PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Election Lessons

C-dub_PDX
October 9th, 2008, 11:02
Have any of the American ALTs out there been asked to make a lesson about the upcoming election or the electoral process in the US? I am working on putting a lesson together for my rather low level HS students and was curious what other people may have done, or are planning to do.

I am planning to cover the basic points; two main parties, voting requirements, popular vote and electoral college, primaries, etc. I think the biggest challenge is dumbing it all down so they can actually get something out of it.

katsudon
October 10th, 2008, 11:35
Use pretty charts and graphs. Get one of those maps with red and blue states (2004 election maybe?) Get pictures of the candidates. Maybe say something about Obama and that town Obama in Japan and how he's a celebrity there. Show a campaign ad from each campaign and talk about them. (preferably one with less talking, more pictures)

I think that the key is illustrate it as much as possibly. The kids will get more out of it if they have something concrete to look at. Also give them handouts with the information written down, maybe a fill-in the blank for listening practice or some comprehension questions too to keep them involved.

You can also have your JTE help explain some of the more difficult concepts for them (but probably ask him to explain only if you have tried and failed to get the meaning across.)

As for the topics, I don't think I'd go into the primaries myself, since they are in the past and it already sounds like you're doing a lot...is this just one class or going to be spread across multiple classes?

This is probably all bs but I hope it gave you some ideas.

dombay
October 10th, 2008, 15:54
how old are these kids?

I don't think my students give a shit about Japanese politics let alone American politics.

My adult class sometimes asks me a questions about American politics and I tell them about pregnant chads and George Bush and they seem satisified enough with that but school kids? School kids are interested in purikura and baseball players more than they are crusty old politicians surely?

Urthona
October 15th, 2008, 15:46
how old are these kids?

I don't think my students give a shit about Japanese politics let alone American politics.

My adult class sometimes asks me a questions about American politics and I tell them about pregnant chads and George Bush and they seem satisified enough with that but school kids? School kids are interested in purikura and baseball players more than they are crusty old politicians surely?

I told my kids (1-nen SHS) next week that I might do a lesson on the US election and several kids started to scream Obama and got really excited.

I just can't figure out how to explain the electoral college in any way that would make any sense. Daily Show/SNL are obviously out also. :102:

C-dub_PDX
October 16th, 2008, 13:25
how old are these kids?

It was for HS 3rd years. I wouldn't have done it if the JTE had not requested it. I think she was much more interested than the students though.

I ended up doing a brief summary of the process and introduced some relevant vocabulary. I showed a concise little timeline about the main election year events. Finished with some general questions for the kids about who the candidates are this year, how often presidents are elected, etc., and then a few Presidential trivia questions/riddles. I couldn't believe how much my students knew about former presidents. They were able to name many of them after just a few hints about when they served, or things that happened to them. I was honestly quite surprised by their interest level and the way the lesson was received.

jboze84
October 16th, 2008, 15:06
Daily Show/SNL are obviously out also. :102:

Colbert Report FTW!

AliDimayev
October 16th, 2008, 16:55
Most of the teachers here, when the topic comes up, support McCain. And one mentioned how Obama is only half-black in kind of a "so what is the big deal" kind of tone.

katsudon
October 17th, 2008, 08:43
Wow...I am surprised. You have some pretty good kids then. I'm glad your lesson went well for ya.

I thought all the Japanese people loved Obama because of his name?? Or I guess they're not all so shallow really?