PDA

View Full Version : Lessons for YOUNG KIDS

kalliea
October 19th, 2008, 11:53
One day a week I got to a kindergarten to teach tiny little children. After less than a month….I’ve completely run out of ideas. We’ve done colors, numbers, shapes, and introductions. They also REALLY need lessons that move their bodies/let them run around. These kids are only 3-5 years old! What the heck am I suppose to do with them?

Please help!

onyxori
October 19th, 2008, 15:44
Right light/green light has color review and words like stop, go, slow, fast etc.

Kiddie twister - identify parts of the body, color review, numbers... you could use pictures of animals instead of colors.

Treasure hunts where the kids have to decipher clues to find treasure around the room.
The telephone game is pretty fun- kids sit in a big circle and whisper a word or a short sentence in English to each other- trying to keep the right pronunciation till the last person says the word aloud and its horribly wrong and everyone laughs.

If they can go outside - why not do a nature walk? Have all the kids run out and find one thing- identify it in English, have them repeat and maybe make a song with the items listed. Maybe they could draw a picture of it when you get back in class.

Depending on your schools resources and what's in your home ec room you could have them make and color their own play dough.

If they can't do play dough maybe they can do a mosaic. Start with a simple image made of simple shapes- like a flower or a tree or something- section it off just like paint by number. Each kid gets a # and has to make that shape. The kids that finish first help the kids that have a harder time or help pick up the scraps around the room. When everybody is done they all have to put their shapes together to make a big poster of that image that gets hung in the classroom.

Alphabet tag- the kids that is 'it' starts by shouting A, tags the kid who then says B, tags the next who shouts C...if any kids can't remember what letter comes next then everyone shouts the letter. Its a pretty loud game but it wears the kids out.

**good luck!**:^_^:

katsudon
October 20th, 2008, 09:11
Other topics that will prepare them for their fascinating elementary english education: fruits, vegetables, and sports! Ok sports might be a little young for them...but the others stand.

I did a game with 1/2 graders where they had to obey my 'movements' commands. First you teach them movements, IE stand up, sit down, wave, run, hide, etc. then you show them a standardised response movement (ie crouch on the floor with hands over face for hide) and then play the game. The kids who mess up/are too slow are 'out' until you get one kid, reward with a sticker. Also, I had a few times where only one kid responded, so that kid 'won' and got a sticker. haha..

You could do simon says but for 1/2 grades it's almost beyond them sadly, lol. So for kindergarten it'd only be more difficult I think.

goloons
October 20th, 2008, 09:21
My kindergarteners pick up on Simon Says with no problems. Even my three-year-olds are getting into it.

"Heads, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" is a good thing to teach, too.

You can teach them "I want" by playing Karuta. You say "I want an apple," and they'll start to pick it up. Then you switch and make the kids the callers so they have to say "I want ___."