PDA

View Full Version : It's/He's/She's game

kiwimusume
June 13th, 2008, 11:25
My JTE asked me to come up with a game for my 1nenseis by Monday that practices "it's a ---" and/or "He's/She's ---" and I'm drawing a blank. Does anyone have any good ideas?

On a slightly random note, the part at the top of the page that says "Andy finds something strange in Takeshi's room" is making me giggle far more than it should.

Ini
June 13th, 2008, 11:31
mix in a bunch of pics of transexuals with photos of western supermodels and get them to guess if its a he or a she.

oshieroo
June 13th, 2008, 11:50
You could play a game where everyone thinks of a person (actor, athlete, classmate, teacher) and then they have to write 5 things about them. Then they read the clues to a partner or in front of the class and the partner has to guess who their person is. The thing is they students have to know a lot of adjectives which might be difficult for first years. You could flip it so you think of all the clues for people, and do it like a quiz show. Give clues to 10 different people or so, and then the students have to write down who they think each one is. Then check the answers at the end and see who gets the highest score.

For objects you could do a thing like 20 questions in reverse so instead of someone asking 20 questions, the person who knows the object says maybe 5 things. Its a fruit. Its red. Its delicious.
And then the partner has to use those 5 clues to guess what the secret word is. Again, if it is too difficult for them to think of clues on their own then you can do it where you think of the clues and they guess what it is.

Hope those help.

*what textbook do you use?

kiwimusume
June 13th, 2008, 11:57
Ooh, good idea! Depending on how much time the JTE's willing to let me spend on it, I may have to make the clues myself, but either way that sounds like it'd work well. Thanks! :D

We use Sunshite, by the way.

I really wanted to use Ini's idea, but the school wouldn't let me. :(

MostHolyPorcine
June 13th, 2008, 12:53
Here's what I did:

Put the kids in to teams, and then give each of them a slip of paper with the name of a person or a noun that kids would know (they know at least 26, from when they studied the alphabet). I then gave them about 10-15 minutes to draw a picture of their person or object. They then posted the pictures around the classroom. For about 20 minutes, the kids went around the classroom, looked at the pictures and had to write a sentence about each picture: It's a dog, He's JTE-sensei (for people I mostly gave names of teachers in the school, which the kids seemed to find hilarious), etc. Then everyone sits down, the teams come up one by one and ask the rest of the class to guess. They answer with "No, it's/he's/she's not" or "Yes, it is/he is/she is." The team that guessed correctly gets a sticker or some prize.

It worked out pretty well, the kids were into it, and the JTE didn't have to do anything, so she was happy. I like oshieroo's idea...but my kids know literally ONE adjective...

kiwimusume
June 13th, 2008, 13:00
Here's what I did:

Put the kids in to teams, and then give each of them a slip of paper with the name of a person or a noun that kids would know (they know at least 26, from when they studied the alphabet). I then gave them about 10-15 minutes to draw a picture of their person or object. They then posted the pictures around the classroom. For about 20 minutes, the kids went around the classroom, looked at the pictures and had to write a sentence about each picture: It's a dog, He's JTE-sensei (for people I mostly gave names of teachers in the school, which the kids seemed to find hilarious), etc. Then everyone sits down, the teams come up one by one and ask the rest of the class to guess. They answer with "No, it's/he's/she's not" or "Yes, it is/he is/she is." The team that guessed correctly gets a sticker or some prize.

It worked out pretty well, the kids were into it, and the JTE didn't have to do anything, so she was happy. I like oshieroo's idea...but my kids know literally ONE adjective...

Ooh, this sounds even better. But by "guess", do you mean guess which picture they drew, or do they show their picture and everyone guesses who or what it's of?

MostHolyPorcine
June 13th, 2008, 15:06
Each pair comes up one by one, and holds up their picture. The kids then try to guess who/what it is. The walls in our classrooms are pretty ippai, so when I say "post the picture" I basically just mean tape it to their desks...no reason to hide who drew what.

One thing though....you really need to stress that they only have 10 minutes to draw. What I did was draw a simple picture of the JTE I was teaching with before hand, so they realized that it didn't have to be a master piece or anything, just a sketch. If you let 'em, some kids will try to use the whole period for drawing, and, since they have to write about 15 sentences, they need quite a bit of time to walk around and look at all the pictures. Your JTE might suggest that you skip the "post the pictures and write sentences before presenting who/what it really is to the class" step, but I think it's the most important part. Tell them that it is OK if their guess is wrong, it's just important that they write a sentence about each picture. That way everyone practices the grammar, even if they don't participate in the oral guessing part (which always tends to be dominated for 3 or 4 extra-eager kids).

ETA: Make sure that one of the names of people you give them to draw is yourself. It's a great way to see how they really see you...the group that got my name just drew a round face, gigantic round eyes and a nose that took up 2/3 of the face. Of course, every student guessed it was me right away :?

Ini
June 13th, 2008, 15:08
The walls in our classrooms are pretty ippai

You fucking tool

MostHolyPorcine
June 13th, 2008, 15:13
The walls in our classrooms are pretty ippai

You fucking tool

Yea, I kind of hate myself for saying that.

What would I ever do without you, ini, to bring me back down to earth? Will you be my lover? I promise to keep the AIDS to a minimum.

kiwimusume
June 13th, 2008, 17:56
Thanks, MHP! :D

wicket
June 30th, 2008, 21:55
On a slightly random note, the part at the top of the page that says "Andy finds something strange in Takeshi's room" is making me giggle far more than it should.
You have got to be shitting me. My husband's name is Andy and our best Japanese friend (who used to be the bartender at the Jamaican-themed reggae place around the corner) is called Takeshi.
Thank God I don't use that textbook.

kiwimusume
July 1st, 2008, 16:29
You have got to be shitting me. My husband's name is Andy and our best Japanese friend (who used to be the bartender at the Jamaican-themed reggae place around the corner) is called Takeshi.
Thank God I don't use that textbook.

Wuh-oh. He's going to cheat on you with an annoying JH student called Yuki! Watch out for girls who look like the one in my icon. :P