View Full Version : introducing/explaining vocab when your japanese is lousy

October 8th, 2008, 11:57
so! i'm wondering about lessons. what ways to you introduce/define/explain relevant vocabulary? do you use English only? do you mix in Japanese? or, do you not bother? i'm teaching OC only, so the defining/explaining may be less important here than the using, but i still feel like i need to work on this more.

(to give some background, i'm pretty much on my own when i'm teaching. my JTEs are very hands-off and they tend to expect me to handle most of these types of questions with the kids.)

October 8th, 2008, 13:36
Personally, I try to stick only to speaking in English. I have made the mistake where the kids know I understand enough Japanese and will then use it as a crutch.
If they don't understand one way, then try again. Remember examples are good, especially if it is related to the students and their lives. Also talk very slowly.
Sometimes asking individual students if they understand can help a they can explain to their mates

October 9th, 2008, 06:08
Don't use Japanese. They have a JTE to do that for them. You're not being paid to practice your Japanese!
Use pictures, role play, realia (actual items), facial expressions - anything you need to to get the word across. Synonyms work well, too (i.e. explain difficult words by using easy English)
Good luck!

October 16th, 2008, 19:23
thanks for the suggestions! i keep seeing the phrase "teach relevant vocabulary" over and over in different lesson plan books and such so i've been very confused about what that actually entailed. :)

ultimately it sounds like the trick for OC is to not really "introduce" new words, but to mostly try and stick to what they know and are learning in their other classes. it seems like my main mission in OC is to just get them listening, talking, and *using* the words they've already learned .

October 17th, 2008, 10:31
I'd ask if you could get an overview of what topics they are doing in the other classes, and if possible vocab lists. Then you can better tailor your lessons to reinforcing what they're doing in class. It's easier for you if you don't have to spend a lot of time hammering in new vocab, and easier for them because your class then becomes productive study time for the concepts introduced in the other classes.