PDA

View Full Version : Beginners Questions about ツ

MacGowan
July 16th, 2008, 09:43
So I'm getting around to learning the alphabets, and one thing I've noticed is that in the written language what I'm guessing to be tsu (ツ) keeps popping up where it doesn't seem to make much sense.

Take my name for an example - the language teacher at orientation has spelt it (David) as デービツド. Now I'm guessing the ー indicates a long vowel (the ayy sound rather than ah), but with the tsu that comes out as Day-bi-tsu-do? Is there any explanation for this, or am I just making a massive newbie mistake?

JackAttack
July 16th, 2008, 09:58
I'm guessing you're confusing ツ (big "tsu") with ッ (small "tsu"). The small "tsu" indicates a double consonant so your name would be デービッド"deibiddo".

When I'm handwritting ツ and ッ, I like to make the little one extra small. Sometimes when typed it gets confusing because the sizes almost look the same.

MacGowan
July 16th, 2008, 10:08
Ahh, that explains a lot. Thanks a lot.

Was I right about the dash being an indicator of a long vowel, incidentally?

JackAttack
July 16th, 2008, 10:18
Yep! The dash is a long vowel. :)

UPGRAYEDD
July 16th, 2008, 12:18
I'm a David too. I'm using デヴィッド myself.

wicket
July 16th, 2008, 18:47
Doesn't make much difference, Upgrayedd. It'll still be pronounced as a "b" by all and sundry!

Wakatta
July 17th, 2008, 05:32
Doesn't make much difference, Upgrayedd. It'll still be pronounced as a "b" by all and sundry!

Not my students! Well. Not all of them, anyway. (Actually, success with B/V seems to be moderately less than success with L/R, which kind of surprises me.) Aw. So proud. Last day of classes today. *tear*

UPGRAYEDD
July 17th, 2008, 06:55
It is a matter of principle.

Hyakuman
July 17th, 2008, 09:29
Word.

You don't want to be encouraging ignorant Japanese people to pronounce a "b" sound when it's the "v" sound.