PDA

View Full Version : Reading help

matt360
August 1st, 2008, 09:33
So I've applied for this year's 2kyu test, and I think I have a pretty good shot, but my reading is absolute shit. I got the book with last year's 2kyu test and I passed everything with around 80%, but my reading was about 50%. Time is obviously an issue with the reading section. I looked at it, freaked out, then skipped it and did the grammar section and came back to the reading later.

Aside from simply reading more, I wanted to ask those of you have have passed 1kyu or 2kyu for some tips or techniques specifically used for the JLPT reading section. I've heard some people can get away with reading the questions first and then skimming the passages for the answers. Certain tricks and giveaways.

I have the blue Unicom reading book for 2kyu, and if I take my time in reading the passages, I can usually do fairly well. So I do think time will be the biggest factor. Also, are there any other books you'd recommend for reading practice?

wicket
August 1st, 2008, 16:48
Don't just read the questions, read the answers too. Then, if it's one of the "fill in the blank" ones, mentally plug each option into the sentence. You'll probably recognise when the wrong ones come up because they just "sound" wrong.
And yes, I'm a skimmer. I always read the questions first. Last year I got 70% for the reading section of 3kyuu and had 20 minutes left to fart around at the end.

Hyakuman
August 4th, 2008, 23:52
Dude, it's just like a comprehension test from back in highschool English classes. Always read the questions/answers first and then go and read the passage. If you just read the passage, then you won't know what to keep an eye out for.