PDA

View Full Version : Japanese men's opinions on gaijin females?

shindayou
March 11th, 2008, 15:48
Since there is a thread for the opposite, I thought I would try and represent the ladies side of things.

So, how do you feel the general male population feel towards gaijin females?

I've heard once that they equate gaijin females to being a male in Japanese society's standards. I can't quite believe that at all.

It's an open topic. I'm not really sure either way. Any stories of gaijin girl and japanese guy relationships actually working out? Or are they just good for a drunken night on the town? Do Japanese guys make good friends? bla bla bla...

Edit: I should have posted this on anything goes.

tedcase
March 11th, 2008, 15:55
The ones i have spoken to seem to think that they are nice on TV or magazines, but really disapointing in real life.

Strangely accute for a nip.

Ini
March 11th, 2008, 15:55
hmmmmm jap guys opinion of a round eye?

http://www.mikeestepband.com/weblog/godzilla.jpg

shindayou
March 11th, 2008, 16:11

round eye opinion of jap guys?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/g00nie9183/aabonaduce02__oPt.jpg - NOT SAFE FOR WORK

watch out. that pic might induce some vomiting.[/img]

josy
March 11th, 2008, 16:42
This doesn't seem like a good thread to reply to without getting trolled!! ...I'll try anyway...

I have a couple of Japanese bloke mates who really like dating foreign ladies. I guess it's the same with anything- if they have one good experience they're likely to come back for more.

When i used to chat to my friends (I used to live in a mixed dormitory) Loads of the Lads said they wish they could try dating foreign girls, they just didn't have the courage to ask them out. :?

I've had loads of dates and a couple of serious Japanese boyfriends...I loved dating here and nobody seemed to mind me being foreign.

One of my best mates just got married to her Japanese boyfriend (yay!) ...she joined a facebook group full of gaijin ladies with Japanese husbands. There are soooo many pictures of cute babies in that group! These blokes must like gaijin ladies...but i don't think you can generalize about the whole male Japanese population like the OP wants to. It's ESID innit.

keekers
March 11th, 2008, 16:56
All of the Japanese friends I've made here are guys. They seem to find foreign women attractive and exotic. But, Japanese guys tend to be pretty shy, so they usually won't go for us. If you want a J-guy you're probably going to have to make the first move.

I don't know about them equating us to males though. We can sometimes get away with doing some "manly" stuff that Japanese girls wouldn't do, but overall I think they still prefer us to be feminine.

I have a Japanese boyfriend now. I met him about a month and a half ago and it's going pretty well so far. I think they make good companions, as long as you keep in mind the cultural differences (not expressing their feelings openly, putting work first, etc).

And Japanese guys make especially good drinking buddies.

shindayou
March 11th, 2008, 17:05

round eye opinion of jap guys?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/g00nie9183/aabonaduce02__oPt.jpg

watch out. that pic might induce some vomiting.[/img]

Please mark your images NSFW (not safe for work) when it some guy with his dick (or whats left of it) hanging out.

sorry 'bout that.
I'll know now in the future.

shindayou
March 11th, 2008, 17:14
All of the Japanese friends I've made here are guys. They seem to find foreign women attractive and exotic. But, Japanese guys tend to be pretty shy, so they usually won't go for us. If you want a J-guy you're probably going to have to make the first move.

I don't know about them equating us to males though. We can sometimes get away with doing some "manly" stuff that Japanese girls wouldn't do, but overall I think they still prefer us to be feminine.

I have a Japanese boyfriend now. I met him about a month and a half ago and it's going pretty well so far. I think they make good companions, as long as you keep in mind the cultural differences (not expressing their feelings openly, putting work first, etc).

And Japanese guys make especially good drinking buddies.
It's nice to hear that it's not so uncommon as I first thought.
I have a good friend that lives in Fukuoka, but he has some issues that are sometimes difficult to deal with.

I just never hear about gaijin females and japanese males as often as you hear about japanese females and gaijin males.

MostHolyPorcine
March 11th, 2008, 17:24
Is that Danny Bonaduce?

More on topic...I never really talk to J-guys about their opinion on gaijin women, but I will say I've seen at least half as many j-guy/gaijin-girl relationship as j-gal/gaijin-guy, probably more, which is a bigger percentage than I would have thought. You just have to be the one to make the first move...I think most j-guys honestly believe that gaijin girls just aren't attracted to them.

Also, contrary to the stereotype, there are quite a few young j-guys who aren't total sexist dicks who want the little woman to stay barefoot in the kitchen. The younger generations here are definitely heading in the direction of more equality.

keekers
March 11th, 2008, 17:39
I just never hear about gaijin females and japanese males as often as you hear about japanese females and gaijin males.
Well it's probably less common, but I don't think it's because the guys don't like us. I think it has more to do with cultural differences. In the west, we kind of expect the guys to be more forward and ask us out. But Japanese guys are already shy with their own women, so it's even harder for them to ask out a gaijin. What we get in this situation is a gaijin girl complaining that no men are interested in her, and Japanese guys longing to ask that girl out but not having the balls to do it. If you can swallow your pride and make the first move, the rest is a piece of cake. And alcohol helps a lot, too.

Another thing that plays into it I think is that having an interest in English is more of a girly thing here, so there are a lot of Japanese girls who are English leeches, but not so many English leeching Japanese boys. If you can't speak Japanese or he can't speak English, it's going to be hard to have something meaningful.

Igor
March 11th, 2008, 23:49
Yeah, agree w/ keekers (hi lawl). There's a lot of interest, but I can't count how many times I've been asked 'So foreign women think Japanese men are like little boys/women, right?' Usually the decent guys have a huge inferiority complex and won't even speak to you unless you initiate, and the ones you'll get actively hit on by are drunken old dudes or otherwise skeevy types. Also, probably compared to the foreign-guy-J-chick combo, there's a higher proportion of J-guys who just want to fool around than those who want a serious relationship (or even a semi-serious one that involves, say, dinner and then sex as opposed to just the sex.) So it's definitely possible, and one-night-stands are easy as hell to come by if you're into that sort of thing, but don't be too surprised if you end up with a ton of first dates and not too many second ones.

wicket
March 12th, 2008, 00:54
There may be as much g-girl/j-guy as there is g-guy/j-girl, but maybe we don't hear as much about it because women don't feel the need to go on internet forums to talk about their yellow fever and brag about how many j-boys they've banged.

That... or there isn't as much (exhibit A: the teeny peenies).

MostHolyPorcine
March 12th, 2008, 02:28
I definitely hear like a 100 to 1 ratio of talk from gaijin guys about j-girls, but amongst my friends involved with japanese, I'd say it's much closer to 2 to 1, or even 1.5 to 1.

Himawari
March 12th, 2008, 08:58
The boys at my high school are always going on about how kawaii I am and how I`m their type (both to my face and when they`re talking amongst themselves) and a few of them have had crushes on me. Unfortunately, I`ve failed to attract much interest from guys older than 17.

amagaeru
March 12th, 2008, 09:24
I agree with the above, about jguys being interested but so shy they might as well not be, half the time. so many times I've been talking to a jguy and thinking, 'hooked'- he's leaning in close, talking quietly, mirroring my body positions- but at the end of the evening, all I end up getting is a "um... um... I had a good time talking with you... bye!" no mail exchange or nuthin'! that sucks- I hate that.

but, the inferiority complexthing actually works in their favor, imo. arrogance and a sense of entitlement are huge turn-offs to me, and it makes them try extra hard, seems like.

March 12th, 2008, 09:27
The boys at my high school are always going on about how kawaii I am and how I`m their type (both to my face and when they`re talking amongst themselves) and a few of them have had crushes on me. Unfortunately, I`ve failed to attract much interest from guys older than 17.

I have the same thing, but I think its because the boys know that they can never be with you, so they are not that shy. But men who really want to date you are super shy.

I know of a girl who used to date boys the moment they graduated, so if you are into that, why not.

I have a friend who really really wants a foreign girlfriend. I think he is very attractive and funny, but I have a boyfriend at the moment.

swedeinshiga
March 12th, 2008, 09:27
so what's the difference between a Japanese guy and a woman???

you women should have a lot in common with the J guys.....make up tips, clothes hair styles etc....perfect match :D

Sheepy
March 12th, 2008, 09:29
Something that slightly irritates me in these discussions is that the gaijin women are portrayed as lonely, neglected and in need of tender loving care whilst all men are basically accused of having yellow fever.

Obviously there is some truth in that but it's still tedious to continiously read it.

amagaeru
March 12th, 2008, 09:38
I know of a girl who used to date boys the moment they graduated, so if you are into that, why not.

because it's wrong the way eating dog is wrong. and HS boys are so unwashed...

I have a friend who really really wants a foreign girlfriend. I think he is very attractive and funny, but I have a boyfriend at the moment.

I don't. does he enjoy long walks on the rice paddy berm, or boar-wrasslin'?

March 12th, 2008, 09:38

you women should have a lot in common with the J guys.....make up tips, clothes hair styles etc....perfect match :D

Its the same as dating a metrosexual. I like men who take care of themselves. Everyone has different tastes in men.

Hyakuman
March 12th, 2008, 09:48

+1

I think you have to ask yourselves whether you find that scrawny frame, and wimpy/femmy personality a turn on in general?

I think Japanese men are also much more afraid of the language barrier than women, because most of them are brought up to be total mama's-boys and can't think for themselves.

amagaeru
March 12th, 2008, 09:56
no need to get catty, gentlemen.

swedeinshiga
March 12th, 2008, 10:03
but seriously ladies.....you find the more female than male thing interesting? Just wondering, 'cause back home you don't find that back home very much and the guys that are more like women then men usually go home lonely at the end of the night. I find myself to actually having trouble to decide if it is a guy or a gal more ofte n than not.............could be me getting old of course, but is this what women of today are looking for?

annchan
March 12th, 2008, 10:03
I've been dating a Japanese guy for a year and a half now. He's absolutely wonderful. However, he is not a "typical" Japanese male.
-He doesn't pluck his eyebrows, wear fur, or carry a murse,
-nor was he afraid to let me know he was interested.
-He has a great sense of humor, and is generally a happy fun-loving guy.
I think much of this has to do with him living in New Zealand for 3 years after high school.

He is "typical" in the sense of:
- family responsibility (he takes care of his obaachan so well, he spoils her),
-company loyalty (he makes similar salary to me and he works twice as much as me),
-and food (he loves to shovel and suck in his rice and miso soup).

It's going to be very difficult to leave him behind in August.

Other than him, I've never been approached by any Japanese males. I do live in the sticks, so that may have something to do with it. The only young adults leftover here are farmers, the rest got the hell out. I find that the guys are mostly overly shy, or perhaps scared or intimidated by me. I've never had trouble finding BFs back home, but definitely had a tougher time here had I not met my current BF. :D

Hyakuman
March 12th, 2008, 10:09
I think much of this has to do with him living in New Zealand for 3 years after high school.

That's the exact reason right there. Travelling to foreign countries has an unbelievably profound effect on Japanese people. They see that their way of life is not the most ideal in the world, and it changes them bigtime. Every Japanese person that I know who has travelled overseas for some period of time is different from those who haven't. Most still carry on with the typical Japanese lifestyle, etc., but have a completly different mode-of-thinking (it's more open-minded).

amagaeru
March 12th, 2008, 10:17
but seriously ladies.....you find the more female than male thing interesting?

is that what makes you male? not plucking your eyebrows and not carrying a shoulder bag? :?

I'm not going to deny that most jguys are more feminine-looking than most gguys. but that doesn't mean they're are literally 'female'...

swedeinshiga
March 12th, 2008, 10:19
but seriously ladies.....you find the more female than male thing interesting?

is that what makes you male? not plucking your eyebrows and not carrying a shoulder bag? :?

I'm not going to deny that most jguys are more feminine-looking than most gguys. but that doesn't mean they're are literally 'female'...

some of them are cutting it damn close

amagaeru
March 12th, 2008, 10:24

it's fashion more than anything. jguys are fashionable, and the current fashion is feminine. anyway, it's not only a jguy thing- my little brother wears my old shirts and women's jeans and he is so, so straight. and current fashiony guys in Europe are the same- thin, tight-jeans, be-man-pursed.

check this out if you don't believe me: www.hel-looks.com/

mteacher80
March 12th, 2008, 10:31

reminds me of this http://www.fruits-mg.com/xnew/j/index.html

swedeinshiga
March 12th, 2008, 10:35

it's fashion more than anything. jguys are fashionable, and the current fashion is feminine. anyway, it's not only a jguy thing- my little brother wears my old shirts and women's jeans and he is so, so straight. and current fashiony guys in Europe are the same- thin, tight-jeans, be-man-pursed.

this is the reason why now one likes Finland

amagaeru
March 12th, 2008, 10:39

I think that reason could be further broken down and traced to this particular image (http://www.hel-looks.com/?p=image/archives/1/20080223_01/).

March 12th, 2008, 10:39
So far it seems like only the men are complaining about the Japanese man's fashion sense. Is your masculinity feeling threatened :P

swedeinshiga
March 12th, 2008, 10:42

I think that reason could be further broken down and traced to this particular image (http://www.hel-looks.com/?p=image/archives/1/20080223_01/).

:lol:

oh, good god how I am ashamed of being part finnish now

dombay
March 12th, 2008, 11:00
I like bearded canadian woodsmen.

Japan just doesn't deliver :(

Hyakuman
March 12th, 2008, 11:42

They don't nickname me Paul Bunion for nothin! ;)

nothing123
March 12th, 2008, 12:37

Is this a request for Dombay to buttfuck you?

mteacher80
March 12th, 2008, 13:58
figured this was best posted here

www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/travel/japans-girl-geek-boom/2008/03/02/1204402318904.html

most boy love manga feature dreamy, feminine looking male characters...

amagaeru
March 12th, 2008, 14:11
"I'm in the flower arrangement club," whispers one girlish, long-haired waiter at the cafe, looking up from the book of German poetry he is reading.

:smt037

swedeinshiga
March 12th, 2008, 14:13
figured this was best posted here

www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/travel/japans-girl-geek-boom/2008/03/02/1204402318904.html

most boy love manga feature dreamy, feminine looking male characters...

why, oh why :smt005

Hyakuman
March 12th, 2008, 14:13

Is this a request for Dombay to buttfuck you?

Quite possibly... :smt008

dombay
March 12th, 2008, 15:25
yatta!

keekers
March 12th, 2008, 17:18
Yeah, there are some excessively girly j-boys out there, but I don't go for those ones. All of the Japanese guys I've been with have been like regular guys, comparable to guys back home. My current boyfriend has short hair, dresses kind of preppy and Gap-ish, and is completely ripped from working out and playing baseball. I think most Japanese guys just care about their appearance, which is more than I can say about some of the American guys I've been with. :roll:

wicket
March 12th, 2008, 18:21
I like guys to be reasonably well-groomed, but I have to say I draw the line at them plucking their eyebrows to pencil-thin, wearing makeup and wearing clothes that make them look like teenage girls back home. I think, in 20 years, boys who are into "gyaru-o" will be kicking themselves as hard as I do over photos taken of myself in the 80s.
My first boyfriend was Japanese. He had never travelled overseas, but he was open-minded and very funny. I asked him out, though. He was the baseball captain and didn't pluck his eyebrows.
Maybe it's because I couldn't care less about fashion or makeup - my fashion statement is "Be grateful I'm wearing something so you don't have to look at my nakedness" and I hate wasting time, energy and money on makeup unless I'm going out somewhere or it's a special occasion.
I don't understand why Japanese women wear so much foundation. Is their skin really that bad??

MostHolyPorcine
March 12th, 2008, 20:35
I for one totally go for the well groomed, fashionable, slight femme look that most j-guys have going. I just wish the only ones who went that route were the j-gays. I swear, gaydar is just impossible here.

keekers
March 12th, 2008, 20:45
plucking their eyebrows to pencil-thin
That's pretty much my only problem with j-guys. I don't mind if they groom their eyebrows to get rid of stray hairs or whatever, but over-plucking them and shaping them like girl eyebrows kind of creeps me out.

Hyakuman
March 13th, 2008, 08:27
I don't understand why Japanese women wear so much foundation. Is their skin really that bad??

Yes it is. Take a look at any photos of a Japanese idol model/artist when they have no makeup on and you'll see all the blemishes. As well, Japanese girls have a lot of micro-pimples probably from the humidity or something. If you look close to the girls' faces you can see how bumpy their skin is under the foundation! :smt005

March 13th, 2008, 09:32
As well, Japanese girls have a lot of micro-pimples probably from the humidity or something.

That something is probably all the foundation they wear.

Powers
March 13th, 2008, 10:55
As well, Japanese girls have a lot of micro-pimples probably from the humidity or something.

That something is probably all the foundation they wear.

+1 but it seems by the time they are 21 it's a catch-22

KateW
March 13th, 2008, 11:23
Many Japanese women that I know also go through this remarkably long morning routine with various products - and I tend to think that the more shit you use, the more you're just putting your sking through the wringer. If you wear less shit and let your skin breathe, it tends to heal itself a little bit, especially if you eat properly.

Of course most of it just comes down to genetics.

puma
March 13th, 2008, 12:00
So far it seems like only the men are complaining about the Japanese man's fashion sense. Is your masculinity feeling threatened :P

Well I guess I'm the exclusion...I like their fashion sense, particularly that of the typical host boy...the pointy clown shoes are hard to get used to and I haven't come full-circle with liking those, but other than that, the hair, the clothes, the accessories, the attention to detail...I dig it.

I'm straight, by the way. I just know good style when I see it. :)

puma
March 13th, 2008, 12:02
In my experience, the Japanese girls have beautiful skin naturally...and I do pay attention to the details such as how much foundation, etc. :?:

dragonfly
April 4th, 2008, 10:16
the pointy clown shoes are hard to get used to and I haven't come full-circle with liking those

I love watching fashionable boys in the city waddling around in suits while trying not to trip over their shoe tips. :lol:

Hyakuman
April 4th, 2008, 10:34
I assume you're referring to those elf-shoes that seem so popular amongst those tools? :lol:

Powers
April 4th, 2008, 14:02
Many Japanese women that I know also go through this remarkably long morning routine with various products - and I tend to think that the more shit you use, the more you're just putting your sking through the wringer. If you wear less shit and let your skin breathe, it tends to heal itself a little bit, especially if you eat properly.

It seriously takes my girlfriend like 1-3 hours to get ready to go out....everyday. :roll:

swedeinshiga
April 4th, 2008, 16:20

It seriously takes my girlfriend like 1-3 hours to get ready to go out....everyday. :roll:

good lord 8O I get tired of waiting after 30 min

April 4th, 2008, 23:47
Yeah, I've managed to get my wife down to a 20 min routine before leaving the house, and a 10-15 minute routine before bed.

I don't really see any difference between when she's got makeup on and when she's not. I mean - you can tell when she's made up, and I'd just prefer her not to bother as much.

When we've talked about it in the past she's said things like "Other people in society want / expect me to wear make up - so its somthing I do for them." Or words to that effect.

April 7th, 2008, 09:28
I used to get dolled up everyday for university in my first year. I took the stick out of my arse since then :wink:

Hyakuman
April 7th, 2008, 11:13
I used to get dolled up everyday for university in my first year. I took the stick out of my arse since then :wink:

That's why my friend had an interesting time when he took extra classes at a community college over summer a few years back. He said the chicks there still deck themselves out for class, unlike our University's sweat-pants-wearing-slob-women. :(

April 7th, 2008, 11:21
Oh no, I never dress like a slob. And my university banned the wearing of slippers in lecture halls. But I did stop drawing in my eyebrows and walking everywhere in heels

Hyakuman
April 7th, 2008, 11:24
Don't worry, I wasn't referring to you personally but at my own University the situation was rediculous. I think at least a good 25-30% of the girls in my classes stroll into the room looking like they just don't give a damn about personal appearance. This of course was when I was in Science, things were the complete opposite when I went into Business, haha.

Powers
April 7th, 2008, 11:29
It wasn't so much that they didn't give a damn about appearance, it was that bed hair, sweatpants, ripped sweater and uggs were considered decent wear for classes. Maybe hot on girlfriend, not hot on 40 girls at the same time.

I'm a guy who doesn't care a ton about how "made up" people get, but at least put on some proper pants! Sweatpants are ugly...

Hyakuman
April 7th, 2008, 11:32
It wasn't so much that they didn't give a damn about appearance, it was that bed hair, sweatpants, ripped sweater and uggs were considered decent wear for classes. Maybe hot on girlfriend, not hot on 40 girls at the same time.

I'm a guy who doesn't care a ton about how "made up" people get, but at least put on some proper pants! Sweatpants are ugly...

Haha, word! :)

April 7th, 2008, 11:40
Don't worry, I wasn't referring to you personally but at my own University the situation was rediculous. I think at least a good 25-30% of the girls in my classes stroll into the room looking like they just don't give a damn about personal appearance. This of course was when I was in Science, things were the complete opposite when I went into Business, haha.

I was a BA student, I needed to dress nice to ensure I catch a rich accountant husband :P

Powers
April 7th, 2008, 11:44
Clearly, that worked out well for you...

April 7th, 2008, 11:49
:roll: I am not that shallow sweetheart. I am quite happy with my History-major boyfriend

Femaledict
April 7th, 2008, 13:54
i very rarely saw either of those extremes at varsity - idiot girl dressed up to go clubbing at school or sweat pants wearing slob. Almost everyone just wore casual but decent.
what i don't get with those who dress up to the nines just to go to class or shopping - as you see all the time here - is what happens on a big night out or an actual special event. Part of the fun of that is the major dolling up but if you do it for every random thing it isn't special and fun anymore :?:

ManicParroT
April 8th, 2008, 01:10
I noticed a steady downward trend in the 'dressiness' of the clothes that girls wore at my University. First years thought it was civvies day, so they put on their best, 2nd years toned it down, and by the time people reached Honours they were wearing sack cloth and ashes.

Of course, this varied. The people down in Agric / Zoology came to school looking like they'd been wrestling farm animals from day one, while the BComm people dressed up throughout their degrees.

dragonfly
April 8th, 2008, 13:47
I think at least a good 25-30% of the girls in my classes stroll into the room looking like they just don't give a damn about personal appearance. This of course was when I was in Science, things were the complete opposite when I went into Business, haha.

Well, when your next lab might involve dissecting a deer...
Actually the science majors at my school were pretty decent. Nothing flashy (past the 1sty girls in mini-skirts taking breadth requirements) but no one wearing clothes that should have gone to rags a few years before. Casual is still a far cry from sloppy, even in Science. Some of the fisheries and wildlife kids were actually fashionable.

The business girls on the other hand... But then the business students there continue to hold up quite the reputation.