View Full Version : Apparently I'm Teaching ESS Tomorrow Morning??

August 6th, 2008, 14:38
Hey, I just found out about 30 minutes ago that tomorrow is open school day where kids come from the junior high to sign up for clubs, and they told me I'll be teaching ESS tomorrow so potential students can come sit in and decide whether they want to sign up or not

August 6th, 2008, 15:30
I am sure if you search, you will find loads of helpful threads on ESS. I believe Pschohistoric had a nice one. Its your very first meeting, so why not do something on your country?

August 6th, 2008, 15:35
Yeah, self intro.

May as well start, you'll be doing a LOT of them.

August 6th, 2008, 15:45
That's what I was thinking but how can I make a self intro fun and interesting for the kids, and more importantly, interactive like with a game?

August 6th, 2008, 16:01
Puma, please search, there really are loads of threads on games. Also check out bogglesworld. Be creative

August 7th, 2008, 08:39
Damn just found out I only have one kid today

Out the window with my game activity I had come up with

August 7th, 2008, 10:38
Its always like that. One day I have 12 kids, then the next day 1, then sometimes some come in when we have 10mins left and I have to stay even longer to please them. No one ever tells me how many people are coming even if I ask the morning of ESS. Grrr!

August 7th, 2008, 12:46
Yeah I ended up making a self-intro worksheet about myself with blanks that had three choices under them and then had them read them back to me, then played number bingo and then hangman with Japanese foods

August 7th, 2008, 18:10
YouTube works really well in my English club. I think of something interesting (example- log rolling (http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=U3ntQkQa2Cg&feature=related)) and then explain it in English. Then, I show them the video so they can check their comprehension. They love it!

August 12th, 2008, 09:11
I had my first meeting last week...you may not need to do anything.
I was preparing some stuff, but the JTE in charge of the club just told me to show up and talk to the kids. So I did. Basically they interviewed me, I talked a little about myself, and then they gave me a tour of the school and we chatted.
Especially if you only have 1 or 2 students in the club, I doubt anyone expects much from the first meeting.