PDA

View Full Version : Ijime

Powers
February 28th, 2008, 13:03
Ijime (bullying) seems to be really bad right now in my area. I'm surprised, because the schools are pretty well disciplined, (no orange hair, or short skirts, no keitais allowed, pretty good students)

But last month a student killed themselves in the city because of bullying, and now for the last two days someone in my JHS here in the inaka has been putting thumbtacks in ninensei girls' shoes.

We just had a 20 minute emergency assembly, so we will see what happens.

Bullying happens everywhere, and I heard that it was particularly bad in Japan, I guess I'm just surprised and disappointed it's happening here. :smt009

josy
February 28th, 2008, 13:16
Shit. That sounds horrible.

:smt009 :smt009 :smt009 :smt009 :smt009 :smt009 :smt009

Do you see much bullying in your classes too?

nothing123
February 28th, 2008, 13:35
Get some boxing gloves and make them punch out their issues.

If for no other reason you'll have fun watching. You could even make some sly coin on the side if you sell tickets and run a bookies out of the gym changing rooms.

Trivial
February 28th, 2008, 13:39
If I caught one of those little bastards putting tacks in someone's shoes... Wow. It would be worth them doing it just so I could catch them.

nothing123
February 28th, 2008, 13:42
If I caught one of those little bastards putting tacks in someone's shoes... Wow. It would be worth them doing it just so I could catch them.

Pulp Fiction?

Ini
February 28th, 2008, 14:11
someone in my JHS here in the inaka has been putting thumbtacks in ninensei girls' shoes.

Yeah sorry about that, but someone needs to tell them to stop being such cockteasers

amagaeru
February 28th, 2008, 14:24
last month a student killed themselves in the city because of bullying

I wonder how many of these ijime-suicides are kids who have actually been psychologically destroyed by bullying, and how many are just upset kids who, because the issue has been so publicized in the media, think of it as the ultimate way to pay back their bullies and "make everyone sorry they were mean to me".

Ini
February 28th, 2008, 14:34
And how many were actually murdered by their bullys who just knocked up a quick suicide note and left it by the body?

swedeinshiga
February 28th, 2008, 14:36
people commit suicide for most things here it seems like at times....had a relative to my wife who jumped a bridge 'cause daddy didn't want to buy her a new car

Ini
February 28th, 2008, 14:42
had a relative to my wife who jumped a bridge

Fuck me, she cleared the whole bridge!?!

whos your wife?
http://supermanofsteel.com/Pictures/supergirl%202.jpg

swedeinshiga
February 28th, 2008, 14:44
had a relative to my wife who jumped a bridge

Fuck me, she cleared the whole bridge!?!

whos your wife?
http://supermanofsteel.com/Pictures/supergirl%202.jpg

how did you know?? 8O

Powers
February 28th, 2008, 15:00
Wish superwoman was MY wife.

Not that I'd have the stamina for her. :lol:

Timoshi
February 28th, 2008, 15:04
What's wrong with putting thumbtacks at the bottom of shoes?

Seems like a harmless prank to me. You walk, it goes click! click! click! In primary school, we used to do it to our own shoes. :S

swedeinshiga
February 28th, 2008, 15:04
I use cryptonite condoms for safety

February 28th, 2008, 15:17

Seems like a harmless prank to me. You walk, it goes click! click! click! In primary school, we used to do it to our own shoes. :S

When I was in primary school we used to do it on purpose to our own shoes to do tap dancing.

Powers: I also thought that no bullying was happening in my school, but I found out that it was just more underground. At my friend's school the entire volleyteam was bullying a girl cause she performed badly. Unfortunatly bullying is found in many schools because kids are mean bastards. The fact that now the kids are filming bullying and putting it onto Youtube so that they can be famous is not helping either.

Ini
February 28th, 2008, 15:22
When I was in primary school we used to do it on purpose to our own shoes to do tap dancing.

When I was in primary school we used to bully the tap dancing kids

nothing123
February 28th, 2008, 15:36

When I was in primary school we used to bully the tap dancing kids

By pushing thumb tacks through their shoes?

Powers
February 28th, 2008, 16:19

Uhh, the thumbtacks were upright, IN the shoes. Not quite so harmless.

Sciby
February 28th, 2008, 17:53
On my first week here, I saw 3 boys bailing up another kid in a corner. He was laughing and smiling, so I thought it was all kosher... but after learning a bit more about how some Japanese people laugh when they're nervous or under stress, I know now that it was out and out bullying. Wish I had done something now. :/

KeroHazel
February 29th, 2008, 03:53
I'm surprised, because the schools are pretty well disciplined, (no orange hair, or short skirts, no keitais allowed, pretty good students)

Maybe the strict dress code has something to do with it. For many bullies, the underlying motivation is control of those around them. If they themselves feel like they're being controlled by overly strict school policies, their need to control others becomes that much greater.

dombay
February 29th, 2008, 07:36
I'm surprised, because the schools are pretty well disciplined, (no orange hair, or short skirts, no keitais allowed, pretty good students)

Maybe the strict dress code has something to do with it. For many bullies, the underlying motivation is control of those around them. If they themselves feel like they're being controlled by overly strict school policies, their need to control others becomes that much greater.

As someone who works in a completely no-dicipline-at-all school I can tell you that the ijime where I work is very very bad.

February 29th, 2008, 09:22
Maybe the strict dress code has something to do with it.

This is not strict dress code. In SA(when I was at school) and S.Korea you have to look exactly the same, from the hair to the shoes.

KeroHazel
February 29th, 2008, 09:36
The OP said that the school is "disciplined", and my calling the dress code "strict" is based off of that.

Never mind the fact that it IS strict. Naming a couple other countries that do it too doesn't make it any less so.

February 29th, 2008, 09:41
I was saying that they are not strict. I work at a "strict" school and their uniform is all over the place. Moreover, we had a mini-debate last year amongst the kids and they all said that they prefer the uniform because then they won't have competition with each other by what clothes they wear. Kids can just as easily be bullied because they don't conform to the right dress style, or have the newest clothes. I think bullying goes way past dress codes. This is like blaming school shootings on video games

KeroHazel
February 29th, 2008, 09:54
Kids can just as easily be bullied because they don't conform to the right dress style, or have the newest clothes.

Hmm, true. I hadn't considered that.

I'm not suggesting that dress codes specifically are to blame, but if the school is generally very disciplined, then I think it's a reasonable theory that troublemakers would turn more to bullying. If a kid tries to get away with shit, and is punished severely for it, they may lash out at their weaker peers because they can't get back at the school itself.

Not that I'm suggesting that the answer is less discipline. I believe that the best way to stop bullying is not to monitor the bullies, but to teach the bullied kids to fight back. But that's my American $0.02, and due to conversion rates the idea may not work in Japan.

February 29th, 2008, 10:12
But that's my American $0.02, and due to conversion rates the idea may not work in Japan.

:^_^:

Ini
February 29th, 2008, 10:14
Seeing as you know nothing about Japanese schools how about you shut the fuck up?

The only thing that is disciplined in schools is how the kids sit down and stand up during the graduation ceremony. The rest of the time they just run wild.

Powers
February 29th, 2008, 10:33
Sometimes Eddie, you know nothing.

LaurenRox
February 29th, 2008, 12:49
Jesus, another report?

Do you pansies use the whole chair seat when you sit down, or are your assholes clenched so tight, you can just balance on a ruler?

amagaeru
February 29th, 2008, 12:51
now now, let's not bully those offended by the bullying thread.

Powers
February 29th, 2008, 12:53
certainly wasn't me. :lol:

February 29th, 2008, 14:14
Wasn't me either... I hope

kiwimusume
February 29th, 2008, 19:28
Maybe someone hit it by mistake? I know I've hit "report" and "NSFW" by mistake before. I generally say something about it, though, rather than just leave the mods to think someone was actually offended by the thread.

...It was a mistake, right? Please tell me that wasn't a genuine report. 8O

KeroHazel
March 1st, 2008, 02:38
I'm offended by all the sensitive people getting offended.

Waldroon
March 1st, 2008, 02:49

You aren't by any chance a Humanities major are you?

Blank
March 1st, 2008, 05:36
Hilarious.

KeroHazel
March 1st, 2008, 08:29

You aren't by any chance a Humanities major are you?

Nope, Engineering. With a minor in Bullshitting.

Rin
March 18th, 2008, 14:20
KeroHazel is almost spot on, but the uniforms are only a part of it. I studied the bullying problem here in Japan at length back when I attended Kansai Gaidai. The trend here in Japan is that bullying cases increase with the amount of strictness (on average, and Dombay's case is more exceptional than not) in all areas of school life.

Bullying was at an all-time high back during the late seventies to mid eighties, when schools here were more akin to bootcamps than schools.

Another factor is the stress of the Exam Hell period, when the JHS/SHS 3rd-years have to cram so much in order to pass the entrance exams to the best high school/college they can get into.

The funny thing about that is that if they placed a much higher emphasis on grades, the cram problem wouldn't be nearly as bad. Basically, because the kids are given virtual carte blanche not to study and get good grades, they have to make up for playing around all at once at the end of JHS/SHS.

Oddly enough, that once again was especially bad during the late seventies to mid eighties at the height of the bubble economy. At that time, the pressure was enormous to get into the right high schools/universities in order to get the best job as a salary man at the right companies.

All that stress (the Exam Hell and the inordiantly strict rules) translated into exceptionally high levels of bullying. It's tapered off significantly in the nineties, but it's on the rise again as schools respond to laxness with which they handled the students for the past decade.

The problem won't go away until Japan fixes a number of underlying problems with the system itself. The incessant need to control every single aspect of the students' lives, including how they wipe their asses when they shit, is one of the first things that has got to go. This shit is so fully ingrained into these kids' heads that they go apeshit when I don't have my plates and bowls arranged exactly the way they believe I'm supposed to have them arranged at lunch.

Another thing that absolutely needs to change is the shame-culture mentality. Praise the individual but chastise the group is a huge disservice to the Japanese in general. It convinces people that they are not responsible for their actions, and the group suffers for the individual's mistakes. The group might then punish the culprit through bullying, but that's exactly what we're trying to avoid, isn't it? Besides, who exactly is the group? Do I punish an entire class of thrity kids because one of them wants to be a shithead? I think that is entirely unreasonable. It's one thing if we're talking about a sports team, where one player is clearly causing the team to lose, but it's quite another thing outside that arena (no pun intended).

As I stated above, Japan needs to place more emphasis on grades, and less on passing some test. Standardized tests, or individually tailored tests given by universities don't tell you how much the student really understands. They do a fantastic job of demonstrating that the student is either capable or incapable of passing a standardized test.

In the USA, the same problem persists. The lower class consistantly does more poorly, on average, than the upper and middle classes. This is not because the lower class is consistantly more stupid. It has more to do with the fact that middle and upperclass families can afford to give their children more in the way of test prep. HOW you take the test is almost as important as what you know. There are lots of people who pass the JLPT 1-kyuu, but can't speak Japanese very well, because they know how to take a test, and they know how to study for it. Lord knows there's enough JLPT and SAT/ACT test prep material out there.

I would seriously suggest they disallow any child who does not maintain a certain overall percentage from participating in their precious club activities. Sorry Tarou Tanaka, you're only getting a thirty per cent average in all your classes . . . I guess you don't get to go participate in the baseball club.

Take away power from the PTA. Seriously, strip it of even its ability to speak. Personally, I would just as soon dissolve the entire PTA altogether. Force parents to deal with their little shits when their children are being little shits, but give the students more freedom, but the responsibility of dealing with it.

Crack down HARD on any teacher that is found to be initiating the bullying. That was the surprising part of my study. Much of the bullying STARTS with the teacher, and that in turn gives the students tacit permission to continue it. Worse yet, is the teachers who encourage the class to bully one of the students.

I think the best option (and not in the least bit extreme) for dealing with teachers and the principals who cover for them, is to lock them in a room alone with a gun loaded with a single bullet, and told that untill they hear the gunshot, the door won't be open. They'll be given all the time they need to think about their worthlessness until they either die of thirst, hunger or blowing their own brains out. If they shoot themselves in the stomach (a much slower and painful death), their families won't even be charged for the bullet!

Of course, there's the Sempai/Kohai problem as well. Sempais are expected to bully their kohais into the proper mould of their organization/company/school/club/whatever, and the kohai have no recourse but to take it out on their own kohai when they become the sempais. Of course, their sempais were bullied too. There's nothing wrong with some initiation and even a little light-hearted hazing for a week or two at the begining, but the Japanese take it way too far, and for far too long.

Of course, I also advocate the locked-in-a-room-until-you-blow-your-own-brains-out method for dealing with the bullies themselves.

As Joseph Stalin once said, "No man, no problem".

Ini
March 18th, 2008, 14:37
You do realise you are no longer at university? Do us a favour and save the essays for the JET competition.

Sciby
March 18th, 2008, 21:28
Besides, no synopsis, no bibliography. Fail.