PDA

View Full Version : Only one activity for the rest of the year.

violetessence
October 17th, 2008, 09:23
I teach high school. One of my classes is a small elective OC class. There are 7 students. I teach it by myself. The ability of the students ranges from fantastic to doesn't understand a word I'm saying.

I had to think up an activity before I'd even really met the class. So I suggested a simplistic debate. I didn't realize my JTE intended for me to do the same activity every class for the rest of the year. For instance, last semester they talked about photographs they had taken every class.

I've just recently had the first class, and I broke the debate idea down into very simple worksheets. However, the ability of the students is so mixed, they are shy, and the motivation is low, which makes me unsure that this debate plan will fly. Any suggestions on how to make this work? Or other ideas on what to do with the class if I scrap this plan?

katsudon
October 17th, 2008, 10:28
I'm not sure, a debate in theory sounds like an easily sustainable activity over a number of months, but if the participation is not there it's going to fail.

Whatever your JTE intends, if it's not working out just tell him/her that and start thinking of new activities. There's no reason you should have to stretch a failure of an activity out for months.

One activity I do with my adult conversation class is have them write diaries, then we discuss and share the diaries in class. Usually they write about their hobbies or something that they've done recently.

violetessence
October 18th, 2008, 14:52
One activity I do with my adult conversation class is have them write diaries, then we discuss and share the diaries in class. Usually they write about their hobbies or something that they've done recently.

That would be an excellent idea, except that they write English diaries for their other class already. I might be able to get them to talk about their hobbies anyway, though.

Maybe I should split class time into two sections - something fun to work on their shyness before a more serious second half... hmm...

JackAttack
October 19th, 2008, 20:17
Debates isn't a bad idea... You don't have to work on the same debate for the whole year! You can debate different topics, watch debate videos, maybe discuss the US election (since that involves debates)...

violetessence
October 20th, 2008, 10:46
Debates isn't a bad idea... You don't have to work on the same debate for the whole year! You can debate different topics, watch debate videos, maybe discuss the US election (since that involves debates)...

Videos are a good idea, thanks! I will try to find some.