because the bucket that he:s afraid of is in there.

So far what I:ve gathered about taking a pet back to the states (if you said you:re from Canada or something I may have missed that), it must be up on it:s shots, have had a rabies vaccination at least 30 days before you leave, have a clean bill of health from the vet, and apparently I need an application for my export inspect submitted at least a week before I leave.

Also, when booking your flight, make sure you call and reserve a spot for your pet too. If he:s flying cargo, I think you don:t have to worry so much, but to fly in-cabin requires a reservation because they can only take so many per cabin.

...where:s my apostropes? Damned computer. Keep forgetting how to turn the J-go function off.