PDA

View Full Version : Keirin racing and track bike riding

samovar
April 19th, 2008, 13:27
When I was asked at my interview if I knew about Japanese sport, I mentioned Keirin Racing.

I've been riding a fixie or a track bike for a few years. I intend to buy a nice track bike when I get to Japan this summer.

Any other fixie rider?
As anybody been to a Keirin race?

samovar
April 21st, 2008, 11:56
Really? Nobody has been to a keirin race :?:

Ini
April 21st, 2008, 11:57
Why is that surprising?

samovar
April 21st, 2008, 12:02
I guess Keirin doesn't symbolize Japan as much as sumo, but it's the symbol of Japanese excellence in bicycle building all over the world, there is a Keirin bike store in Berlin and it's possible to buy super exotic NJS Keirin bike part in Montreal.
OK, it might be an obscure hobby...

Why is that surprising?

samovar
April 21st, 2008, 12:06
Here is a good article about Track bike in Japan
http://www.cogmag.com/01/tokyo-pisto-boom.html

employeeof
April 28th, 2008, 09:10
I had been riding on a 40 pound vintage 3 speed raleigh that I bought for 50$ 6 years ago... it was fantastic-- and when it got going, it reallly got going. then I moved here and was bikeless.. have been rolling on a free bike from the BoE for a bit.

So I am buying a 08 Fuji Track. a nice cheap fixed gear-- throw some mamachari handlebars on it.. and thats what I'll rock.

will make for some nice Hokkaidooooooooooo.

I recommend yahoo auctions.. a quick search for "NJS" will give you lots of results.

if I ever get the extra cashflow-- Ive got ideas, money ideas.

samovar
April 28th, 2008, 10:44
My current bike in Canada is a Fuji track and the frame is great. I changed the no name hubs for Miche and the stem for a Nitto with bullhorns.
If you are a big guy, I suggest you get your wheels hand built, the original machine made wheels were flimsy.
Mamachari handlerbars, sweet!

I got my eyes on this Panasonic fixie.
http://www.panabyc.co.jp/products/pos/fp29.html
I'll look into Yahoo.

I had been riding on a 40 pound vintage 3 speed raleigh that I bought for 50$ 6 years ago... it was fantastic-- and when it got going, it reallly got going. then I moved here and was bikeless.. have been rolling on a free bike from the BoE for a bit.

So I am buying a 08 Fuji Track. a nice cheap fixed gear-- throw some mamachari handlebars on it.. and thats what I'll rock.

I recommend yahoo auctions.. a quick search for "NJS" will give you lots of results.

employeeof
April 28th, 2008, 13:51
My current bike in Canada is a Fuji track and the frame is great. I changed the no name hubs for Miche and the stem for a Nitto with bullhorns.
If you are a big guy, I suggest you get your wheels hand built, the original machine made wheels were flimsy.
Mamachari handlerbars, sweet!

I got my eyes on this Panasonic fixie.
http://www.panabyc.co.jp/products/pos/fp29.html
I'll look into Yahoo.

ye Im tall and lanky-- light-- should be alright- we:ll see- Im 179cm so I was planning to get a 56cm frame-- unless 58 would fit-- Ill get as big as I can-- as long as my feet touch the ground and me huevos arent crushed.

how tall are you/how big is your frame?

It'll be hard to move into a light frame after I had been riding on an all-steel nottingham made vintage utility beast of a bicycle.

samovar
April 29th, 2008, 10:43
I think my frame is a 58 cm, it's better to try both size or to get sized at a bike shop just to be sure.

I'm 1.80 m for 100 kilos (not exactly pro racing weight!)
I find the 25 size tires more comfortable for urban riding and the Fuji steel frame is rock solid. You won't be able to fit fatter tires by the way, it's either 23 or 25.
I should mention that I have a front brake, Montreal is quite hilly. If you have never ridden a fixie, you need to install a brake.

If you are light, you should not have problems with the wheels. The fixies are indeed very light, mine is close to 17 pounds and I have a heavy Brooks saddle on it.