PDA

View Full Version : JLPT

Pages : [1] 2

goloons
November 18th, 2008, 09:16
2kyuu is going to eat my liver for breakfast in a few weeks. At this point, I'm really just hoping to get the 25% I should statistically get by picking random answers. Anyone else in the same boat?

teth
November 18th, 2008, 09:28
1kyu for me. Failed last year but was 2% from passing or something. Hopefully I'm at least above that this year lol (though I've barely studied...)

AndrewR
November 18th, 2008, 09:30
I reckon all the people posting on the JLPT thread in the japanese forum will be in the same boat......

I Am Quailman
November 18th, 2008, 09:34
2kyuu is going to eat my liver for breakfast in a few weeks. At this point, I'm really just hoping to get the 25% I should statistically get by picking random answers. Anyone else in the same boat?

Here Here.... lol 2kyuu for the first time... I think I'm okay with kanji/vocab... grammar and listening will have its way with me and then throw me away.

goloons
November 18th, 2008, 09:41
Yeah, my partner at my Japanese class has already been here for a year and a half and spends all his time studying, and he knows he's going to fail.

Me... Well... I'm posting on here when I could be studying kanji and keigo.

I Am Quailman
November 18th, 2008, 09:45
Well if gets to the point where I study study study the grammar... and then i just forget it because i never use most of these 2kyuu grammar points or ever hear them used in conversation.

I should continue making my flashcards for my vocab, but i forgot the stupid little index guys at home :/

Atalante
November 18th, 2008, 09:46
2kyu, bitches! Failed that shit by 3% last year, but I'll destroy it this year. Might try for 1kyu in the summer if I have the time to devote to it.

ChuChuRocket!
November 18th, 2008, 09:50
Yeah, my partner at my Japanese class has already been here for a year and a half and spends all his time studying, and he knows he's going to fail.

Me... Well... I'm posting on here when I could be studying kanji and keigo.

You really shouldn't worry. Your partner is English after all. They're not known for being the most bright and happy people.

And he doesn't spend ALL his time studying. I happen to know for a fact that he spends many afternoon teasing his hair in the office. Hours. Its quite the sight.

matt360
November 18th, 2008, 09:55
Do you all have your vouchers yet? I hear they're starting to come in, but nothing for me yet. Cutting it a little close I think.

goloons
November 18th, 2008, 09:56
I'm still voucherless.

I think the test can sense my fear and is now just toying with me by not sending it.

I Am Quailman
November 18th, 2008, 10:02
Do you all have your vouchers yet? I hear they're starting to come in, but nothing for me yet. Cutting it a little close I think.

Just got mine yesterday... Friggin TOUDAI AGAIN!!!!!!!!! fuck.. i hate going there. It's such a cluster-fuck getting there (in and out the station/train)

matt360
November 18th, 2008, 10:11
This will be my first time taking the test, but do they always wait so long to send the vouchers? If you don't get your anticipated test center you're kind of screwed.

I Am Quailman
November 18th, 2008, 10:12
This will be my first time taking the test, but do they always wait so long to send the vouchers? If you don't get your anticipated test center you're kind of screwed.

Where did you request?

I requested Tokyo last year and this... and i got Toudai... but some of my friends got Waseda last year

kalliea
November 18th, 2008, 10:22
Side note:

I just heard that they are adding a level to the JTPT in 2010. Because the jump from 3 to 2 was so big, the want to add a step between.

matt360
November 18th, 2008, 10:25
I requested Hiroshima University. I have no idea where the next closest location would be. Maybe Okayama or Shimonoseki? I sent my application in the first weekend it was available so as long as it's a first-received first-placed system I should be fine with Hirodai. I'll find out soon enough.

Atalante
November 18th, 2008, 10:35
Mine is finally in Kanazawa, about damn time. It was depressing having to head over to Toyama the past few years.

I Am Quailman
November 18th, 2008, 10:35
Side note:

I just heard that they are adding a level to the JTPT in 2010. Because the jump from 3 to 2 was so big, the want to add a step between.

Adding a new level 3 inbetween the current level 3 and level 2. Now level 3 becomes level 4 and now level 4 becomes level 5... and this starts Dec. 09 i believe.

teth
November 18th, 2008, 10:42
Adding a new level 3 inbetween the current level 3 and level 2. Now level 3 becomes level 4 and now level 4 becomes level 5... and this starts Dec. 09 i believe.

The new level 1 will also be more difficult.

I Am Quailman
November 18th, 2008, 10:45
I figured they would up the ante a bit for level 2 and 1... I'm getting my level two before next december... that way i can flaunt the 2 without having to deal with the BS lol... that and i already have level 3 in my back pocket... so if i pass the new level 3... it would look the same on paper.. and that's no good.

dombay
November 18th, 2008, 11:08
I stole this thread for the Japanese forum. Because I can. Muaha.

staroverfuji
November 18th, 2008, 11:10
im screwed. Ive been studying Japanese for years but im not very good at tests. So im sitting 3 kyu and um... *bangs head on tabel* its apinful to look at my scores.
But,i do know stupid vocab words like pallendrome and zygote in japanese.

newdawn
November 21st, 2008, 18:07
I figured they would up the ante a bit for level 2 and 1... I'm getting my level two before next december... that way i can flaunt the 2 without having to deal with the BS lol... that and i already have level 3 in my back pocket... so if i pass the new level 3... it would look the same on paper.. and that's no good.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the new levels will have an N in front of them, so the new level 3 will be N3 and hence NOT look the same on paper.

ENAY
November 22nd, 2008, 14:34
I got my test voucher last week and my test site seems like miles away. I know I'm not going to pass, haven't studied and right now don't have any motivation either. Wondering whether it's even worth paying the 2500yen odd amount of money to travel there on the trains. I'd rather save my money to be honest.

Marvellous Magician
November 22nd, 2008, 17:11
ENAY, I know how you feel. I am not even gonna bother turning up. The paper will be available online pretty soon after the exam I bet.

Timoshi
November 22nd, 2008, 19:34
Mine is finally in Kanazawa, about damn time. It was depressing having to head over to Toyama the past few years.

Fucking liar.

You're a SECOND YEAR!

For fuck's sake, give it up!

UPGRAYEDD
November 22nd, 2008, 19:43
Hiroshima University, I don't know where that is

Jordock
November 22nd, 2008, 20:20
Looks like I'm stuck taking the test at Kitakyushu University, which is ridiculously far away from me. I was expecting to be placed in Beppu (like everyone else who applied for Kyushu from Shikoku) which would have been a short ferry away as opposed to a 1 man overnight ferry.

wicket
November 22nd, 2008, 21:49
Boy, I guess I was lucky. My test site was a 5-minute bike ride from my apartment.
Good luck everyone! Wish I were there with you!

dombay
November 22nd, 2008, 22:44
Hirodai is in Saijo I beilieve? Nowhere near Hiroshima City. Us Okayama kids used to have to go there but then we moved to Okadai last year. They scrapped that pretty quick now Okarikadai. We're slipping down the scale rapidly.

Next year will be in the disabled phone booth outside the Cred Building on Kencho Dori I believe.

Gusuke
November 23rd, 2008, 10:42
I'm taking it at Tokyo University's Komaba campus, which is awesome since I used to live one train station away from there.

Lua
November 23rd, 2008, 13:32
Am I the only one who's taking it at York U near Toronto??

dombay
November 23rd, 2008, 19:24
Most probably. Most of us live in Japan.

I'm looking forward to taking it when I go home though. I reckon that'll be trippy.

SSJup81
November 26th, 2008, 13:55
I'm taking it too, but as you all know, I'm in the US. My test site is in northern Viriginia/Washington D.C. area, about a two-hour drive. I hope I know what I'm getting myself into. I'm kind of nervous over it. I hope I do okay with level 3. December 7 is right around the corner. I didn't mention my taking the SoP in my JET app..but I'm hoping that my teacher (reference) didn't mention it, just in case I don't pass it. ^^;

staroverfuji
November 30th, 2008, 10:45
Mishima! Easy bike ride or a train ride from my place :)

wicket
November 30th, 2008, 21:47
Good luck, everyone. One more week to go.
Stop all study right now and do practice test after practice test - at least two every single day. Then go over the parts you got wrong.
Trust me - it's too late to learn anything new out of context.

UPGRAYEDD
November 30th, 2008, 22:18
My monies are really tight right now. I might skip out on traveling to Hiroshima to take the test and go ahead and start studying for next years test. Or July's?

staroverfuji
December 1st, 2008, 11:29
anyone know where i can get answers for the practise JLPT you find online????

mattyjaddy
December 1st, 2008, 20:57
http://nihonhacks.com/japanese-language/past-jlpt-tests/

staroverfuji
December 1st, 2008, 22:13

Lua
December 2nd, 2008, 04:24
OMG matty THANK YOU SO MUCH- I only had the 2001-2007 for practice tests! I'm still totemo worried, but my marks are getting a little better with each test I take...

staroverfuji
December 2nd, 2008, 15:30
70% on the 2007 3kyu JLPT! wootness
and the mistakes were because i couldnt see half the kanji, silly online exams

SSJup81
December 2nd, 2008, 16:22
Man, it's nice that that site has past tests, but it's just so difficult to read the text.

staroverfuji
December 3rd, 2008, 11:22
I figure its a help, at least i know that if i could see it clearly i could get a higher score. ego boost much.

but yes, the migrane after 4 hours squinting isnt so good

SSJup81
December 3rd, 2008, 11:46
I got a headache actually trying and just gave up and went back to my Psych work. ^^

staroverfuji
December 3rd, 2008, 14:44
im a masochist when it comes to the greater good. i.e STUDY!!!!

Coollead
December 4th, 2008, 00:09
Where are you taking practice tests that are hard to read?

http://jlpt.biz/jlpt/jlptexamine.do?year=2007&level=3

are beautiful unicode text. Replace "2007" with the year you want, and "3" with the level you want.

You'll have to get the answers somewhere else though.

katsudon
December 4th, 2008, 08:54
woot woooooot, I'm going to Okayama Rika Daigaku for my efforts in JLPT futility. July is looking really good for passing it...but this should be a good experience.

Lua
December 4th, 2008, 13:26
UGH I'm in a TESL program right now and learning intense English grammar. I really have to get this JLPT test over with cause the English and Japanese grammar are beginning to cross streams, and as we all know, crossing the streams results in the complete obliteration of all mankind.

mattyjaddy
December 4th, 2008, 17:20
I thought crossing streams would kill a possessed Mr. Stay Puff.

newdawn
December 4th, 2008, 20:46
OMG, the JLPT is on Sunday!!! Who is going to just eek out a pass by the skin of their teeth, raise your hand.

*Raises hand*

Gusuke
December 4th, 2008, 22:10
As long as I get past 60% I'm happy. And to think this is the first time in my life where I'm shooting to get a D!

UPGRAYEDD
December 5th, 2008, 07:58
60% is an F bro.

Lua
December 6th, 2008, 11:21
It depends on where you're from. Here in Canada, a 60% is a C (a C minus to be exact) 70-79 is a B and 80-89 is an A. Anything above 90 is an A+
If you don't meet the 50% point it's considered a fail...

but with this test i guess it's kind of different.

As long as I get past 60% I'm happy. And to think this is the first time in my life where I'm shooting to get a D!

it's also my first time taking a test where I actually hope to get a 60%!!!

ok off i go now to take another practice test before i commit jisatsu...

dombay
December 7th, 2008, 06:12
60 is a P back home. But as they say Ps mean degrees!

I won't even get that today.

Good luck everyone!

SSJup81
December 8th, 2008, 20:15
A 60% here is considered failing. Anything under 70% here is failing, unless going by a university grading scale, then anything below 60% is failing.

I really hope I managed to get that 60%. As someone else mentioned, this is the first time I've ever hoped for something as low as that for a test score. ^^

Gusuke
April 8th, 2009, 09:38
Bumping this

Anybody know when the test application booklets are out?

UPGRAYEDD
April 8th, 2009, 09:47
Now

greg2vp
April 9th, 2009, 07:48
How hard is the level 4 test for someone with no Japanese language background.
How much prep/studying do you think it would take?

dombay
April 9th, 2009, 08:55
For an English native speaker I'd say 6 months.

But people say experience with other Asian languages helps as well. I suppose experience with other languages in general might help. But a busy life and social schedule (Japan is fun and should be enjoyed) that doesn't help.

Atalante
April 9th, 2009, 11:36
How hard is the level 4 test for someone with no Japanese language background.
How much prep/studying do you think it would take?

I took 4kyu my first year here, came here with no Japanese ability whatsoever.

Level 4 is the easiest test, but don't fool yourself thinking it's a free pass if you don't keep up on studying.

I mean, the stuff is technically easy, but for someone without much experience or time to study, it's very difficult. You really need to know your particles, grammar points, and vocabulary. Only need around 80 kanji so those should be free points provided you take the time to remember them. It's definitely 100% doable taking and passing the test in December after arriving in August with no ability, but you will have to study and prepare for it. Really, all about motivation. I'd say an hour of studying a day will prepare you no problem.

greg2vp
April 9th, 2009, 12:41
I took 4kyu my first year here, came here with no Japanese ability whatsoever.

Level 4 is the easiest test, but don't fool yourself thinking it's a free pass if you don't keep up on studying.

I mean, the stuff is technically easy, but for someone without much experience or time to study, it's very difficult. You really need to know your particles, grammar points, and vocabulary. Only need around 80 kanji so those should be free points provided you take the time to remember them. It's definitely 100% doable taking and passing the test in December after arriving in August with no ability, but you will have to study and prepare for it. Really, all about motivation. I'd say an hour of studying a day will prepare you no problem.

Thanks for the reply - do you have any recommendations of books or programs that you found effective? Did you end up taking any courses or just doing it on your own? Studying for the level 4 should at least give me some Japanese knowledge ability to help with day to day life.

Atalante
April 9th, 2009, 13:50
My city offered classes which I took, but I also did a fair amount of self-study.

I used the book series "Minna no Nihongo", although I've heard good things about "Shin Nihongo no Kuso" as well, I used their higher level textbooks and found them decent. If you clear one of those books and understand everything, you'll have no problem on the test, I think.

Also, best advice I can give you is dive right into kanji. Those books write kanji with the hiragana characters above them...most beginners just write things in hiragana which I think is a bad habit. If you force yourself to use kanji from the very beginning, it'll be much easier for you to pick up and you'll have a good advantage.

UPGRAYEDD
April 9th, 2009, 13:52
I'm taking 2 kyuu after being in Japan for a year. Before that I had a little introduction to kana and basic grammar but not much. I study a lot.

My books and study path are a bit different than Atalante's.

In order
Genki I
Genki II
(Kanji in Context)
J-Bridge to Intermediate Japanese
Writing Letters in Japanese
Formal Expressions for Japanese Interaction
Dictionary of Japanese Grammar - Basic/Intermediate

Kanji in Context is an ongoing project. I recomend starting this book after you get a good amount of basic Japanese under your belt.

J-Bridge is an all Japanese text, the listening portion of the book is the most natural I've ever found so far. A lot of the grammar points are already covered in the Genki series but everything is in Japanese so it's a good transition type of text.

Writing letters and the grammar books I keep for reference.

I'm looking for a teacher to help me go through formal expressions. The tapes, yes tapes, no cds, are really hard to find.

Mike_Davis
April 9th, 2009, 18:03
although I've heard good things about "Shin Nihongo no Kuso"

I'm going to be that guy and say you probably meant "Shin Nihongo no Kiso." Just to protect the poor Googlers.

Atalante
April 10th, 2009, 09:36
Yeah, that. I'm sure that a kuso book would be educational as well though, haha.

capn jazz
April 26th, 2009, 03:20
I kind of want to take the 2-kyuu level this year since I'll be in Japan. Except it's on the day of my 22nd birthday. :|

Avocado
April 26th, 2009, 07:28
I kind of want to take the 2-kyuu level this year since I'll be in Japan. Except it's on the day of my 22nd birthday. :|
Take a few extra hours out of your day, and then celebrate a lot after? I mean, I think that would give an excuse to party twice as hard.

:)

mattyjaddy
April 26th, 2009, 08:08
A few hours? Try half a day. Depending on where the testing location is, add more time.

kamukamuume
April 28th, 2009, 09:27
I'm about to send in my JLPT registration. Do you all know whether the deadline concerns when the application must be in by, or when it must be postmarked by?

Gusuke
April 28th, 2009, 09:30
Postmarked by May 1st

Hyakuman
April 28th, 2009, 09:40
Postmarked by May 1st

Oh shitballs, I gotta get my ass in gear. Do you have to buy the application at a bookstore?

Gusuke
April 28th, 2009, 11:27
Oh shitballs, I gotta get my ass in gear. Do you have to buy the application at a bookstore?

Yeah; I ended up calling the JLPT people since there wasn't a bookstore selling listed on their site for my prefecture.

kamukamuume
April 28th, 2009, 12:49
thx gusuke. I actually headed out from school to go home, fill out the app, and get it sent, but I didn't realize how involved the beast was. Gonna have to send it on Friday, it looks like.

Komadori
April 29th, 2009, 04:24
Postmarked by May 1st

Is that for the December date? o_O;;;;;

Avocado
April 29th, 2009, 09:48
Is that for the December date? o_O;;;;;
No, they're talking about the July test. Don't worry, you have time :)

Komadori
April 29th, 2009, 10:23
No, they're talking about the July test. Don't worry, you have time :)

PHEW! Thanks. :) Good to know. I'm pretty sure I have the 80 kanji down. It's more going over grammar and vocab at this point.

Avocado
April 29th, 2009, 10:27
PHEW! Thanks. :) Good to know. I'm pretty sure I have the 80 kanji down. It's more going over grammar and vocab at this point.
Are you going for 4-kyuu?? I think that you have more than enough time to get up to speed on 3-kyuu...the difference isn't that huge, and if you're willing to sit down and learn the language you'll be able to do it, no problem. And once you get to Japan you'll have both the time and means to get there :D

Komadori
April 29th, 2009, 10:30
Are you going for 4-kyuu?? I think that you have more than enough time to get up to speed on 3-kyuu...the difference isn't that huge, and if you're willing to sit down and learn the language you'll be able to do it, no problem. And once you get to Japan you'll have both the time and means to get there :D

Oh, really? Silly me for assuming. I thought you had to take one before the other. Yeah, if I can go for #3, I will! :) Awesome! :D

Hyakuman
May 7th, 2009, 10:25
thx gusuke. I actually headed out from school to go home, fill out the app, and get it sent, but I didn't realize how involved the beast was. Gonna have to send it on Friday, it looks like.

That application was such a twat.

¥ 500 Fee to buy the application
¥ 600 Fee to have photo taken
¥ 240 Postage
¥ 120 Postal furikomi fee
¥ 5500 Application fee
------
¥ 6960 One big ripoff

I had to write my girlfriend's address as my own in order to get a seating as close to Tokyo as possible. Stupid pain in the ass, that application was!

Gusuke
May 7th, 2009, 10:31
That application was such a twat.

¥ 500 Fee to buy the application
¥ 600 Fee to have photo taken
¥ 240 Postage
¥ 120 Postal furikomi fee
¥ 5500 Application fee
------
¥ 6960 One big ripoff

I had to write my girlfriend's address as my own in order to get a seating as close to Tokyo as possible. Stupid pain in the ass, that application was!

SERIOUSLY

why they don't do this online and have you pay via credit card or money order is beyond me.

Mike_Davis
May 7th, 2009, 11:32
SERIOUSLY

why they don't do this online and have you pay via credit card or money order is beyond me.

They do, if you're in the US. It seems both wrong and right that it's harder to apply for the JLPT in Japan than it is in a foreign country.

I got 1-kyu in December and was so happy that I wouldn't be taking any standardized tests this year...until I found out there's a proficiency test for the Monbusho. Time to start relearning all the Japanese I've forgotten in the past five months...

If anyone taking 1-kyu wants my ~2000 card Anki deck that may or may not be riddled with mistakes and may or may not be of help to you (i.e. your weak points may not be my weak points), send me a PM.

katsudon
May 8th, 2009, 09:38
FUCK I missed the deadline.

Komadori
May 8th, 2009, 09:43
FUCK I missed the deadline.

Which level were you going to test for?

Hyakuman
May 8th, 2009, 10:22
I'm going for 1-kyu, and I should breeze through it, but I need to study the uncommon bullshit that 1-kyu is notorious for. I haven't studied for anything in like 2 years though.

katsudon
May 8th, 2009, 11:56
2 kyuu....agh...I think I would have passed it since I got a 51% last time and have been dating a Japanese guy and learning a bunch of kanji since then.

well I'll sail through it in December?? I guess?? augh.

Komadori
May 12th, 2009, 10:20
Hang in there, katsudon. At least it's 2x a year...

I have about 500 vocabulary words entered into my flashcard program, and many more to go. Feeling good about it. ^_^ v

Miss_igirisu
May 14th, 2009, 17:57
Hey, I took 2kyuu in December in London, failed by about 5% (I blame it on the fact that my bfnd tried to break up with me the day before but that's another story ;-p)

I heard that the tests changed? Is 2kyuu more or less difficult now? And when's the next time to take it?

dombay
May 14th, 2009, 19:00
Not yet and December.

Yea I really should start studying more seriously hey.

Miss_igirisu
May 14th, 2009, 20:21
Not yet and December.

Yea I really should start studying more seriously hey.

Ta.

If you want a 'fun' way to study for it, smart.fm (it's a website, despite not having a .com/.co.jp etc) might be of use. :-)

dombay
May 14th, 2009, 20:22
ta will look into it :)

saritajuanita
May 15th, 2009, 21:19
barely passed 2kyu not this past december but the year before that. taking 1kyu in july but there's no way i can pass it. i'm studying about 1~2 hours everyday in my downtime at work but there is just too much material.

right now i'm trying to beef up my vocabulary. reading will murder me but hopefully listening will make up for it.

staroverfuji
May 19th, 2009, 09:26
I will never pass 2 kyuu *cries*

But at least I know all the kanji for cancer :P

Grimalkin
May 31st, 2009, 23:30
When are we supposed to get the reply forms back in the mail? Lost the little pamphlet and just want to make sure I didnt screw something up and just wont be receiving a reply.

Anyhow barring any problems I'm taking 2 kyuu in July. Feeling confident so far now that I've finished studying the kanji. I just hope I actually remember all the grammar I should.

Hyakuman
June 1st, 2009, 10:29
I think the pamphlet said they will be sending out the reply forms in mid-June.

puma
June 1st, 2009, 22:49
is genki 1 and 2 and studying the speedanki.com kanji sufficient to pass 3kyuu?

UPGRAYEDD
June 2nd, 2009, 07:56
Yes with a few hours of test specific studying.

Gusuke
June 2nd, 2009, 13:27
Man, thanks to Mnemosyne I'm kicking ass and taking names with JLPT 2 vocab!

Avocado
June 2nd, 2009, 13:31
How are you studying that vocab? Just the English translation, or are you making context-specific sentences, etc?

Gusuke
June 2nd, 2009, 13:45
Straight up memorization and knowing how to read it in Japanese

cm2jr4
June 8th, 2009, 04:27

I use Mnemosyne also for vocab, it rocks.
I'm going to try my hand at the JLPT 2 in December.

elleohelle
June 8th, 2009, 05:16
Do I need to be on the lookout for signing up for the test when I arrive in Japan? I was hoping to take 3kyu in December.

cm2jr4
June 8th, 2009, 05:40
Do I need to be on the lookout for signing up for the test when I arrive in Japan? I was hoping to take 3kyu in December.

I think you can sign up online and the deadline for last year's December test was around the end of September in USA, should be around the same in Japan.

FiercestCalm
June 8th, 2009, 05:54
I'm excited - been looking at some review materials and it looks like I'm solidly at level 3. Hopefully I'll be able to take level 2 next year sometime.

dombay
June 11th, 2009, 19:32
Yep sign up ends in about September and you can get the forms at bookshops here for 500 yen.

Where's my voucher eh? They're cutting it a bit thin.

Yuffie
June 11th, 2009, 20:13
Yep sign up ends in about September and you can get the forms at bookshops here for 500 yen.

Where's my voucher eh? They're cutting it a bit thin.

The pamphlet says it's TENTATIVELY being mailed on June 12th which is tomorrow. But yeah, I didn't realize before but that is cutting it a bit short.

Hyakuman
June 15th, 2009, 13:15
Got word from the girlfriend that my voucher came in yesterday. Writing in Saitama University (wherever the hell that is!). Better than Gundai though, I needs to get to the airport right after!

Yuffie
June 15th, 2009, 15:04
Yeah I got my voucher...and can't understand where I'm going from the map on it. This could be interesting as I have no sense of direction...

dombay
June 15th, 2009, 15:16
Ok got my test voucher today. But I've been too busy since the last one to actually study meaning a guarunteed fail I'm thinking so I'm not sure if i should bother even turning up and wasting a Sunday.

Gusuke
June 15th, 2009, 15:16
Taking it at the Todai Komaba campus again; since I'm going to park and ride again like when I came for the Orama, I think I'll take my sweet time after the test, and have a nice post test lunch and do some shopping at Shimokitazawa.

kamukamuume
June 15th, 2009, 15:34
Anyone testing in Osaka? I was going for Kyoto, but they put me at Osaka University's Toyonaka Campus. Shouldn't be too hard to get to from my girlfriend's place.

By the way, Gusuke, Shimokitazawa is awesome. There are some great cafes there, too.

Gusuke
June 15th, 2009, 15:37
Anyone testing in Osaka? I was going for Kyoto, but they put me at Osaka University's Toyonaka Campus. Shouldn't be too hard to get to from my girlfriend's place.

By the way, Gusuke, Shimokitazawa is awesome. There are some great cafes there, too.

Hell yeah man, I used to live one station away from there! Hopefully Doug wouldn't be too busy after the test, so I could go with him him, or anybody else here testing there.

Grimalkin
June 15th, 2009, 16:54
Got my voucher as well, sadly they placed me at a University in Toyama City. I was hoping for Kanazawa as thats actually closer and a hell of a lot nicer.

sstar
June 16th, 2009, 00:01
I'm going to Kanazawa for my test. It's gonna be my first JLPT and am freaking out.

krazie85
June 16th, 2009, 07:45
taking Level 2 in Kochi at 高知工科大学 (Kochi Engineering College?!)

First time taking JLPT as well, hope I pass!

Yuffie
July 3rd, 2009, 19:23
Bump cuz this shit's on Sunday! I am totally screwed but I figured I might as well give it a whirl! Who else will be there with me??

saritajuanita
July 3rd, 2009, 19:52
i know i'm not going to pass so i'm just kind of taking it easy. still need to buy pencils and figure out my trains. last time i went with a group of people but this time i'm by myself. hope it doesn't suck.

Yuffie
July 3rd, 2009, 20:07
Haha yeah, I think I'm pretty much on my own tooo and I can't read maps so um I'm leaving extra early on Sunday in case I get lost.

UPGRAYEDD
July 5th, 2009, 18:29
man that sucked

Grimalkin
July 5th, 2009, 19:03
The first two sections went fine, but reading and grammar raped me. Took too much time reading and then had to rush the grammar. Ill be lucky if I pass.

Yuffie
July 5th, 2009, 21:55
I WAS DIZZY ON COLD MEDShahahahahahahaa

UPGRAYEDD
July 5th, 2009, 22:37
I DRANK TOO MUCH WHISKEY

saritajuanita
July 6th, 2009, 07:26
kanji/vocab for 1kyu made me throw up a little in my mouth

AtomicYak
July 6th, 2009, 09:05
If anyone finds the answers embedded in some Chinese website, please post here! I have a slight confidence that I passed.

Any other 1級ers know the answers to the きざ and 突如 questions?

kamukamuume
July 6th, 2009, 09:13
the listening was actually the hardest for me (2級 here). there were a lot of words I wasn't familiar with, and only hearing them once, with a lot of twists and turns thrown in, kind of messed me up.

the kanji I feel like I pretty much destroyed, and I tore the reading/grammar section from limb to limb. I knew that time was going to be an issue, so I took some a tip I'd read before: go through the grammar and do all the ones you know, skipping the ones you don't. then read the questions for a reading section, find the answer, etc. repeat until reading is done. if you have time, go back through and finish the grammar questions you weren't sure of.

I'm kicking myself for listening, though. I always obsess over mistakes I made, so I could have done fine on the section and just be ruminating over the things I didn't know. who knows!

AtomicYak
July 6th, 2009, 09:19
If anyone finds the answers embedded in some Chinese website, please post here! I have a slight confidence that I passed.

Any other 1級ers know the answers to the きざ and 突如 questions?
1級 Vocab
http://jp.hjenglish.com/page/77963/
1級 Listening Part 2
http://jp.hjenglish.com/page/77962/?page=1
1級 Grammar
Questions: http://bbs.neworldjp.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=33&Id=50711
Answers: http://jp.hjenglish.com/page/77951/
EDIT: Grammar is missing #30. The answer is 2.

dorovar
July 7th, 2009, 15:06
2級 is still haunting my soul. It kicked my ass, and now I respect it. I will make my attempt at revenge come December!!

How anyone can read all of the Reading section in the alloted time?!?

kamukamuume
July 7th, 2009, 15:10
2級 is still haunting my soul. It kicked my ass, and now I respect it. I will make my attempt at revenge come December!!

How anyone can read all of the Reading section in the alloted time?!?

it is a bit unfair in the respect that a huge percentage of those taking the test are Chinese/Taiwanese, so reading similar characters comes as second nature to them. you can bet they're that much faster!

but if you expect that time'll be a problem, you can do lots to get around it. the biggest thing, in my opinion: instead of reading essays, read questions and search for those answers.

UPGRAYEDD
July 7th, 2009, 20:40
I think people would have plenty of time for the readings if they only spend 20-25 minutes on the grammar questions.

Also I recommend
JapanTimes : Rapid Reading Japanese: Improv... (http://bookclub.japantimes.co.jp/act/en/Detail.do?id=0915)

keekers
July 7th, 2009, 22:19
I think people would have plenty of time for the readings if they only spend 20-25 minutes on the grammar questions.

Also I recommend
JapanTimes : Rapid Reading Japanese: Improv... (http://bookclub.japantimes.co.jp/act/en/Detail.do?id=0915)
Yes, this is key. Do the grammar questions first, and don't spend more than 20 minutes on them. They don't require much thinking, it's either you know it or you don't, so you can breeze through them quickly. Also like kingmongkut said, read the questions first, and then skim the passage for the answers. This isn't really a Japanese thing, it's just a good test taking strategy. I do it when I am taking tests in English too.

kamukamuume
July 7th, 2009, 22:56

Also I recommend

how do you feel you did overall, mr. grayedd?

UPGRAYEDD
July 8th, 2009, 08:08
how do you feel you did overall, mr. grayedd?

Not so good on the grammars.

If I passed it would only be by a few points so I'm taking it again until I get above 80%

kamukamuume
July 8th, 2009, 09:53
Not so good on the grammars.

If I passed it would only be by a few points so I'm taking it again until I get above 80%

yeah, I hear that. the word on the street is that your score is actually written on the certificate. now that's a load of GUNK.

Mike_Davis
July 8th, 2009, 10:01
yeah, I hear that. the word on the street is that your score is actually written on the certificate. now that's a load of GUNK.

This is true. Not just your final percentage, either; it's broken down by section.

I'm kind of happy about that, though. I scored a bit above 80%, but I somehow bombed the listening with a 65.

Me to employer: "See, I'm actually not so bad at Japanese - just the whole speaking and listening part. Please don't judge me based on what you hear coming out of my mouth right now."

kamukamuume
July 8th, 2009, 10:06
This is true. Not just your final percentage, either; it's broken down by section.

I'm kind of happy about that, though. I scored a bit above 80%, but I somehow bombed the listening with a 65.

Me to employer: "See, I'm actually not so bad at Japanese - just the whole speaking and listening part. Please don't judge me based on what you hear coming out of my mouth right now."

so you actually show them the certificate sometimes? it's not just like, "oh, I passed the ikkyuu. I'm officially l33t now, ROFL."

this has thrust me into deeper punkstuff than I'd imagined.

UPGRAYEDD
July 8th, 2009, 10:26
Haha eventually I'll have to learn how to speak and produce my own sentences.

'Here is my 2 kyu certificate but I can't speak to you but hey look I passed pretty good.'

JLPT is just a general learning target. It won't get me an international career on its own.

Mike_Davis
July 8th, 2009, 13:58
so you actually show them the certificate sometimes? it's not just like, "oh, I passed the ikkyuu. I'm officially l33t now, ROFL."

I've only been asked to produce a certificate in two very specific instances; other than that, it's just a line on my resume.

Gusuke
July 8th, 2009, 14:02
Haha eventually I'll have to learn how to speak and produce my own sentences.

'Here is my 2 kyu certificate but I can't speak to you but hey look I passed pretty good.'

JLPT is just a general learning target. It won't get me an international career on its own.

As of now I'm going to focus more on getting into a good business school, and using that in conjunction with JLPT to get a good job in the future, rather than solely relying on JLPT, so I agree with you.

kamukamuume
July 8th, 2009, 14:04
I've only been asked to produce a certificate in two very specific instances; other than that, it's just a line on my resume.

would you say that having 1kyuu has been a big part of your resume?

Mike_Davis
July 9th, 2009, 13:40
would you say that having 1kyuu has been a big part of your resume?

ESID and all that, but I don't think it's a huge help to have. If you're applying for jobs requiring Japanese ability, it shows that you have a minimum baseline of aptitude, and it may get you through the document screening. If you're applying for anything else, it's just an extra.

Right now I'm mainly applying for private ALT jobs; I'm still waiting to hear the results of my grad school apps for next year, and I don't want to lock into the one year contract most non-teaching jobs for foreigners require. Like anything else, though, you try to work it towards your advantage; I play up the fact that I can communicate with teachers effectively (especially at elementary schools), and that I'm unlikely to call my office with "I can't read this letter - is it important?" type stuff.

I also think it's somewhat helpful in that it counters that lazy partier image that JET ALTs sometimes get branded with here, fairly or unfairly. If you're the kind of stable (boring?) person that invests your time into studying for optional tests...you're likely to be a diligent worker who isn't going to cause the BoE any grief. Scoring a rank on any type of kentei here is useful (debates on the general usefulness of the JLPT/Eiken/etc. notwithstanding...).

Jcubed
July 9th, 2009, 15:55

Also I recommend

I also endorse this book. My professor authored it and we used it in class. It definitely helped my reading speed and reading ability in general.

kamukamuume
July 9th, 2009, 15:59
I also endorse this book. My professor authored it and we used it in class. It definitely helped my reading speed and reading ability in general.

what school are you from? MSU here!

krazie85
July 9th, 2009, 20:12
The biggest benefit in my opinion to having a JLPT certification is it shows that you did something in addition to your everyday job while you were in Japan.

Things like that will separate you from the rest of the people who taught abroad when you are job searching regardless of if you need Japanese language skill.

Jcubed
July 9th, 2009, 21:56
what school are you from? MSU here!

University of Michigan, relative neighbors, it appears.

saritajuanita
July 9th, 2009, 22:14

whoa, since when? took 2kyu december 2007 and it didn't say my score on the certificate, just on the same postcard that the certificate was attached to

Mike_Davis
July 9th, 2009, 22:36
whoa, since when? took 2kyu december 2007 and it didn't say my score on the certificate, just on the same postcard that the certificate was attached to

That's still the same, but they print it on those official A4 certificates you can order.

saritajuanita
July 9th, 2009, 22:56
That's still the same, but they print it on those official A4 certificates you can order.

ooo... uh-oh... maybe i should retake 2 kyu :120:

jonesinjapan
July 22nd, 2009, 13:58
There was this really good website to get the old JLPT test from but its gone now, does anyone know of any new ones to practice with?

surgeon
July 22nd, 2009, 14:32
http://jlpt.u-biq.org/

eta: above just a practice/testing site, doesn't have previous tests. i have a link for that on home computer.

Timoshi
July 22nd, 2009, 22:08
There was this really good website to get the old JLPT test from but its gone now, does anyone know of any new ones to practice with?

There are some links on this thread from my prefecture's forum. I uploaded a bunch of 3 kyuu tests there too...

http://j-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9566

Taurus
July 23rd, 2009, 05:53
{\͎wKTCg (http://jlpt.u-biq.org/)

eta: above just a practice/testing site, doesn't have previous tests. i have a link for that on home computer.

That's a good site. But now that Heisig has helped me learn all the kanji, all the kana hurt my eyes. It made me realise how much I depend on kanji to be able to understand stuff.

surgeon
July 23rd, 2009, 07:28
That's a good site. But now that Heisig has helped me learn all the kanji, all the kana hurt my eyes. It made me realise how much I depend on kanji to be able to understand stuff.

all the kana? what test are you practicing?

Taurus
July 23rd, 2009, 07:40
all the kana? what test are you practicing?

This (http://jlpt.u-biq.org/3v1.html) one, for example, but all of the JLPT 3 tests are kanji-lite. That's why I thought it was noteworthy: I just realised that all of a sudden, Heisig has helped my kanji recognition far exceed my grammar. Although now your post has prompted me to start on the 2kyuu tests and I'm doing better than I thought...

surgeon
July 23rd, 2009, 09:03
even parts of the 1kyuu tests have kana displayed in that way. the reasoning behind it is that with the kanji it is much easier, so it forces you to understand and remember verbs and adjectives for their usage, rather than their kanji.

capn jazz
August 3rd, 2009, 14:17
I'm aiming for 2Q this December. I really haven't the slightest clue what books would be good for it. White Rabbit Press (which makes 2Q kanji cards I am currently coveting) also makes,separately, reading, grammar, and vocab books ($20 each though!), and a "comprehensive exercise book" ($25). Does anyone know anything about these books? Or have other, slightly less costly options?

UPGRAYEDD
August 3rd, 2009, 14:44
Unicom books are pretty solid.

puma
August 3rd, 2009, 15:01
the best thing to do would be not to just get a book aimed at passing the test--thats too japanese.

in reality you should just use whichever study materials are good for learning japanese in general, such as the genki series etc, and then take a test when you feel you actually know enough japanese to pass it without having studied just to pass the test.

capn jazz
August 3rd, 2009, 15:02
Okay, but which ones, and from where? There's quite a few options from Unicom (which I thought said unicorn at first, but whatever)

AliDimayev
August 3rd, 2009, 15:06
Okay, but which ones, and from where? There's quite a few options from Unicom (which I thought said unicorn at first, but whatever)
Genki is good me thnks. Also, there is a good series with two books called J301 and J501 or something. Those are good. Just go to a book store and take some time and look through the various textbooks and pick one that suits you the best.

UPGRAYEDD
August 3rd, 2009, 16:15

Amazon.jp is where I get my books from.

Amazon.co.jp: ̓Abv - a: { (http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_ss_b?__mk_ja_JP=%83J%83%5E%83J%83i&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=%8E%C0%97%CD%83A%83b%83v&x=0&y=0)

UPGRAYEDD
August 3rd, 2009, 16:26
the best thing to do would be not to just get a book aimed at passing the test--thats too japanese.

in reality you should just use whichever study materials are good for learning japanese in general, such as the genki series etc, and then take a test when you feel you actually know enough japanese to pass it without having studied just to pass the test.

There isn't much non JLPT material out there specific to language learners that will get you up to level 2. 新日本語中級 will get you close but not quite there. The assumption here is that once you finish the highest level text books people start living in Japanese and everything just soaks in from there.

The problem comes in with the grammar sections of the JLPT because a shit ton of the higher level (1 and 2) grammar questions do not really appear that much in real life. So it's a good idea for test takers to check up on the JLPT grammar books every now and then.

capn jazz
August 3rd, 2009, 17:08
Amazon.jp is where I get my books from.

Amazon.co.jp: ��̓A�b�v - �a��: �{ (http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_ss_b?__mk_ja_JP=%83J%83%5E%83J%83i&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=%8E%C0%97%CD%83A%83b%83v&x=0&y=0)

Sorry, are those tests from different years? Or is it an overview of the grammar/vocab/etc for the test, and an "updated" version comes out every year? I'm just confused about why there's so many that look so similar... and the wall of kanji is assaulting my brain.

Thanks for answering my redundant questions!

UPGRAYEDD
August 3rd, 2009, 17:27
Sorry, are those tests from different years? Or is it an overview of the grammar/vocab/etc for the test, and an "updated" version comes out every year? I'm just confused about why there's so many that look so similar... and the wall of kanji is assaulting my brain.

They are broken down by level and the different aspects of the test.
Japanese Textbooks Power Up! Japanese Proficiency Test Speed Learning Series (http://www.unicom-lra.co.jp/ja/ja_e.html)

capn jazz
August 3rd, 2009, 17:33
Thanks!

Absolute
August 3rd, 2009, 17:37

Looks like they've split the various parts of the test up.
Grammer, reading, listening and kanji each in separate books.
The kanji, grammer, etc lists don't really change from year to year just the ones they choose to use in the tests.

Could try this site The JLPT Study Page (http://www.jlptstudy.com/)

If it hasn't been said, from memory they're changing the system slightly at either the end of this year or end of next - can't remember which.
From memory 1&2 stays the same a new 3rd level appears after 2 and 3 becomes 4, 4 becomes 5.

Mr. Plainview
August 4th, 2009, 01:42
yeah, they are adding a level between the large gap from 3 to 2. it was supposed to happen this year, but was pushed back to 2010 i believe.

Naru-toes
August 4th, 2009, 09:46
So my procrastinating to take 4 means I've now dropped a level in ability to level 5? Oh noes! I'm going backwards!

Rachel1404
August 5th, 2009, 10:16
I'm pretty sure it's in this thread already but (I'm too lazy to sift through sorry) when and where does one purchase the JLPT application? Or have I missed this year's window already?

surgeon
August 5th, 2009, 10:52
you can get one from any good bookshop in Japan. Kinokuniya, Junkudo etc.

from memory application deadline is early to mid-September (so take into account time for postage also)

Rachel1404
August 5th, 2009, 15:42
Great, thanks! Now I just have to find one of said good bookshops...

elleohelle
August 8th, 2009, 09:31
Although a bookstore may not have applications on site, they can order them for you. That's what my local Mizawa is doing for me :D

Coollead
August 8th, 2009, 11:55
Application releases on the 28th of August, and the test day is December 6th.

Wakatta
August 10th, 2009, 02:23
Where do I sign up if I'm in the US?

UPGRAYEDD
August 10th, 2009, 08:45
You know using google will give you instant results.

Coollead
August 10th, 2009, 13:27
Where do I sign up if I'm in the US?
On the website, insanely easily.

Much better than the shit system Japan uses.

stufflikethat
August 11th, 2009, 09:30
They are broken down by level and the different aspects of the test.
Japanese Textbooks Power Up! Japanese Proficiency Test Speed Learning Series (http://www.unicom-lra.co.jp/ja/ja_e.html)
So would anyone recommend these books for studying?

This will be my first time taking the test since I missed the deadline last year. Right now I've been using kanji flashcards, Genki 1, and meeting with a tutor once a week. Maybe that's enough?

kawyn
August 11th, 2009, 10:01
I thought Id be motivated to study but it seems to have the opposite effect on me :(
I failed 2kyuu 2 years ago by 5% and I feel like I used to be 10 times better than than I am right now....
Im so overwhelmed I dont know how or where to start:'(

UPGRAYEDD
August 11th, 2009, 10:47
So would anyone recommend these books for studying?

This will be my first time taking the test since I missed the deadline last year. Right now I've been using kanji flashcards, Genki 1, and meeting with a tutor once a week. Maybe that's enough?

No not really. You are not advanced enough to get much use out of the unicom series. I'd keep using genki and try to meet the tutor at least twice a week.

What level are you going for?

stufflikethat
August 11th, 2009, 13:24
No not really. You are not advanced enough to get much use out of the unicom series. I'd keep using genki and try to meet the tutor at least twice a week.

What level are you going for?
Oh OK, thanks.

Probably 3kyu. I was going to do 4kyu since it's my first time taking the test, but I changed my mind after looking at the kanji and grammar list. I already know all of it pretty well, so I think I should challange myself. If I'm studying every day, I think I'll be ready by December.

kamukamuume
August 11th, 2009, 15:43
Oh OK, thanks.

Probably 3kyu. I was going to do 4kyu since it's my first time taking the test, but I changed my mind after looking at the kanji and grammar list. I already know all of it pretty well, so I think I should challange myself. If I'm studying every day, I think I'll be ready by December.

I suggest going to a bookstore (a big one if you have access to a city) and flipping through the JLPT prep books that are designed for 3kyu. as there are books designed for each test, I don't really think there's a "level" at which they become useful. I loved unicom for JLPT2, but its book for level 1 kind of sucked--just look through each book and decide which style you like. there should be 3-4 major ones.

I was considerably below 2kyu level when I got here last year, but the power up kanji/vocab book really consolidated things well for me. I really felt prepared for the test, for what it's worth.

also, check out speed anki (google it); it's great for practice and learning some new words/kanji. if you keep it in the background and spend 10 minutes going through it now and again throughout the day, that alone should make a world of difference.

stufflikethat
August 11th, 2009, 17:06
I suggest going to a bookstore (a big one if you have access to a city) and flipping through the JLPT prep books that are designed for 3kyu. as there are books designed for each test, I don't really think there's a "level" at which they become useful. I loved unicom for JLPT2, but its book for level 1 kind of sucked--just look through each book and decide which style you like. there should be 3-4 major ones.

I was considerably below 2kyu level when I got here last year, but the power up kanji/vocab book really consolidated things well for me. I really felt prepared for the test, for what it's worth.

also, check out speed anki (google it); it's great for practice and learning some new words/kanji. if you keep it in the background and spend 10 minutes going through it now and again throughout the day, that alone should make a world of difference.
wow! thanks for all the advice! :D

Unfortunately, the large bookstore closest to me just closed down :(. I'm hoping to make it out to Kansai soon, then I should have no problem finding a bookstore.

I'll definitely check out the speed anki. Thanks again!

capn jazz
August 11th, 2009, 17:27
Yea, I'll be in Tokyo this week on vacation so I'm going to pop into a Kinokuniya or something.

Gezora
September 2nd, 2009, 15:28
Really dumb question.

So I'm filling out the application. Should I put Japan as my country code since I currently live here or America since I have an American passport? It's not really clear.

UPGRAYEDD
September 2nd, 2009, 15:31
AMERIKA

Eira
September 2nd, 2009, 15:46
I was wondering the same thing... Thanks for the help!

Yeti99
September 2nd, 2009, 16:06
Remember, this test is directed to foreigners studying Japanese. It's not something like the kanji kentei that is for Japanese people to show off their kanji skills to their friends & family. Always put your nationality, not where you are currently living.

kamukamuume
December 6th, 2009, 18:45
...so how did you all do?

I took 1kyu today. I was extremely nervous going into it, but I at least got the gist of all the reading passages and conversation clips in the exam. just this past summer, when I took the 2kyu, there's no way I would've had a chance.

listening really took me by surprise. I expected to be one of my stronger sections, but I think it was probably my weakest. kanji/vocab and grammar were easier than on a lot of practice tests I saw, so maybe it all balances out.

what're all your thoughts? ready to wait 3 months to find out your results? -_-

vertigo_stick
December 6th, 2009, 20:50
Fuck yeah I know I passed 2 kyuu.

They pulled a few stunts in vocab/kanji though.... reading was easy as shit though and that was my worst section last time, so I guess I've grown in my Japanese skills siginificantly since last year.

Now the waiting game...also I gotta decide if I want to try 1 kyuu in July or put it off til December/indefinitely.

gingerbread
December 6th, 2009, 21:04
i only took 4 but i'm pretty sure i failed. which is... fine. there was a lot of grammar stuff that i was clueless about.

i was amazed at the amount of test-takers that were blatantly ignorant of the 'rules.' they kept getting yellow carded for stupid stuff. if they can't even understand "gamu dame" and the refs pantomiming that chewing gum is off limits, what are they doing there....?

UPGRAYEDD
December 6th, 2009, 21:23
I got a Taiwanese girls's number.

cm2jr4
December 6th, 2009, 22:48
Level 3 was alright.

Alphabet
December 6th, 2009, 23:23
I took level 3. I think I did really bad on the kanji part, so so on listening, and maybe a little well on grammar. Our test location was beat. The room had ROACHES and the clock was ten or fifteen minutes fast and no-one mentioned it. So, I thought my own watch was wrong, and then panicked because I thought I had less time than I actually did. Thus, I think I did bad on the first part.

Oh well. I can't do much but wait until Feb.

arislan
December 7th, 2009, 07:10
3 was okay, I won't really be surprised either way.

Kanji and listening were really easy, I was actually disappointed with how little emphasis there was on kanji, made all my studying feel a bit of a waste.

Grammar and vocab didn't go so well though, so I'm not sure.

I was also surprised at all the cheating, so many people were reading the question paper before the exam started I almost thought it was okay. Then one person got carded. :roll:

elleohelle
December 7th, 2009, 08:02
I took 3 kyu. The vocab and kanji were not too bad. The listening and grammar were so so. The reading was pretty easy I thought.

mintedchip
December 7th, 2009, 08:51
...so how did you all do?

I took 1kyu today.

listening really took me by surprise. I expected to be one of my stronger sections, but I think it was probably my weakest. kanji/vocab and grammar were easier than on a lot of practice tests I saw, so maybe it all balances out.

Sheesh. Took 1-Kyu yesterday and was surprised as well by the essays. Got stumped on some of the listening as my mind was a little hyper from all the chocolate I'd eaten during the break... Also wasn't prepared for how quickly the exam would go. I was too cheap to buy the prax tests... :rolleyes:

miks
December 7th, 2009, 11:51
I took 1 kyuu. I have been preparing for it since late June. It was my first official test, but to prepare for today's (was it really today? feels like it happened last week already) test, I took 19 practice tests, in which I passed 9 and failed 10.

However, I'm fairly confident that I've passed today's test.
The vocab section wasn't as difficult as I thought, as was the listening section (ever since 2004(?), they've had the soft speaking woman who gives a lot of easier questions compared to 2002 or - ugh - 1998!) but the reading was alarmingly hard hahaha. I don't think I even understood 1/2 of the first essay, and I spent at least 20 minutes on that one question. I did my grammar in 25 minutes though, so I had lots of time to go back and keep trying to answer reading 1.

All in all I'm pretty certain that I've passed.
And now to let the dumbening begin :V

Virus FM
December 7th, 2009, 12:49
It was my first time. I took 2級. Here's my rendition of what the listening part is like:

A man and a woman are talking about a party. How many people will be coming to the party?

Man: "How many people are coming to the party?"
Woman: "Hmmm, let's see, 8 people, right?"
Man: "Yes, but oh, Tanaka is sick you know?"
Woman: "Oh right, well his wife is coming right?"
Man: "She died, remember?"
Woman: "Yes, but they gave her that new resurrection surgery."
Man: "Oh I forgot about that."
Woman: "Yeah, so her and 2 of her clones will be coming. That's how they perform resurrection surgery. They clone you."
Man: "Well, that could be confusing for guests, and what's more, we don't have that much food. Maybe we ought to call her and tell her to only bring the 'real' Mrs.Tanaka..."
Woman: "Which one is that? The advent of resurrection surgery brings forth to humanity an entirely new realm of philosophical and ethical problems. What is identity? What is humanity without the threat of death? To what ends are we shaping the human race?"

How many people will attend the party?

Here's my rendition of what the reading section was like:

XXXXXがXXXXXXXXXだから、XXXXXXXXXXX 
XXXXXXXXXX行XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX、XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXとすればXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX。

(1) XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX?
1.XXXXXXXX、XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX。
2.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX。
3.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX行って、XXXXXXXX。
4.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX。

wry bread
December 7th, 2009, 13:07
That was awesome.

WesleyCrusher
December 7th, 2009, 13:39
I got a Taiwanese girls's number.

u pimp

UPGRAYEDD
December 7th, 2009, 14:05
Yea I learned how to say 'yo sup whats your name in chinese' and I used it on a girl staring me down in the waiting room.

Her English is horrible though.

WesleyCrusher
December 7th, 2009, 14:09
HARRO HARRO UPGRAYEDD ME RUV YOU RONG TIME

who needs English?

Hyakuman
December 7th, 2009, 14:10

Took 1kyu again and prolli failed again.... :|

That being said, I found this one to be all-together easier than the 1kyu in July of this year. The kanji-vocab wasn't terribly difficult, the listening was average, the reading comprehension was WAY easier than in July, and I got harsh raped on the grammar (my historically weakest point).

I dunno, I studied a total of zero seconds for this exam, and had no motivation to do it. I almost skipped it this time around but since I already wasted 6000 yen applying for the thing, I figured I might as well waste more money in gas and time writing it.

mintedchip
December 7th, 2009, 16:15
Ugh... how many times have you taken the level 1 test (Hyaku)? It doesn't seem like the sort of thing one passes on the first try. That said, I'm not looking forward to retaking it in July! It's usually tougher?? Blech.

vertigo_stick
December 7th, 2009, 16:58
OH GOD Virus that's hilarious.

I liked the stupid story about the hat. I mean....wtf.

Coollead
December 7th, 2009, 21:40
It was my first time. I took 2級. Here's my rendition of what the listening part is like:

Here's my rendition of what the reading section was like:
Wow.

That's exactly how I felt. Listening was a breeze, but reading? UGH.

I DIDN'T KNOW 行為, BUT IT WAS IN EVERY FUCKING PROBLEM.

AliDimayev
December 7th, 2009, 21:55
I DIDN'T KNOW 行為, BUT IT WAS IN EVERY FUCKING PROBLEM.

Did you do any of the CLAIR course from last year, even if very cursory?

kamukamuume
December 8th, 2009, 08:39
Virus FM, I totally understand what you mean. The listening was a lot like that for me. definitely my weakest point.

I just barely had enough time to finish the reading/grammar part, but I made it with like 2 minutes to spare. grammar I thought was about par for the course: that is, it was pretty much identical to past exams and grammar prep books. I practiced the reading the most out of anything, but unless you're Chinese, it takes time to get fast. and especially with the denser, more rigid passages, I have to read through the first paragraph at least twice before it starts to make any sense.

also, there's something to be said for cramming during the breaks between sections of the test. I think I picked up 4 vocab words in my pre-kanji test read-through that ended up appearing in the kanji section!

mteacher80
December 8th, 2009, 09:48
1-kyu: 2009年12月日语一级答案及真题汇总_日语学习网站_日语培训_教程_口语_沪江网 (http://jp.hjenglish.com/page/90394/)
2-kyu: 2009年12月日语二级答案及真题汇总_日语学习网站_日语培训_教程_口语_沪江网 (http://jp.hjenglish.com/page/90416/)
3-kyu: 2009年12月日语三级答案及真题汇总_日语学习网站_日语培训_教程_口语_沪江网 (http://jp.hjenglish.com/page/90421/)

miks
December 8th, 2009, 12:07
I started studying for the JLPT last June/July.
At first I was thinking it would be nice if I could just pass 3 kyuu, but after a month of studying I realized that 3 kyuu was too easy, and that I should try for 2 kyuu. And then another month went by.. and I decided that if I'm going to take this test, I should just aim for the highest one. I wasn't sure if I should aim fomr 2 kyuu or 1 kyuu, so I took practice tests in both. I got a 80 on the 2 kyuu test I took, and a 50% on 1 kyuu hahha.

But I figured that, it's 70% to pass 1 kyuu, and if I can score a 50% right off the bat without ever having taken this test, then I would definitely be able to make up the other 20% in the next 3~4 months (which I did).

(these are past tests of 1 kyuu I had tried before taking the test yeserday:
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7113/15746127663231120410918.jpg)

This year's 1 kyuu was fun. I'm so glad I took it this year. The vocab wasn't so hard, listening was hysterical (there probably wasn't a single 1 kyuu classroom that didn't laugh), the reading was a drag (social issues? Egh boring) but the grammar was all right. I'm pretty sure I passed, but I'll only know for certain in February/March.

mintedchip
December 8th, 2009, 14:27
1-kyu: 2009年12月日语一级答案及真题汇总_日语学习网站_日语培训_教程_口语_沪江网 (http://jp.hjenglish.com/page/90394/)
2-kyu: 2009年12月日语二级答案及真题汇总_日语学习网站_日语培训_教程_口语_沪江网 (http://jp.hjenglish.com/page/90416/)
3-kyu: 2009年12月日语三级答案及真题汇总_日语学习网站_日语培训_教程_口语_沪江网 (http://jp.hjenglish.com/page/90421/)

WOW!!! Thanks!! :p_cake:

Hyakuman
December 8th, 2009, 15:50
Ugh... how many times have you taken the level 1 test (Hyaku)? It doesn't seem like the sort of thing one passes on the first try. That said, I'm not looking forward to retaking it in July! It's usually tougher?? Blech.

This was my second time around. I took the first one in July and got 58% on it by cramming for one day. I got killed on the reading then. This time around I didn't even study a single word, but definitely feel like I did better. My problem is the whole studying thing, I know that if I just spent a month or so studying the grammar and readings, I'd destroy it... But alas, I just can't get off my ass and pick up a book.

Alphabet
December 8th, 2009, 18:35

Ugh, I can't stand to look at it yet. Maybe in a month I'll calculate what I think I got.

Coollead
December 8th, 2009, 19:12
Did you do any of the CLAIR course from last year, even if very cursory?
Nope. The books piled up, but I never read them.

I assume that word was in them?

kamukamuume
February 2nd, 2010, 21:00
oh crud, I heard the results from December are out. has anyone gotten the news yet? I'm hoping to get mine tomorrow.

vertigo_stick
February 2nd, 2010, 21:19
Such a tease, kingmongkut.

gypsy85
February 2nd, 2010, 23:25
Yes, they're out! I got mine today, just barely passed! I live pretty close to Tokyo though, so it might be a day or two yet if you're further away.

UPGRAYEDD
February 2nd, 2010, 23:42
f, realz?

miks
February 3rd, 2010, 05:46
TOTALLY PASSED 1 KYUU

74 97 135 306 Pass

first time to ever take the JLPT test officially
(although unofficially, I've taken +15 practice tests)

vertigo_stick
February 3rd, 2010, 07:32
TOTALLY PASSED 1 KYUU

74 97 135 306 Pass

first time to ever take the JLPT test officially
(although unofficially, I've taken +15 practice tests)

hey CONGRATS! And with 6 points to spare!

kamukamuume
February 3rd, 2010, 07:34
hey CONGRATS! And with 6 points to spare!

I think 300 points would have been 75%, so he had considerably more than that! good job to both of you!

man, i really hope I get my results today.

UPGRAYEDD
February 3rd, 2010, 07:39
man I'm going to be all antsy at work today

Alphabet
February 3rd, 2010, 09:37
Ugh. I hope they get to Kyushu today.

UPGRAYEDD
February 3rd, 2010, 09:41
They should. The planes and trucks move overnight.

Alphabet
February 3rd, 2010, 09:45
So I guess I will just be killing time until the mail comes.

UPGRAYEDD
February 3rd, 2010, 09:48
Join the club.....it'll totally suck if it doesn't come today :(

Alphabet
February 3rd, 2010, 10:09
I think there are two mail drops at my school, one at 10 and one at 2. So I have to wait for both.

Sigh.

kamukamuume
February 3rd, 2010, 10:10
I think there are two mail drops at my school, one at 10 and one at 2. So I have to wait for both.

Sigh.

well, I'm assuming if it comes in the 10 o'clock drop, you could stop waiting. am I missing something here?

Alphabet
February 3rd, 2010, 10:38
well, I'm assuming if it comes in the 10 o'clock drop, you could stop waiting. am I missing something here?

No, you're right.

But the OL hasn't shown up yet at my desk, so looks like I am waiting a little more.

kamukamuume
February 3rd, 2010, 10:46
reception complete.

I just barely got 80%. w00000t!!

Alphabet
February 3rd, 2010, 11:00
Awesome! What level?

elleohelle
February 3rd, 2010, 11:08
Passed. My self-respect is in tact.

Alphabet
February 3rd, 2010, 12:27
Just got mine! I passed level three. I'm so happy!

Gezora
February 3rd, 2010, 14:57
I told them to send it to my house, so I ain't got it yet. I'll be happy if I passed, but not surprised if I didn't pass considering the amount of time and effort I put into studying. Life is too crazy now, yo.

kawaii_candie
February 3rd, 2010, 15:05
i passed too. but unlike all you smart folks, i was only doing 4kyuu. :lol:

aiming for level 3 next year... or new 4? i dunno how that's gonna work...

vertigo_stick
February 3rd, 2010, 16:27
I passed level 2!

My only complaint is that I only did just as well on it as expected, not better than I expected.

kamukamuume
February 3rd, 2010, 16:29
Awesome! What level?

level one. I completely blew the doors off of reading/grammar, which is conveniently what I studied the most. if I give it another shot to give a higher score, I'll need to do a lot of listening practice...

cm2jr4
February 3rd, 2010, 16:38
passed 3

UPGRAYEDD
February 3rd, 2010, 16:46
My results didn't come yet.

:|

cranguy
February 3rd, 2010, 17:25
Apparently at 3:39 PM today, they posted the JLPT results from Washington DC online but then at 5:16 they retracted them. Grrr! :mad: I got an email at 5:16 that says "Due to technical difficulties, we need to temporarily suspend the display of all 2009 Japanese Language Proficiency Test results in My Account." And no I didn't get a chance to see mine within that one-hour period.

Grrrr! Is there a stabby smiley on here?

stufflikethat
February 3rd, 2010, 18:02
Guess I'll be the first to post bad news: I failed :(

I'm not too bummed out about it. I know I'll pass next year.

UPGRAYEDD
February 3rd, 2010, 18:12
What why did you get yours and not me?

Jcubed
February 3rd, 2010, 18:17
I passed 1kyuu. I'm glad I managed to do it in my last year as an ALT as it should help at least a bit for finding translation work come August.

Alphabet
February 3rd, 2010, 19:11
What why did you get yours and not me?

Did you get it mailed to your house or school? I got it mailed to my school. I live in Kyushu, but I'm in a city, so maybe if you're in the inaka it might take a little longer.

hige
February 3rd, 2010, 23:06
my friends on my island got theirs today but i didn't get mine. What gives...then again i live closer to taiwan than mainland...still though. why no love for me?

punksakura
February 4th, 2010, 10:01
got mine in the mail yesterday...i passed 1 kyuu!
glad i passed before the new system came into place because N1 is supposed to be harder, and i was freaking out about that. plus, i'm on my 2nd and final year as a JET, so now i have another thing to put on my rirekisho for job searching. yay! congrats to everyone who passed too!

kamukamuume
February 4th, 2010, 10:11
for all you 1kyu humans, how did you do on each section? I got 166 on reading/grammar, which I'm pretty thrilled with.

I only got 77 on listening, though, and I thought that'd be my strongest section. :|

Jcubed
February 4th, 2010, 12:55
glad i passed before the new system came into place because N1 is supposed to be harder, and i was freaking out about that.

Actually the stated goal is that N1 will be able to test higher level skills but the passing line is to remain the same. In other words, it should be just as easy to squeak by with a 70% but getting a 90%+ will become more difficult.

kingmongkut, I found the reading/grammar easier than the few practice tests I took but the listening harder. I got 80 on the listening and 142 on the reading/grammar.

Hyakuman
February 4th, 2010, 14:24
LOL, I failed 1kyu again (attaining pretty much the exact same mark I got last time). No matter now though, I scored a sweet new job with my 実力 in Tokyo and that's that. :)

krazie85
February 4th, 2010, 17:28
passed 1kyu. For those looking for motivation: I passed after 15 months of study starting with only hiragana and very basic grammar.

Writing/Vocab 71/100
Listening 83/100
Reading/Grammar 174/200
Total 328/400

Hyakuman - what kind of job did you get? I am looking for jobs in Tokyo as well and any advice would be appreciated.

Hyakuman
February 4th, 2010, 17:48
Hyakuman - what kind of job did you get? I am looking for jobs in Tokyo as well and any advice would be appreciated.

A job with a market research agency in Tokyo.

Simply put, JLPT1 won't count for anything in Japan if your speech ability isn't there. Rules for interviews and making your resume desirable are pretty much identical as back home, however you need to research how to and make up a proper 履歴書 and 職務経歴書 to get noticed.

UPGRAYEDD
February 4th, 2010, 20:44
Still waiting on the result

:cool: