PDA

View Full Version : Jap helped you?

dombay
August 9th, 2008, 19:50
Hi hi,

So let's inspiring each other.

Tell us some situations where your Japanese skills have got you out of a sticky situation. I was sol in Tokyo yesterday and some swift J work got me out of a three hour round about shitty English conversation and a bed for the night as well as a flight home.

Tell us your crappy situation and how Japanese language helped fix it so we can all feel warm and fuzzy then.

staroverfuji
August 9th, 2008, 23:57
went to nikko today
was flooded out of nikko
by sweet talking and a lot of my 3kyu japanese was able to get free trip back home out of it! lets here it for the cute gaijin girl!

dombay
August 10th, 2008, 09:58
I liked Nikko a lot but that train should be blown up.

kiwimusume
August 10th, 2008, 11:06
Generally, when I've gotten myself out of a sticky situation, I'm more proud of the fact that I didn't back down than the fact that I got myself out of it using Japanese, because that tends to be more of an issue for me. But there was one time when Japanese kind of got me good shit.

At the Kobe conference last year, I decided to go to the Japanese workshop on the last day. I took issue with some of the stuff the presenter was saying and proceeded to rant about it at length in my Japanese blog, before posting an abridged version of BigDaikon (both containing the words "horseshit", "assclown" and "fellate", if I recall.) Which the presenter then READ. :053: But amazingly, instead of being pissed off, he was impressed at the level of Japanese with which I had bitched him out, and emailed me offering to help me out getting into the translation industry. I met up with him in Tokyo during Golden Week this year and he gave me a ton of advice, and offered to talk to some of his contacts for me. :007:

So really this came about because of the incredible magnanimousness of this guy (there is no way I would have been that nice), but if I hadn't ranted in Japanese, then this wouldn't have come about. So in a way, Japanese helped me here, along with a shit ton of luck.