PDA

View Full Version : Talking to yourself.

Sciby
March 6th, 2008, 09:35
I've noticed that since I got here, I've begun to talk to myself a lot, and I can only assume it's a subconcious thing about wanting to hear more familiar, English voices. I was talking with another JET yesterday and he said he noticed that he started doing it too.

So, I'm curious as to who else is talking to the walls...

March 6th, 2008, 09:44
Unless I go to gym and piano in the evening, no one ever speaks to me. The teachers don't even speak to each other. I speak to myself, the dogs and cats, my plants, my computer... yes I am a very sad individual, Why am I re-contracting? :( :?:

Ini
March 6th, 2008, 09:45
hard like diamond japanese cock?

nothing123
March 6th, 2008, 09:45
I can go days at school without saying a word. Then when I do the sound of my own voice is almost surprising.

Marrissey
March 6th, 2008, 10:26
Yeah - a bit - when I'm at home. I think it's a combination of not talking at normal speed to anyone during the week and the fact that half my teachers talk to themselves at school and it's rubbed off on me. I actually have one teacher, Crazy Sensei, who talks to herself THE WHOLE TIME and REALLY LOUDLY. I think she may actually be schitzophrenic or have torret's syndrome though. Seriously.

lains
March 6th, 2008, 10:31
If I lived alone, maybe I would talk to myself... But cos I have FK or turtles to talk to I dont.

Though, I think some people have a pre disposition to talking to themselves, and certain situations bring it out.

Even when I have lived by myself, I didnt talk to myself - I do have a huge internal monologue running, just never feel the need to vocalise it.

Ini
March 6th, 2008, 10:32
I'd like to but the voices never let me get a word in edgeways.

Sciby
March 6th, 2008, 10:36
I actually have one teacher, Crazy Sensei, who talks to herself THE WHOLE TIME and REALLY LOUDLY. I think she may actually be schitzophrenic or have torret's syndrome though. Seriously.

Yup, I have someone similar... I've ranted about Verbalising-sensei before...

FSEffect
March 6th, 2008, 10:49
I talk to myself in my head sometimes.
I also have a tendancy to make hand signals when I'm board

Ini
March 6th, 2008, 10:51

well arent you special, I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interior_monologue

FSEffect
March 6th, 2008, 11:00

well arent you special, I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interior_monologue

Glad to know I'm not alone.

Blank
March 6th, 2008, 11:03
Do you also work in a hospital with a black surgeon with a shiny head who's married to a hispanic nurse and have an on again off again relationship with a neurotic blonde girl when you're not being shouted at and called girls' names by your angry mentor?

momo
March 6th, 2008, 11:04
I think it's a combination of not talking at normal speed to anyone during the week

I think so too. I am so tired of speaking everything slowly to everyone. Being conscious of the speed and vocabulary I am using actually made me lose the ability to speak English naturally. Feels like a robot more... :?:

FSEffect
March 6th, 2008, 11:14
Do you also work in a hospital with a black surgeon with a shiny head who's married to a hispanic nurse and have an on again off again relationship with a neurotic blonde girl when you're not being shouted at and called girls' names by your angry mentor?

*sips on apple martini*

What makes you say that?

Blank
March 6th, 2008, 11:20
*sips on apple martini*

What makes you say that?

I think it was when I saw a janitor playing a hilarious prank on you, then during a conversation you tilted your head to the side as if you were imaginging something that wasn't very funny but filled twenty precious seconds of airtime.

amagaeru
March 6th, 2008, 11:28
yes, but I've done it my whole life so I don't think it's Japan's fault. also, I don't specifically talk to myself, but to other people who just happen not to be there.

I never really thought about it before but wow, I am fcking psycho.

mteacher80
March 6th, 2008, 11:48
i talk to myself here just like i did when i lived in china, but i dont do it in english, i usualy do it in japanese. i think it is just a form of studying/practicing the language. i will shadow the train announcements and the radio and stuff. just trying to learn correct pausing and speed.

swedeinshiga
March 6th, 2008, 11:52
I decapitate people who talk to themselves........it's a sign that they are possessed by the devil...............

But yeah I do talk to myself...mostly when I'm repairing something and it goes wrong

kiwimusume
March 6th, 2008, 13:03
I do it a fair bit, but I did it a lot in my old job too. In my case it's more when I've got a bunch of stuff to do and I'm sort of trying to organise it in my head, rather than anything relating to language. Though I recently realised that it'd make good speaking practice if I did it in Japanese, so I've been trying to do that.

LaurenRox
March 6th, 2008, 13:14
Seconding people who talked to themselves before they came here.

When I get home from work, I like to pretend I'm in a sitcom, and make a wacky observation aloud about my day. I also like to say a really funny catchphrase before I leave rooms.

cb
March 6th, 2008, 13:17
Just a little. My internal dialog sometimes escapes and becomes external, but only at home, and for no more than 3 words or so. If anyone were watching, it would look even more crazy than constant muttering. I'll be sitting in the shower and suddenly say "In a dictionary!" and then go back to silence for another 30 minutes.

kiwimusume
March 6th, 2008, 13:18
I also like to say a really funny catchphrase before I leave rooms.

If it's "Bye bye-cycle", I will commit acts of extreme violence.

bearsky23
March 6th, 2008, 13:30
This is pretty weird, but if I'm reading a book I notice that even when I'm not reading, the voice in my head changes to whatever that author's style is. Then after a while, I start to annoy myself and make a conscious effort to change it back to my own internal dialogue voice.

So if it's written from a British standpoint, the internal monologue gets 'said' in a British accent. Just like Britney!! :( Except I don't say it out loud. Crazy, huh?

nothing123
March 6th, 2008, 13:31
This is pretty weird, but if I'm reading a book I notice that even when I'm not reading, the voice in my head changes to whatever that author's style is. Then after a while, I start to annoy myself and make a conscious effort to change it back to my own internal dialogue voice.

So if it's written by a British person, the internal monologue gets 'said' in a British accent. Just like Britney!! :( Except I don't say it out loud. Crazy, huh?

That you are. Now go shave your hair off.

bearsky23
March 6th, 2008, 13:33
That's next, but first I gotta get some new plastic surgery.

fragglerocker
March 6th, 2008, 14:10
Rather than talking to myself, I find myself singing to myself, like a running commentary to the tune of something I've been listening to...

and I find myself saying 'seeeeee yooooooou' and 'bai bai' in a sing-song voice far too often :?

frankdux
March 6th, 2008, 14:22
i talk to myself in the shower.

amagaeru
March 6th, 2008, 14:28
i talk to myself in the shower.

do the words "would you fck me? I'd fck me. I'd fck me... hard" ever cross your lips?

Furbottle
March 6th, 2008, 15:05
I talk to myself sometimes. I do a lot more of it when I'm studying Japanese, since it helps me to remember. The thing I've noticed most, though, is that I've started talking to my computer, especially when watching TV on it. So far, John Stewart has not responded.

yohgrl23
March 6th, 2008, 15:09
i talk to myself constantly, way more now that i'm in Japan.. sometimes i just want to hear english. it only feels really weird when i catch myself in my mirror doing it.

Sciby
March 6th, 2008, 15:15
do the words "would you fck me? I'd fck me. I'd fck me... hard" ever cross your lips?

Only after he lotions.

Sciby
March 6th, 2008, 15:18
When I get home from work, I like to pretend I'm in a sitcom, and make a wacky observation aloud about my day. I also like to say a really funny catchphrase before I leave rooms.

That's ironic. I like to act like I"m my own audience... for example, if I say something bitchy, I immediately go "ooooOOOOOOooooo..." or if I say something witty and cutting, I blurt out "Woo, YEAH!" and clap a little.

amagaeru
March 6th, 2008, 15:22
I like to act like I"m my own audience... for example, if I say something bitchy, I immediately go "ooooOOOOOOooooo..." or if I say something witty and cutting, I blurt out "Woo, YEAH!" and clap a little.

do you also chant "Jerry, Jerry!", throw chairs at yourself or attempt to rip out your own weave?

LaurenRox
March 6th, 2008, 15:25
When you finally kiss a woman you've been lusting after all season, do you pull back and say "Awwww!"

Hyakuman
March 6th, 2008, 15:41
i sing to myself a lot, but usually it's one of those "whistle-while-you-work" deals for example when i'm washing the dishes. funny though, because the dumbest thing will usually set me off. that being said, it's been going on since well before japan.

hell, i even talk to myself a lot too... encouraging myself at the gym, thinking out loud when working on something, etc. etc.. maybe i have no friends... :(

Sciby
March 6th, 2008, 15:46
do you also chant "Jerry, Jerry!", throw chairs at yourself or attempt to rip out your own weave?

Only when I declare my love for a midget.

When you finally kiss a woman you've been lusting after all season, do you pull back and say "Awwww!"

Absolutely, and it doesn't even have to be a midget woman.

Hoshi
March 6th, 2008, 18:54
Seconding people who talked to themselves before they came here.

Yeah, why is that not an option in the poll? :/ I talk to myself all the time. For the most part though, it's when I'm angry at something. My walls are super thin too, so I'm sure anyone walking past my house gets a nice chorus of "Fuck! You stupid piece of shit! Work goddammit!"

Probably why no one ever knocks on my door and the neighbors usher their children inside quickly when they see me. :|

I just love you. :smt007

Sciby
March 6th, 2008, 19:46
Yeah, why is that not an option in the poll? :/ I talk to myself all the time. For the most part though, it's when I'm angry at something.

Fair call... although it means the results will be skewed and I can't submit my results to Scientific American. Edit: Can't edit the poll, I have failed.

My walls are super thin too, so I'm sure anyone walking past my house gets a nice chorus of "Fuck! You stupid piece of shit! Work goddammit!"

You sound like you're working on cars or computers...

Hoshi
March 6th, 2008, 23:00
lol Might as well be. Nah, I'm usually cooking, which is fun to do with no counter space, two burners, and (usually) a sink full of dirty dishes to work around. As long as I remember to turn off the AC unit before I use the microwave it tends to work out alright. Otherwise I get to drag my step stool to the entryway in the dark and flip the breaker that shuts the power off. :(

I'm thinking about building myself a butcher block/mini kitchen island though, so it's possible the cursing will only grow in intensity and volume...

Sciby
March 7th, 2008, 02:07
I can understand that. I swore long and loud when I was flipping a fritata last week, and it slipped out from between the pan and the plate.

the cursing will only grow in intensity and volume...

My ex-flatmate used to say that she knew when to bring me a cup of tea or a beer when I was working on the car, based on swearing intensity, volume and distance tools were thrown.

kiwimusume
March 7th, 2008, 16:51
I'm sure anyone walking past my house gets a nice chorus of "Fuck! You stupid piece of shit! Work goddammit!"

Hee, same.

March 8th, 2008, 19:53
yeah, but in Afrikaans, and mostly because I miss hearing the language, and worry that I'll begin to forget it if I don't keep using it.

wicket
March 8th, 2008, 20:59
Not out loud, anyway.
But my teachers talk to me in Japanese and English and I live in an apartment house with two other JETs, another Australian plus my husband, so I have plenty of people to talk to .
Guess I'm lucky.
My Mum started talking to herself after she and Dad got divorced. I think it's pretty normal for people living alone. I used to have some great conversations with my dog back in Australia.

Ini
March 8th, 2008, 21:05
What is it with you and being abandoned by fathers?

wicket
March 8th, 2008, 21:10
I wasn't, dickhead.
My parents divorced. Nothing to do with me. I maintain great relationships with both.
ETA: My natural father's dead. Have you no respect? :lol:

Ini
March 8th, 2008, 21:14
You shouldn't blame the fellow, If my wife was spazzing out and talking to herself and my adopted bastard child was incapable of giving me any grandchildren I probably would of fucked off as well.

Moving2fast
March 10th, 2008, 10:24
I talk to myself a lot more here too. In fact, I was doing it at the copy machine this morning and one of the teachers walked in on me. He looked around oddly since no one else was there. But then I realized that almost all the teachers at my school do this too? Usually when they are sitting at their desks or working on something, they start mumbling to themselves.

Lately I've also started singing very loudly in my house. I guess its my own way of filling all the empty space :|