PDA

View Full Version : Jobs with CLAIR/MEXT?

puma
September 1st, 2008, 10:56
What are the general requirements to get a job post-JET with a ministry like CLAIR or MEXT?

I was just thinking about the former ALTs/CIRs from Tokyo orientation who know work with CLAIR in Tokyo and thought maybe that would be a great option post-JET since it probably pays better and is in the big city.

How good does your Japanese have to be? Are there minimum requirements for how long you need to be a JET first?

psychohistoric
September 1st, 2008, 11:00
The only requirement is to know the difference between "know" and "now." Sorry.

Seriously, though, ask them. You can contact the foreigners at CLAIR and ask what the job requirements are. I'm assuming your Japanese would have to be pretty good.

puma
September 1st, 2008, 12:20
The only requirement is to know the difference between "know" and "now." Sorry.

Seriously, though, ask them. You can contact the foreigners at CLAIR and ask what the job requirements are. I'm assuming your Japanese would have to be pretty good.

Do you have any names/contact info of any said foreigners?

UPGRAYEDD
September 1st, 2008, 12:51
I suppose the minimum for an interview would be fluent Japanese.

Gusuke
September 1st, 2008, 14:42
I forgot who I asked, but they said they make the same as us, but since they live in Tokyo the money doesn't go as far. I too also think they need near fluent Japanese. Better get studying then!

mteacher80
September 1st, 2008, 15:44
nah, the money is better for PCs. good japanese is a requirement, but also a good resume, there are many positions at CLAIR and you just have to be good at doing one of them. have thought about it, but wife is compleatly against living in Tokyo, so guess it is back home with me!

dombay
September 1st, 2008, 23:20
This is the point at which I think you'd have to reconsider your life's goals.

Imagine working for CLAIR. I think I'd rather be a garbage man. It'd pay better and you wouldn't have to work for CLAIR.

wicket
September 2nd, 2008, 05:15
Funny you should ask. Dave and Shane (PCs) were keen for me to apply - but you need Level 2 of the JLPT and I'm not there yet. Plus I didn't want to live in Tokyo.
Keep an eye out for the CLAIR news - they will state if they are looking for new PCs to start next year.
Also try the official forum - jetprogramme.org - you can ask a Programme coordinator directly.

newdawn
September 10th, 2008, 16:52
Level 2 I think is the minimum. Generally they prefer level one, but one girl from my prefecture is now a PC and she had level 2, so if you have level 2 and speak Japanese really well, it's an option. I don't know if that's the only requirement, but I guess the easiest thing to do would be to call their hotline and ask a PC. Or you can ask in the JET programme forum. Oh, the 2 ppl I know who became PC's this year were CIR, but I don't know if that means they prefer CIRs, maybe just CIRs tend to better with Japanese that's all.

cvmurrieta
September 29th, 2008, 14:39
I am thinking about this as well when I finish JET. I just replaced a guy who is now a PC

Hyakuman
October 29th, 2008, 14:33
Personally when I'm done JET, I never want to work for a government organization again. I'm going for real jobs in Tokyo where my experience and know-how actually contribute extrinsicly.

I'd also take a pay-cut if it meant that I was reasonably busy all the time, had some responsibility, and had coworkers on the same level as me. This cushy job doesn't bring me happiness!

patjs
October 29th, 2008, 20:34
I'd also take a pay-cut if it meant that I was reasonably busy all the time, had some responsibility, and had coworkers on the same level as me. This cushy job doesn't bring me happiness!

Yeah even though it sounds nuts sometimes I think the same thing... although not quite sure about the coworkers on the same level part (?)

puma
October 30th, 2008, 00:54
id take a SMALL paycut to not be an english teacher and be living in tokyo/kobe/osaka/kyoto