PDA

View Full Version : JLPT Practice Test Time!

dombay
October 14th, 2008, 19:39
I know a lot of people do practice tests in October to guide the final 6 odd weeks of JLPT study. I was comparing results today with a friend and I know others are probably doing the same thing.

So how are your practice tests going?

I did a 2q practice today, 2q 2006 and got 51 percent which is a bit bad but at the same time quite encouraging because I know that I have to improve my performance by only 9 percent to pass this year and i have 6 weeks to do and I know where my weak points are.

Et toi?

Narnia
October 15th, 2008, 09:30
I shall do some practice tests today and get back to you. I am getting a tad worried

dombay
October 15th, 2008, 09:39
are you doing 2q this year narni?

katsudon
October 15th, 2008, 09:58
41%.....JLPT 2

The only part I passed was kanji. by almost 80% ^_^ (take THAT Heisig haterz) I am going hardcore grammar/reading/listening from here on out but I also need to improve my vocab.

If nothing else it will be good for preparing for the July exam.

Narnia
October 15th, 2008, 10:04
are you doing 2q this year narni?

No, my vocab is just not strong enough. I will plan to give it a try come July next year though.

Blank
October 15th, 2008, 10:23
Where can I get hold of some full practice tests online? 3/4 level.

Narnia
October 15th, 2008, 10:30
Where can I get hold of some full practice tests online? 3/4 level.

Sorry for linking to another forum http://www.japanistan.com/showthread.php?t=225

Not sure about where to find the answers though

Blank
October 15th, 2008, 21:32
Ah, thanks. The answers don't matter that much...I'm not taking the actual test, so it's just getting a general feel for it.

keekers
October 18th, 2008, 14:33
70% - 1kyuu

girigiri

wicket
October 19th, 2008, 00:30
Did one this morning for 2-kyuu. 74%.
Now I'm REALLY pissed off I couldn't get my paperwork in on time for this December. Hopefully I won't forget it all by June.
Thank God for kakitori-kun.
Unfortunately my listening score was down - but I guess that's to be expected.

newdawn
October 22nd, 2008, 17:32
Did another practice for Level 4. Up to 72 percent! Yay! Listenin went down but the grammar went up from about 50% to 70%. Can't wait to get to the stage where I can do level 3 tests!

mattyjaddy
November 4th, 2008, 11:34
Back in August when I started working with a tutor I did a practice 3kyuu with no listening and got 76%. So I decided to go for 2kyuu. He provided me with a 2kyuu test at the same time, but I haven't actual sat to take it yet. I was really intimidated back then by all the compounds and kanji and grammar. But I'm thinking of trying it given that the test is just a month away. It'd be good to see where I am. I've been working hard and recently finished Heisig's first kanji book. I've been reading anything and everything I can. But I've only been at it about a year and a half all together. So who knows.

And even though my tutor speaks to me about 50-75% in Japanese, I haven't been focusing on the types of listening that might be on the test. I don't even know what they would be like. So I should probably start looking into that.

staroverfuji
November 4th, 2008, 14:49
good luck, im freaking about 3 kyu but thats because i just cannot work out my % ahhhhh. hate my math-lexica

Lua
November 16th, 2008, 12:58
I tried a few 3rd kyu tests from previous years and i got 75% on all 3 of them! that's so weird- the people who made the test must have a really accurate way of measuring someone's level. That was just the written part though.....i took some listening practice tests with my tutor and i did really badly. ugh. i don't really know how i can improve my listening skills in 3 weeks. Maybe i should just watch alot of Japanese stuff and listen to whatever japanese i can find? i don't really know...

however i did find this cool site that has all these listening practice questions on it for various levels!

http://japanese.human.metro-u.ac.jp/mic-j/home-e.html

for some reason it keeps crashing firefox after using it for awhile, but it's still good

staroverfuji
November 17th, 2008, 14:18
Thanks Lua, im getting the feeling im going to fail this exam big time

mattyjaddy
November 19th, 2008, 14:55
I just took a practice 2kyuu test and got the results.

51%

Mou sukoshi, ne.

I kicked kanji butt. Thanks Mr. Heisig (and all the reading I've been doing). My vocabulary sucked. Time killed me on reading and grammar. But of the 13 reading questions I attempted, I only missed 2. Promising, I think. I skipped the last 8 reading questions to give myself time to do the grammar questions. I ended up having to guess on those when time ran out. From my poor showing on grammar, looks like I should have devoted my time to actually answering the reading questions and guessing on the grammar q's and not vice versa. (Note to self: guessing randomly doesn't work. Choose all the same number so you are more likely to get at least some right. Duh.)

Anyway, now I know where I stand and what I need to study.

I was really worried and kept putting off the practice test. But now I feel like passing is within reach. 60% isn't so far away. Though, of course, I would like a higher score. But still not bad for a year and a half of working mostly on my own. Thanks AJATT and Khatz for the motivation (even if you don't approve of the JLPT).

dombay
November 19th, 2008, 20:59
I got 58 on the 06 2q which is excruciatingly close to 60.

Then I did that blue unicom book of 2 practice tests and it kicked my arse.

Still I think I learned so much from that experience that hopefully it will make up the remaining couple of percent.

wicket
November 20th, 2008, 04:02
Blah. Did another test last night for 2kyuu and got 74% - exactly the same as last month. Lower on listening and higher on kanji. Just hope I can keep it up until next June.

Lua
November 20th, 2008, 04:12
Thanks Lua, im getting the feeling im going to fail this exam big time

Aw i didn't want to discourage you at all! I know though.... the listening part IS known to be the hardest, so i'm thinking maybe if i just concentrate really hard on the grammar and vocab stuff then it'll make up for the lack of points i'm gonna score in listening. there's not a whole lot i can do about it now. It also sucks that i'm living in canada now and almost never hear any japanese in my daily life....

dombay
November 20th, 2008, 07:38
Blah. Did another test last night for 2kyuu and got 74% - exactly the same as last month. Lower on listening and higher on kanji. Just hope I can keep it up until next June.

Nice Wicket!

Don't let the listening slip away from you over there though hey? Maybe a good dose of NHK on Youtube? I'm sure you miss NHK. I run home every day after work to turn it on.

dombay
November 20th, 2008, 07:39
Lua I think listening is the easiest section - but that's because I live in Japan. Reading is the hardest. That thing fucks you into another dimension.

wicket
November 21st, 2008, 03:32
Nice Wicket!

Don't let the listening slip away from you over there though hey? Maybe a good dose of NHK on Youtube? I'm sure you miss NHK. I run home every day after work to turn it on.

Yeah, I watch a lot of Japanese youtube and my dramas and music, but it's not the same as listening to real conversations and just hearing Japanese being spoken all the time.

So jealous of you lot. I wouldn't mind if I were hearing English being spoken all the time, but half the time I can't understand what people here are saying.

keekers
November 21st, 2008, 13:09
77% on 1kyuu, but I won't feel confident about passing until I can consistently get above 80% on practice tests.

mattyjaddy
December 4th, 2008, 17:32
hmm.. 59%, 56%, 60% on past level 2 tests.... without doing listening, which could be really bad... i got a listening practice book last night and will be trying to work through that tomorrow and Saturday to get my ears ready... no, living in Japan for a year and 4 months hasn't gotten me ready for the type of listening on the test. Really, how often do you speak with someone who says the wrong things for 5 or 6 sentences only to finally say the right thing in the last or second to last sentence.

but.. i feel like maybe I might have a small, tiny, hint of a sliver of a glimmer of a hope of passing now.

either way... i've got a bottle of wine with my name on it for after the test.

dombay
December 5th, 2008, 17:37
Yea JLPT listening ... the bastards!

How often do you get 'what should we buy kacho for his birthday' at the pub and having to work out what your speaking partner is getting at by a process of elimination.

Or one really really obscure word that you've never heard before in your life changing the whole meaning of a conversation. That's how I learned 'nephew and niece' in Japanese. Because I never ever have to say it and it doesn't come up in conversation that much.

Yeti99
December 5th, 2008, 19:11
Yea JLPT listening ... the bastards!

How often do you get 'what should we buy kacho for his birthday' at the pub and having to work out what your speaking partner is getting at by a process of elimination.

Or one really really obscure word that you've never heard before in your life changing the whole meaning of a conversation. That's how I learned 'nephew and niece' in Japanese. Because I never ever have to say it and it doesn't come up in conversation that much.

I hear you my friend.
I've been grinding out the practice tests for a while now.
I have the lady saying "男の人と女の人が話っています..." burned into my soul forever.

dombay
December 7th, 2008, 06:15
"男の人と女の人が話っています..." burned into my soul forever.

Hahaha absolutely!