PDA

View Full Version : Judy Brown... is BROWN!

jonesinjapan
September 11th, 2008, 15:38
If any of you have New Horizon for your lesson books, look at them, I was actually reading it over as I was making a lesson plan, and noticed that Judy is a black chick.

Do you think they should have given her a different last name to make it a little more PC or do you think it helps with the character. I have not seen her in too many of the lessons but I really didn't look too into it.

jboze84
September 11th, 2008, 15:46
Don`t see anything wrong with it. Ain`t like they called her Ms. N★★★★★。

ten_of_spades
September 11th, 2008, 15:53
I actually wish they would do that more. Screw that PC crap. I remember when I first started learning French in primary school, Mrs. Brown had dark skin and Mr. White was white (last names also corresponded to shirt colour) and the lessons were equally as straight-forward.

Now it's all "Parminder and Ishbak went to their local grocery store, but the store doesn't sell halal meat. Write a letter in French to your local MP on the matter":roll:

hikoukigumo
September 11th, 2008, 21:06
There's a copy of the previous edition of New Horizon in my desk at my visiting school, before the semi-pointless overhaul consisting of new illustrations and renaming all the "characters" (useful mostly for ogling the pictures of Jiro, Becky's husband... Kouji has nothing on him, plus he wears that obnoxious preppy sweater-around-the-neck). Judy's name used to be Demi Cook... make of that what you will.

ChuChuRocket!
September 15th, 2008, 10:42
Jennifer White is very white in my text books.

God I hate her and Hiro. Those are the worst pieces of shit text books ever.

Columbus 21. So evil. Someone must have bribed the Mayor to get them to buy those books.

September 15th, 2008, 11:05
The only thing worse than the New Horizon textbooks are the New Horizon DVD's. Mike is the fat kid with a crush on Emi. Shin looks like he has a learning disability. The lowest of the low, however, is 'The Hungry Lion' skit. If you can, try and watch it without bursting out into laughter. Serious gaman is required for that to happen.

Jonathan Higgins
September 15th, 2008, 12:28
The only thing worse than the New Horizon textbooks are the New Horizon DVD's.

Are the New Horizon DVDs something to which you have open access to? In other words could you rip them on the sly? I'd be willing to pay - in cash or kind.

--

gingerbread
September 15th, 2008, 12:36
Now it's all "Parminder and Ishbak went to their local grocery store, but the store doesn't sell halal meat. Write a letter in French to your local MP on the matter":roll:

:lol::lol::lol: oh, lordy.

MostHolyPorcine
September 15th, 2008, 12:46
I'm not bothered so much that's she black (hell, it's a actually a good thing. some of my little turd students have made some very racist comments regarding blacks...).

What bothers me is that she's black only half the time! Seriously, look through the books. In at least half of her illustrations she a bigger whitey than that little twat Mike.