PDA

View Full Version : Your JLPT Weak Points

dombay
September 8th, 2008, 11:00
Right so what are they? What level are you doing? What are you planning to do about it? My weak point when I took 2q last year was listening for some reason. I think it's a confidence thing a bit too because in practice tests I have no problem. So going to practice to get confidence up. Et toi?

Oneiro
September 8th, 2008, 11:27
I'm taking 2Q despite not being at all ready for it. Just planning on cramming the old-fashioned way and hoping that I can get that shiny certificate. It's mostly just a matter of me upping my kanji and vocab as I think my grammar comprehension is mostly okay.

Ini
September 8th, 2008, 14:11
I'm generally ok apart from the "japanese" bits. I hoping that a solid few months of watching ai kurosawa movies will bump me up to level 4

newdawn
September 8th, 2008, 16:14
I applied for Level 3, so everything is my weakness. I just started Japanese study and I think I could probably pass 4, but 3 will be a stretch. So far the Kanji study is okay. I know most of the Level 4 kanji. Grammar is going reasonably well, I think, but I won't do any practice tests until the end of September, so I can't honestly say how well I am doign in that section. I think I will have to work on listening. I generally understand what people say to me, but I also watch tons of movies and I never understand much.

kiwimusume
September 8th, 2008, 17:22
Right so what are they? What level are you doing? What are you planning to do about it? My weak point when I took 2q last year was listening for some reason. I think it's a confidence thing a bit too because in practice tests I have no problem. So going to practice to get confidence up. Et toi?

I had the exact same problem! I'd get nearly everything right in practice tests, but in the real thing, and a practice test where I was more nervous than usual, my marks went way down. I think it was because in most of the practice tests I was just going "OK, I think it's this but even if it's not it doesn't matter because I can just swot up for next time", and so I went with my instincts more, whereas in the real thing and that other practice test I overthought it.

Other than that, it changed all the time. For awhile grammar and listening were my worst, then later I realised that I'd underestimated the vocab section, so that became my worst, then a few months after that I noticed that I'd gotten better at everything else but plateaued with reading, so that became my problem area. And then in the few weeks leading up to the test, it literally changed every week. Every time I did a practice test I'd bomb a different area, while doing fine at everything else. It figures that in the real thing I had to bomb the area with one of the highest marks per question. :mad:

Gusuke
September 8th, 2008, 18:31
After my last Japanese class I took before I graduated, I should be able to take JLPT 2. However, I'd have to say my weakest point is what's not on the test, thank God; writing kanji. I really need to start studying and pass it, since I want to segue to a non teaching job here ASAP.

I'm going to start studying tomorrow at work since I have no lessons yet I still have to come into work.

dombay
September 8th, 2008, 19:32
I can write kanji very well.

Pity they don't test it ...

But I think it does help to know how kanji are written at least for the lower levels because they try to trick you with teh one stroke different questions. If you can write it you'll know.

But in 2q they don't really do it so you can probably get away with it I think :D

wicket
September 9th, 2008, 04:47
Doing 2kyuu.
Worried about listening as I'm not in the country anymore.
And finding time to study. This having a proper job shit isn't all it's cracked up to be!

dombay
September 9th, 2008, 07:18
Are you doing the test in London or coming out here to do it?

staroverfuji
September 9th, 2008, 10:54
I just did my first practice test for 3 kyuu and i flunked the grammar section!!!
It’s those darn particles; I just cannot seem to pick the right one gah. Any advice??? Or online quizzes that may help?

I passed all the reading, listening and kanji sections with an 80% pass mark for each one though, so its really the particles and some more brushing up on my grammar

dombay
September 9th, 2008, 13:57
The red kanzen master book is pretty alright I reckon. I use the green 2q one and have no complaints apart from the odd awkward question.

staroverfuji
September 9th, 2008, 14:44
Thanks Dombay.
I really should be doing 2 kyuu but ive lost all the basics. Like the difference between は and が, and all my basic grammer. Got to love that colander memory of mine :)

wicket
September 10th, 2008, 02:11
Are you doing the test in London or coming out here to do it?
Doing it in London, unfortunately.
I have no problems with England, but I'm not a big fan of getting in and out of London, plus I'll probably go down the night before and accommodation down there is hella expensive.
That's if I do it at all. Haven't even received my application form yet!

katsudon
September 10th, 2008, 15:22
Anonymous I`d say that you`ll get a lot more out of your everyday interactions if you are studying concurrently. Learning a word and hearing it in context for example reinforces your learning.

If you only hear the word in context, you might be unable to remember it until you hear it many many times. You will pick up things from everyday conversation, but you will pick up more if you study (even just a wee bit) on the side.

newdawn
September 10th, 2008, 16:36
http://www.jlptstudy.com/

That guy bought the requirements and has them listed online for levels 2, 3, and 4. If you click on the grammar, you get an explanation. I just found it so I haven't had a chance to look through it too well, but you can see if all that stuff helps. I have a wonderfully detailed book called The Preparatory Course for JLPT by Damian Wallis. It has one for each level. I got mine from Junkudo. The level 4 one lists lots of stuff about particles and their uses. I also have the Kanji Power Handbook for JLPT. It gives you all the Kanji 'required' for JLPT and the level .The problem with this book is that it isn't organised by level but by Japanese alphabet, which means you'd have to go through and pick out the Kanji for the appropriate level. Either way, both books are currently working fine. We'll see how fine, when I attempt to skip over level 4 and get 3 in December. :o

And as for immersion, I believe that it's great, along with study as was said before. Something I also suggest is watching movies in Japanese. I've been doing it since I got here and so far I have only picked up one word I didn't know (korosu-to kill, hope I never need to use it) but I have been getting better at understanding the things they say the first time around.

kiwimusume
September 10th, 2008, 17:57
Anonymous I`d say that you`ll get a lot more out of your everyday interactions if you are studying concurrently. Learning a word and hearing it in context for example reinforces your learning.

If you only hear the word in context, you might be unable to remember it until you hear it many many times. You will pick up things from everyday conversation, but you will pick up more if you study (even just a wee bit) on the side.

+1. I did a combination of the two last year when I was studying for the JLPT and my Japanese improved hugely.

newdawn
September 12th, 2008, 11:36
Oh my god, I just did a placement test on Kanjistep.com. It's just vocab and grammar. I did level 4 and only got 50%. I am happy with my 82% in the Vocab-nouns section, and 9 of 13 right in partlicles isn't too bad, but the whole thing needs to vastly improve. I think I am going to find a Kanji test to do, since I actually know the Kanji and it's the only thing I feel confident about, before the rest of the thing depress me.

Ini
September 12th, 2008, 12:55
so you are going for level 3 but you can only manage 50% at level 4? good luck with that. Maybe you can get some tips off dombay on how to chicken out of the test

newdawn
September 12th, 2008, 13:09
well I've been at it about a month, so I'm looking at it positively. If I can get to 50% on 4 in a month, and I have almost 3 left. I can make it. I know my real problem is vocabulary. I would just not know 1 word in the sentence and I could look at all the answers and see why it would be each depending on that one word. So I need to stock up on vocab. I gine and look for a knji test now, because I know all the level 4 ones and it'll cheer me up :)

Ini
September 12th, 2008, 13:11
I gine and look for a knji test now

when are you going to start on English?

newdawn
September 12th, 2008, 13:57
Yay for kanji! that cheered me up! 39/40. I guess I need to do some grammar/vocab work this weekend.

staroverfuji
September 12th, 2008, 15:10
newdawn, i totally get where you are. ive studied japanese a fair bit, but i know stupid vocab and my grammer is just bleh. its particles, they confuse the heck out of me.

good luck.

SSJup81
September 14th, 2008, 09:20
I'm thinking about taking lvl 3, but, when taking a lvl 3 practice test, I was terrible because I'm so weak with Kanji. I was so-so with grammar. Seems that lvl 4 is too easy practice wise, but I'm not quite there with lvl 3 practice. I still have a couple of weeks to make up my mind if I decide on which I'll go through with.

dombay
September 14th, 2008, 11:36
The deadline was a few days ago though?

If I'm wrong though I'd say go for 3. You still have time to improve your weak points! And a challenge is really good for improving your Japanese generally.

SSJup81
September 14th, 2008, 13:09
For here in the states, I'm quite certain that the time frame to register was August 1 - September 26.

Either way, I'll see, since I really wanted to try it as a challenge to myself. At least I have until December to prepare and I started trying to study more last month. I just wish I had more JLPT study materials, but haven't come across any in my area. I have flashcards to study my Kanji (lvl 3 mainly, but some have lvl 1 & 2 stuff) and a grammar book for lvl 3 & 4, but no tests.

Edit: Well, I decided to do some searching, and came across the JLPTs for 2007. I was half sleep, but decided to try the lvl 4 one, which was a bit more difficult than the practice one I did, or maybe my brain's shutting off had a lot to do with that. lol I passed it, but with a cruddy score. It was 68%, but I figured if I can score that half-asleep and nowhere near alert, I could probably study really hard and just try the lvl 3 JLPT in December. I'm going to try the lvl 3 2007 JLPT when I'm fully alert and awake and see where I rank on there and also see what my problem areas are officially, aside from Kanji issues.

newdawn
September 14th, 2008, 19:10
Did anyone else get an AJET email dated the 13th and reminding you that the deadline was the 12th to sign up? Lol!:D

SSJup81, good luck. I could pass Level 4 too, but I am also going for 3 as a challenge. Kanji is my strong point. I have to work on grammar and vocab. Haven't tried a listening yet though.

Just started an actual Japanese class today. It's kind of a club really with Japanese people who are interested in helping foreigners. We'll see how that goes. I am the only English speaker there. The other learners are Chinese. I am also thinking of going to a more structured class in Hachinohe. The more the merrier. I have a lot of work to do.

keekers
September 14th, 2008, 21:47
I'm taking 1kyuu. My weak point is everything but listening.

kiwimusume
September 14th, 2008, 22:20
Did anyone else get an AJET email dated the 13th and reminding you that the deadline was the 12th to sign up? Lol!:D

Yes! :lol:

staroverfuji
September 16th, 2008, 13:33
Dombay, that book you recomended to me is amazing. And its the perfect size to study in class when im just standing there filling the air with my oh so western CO2

dombay
September 16th, 2008, 16:37
heh you're welcome. which book? I recommend a lot of books!

staroverfuji
September 20th, 2008, 09:23
The red kanzen master book. Its so red and pretty and fits inside the sunshine english textbooks perfectly. yay for study in class :)

dombay
September 20th, 2008, 13:01
Oh that? Yep it's the best 3q study material going methinks.

staroverfuji
September 22nd, 2008, 10:46
I love it. and it lets me sneak study in class when all i am doing is looking pretty up the back. im also usuing a cocktail of Shin nihongo kiso, mina no nihongo, the red J301 book and the heisig book for kanji.

Textbooks are like my version of crack. And people keep giving them to me :)

dorovar
September 22nd, 2008, 14:13
The red Kanzen Master book is the holy bible of 3-kyuu. I didn't know 90% of 3-kyuu grammar when I arrived last year but attempted 3-kyuu anyway. I only failed by 6 points. That's still impressive to me.

staroverfuji
September 22nd, 2008, 16:20
Tis isnt it.
I am buying the 2 kyuu when I start on that evil next year. Right now im happily plodding my way through 3 kyuu.

I know the grammer when i read it in abook etc, but when it comes to fill in the blanks I suck. I think i fail at taking exams.

dombay
September 22nd, 2008, 18:26
Problem with 2q is that you need different books and it's just a complete arse to study for in general :(

staroverfuji
September 22nd, 2008, 21:58
yeah, it seems that way. I am thinking about waiting till 2010 so i can do the baby level 2 before attempting the big daddy 2 kyuu

Oneiro
September 23rd, 2008, 10:56
For anyone who has an iphone or iPod Touch, please note that there's a wonderful program called Japanese Flip which is basically a set of electronic flashcards. Even after two weeks of study on the 2kyuu level, I was surprised by how much my word power had improved.

Great for quick study on long train rides and fits right in your pocket.

GoddessCarlie
September 23rd, 2008, 20:55
I'm not going for the JLPT this year. I am fairly confident I could pass the 3kyuu right now, but I am going to wait until I am ready for 2kyuu and I think I have a long way to go. While I need to work on everything for 2kyuu, at the moment I think my biggest weakness is vocabulary. I know lots of grammar, a fair bit of kanji, but it is my vocab that's letting me down

newdawn
September 24th, 2008, 17:09
Goddess, really? You want to jump right to 2kyuu? Did you study formally, because everyone pretty much testifies that 2-kyuu is a pain in the nutsack.

GoddessCarlie
September 25th, 2008, 06:19
I've studied (huh! ) for two years at university from scratch, and so while I know a lot of grammar points I don't know much else. I have a workbook for 3/4kyuu stuff so I know I can easily understand all of that with perhaps my vocab lacking a bit. But 2 kyuu at the moment is way over my head. I guess I just like to aim high. But I don't expect to get there for a while yet.

dombay
September 25th, 2008, 07:14
2q is a complete prick. But it's doable.

You need to live in the inaka and talk to Japanese people a lot. That's the winning learn Japanese fast combination I believe. I am going for my second attempt this year and I think with this strategy I'm going to pass. But I'll have to wait and see if I was right.

Oneiro
September 25th, 2008, 09:30
Dombay has it right. 2kyuu can be obtained by just paying attention and studying semi-casually and limiting your interactions with foreigners.

1kyuu is where are you sent to the slaughterhouse.

Gusuke
September 25th, 2008, 15:50
I finally started studying today at work for 2kyuu; I'm going to rock out on the test.

When are we supposed to get our notices that they received our money for the test?

dombay
September 25th, 2008, 22:56
November you'll get a little postcard thing in the mail.

It's a good test of whether you wrote the kanji clear enough on the application - it's basically a photocopy of it. Can the post office read the gaijin's kanji?

Unless of course you live in rural Okayama where there is only one white person anyway and the postman is on first name terms.

Linnen
September 25th, 2008, 23:17
Anyone have any tips on how to get the grammar down? To be honest -- I don't think I can cram 150+ grammar points for 2kyuu in my head.

I'm glad I'm taking this in July rather than December. I think it would be way too much to hope to pass in December.

Oneiro
September 25th, 2008, 23:29
日本語能力試験2級文法 JLPT LEVEL2 GRAMMAR JLPT Grammar list E-Japanese.jp (http://www.e-japanese.jp/grammar2.htm)

There you go. It's written half in Romaji for some godawful reason and I suspect that at least some of the examples are suspect but they're indepth enough.

dombay
September 26th, 2008, 07:46
Kanzen Master - the green one.

It's boring as batshit but it will teach you the grammar.

What I do is make notes of the grammar points in a notebook and write out example sentences in my kokugo exercise book (the one that junior high school kids use from daiso).

Then take the test at the end of each section.

I take each test a number of times and write down an improvement in score because although, yes I am just remembering what the answers are I'm also remembering WHY those are the answers so it sticks.

Linnen
September 26th, 2008, 12:26
Kanzen Master - the green one.

It's boring as batshit but it will teach you the grammar.

Yeah, I got kanzen master. The main problem I have with it is when they group four patterns together with the same meaning - or give you some kind of cryptic description about what sets one apart from the other.

I will say that the reading book for kanzen master is awesome. It kicks your ass - but it does a good job of telling you the tricks of the reading section.

dombay
September 26th, 2008, 13:55
Ya I used the green grammar kanzen master with my grammar dictionary.

Sometimes it made it more confusing still but usually they were handy together.

keekers
September 26th, 2008, 14:07
Dombay has it right. 2kyuu can be obtained by just paying attention and studying semi-casually and limiting your interactions with foreigners.

1kyuu is where are you sent to the slaughterhouse.
I passed 2kyuu on my first try with relative ease and I almost always hang out with foreigners. The Japanese you're tested on for 2kyuu and 1kyuu is a lot different than the kind of Japanese that's used in everyday life. It's much more formal, and you'll hear it in TV news reports and see it in newspapers and such but you probably won't hear it in casual conversation or see it in keitai emails from your buddies. So I don't think it really matters if you spend most of your time around Japanese people. To pass the test you just have to get the books and study.

Coollead
September 28th, 2008, 02:18
November you'll get a little postcard thing in the mail.

It's a good test of whether you wrote the kanji clear enough on the application - it's basically a photocopy of it. Can the post office read the gaijin's kanji?

Unless of course you live in rural Okayama where there is only one white person anyway and the postman is on first name terms.
I wrote mine in Romaji for that reason alone....which it said was acceptable. I read that silly book three times.

Anyway, I already have Level 4, from a few years ago... and due to everyone else I know attempting level 3 this year, I may as well. It's probably not too hard, I should've done level 3 years ago, when, you know, I was actually studying, and 4 years of Japanese experience in high school was definitely enough for level 3...but being in Japan, it's helped my memory quite a bit.

My weak point, is most obviously, Kanji. Blarg. I got me a book that prepares you for all kanji for levels 4 and 3, called "Write Now!" and it's helping. So yay.

Lua
September 28th, 2008, 13:04
FUCKING PARTICLES

(heh what a great way to introduce myself to this forum...oh well...my frustrations must be vented!) My name is Laura btw and yup i'm studying for the JLPT lvl 3 and applying for JET this year!

dombay
September 28th, 2008, 13:49
Welcome on board :)

Try Jim Breen for dictionary confusion about endings. It sets it out very clearly for each verb, I find. http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

There is online article quizzes around the net too. Just shove Japanese particle quiz into google. Also check out if the red kanzen master book for 3q if you can get in Canada. That's how I learned particles.

wicket
September 28th, 2008, 17:33
Box one of my stuff from Japan arrived yesterday. My JLPT study materials. YAY!!!
Going for 2-kyuu. Not confident, but need a goal or I'll stop studying Japanese altogether now I'm not there any more.

Blank
September 29th, 2008, 07:25
Would this kanzen master book for 3q be worth getting if you already have both genki books? 'Cos I do.

staroverfuji
September 29th, 2008, 11:07
YES!!!!!

Its the bible of 3 kyuu.

and Particles suck, i hate them, i loathe them, i want to stomp on their nasty little changing heads.

At the same time, i think im getting Stockholm syndrome for the little buggers

Blank
September 30th, 2008, 11:54
I'm not studying for the JLPT, just studying generally. Is it still useful? And if so, where can I get hold of it in the UK?

GoddessCarlie
September 30th, 2008, 12:05
I think, Blank, the JLPT is useful as a gage to see how good you are at certain skills in Japanese (reading and listening). You can get hold of books with previous tests in them and test yourself, which is what I have done in the past.

staroverfuji
September 30th, 2008, 15:16
E-bay is your new god.

And the JLPT is just for reading and writing and listening, you dont need to speak a word, which is a great thing but at the same time sucks because i have almost no motivation to speak to anyone in this school, im too busy cramming grammer into my head

newdawn
September 30th, 2008, 16:01
E-bay is your new god.

And the JLPT is just for reading and writing and listening, you dont need to speak a word, which is a great thing but at the same time sucks because i have almost no motivation to speak to anyone in this school, im too busy cramming grammer into my head

I'm thrilled to bits, not to have to speak. That is the section that I would without a doubt fail if it existed, but since it doesn't I don't try.

I have finally finished with my 4-kyu prep and have moved on to 3-kyu. I'm up to 90's in Kanji, 80's in adjectives and particles (and that is mostly because I totally suck at verbs). This weekend I'll be doing some practice JLPT's along with the 2004 JLPT, so I'll have a true indicator of where i am at. First listening test, Woo hoo!:kaos_chip_xmas2:

newdawn
September 30th, 2008, 16:02
By the way online anime is an excellent way to practice listening. I am at school all day and I just tune every body out, but when I watch the anime, I really listen! :O

Sheepy
September 30th, 2008, 18:01
The grammar stuff really fucks me off in these tests. I can handle it fine whilst working through Genki and then it's all "oh but when this is like this then it's like this". Nobody ever fucking uses them in conversation anyway. Also, I find kanji pretty easy but I'm sure that changes once you get past the really easy basics.

dombay
September 30th, 2008, 18:27
If you like kanji I don't think it does.

Once you know the basics it's just a case of putting the basics together in different shapes. It's like art or a puzzle or something. I think getting your head around the basics of kanji is the biggest hump really.

Sheepy
September 30th, 2008, 18:59
Cool. I've studied more in the last month than the rest of the year combined.

I'm really bad at speaking though. Terrible, actually.

Lua
October 1st, 2008, 13:18
Welcome on board :)

Try Jim Breen for dictionary confusion about endings. It sets it out very clearly for each verb, I find. http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/%7Ejwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C)

There is online article quizzes around the net too. Just shove Japanese particle quiz into google. Also check out if the red kanzen master book for 3q if you can get in Canada. That's how I learned particles.

Hey thanks! wow there's much more to you guys then your cute avatars! you actually have....adoBAIsu! I mean... advice. hahahaha but seriously you all sound pretty seasoned when it comes to your japanese study and how far you've come..
I checked out that kanzen book on amazon.ca and they have it but it's like....60 bucks! a little pricey, but i really dont' want to spend all this time studying just to end up failing the test. so I'll just take your word for it and fork over the cash.

anything particular on 3rd kyu that kicked you in the ass? passive form? kanji? keigo?

dombay
October 1st, 2008, 15:16
My weak point on any old JLPT is always listening for some reason. I absolutely bombed it in last years 2q. I have never actually sat 3q, but I've done practice tests of it and i know all the material - I'm sitting 2q (again!) this year. 60 bucks is pretty steep! It's about 10 here. There are other texts that might be worth a look around. There is a Unicom version as well for example. But they only teach you grammar. you have to look around for listening practice. For kanji and vocab you can just use online flashcards like kanji box on facebook.

Blank
October 1st, 2008, 17:41
I was going to sign up for the JLPT, then I added up the cost: £60 for the test, only available in London, about 200 miles away, so it's going to be at least that again for transport, plus a room if it starts early. I'd pay it for 2q, because that's a useful qualification, but you can't really do much with 3/4q. It'd be for my own satisfaction.

I reckon I could pass 3q in December if I put the effort in. Up to chapter 15 of genki, but my vocab is beyond my grammar, and my kanji is way beyond it. I hate knowing a word without knowing the kanji for it, it just feels stupid not being able to write it properly, so I'm a bit lop-sided. I set the drill mode for 2q kanji on kanjibox the other day and I wasn't struggling with most of them, although obviously I know the easiest ones.

Also I never thought of Ebay, cheers for that.

Linnen
October 1st, 2008, 21:09
Is it still useful?
If you want any kind of job relating to Japanese (translating, international business, etc), employers will 99.9% of the time want you to have passed 2kyuu, at the least.

katsudon
October 1st, 2008, 21:25
AUGGGGH I just took one of my practice tests...score was 167.......

apparently my JLPT weak points are everything but kanji (kanji I passed...so the kanji/vocab section I passed barely thanks to an 80% kanji score), in particular the grammar...oy. I just need to force myself to do grammar practice. But I have such a hard time remembering all these little weird forms. Back to the grind.

staroverfuji
October 2nd, 2008, 11:29
Keigo and filling in the blanks. when i read a sentence i get what it means, but filling in the blanks..... erk *dies*

But keigo kills me everytime. any good textbooks that deal just in keigo?

dombay
October 2nd, 2008, 13:18
My Keigo sucks arse.

It's only really examined in 3q.

So just do 2q and your keigo problems are history!

Lua
October 3rd, 2008, 12:12
definitely gonna spend extra time on keigo for sure...

so much grammer is covered on the 3q....i'm just curious- on the 2nd kyu (aside from a ridiculous amount of kanji) what other kinds of grammar forms are you expected to know?

dombay
October 3rd, 2008, 16:03
There's 170ish grammar forms you need to know for 2kyuu plus the 4q and 3q ones but they don't get examined specifically - hence my keigo comments above but you need a vague idea of them for the reading obviously enough.

Many of them mean the same thing as each other or are different ways to say a 3q thing. Most of them I don't use in conversation very much.

staroverfuji
October 3rd, 2008, 16:25
like とともに or のではない

And because im looking for a plum job with Jetstar when i go back to Australia in a few years, i need to know and love the keigo. I scare people with my perky alertness during the morning meetings teehee.

In 2 kyu it will be the kanji and the listening that will kill me. gah

dombay
October 3rd, 2008, 17:53
What kind of plum job with Jetstar? I am related to a former employee of theirs who hates them hehe.

newdawn
October 4th, 2008, 15:02
Well I just did my first JLPT test: Level 4 from 2004. I got 82 % in the first section, 72% in the second and 55% in the third. That totals up to 65% overall (UGH!!!) It would be great if I had actually signed up for level 4. Oh well. What's done is done. I know it's the verbs that are killing me but knowing this is not making my knowledge of verb forms improve. I am pretty shocked about doing so well in listening seeing as I have never done any listening tests. I guess the anime is paying off.

I have started to study for level 3, but I suppose I should really try to work out this issue I have with verbs because you pretty much can't avoid them. :'( Why can't the whole exam be Kanji?

One question though, do you have to pass each section individually. Like in my scores I passed the test overall, but I didn't pass grammar. Would that be okay? :|

Back to the drawing board.

staroverfuji
October 5th, 2008, 09:34
Jetstar could be the worse employers ever but the discounted holidays rock! I am looking at a call center job which will be boring but gets my foot in the tourist industry. Which i want to end up doing, using my Japanese and then traveling the world for work!

The causative-passive in Japanese sucks. Have you guys ever used it?

wicket
October 5th, 2008, 18:46
Thanks a LOT, England.
I was meant to get paid last Monday. JLPT applications were due Friday.
I got paid Friday. Thus, no application due to no money (and no I don't have a fricken credit card).
Looks like June for me (when do they start doing 2-kyu in June as well as December?)
I'm going to pretend I'm still doing it and then that weekend do last year's one. Just for shits and giggles.

staroverfuji
October 5th, 2008, 19:27
That sucks wicket, they start the june ones next year

Blank
October 6th, 2008, 23:01
Thanks a LOT, England.

Sorry, we'll try and do better next time. :(

melty
October 7th, 2008, 23:50
Doing it in London, unfortunately.
I have no problems with England, but I'm not a big fan of getting in and out of London, plus I'll probably go down the night before and accommodation down there is hella expensive.
That's if I do it at all. Haven't even received my application form yet!

wicket, I only just saw this... If you like, you can stay with me. I live in North Acton...so it's easy to get there. I'm just going to take the central line and walk from the end of Oxford st. (I'm taking 1Q- Eep!!)

Edit: Ooops I didn't see your other post...ah well...if you need a place to stay in June, give me a shout. (maybe on facebook...Im not itil very often)

Oneiro
October 9th, 2008, 11:24
Finally found a bookstore in Omiya which had everything I needed as far as JLPT study materials go.

The ones I've found particularly useful,

どんな時、どう使う日本語表現文型辞書 (Donna Toki, Dou Tsukau, Nihongo Hyougen Bunkei Jisho or roughly, "The Dictionary of When and How to Use Japanese Expressions and Sentence Structures." - This book is basically the Bible of Japanese Grammar and is geared specifically for JLPT use. It's especially useful because it's organized by Japanese character, has the grammar points each labelled by what Level they're for) and has explanations in English and Japanese (as well Chinese and Korean). The sample sentences are not translated but that's actually better because it forces you to "think" more in Japanese.

Also picked up Kanzen Master's (完全マスター) grammar book. It's a bit more of a pain in the ass because it's written entirely in Japanese, but used in conjuction with the above, it's just as powerful because it's geared towards the expressions which will appear specifically in the level you bought it for.

Got a vocab book from a different company as well, which I honestly don't think will use much because Japanese Flip on my iPod does the trick. Also picked up a Listening Practice book which I haven't had much chance to use but definitely will take a gander and post my thoughts on in due time.

dombay
October 9th, 2008, 13:16
Oneiro, i use the same two books for grammar and I like them :)

The Kanzen master one pisses me off sometimes but on the whole its not bad for bringing you up to scratch for grammar but no further I don't think. but enough to pass certainly!

SSJup81
October 9th, 2008, 23:06
Well I just did my first JLPT test: Level 4 from 2004. I got 82 % in the first section, 72% in the second and 55% in the third. That totals up to 65% overall (UGH!!!) It would be great if I had actually signed up for level 4. Oh well. What's done is done. I know it's the verbs that are killing me but knowing this is not making my knowledge of verb forms improve. I am pretty shocked about doing so well in listening seeing as I have never done any listening tests. I guess the anime is paying off.

I have started to study for level 3, but I suppose I should really try to work out this issue I have with verbs because you pretty much can't avoid them. :'( Why can't the whole exam be Kanji?

One question though, do you have to pass each section individually. Like in my scores I passed the test overall, but I didn't pass grammar. Would that be okay? :|

Back to the drawing board.We should trade places. I suck with Kanji.:p I'm studying for lvl 3 too. Learning a few new grammar rules too that I had yet to come across in my Japanese class.

Trenody
October 11th, 2008, 18:10
I have the Unicom grammar book, as well as their listening comprehension book. Also picked up White Rabbit Press flashcards and a book with the 2004-2006 3-kyuu tests. I took the 2004 test about a week and a half ago and managed to get 223 points, which is a little shy of the 240 needed for passing. Listening has always been my weak spot, and I also have problems deciding which particle to use. I am studying pretty religiously though, so I will take another practice test in a couple weeks to gauge my progess. I think I will be well into passing shape come December.

wicket
October 11th, 2008, 23:17
wicket, I only just saw this... If you like, you can stay with me. I live in North Acton...so it's easy to get there. I'm just going to take the central line and walk from the end of Oxford st. (I'm taking 1Q- Eep!!)

Edit: Ooops I didn't see your other post...ah well...if you need a place to stay in June, give me a shout. (maybe on facebook...Im not itil very often)
Yay Melty!
Thanks heaps. I'm so pissed off I couldn't make the deadline for December - bit worried my momentum for studying will go before June - especially as work here is SO busy (but great!)
Good luck with 1-kyuu - I can't imagine you'll have too much difficulty. Would love to catch up with you sometime, so if you ever feel like a trip to Suffolk there'll always be a spare bed here for you.

Moriarty
October 14th, 2008, 21:08
By the way online anime is an excellent way to practice listening. I am at school all day and I just tune every body out, but when I watch the anime, I really listen! :O

Newdawn (or anyone else), can you point me in the direction of anime that's useful for improving listening skills? I do my best to try and pick up things at school and listen to what's being said, but it's difficult and, like yourself I tend to tune out a lot of the time. All advice appreciated.

SSJup81
October 15th, 2008, 06:27
Detective Conan maybe?

Oneiro
October 15th, 2008, 07:03
Honestly, anime in general is full of useless useless dialogue. You'll probably find out nine different ways of saying I'll kick your ass or very archiac language sprinkled in for flavor. That said, the Studio Ghibli movies are probably not too bad and when I saw Mamoru Oshii's The Sky Crawlers the dialogue was paced slow enough that I still get most of the character development if not the military jargon.

If anything, you're better off watching the more-to-earth dramas for 'real Japanese' or listening to the Japanese101.com podcasts for learning 'test Japanese'

dombay
October 15th, 2008, 07:23
Yea JLPT listening tends to be of the type 'what shall we get Taro for his birthday?' and 'which graph is the man talking about', which while a lot easier than the stuff you might here in anime is also not at all covered in anime.

You could try the unicom listening text for listening but i don't really like it all that much. Doing practice tests helps too. An advantage of these is that they have the script at the back that you can read later along with the cd and work out where you went right and wrong. Nothing like knowing the examiners tricks.

I guess you need to get your brain attuned to the rhythm of Japanese too and remember that the key points of a lot of these listening tests are petty things and that if you miss one little word you'll get the answer wrong.

For that reason TV or anime is good practice but they tend to talk about different themes to the JLPT entirely.

matt360
October 15th, 2008, 15:59
My 2Q reading is pretty bad. I have the practice books, and I can answer most questions correctly, but the time limit is what kills me. I'm a very slow reader in English as well, so I really need to work on that point. Everything else should be fine. I think listening will be my strongest point, but then again, I haven't considered the nerve factor.

Gusuke
October 15th, 2008, 18:01
After studying a bit, I'm not so stressed out about it, the last Japanese class I took before I graduated was supposed to be at the level to pass JLPT 2, so I'm in a good position. I bought a grammar book when I went back to Tokyo, so that'll help out.

I also figured if I fail, I'll just take it again this summer.

newdawn
October 15th, 2008, 19:30
I guess you need to get your brain attuned to the rhythm of Japanese too and remember that the key points of a lot of these listening tests are petty things and that if you miss one little word you'll get the answer wrong.

For that reason TV or anime is good practice but they tend to talk about different themes to the JLPT entirely.

Yeah, this is why I listen to anime. They don't have the stuff specific to the JLPT, but for listening I think it's more about being able to decipher the syllables. Then you can use your grammar knowledge (I am so screwed:'() to figure out what it means. Like I said, I got 72 in my first listening test and the only listening I do is anime.

For online anime you can just search the name of any show along with the words "free online". I watch Bleach at www.bleachepisode.org (http://www.bleachepisode.org) and http://www.bleachstream.com

keekers
October 18th, 2008, 14:44
My 2Q reading is pretty bad. I have the practice books, and I can answer most questions correctly, but the time limit is what kills me. I'm a very slow reader in English as well, so I really need to work on that point. Everything else should be fine. I think listening will be my strongest point, but then again, I haven't considered the nerve factor.
Don't read the whole text. Read the questions first, and skim the text for the answers. Most of the time the text is underlined and numbered so you can find what the questions are referring to easily. Doing this should make your reading a lot faster.

As for listening, if you're living in Japan this should be the easiest part for you. You are surrounded by Japanese. Just stop what you're doing sometimes and listen into conversations.

ENAY
October 20th, 2008, 15:27
I just started my 2Kyuu Study today. Yikes! I have the Kanzen Master book but I can't for the life of me find the "Donna Toki, Dou Tsukau, Nihongo Hyougen Bunkei Jisho", I have looked at this book and love it, but erm. Other than that I haven't managed to find it. Does anyone know of somewhere where you can download past listening exercises? Would really love to be able to listen to some of them. Listening is always my weak area but erm even though I am good with Kanji and fairly good with grammar, there's lots of it on the 2kyuu that I don't seem to know. Ah well, about 6 weeks to go. I guess I can cram about 5 grammar points a day in, maybe :)

staroverfuji
October 23rd, 2008, 15:48
ENAY, all i can say is you are mad and good luck!

dombay
October 24th, 2008, 07:32
The only listening exercise stuff ive seen is the unicom text which is not that good but better than nothing?

Im going to do some listening practice this afternoon with whatever I can find around me - youtube, television, random chatty old ladies at the supermarket, whatever I can find!

Timoshi
October 30th, 2008, 13:20
My Kanji is okay, my reading is okay, and that thing where you have to get right respons is alright.

It's my everything else that's the problem.

Vocabulary is a cunt in particular. I was hoping they'd recycle their questions... but no. 5 years in a row, 5 different sets of questions. My grammar sucks arse, but they seem to recycle their questions there. So if I keep taking the practice tests, eventually I might be able to get through that. Haven't even tried the listening yet.

ENAY
October 30th, 2008, 17:45
My study is well, basically come to a halt in the last week. I just don't think there is enough time to put in all the grammar, so I am justs learning words, and speedanki like crazy instead. Oh and Kakitori kun. I don't care if I fail, for now I like the prospect of being able to take the test twice a year from next year. Dude, you should practice the listening tests as soon as possible, they use what I like to refer as "Listening test nihongo". I have no problems holding a conversation in Japanese, but as soon as I listen to one of these tests, somehow it tricks me into believing something that isn't true and I feel like an idiot. They're just pot luck to be honest. But with a practice drilling the stupid setup, you can somehow get used to how they are being asked.

Moriarty
October 30th, 2008, 19:14
Anyone got any of the listening tests on MP3?

Only one I've got at the moment is 2007.

dombay
October 30th, 2008, 20:45
Which one are you doing, Tim?

Timoshi
October 30th, 2008, 21:50
Anyone got any of the listening tests on MP3?

Only one I've got at the moment is 2007.

There are some great links in this thread: http://www.japanistan.com/showthread.php/jlpt-past-papers-225.html

And Dombay, I'm doing 3-Kyuu.

I just printed off the vocab list this afternoon for and made some flashcards have memorised the first 100. If I wake up tomorrow and still remember them, I might be okay.

Most of the grammar I know and the listening seems clear enough to me, but if I don't know the vocab, most of the questions are a total crapshoot. We'll see what happens...