View Full Version : in, on, off, up, out, away ..... ideas?

August 28th, 2008, 13:52
So I'm trying to come up with a lesson plan for teaching the different meanings of these kinds of words:

put in, on, off, up, away
give away, up
break out, off
hold on, up

etc. etc.

Is there even a grammatical term for these?

Since the meanings can be very different I'm having trouble thinking of a decent lesson that wouldn't just be a memorize this vocabulary sheet.

Any ideas would be helpful.

This will be for high level SHS, English club, and adults.

August 29th, 2008, 09:20
Is there even a grammatical term for these?
Aren't they called "phrasal verbs"?

Other than learning the grammar about where the object can go, most of these are better off being learned as a set rather than as a combination of the components. For many the literal meaning is now archaic.

August 29th, 2008, 09:39
Phrasal verbs. Thanks!

The best thing I could come up with is the four corners game. Put sheets of paper in large print with "in, off, up, etc" in four different corners of the room. Write the main word such as "BREAK" really large on the blackboard and then give them the Japanese meaning and they have to walk to whatever corner of the room they think is correct. Depending on the student's level I can ask them to explain their reasoning and or make a worksheet that they can use for their vocab sheet later.

August 30th, 2008, 09:48
That's going to be hard to make interesting for SHS students and Adults o_O Usually that would be taught with a very active movement game, I would have thought. Thats how I did it in Australia, lots of hand puppets and a tent in the class room, but I doubt that would work for shs :x

September 1st, 2008, 20:54
It may sound childish but everyone loves a cute toy or cuddly bear. Bring along a box without a lid too, maybe another bag or box with a lid that the toy/bear can "break out" off. Then you can get the class to work out the meaning with the help of cue cards or writing them up on the board by showing the bear under/on the desk, in/out of the box etc etc.

You could really shake things up by getting volunteers to stand in a box, on a chair or something...that'll make the class more memorable than just listening and writing.

Hope this helps, or at least sparks an idea.

September 2nd, 2008, 12:56
It's really not supposed to be a preposition / location lesson. It's more about how adding 'up or off' dramatically changes the meaning of the sentence even though it's using the same word from the beginning.

put up - I don't like my co-worker John but I put up with him.

put off - I put off my homework.

My kids are super high level (they do organic chemistry powerpoint presentations in English) so they can handle boring. Just wanted to know what people have done for these types of lessons before.

September 4th, 2008, 20:00
Sorry my bad - I must have been tired when I wrote that as I clearly didn't read it properly!