PDA

View Full Version : Selling my ninja laptop

Marvellous Magician
September 7th, 2008, 12:49
I'm selling my laptop, it's quite a high spec. Reason for sale is that I need to switch to a mac so I can develop software for the iphone.

My laptop's spec is:

Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2600 2.16 GHz
2GB ram
High res ultra sharp17" screen (max res 1920x1200) which is good for watching high definition movies
100GB 7200rpm HDD
512MB NVidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX
DVD/CD/dual layer writer
Laptop looks like this:
http://shop.gath3ring.co.uk/images/200710131930768883.jpg

The laptop came with premium warranty which lasts until June 2011 (They will fix it if it or any part of it breaks)
I managed to get the screen replaced because it had a couple of dead pixels (it now has none).
You can transfer the warranty to another country if you are returning to your home country.

It came with a US keyboard layout, and I purchased a Japanese keyboard on yahoo auctions and fitted it, so you can have both and choose which one you want (so if you later sell it the value won't decrease from being a foreign keyboard).

It's a super powerful beast, it can handle anything I throw at it, if you are into games it has a very powerful card, I play counterstrike source and stuff in 1920x1200 resolution with all the graphics options turned up with no problems.

It cost me 350,000 yen when I bought it, and I will sell it for 250,000 yen or nearest offer.

Ini
September 7th, 2008, 13:14
25man? you have to be kidding. Why not just buy this brand new for 21man

http://kakaku.com/spec/00200715974/

Marvellous Magician
September 7th, 2008, 13:41
If you want to buy a toshiba laptop then the price is going to be cheaper.

Why not buy this laptop?

http://www.enterprisecorruption.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/tomy-tutor-play-computer.gif

What it comes down to is, if you want to buy a dell laptop off their site, here is mine which I am offering cheaper.
I'll consider any offer.

Ini
September 7th, 2008, 13:51
so you expect people to pay more for a silly glowing red case? you really are ready to switch to macs

Marvellous Magician
September 7th, 2008, 13:55
Just throwing it out there, I am sure if someone is interested they will be able to name a price and come up with a persuasive argument to convince me it's a reasonable one.

Feel free to price it up exactly, I just want to sell it for a fair price not make a profit on it!

Delekii
September 7th, 2008, 15:11
Is that an xps 1730? From the specs it doesnt seem like it, but the picture you posted sure looks like one...

I bought a new XPS 1730 about 4 months ago, and it comes with:

T8300@2.4ghz
4 gig ram
SLI 8700GT (8800 is much better but costs about $800 more)
2x 160gig hdd

It cost me $2100. That was on sale, I think the standard price then was $2800. It's probably less now.

I dont know what price you would consider reasonable, but I wouldn't want someone to buy that for 2500 in todays market. There are considerably better laptops available NEW for comparable prices. If you want to sell a second hand laptop this long after you bought it when the market moves as fast as it does, you probably want to drop the price almost by half.

tedcase
September 7th, 2008, 15:49
will sell it for 250,000 yen or nearest offer.

50yen and some dust.

Delekii
September 7th, 2008, 15:57
So I am just looking at the Dell website now to see what they offer. The price is still about 280,000 (Im looking at the aus site but its pretty much the same), but the specs are better again than mine.

Standard setup for that price is:
T9300@2.5ghz
Vista
2x 200gig 7200rpm sata2 drives
dual 8700gt (dual 8800's are an extra $750, but considerably better. In comparison with a 7900 it's no contest.)
4gig ddr2

Of course with dell, you could go back tomorrow and they would change the deal to be x% off, or a free upgrade on the processor, or whatever. I lucked out and bought mine on a 30% off deal, but they come around reasonably often (maybe twice a year).

jboze84
September 7th, 2008, 15:57
You're asking way too much man. You can get new laptops w/ double the specs for half that price nowadays.

Marvellous Magician
September 7th, 2008, 16:22
It's an XPS m1710, I think they rebranded it in Japan to that after they altered it whereas the US site it seems to be still called the m1710

Dells site says:

OS Windows Vista(R) Home Premium SP1 32ビット 正規版 (日本語版) 変更
CPU インテル(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo プロセッサー T8300 (3MB L2キャッシュ、2.4GHz 800MHz FSB) 変更
カラー&ウェブカメラ クリムゾン・レッド (200万画素カメラ内蔵) 変更
液晶ディスプレイ 17インチ TFT TrueLife(TM) WUXGA 光沢液晶ディスプレイ (1920x1200) 変更
グラフィック NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8700M GT 256MB DDR3 変更
メモリ 2GB(1GBx2)デュアルチャネルDDR2-SDRAM メモリ
8月12日から、1,000円値下げしました。 変更
ハードディスク 120GB SATA HDD (7200回転) 変更
光学ドライブ DVD+/-RW ドライブ (2層書込み対応) 変更
ワイヤレスLAN インテル(R) Next-Gen Wireless-N (802.11a/b/g/n対応) 変更
BLUETOOTH Dell Wireless(TM) 355内蔵Bluetooth モジュール 変更
キーボード 日本語キーボード 変更
ACアダプタ 230W ACアダプタ 変更
バッテリ 9セルバッテリ

and that comes to 250,000 yen

so its a slightly better processor and a slightly better video card... the warranty is only 1 year though, 3 years seems to be 20,000 yen more, so 270,000 total

How about 190,000...?

tedcase
September 8th, 2008, 00:19
how about 4 Australian dollars with mustaches drawn on the queen and a stale cupcake?

Atalante
September 8th, 2008, 10:52
You should look at around 150000 for a fair price. If you stay away from the big manufactures and go to private companies that build dedicated gaming/high-powered laptops, you can get a computer that far exceeds yours for $2000. For $2500 I could get a computer with 8 gigs of ram and 1gb video card, along with every other spec being far superior. XPSs are overpriced unless you get a good discount on them.

Delekii
September 9th, 2008, 10:57
You should look at around 150000 for a fair price. If you stay away from the big manufactures and go to private companies that build dedicated gaming/high-powered laptops, you can get a computer that far exceeds yours for $2000. For $2500 I could get a computer with 8 gigs of ram and 1gb video card, along with every other spec being far superior. XPSs are overpriced unless you get a good discount on them.
Show me where you can get a laptop with 8gig of ram and a 1gb video card for $2500, all other parts being of equal quality.

Atalante
September 9th, 2008, 14:18
They're not that hard to find...just do a little searching.

With http://www.xoticpc.com you can get a comp with the 1gb video card and 4gb of ram for 2247.49, with excellent specs and plenty of other upgrades if you want to go to 2500. They don't have 8gb RAM, maybe that's not viable in laptops yet, I dunno. Wait a few months and I'm sure they'll arrive. Regardless, the computer destroys what he's offering and it's much cheaper.

Cassidy777
September 9th, 2008, 14:53
Very nice lappy - but agree with earlier posts, I would probably pay 120000-150000 for it.
But be warned - the 1730/1710 weighs a damn ton and has bugger all battery life. So if you need to lug it to school and back every day, expect to get very fit, very fast.

Almost went the xoticpc route myself but then realized that importing would be too pricey to make it worth it. Got a xps1530 instead.

Atalante
September 9th, 2008, 15:23
Yeah, anyone who buys a "gaming laptop" is a fool, it'll become outdated so fast and is a pain to upgrade. It also negates the portability of it with the huge 17 screen and heavy components, not fun to carry around.

Buy a laptop for productivity and maybe put a few older games on it, but go desktop if you're a gamer. Only reason to get a power laptop is if your job demands the high specs and you're constantly on the move.

Delekii
September 9th, 2008, 17:39
Yeah, anyone who buys a "gaming laptop" is a fool, it'll become outdated so fast and is a pain to upgrade. It also negates the portability of it with the huge 17 screen and heavy components, not fun to carry around.

Buy a laptop for productivity and maybe put a few older games on it, but go desktop if you're a gamer. Only reason to get a power laptop is if your job demands the high specs and you're constantly on the move.
Most people would not want to buy more than one computer, and certainly it negates the price advantage if you do. I wanted a gaming computer than I can use in Japan, and also needed a pc to take to school with me, particularly for jikoshoukais but also for other stuff which I work on at home.

I bought an xps 1730 and I dont regret it. It weighs about 7kg which, while heavy, is not so heavy that I cant walk the 10 minutes to my base school comfortably. On the flip side, it plays almost all of todays games at mid-high to highest settings, which is what I wanted to do. Sure, I could have bought a smaller laptop and then got a desktop for gaming when I was here, but I would have ended up paying at least as much, as well as not having the advantage of being able to use my 17 inch screen for self intros and presentations when the school doesnt have a working projecter (2 out of 3 elementaries so far).

I certainly wouldnt have bought it at full price, but I think the point that that proves is that anyone who buys a brandname laptop at full price is a fool. For $2100 the machine I got was an incredible bargain, particularly with the simplicity of warranty coverage offered by a multinational company.

Cassidy777
September 9th, 2008, 17:59
That is a really good price...considering that with primepc dropping their english support the only people supplying decent gaming stuff is PCtokyo.

7kg would be a burden though - 30min by bike to school. meh.

Personally though, I'd rather have a decent lappy to carry around and a big ass desktop for gaming. Hopefully gettting one in december - gtx280 sli ftw!

Marvellous Magician
September 9th, 2008, 20:49
I don't know why people complain about heavy laptops. You put it in a bag, then carry it with you, it's hardly like moving a suitcase around.

I've biked for 40 minutes to an adjacent city with my laptop before with no problems, I doubt anyone will take it further than that and it's hardly an issue on the train etc.

Even a cripple could manage that, perhaps you just have a really poor quality bag?

Anyway I can see I'd be better off keeping it and buying a cheaper macbook.

Next people will be complaining about battery life... I've never ever used the battery in my laptop, because it requires a chair or table and any place that has those has a power socket.

Atalante
September 10th, 2008, 13:34
I dunno man, I hate heavy laptops, I have a 15.4 that was pretty high-end at the time, and that shit gets really annoying if you have to travel with it for a long time. The thing itself isn't that bad to hold, but put it in a bag and use an armstrap and it starts becoming pretty painful after awhile. I would never consider buying a 17inch unit if I had to travel often. Hell, I ended up buying a second Japanese laptop to keep at the school since I didn't want to lug the thing around every day, plus an Asus EEE for when I travel and don't need anything other than a web browser, that thing is really light.

Yeah, lack of battery life isn't an issue to most people, but it can be in certain situations. Lots of people use their computers while traveling, and there isn't always an outlet nearby. But, for the majority of people, they won't be away from an outlet long enough to exhaust the battery.

Oh yea, I checked cyberpowerPC for new models and they have a 15.4 that surpasses your specs for less than $1500. You might as well just keep the computer as a second Windows machine, never know when you'll need it. You'll want it for games anyway. Probably not worth taking such a huge loss on the sale. I kind of want to buy a new English laptop soon tho, mine is getting kind of outdated, maybe once the 1gb video cards become reasonable in 15.4 models I'll seriously look into it.