PDA

View Full Version : Kyoto

Rin
December 4th, 2008, 13:48
Are there any decent jobs to be had in Kyoto? I'm hoping for something along the lines of structured English lessons, not just conversation schools, maybe like Berlitz, or something.

jonesinjapan
December 4th, 2008, 16:07
http://www.gaijinpot.com/job_search.php?PHPSESSID=a52457ddd8d32a1557d87d63c74ce993&cat=&position_type=&full_part=&location=26&selang=all&keyword=keyword&jid=job+id&action=search

dombay
December 8th, 2008, 23:11
I have nightmares about GP.

puma
December 8th, 2008, 23:19
I have nightmares about GP.

Why? If you sort through the massive amounts of bullshit (albeit incredibly humorously witty), there is a tremendous wealth of information to be had there--much more than anyone living in the five year JET bubble of ignorant bliss can provide.

I used to lurk there, then I got tired of the crap, and in the past year and a half I've gone back, realizing that the site is probably the single most powerful tool one can have when it comes to learning how to do Japan long-term.

Lots of wisdom there from long-timers who've been there over twenty years and who have been through it all and seen it all.

AndrewR
December 8th, 2008, 23:51
I'm very happy for you, why dont you fuck off there for good

wicket
December 8th, 2008, 23:52
what he said

puma
December 9th, 2008, 08:44
since when have you got such a stick up your ass wicket?

Timoshi
December 9th, 2008, 09:33
I like this new wicket

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6378557,00.jpg

I don't like the shadow treasurer though...

dombay
December 9th, 2008, 22:20
What's Wicket got to do with Julie Bishop!? If I was her I'd be off to Ishikawa to kick your arse Timothy.

GP I don't like. I think that being an ALT has a use-by date at least for me. I know some people who are perfectly happy and have set themselves up for the long term in Japan and that's fine - but I find a website, or a bar, or a city (let's face it, Osaka) full of them to be a bit ... hard to take.

I'm sure that there's lots of information there. But there's also lots of bullshit, weird arse moderators that go round banning people for no reason, too complex, etc.

ITIL has lots of information that is easier to find and BD has more information in some respects that is harder to find but on the whole I find GP best avoided.

puma
December 9th, 2008, 22:47
What's Wicket got to do with Julie Bishop!? If I was her I'd be off to Ishikawa to kick your arse Timothy.

GP I don't like. I think that being an ALT has a use-by date at least for me. I know some people who are perfectly happy and have set themselves up for the long term in Japan and that's fine - but I find a website, or a bar, or a city (let's face it, Osaka) full of them to be a bit ... hard to take.

I'm sure that there's lots of information there. But there's also lots of bullshit, weird arse moderators that go round banning people for no reason, too complex, etc.

ITIL has lots of information that is easier to find and BD has more information in some respects that is harder to find but on the whole I find GP best avoided.

Agreed, at least in the respect of ALT work having a definite use-by date. Anyone doing ALT work for over twenty years...well...yeah. I was more referring to the ability to get any type of realistic and accurate advice for long timers or from long timers about legal issues pertaining to relationships/marriages, visa issues, employer contracts and labor laws, transportation information, etc. Things like that, everyday stuff that gaijin living here long-term must all deal with at some point or another.

Timoshi
December 10th, 2008, 07:31

If anything I was accusing Puma of being Julie Bishop, accusing Wicket, Julia Gillard, of being catty.

puma
December 10th, 2008, 09:16
ehh, nonetheless wicket must really be on the rag bad this month

dombay
December 10th, 2008, 09:22
I like gillard. I reckon in a one on one fight she'd probably kick my arse. I think I like her even more for that.

Timoshi
December 10th, 2008, 10:34
Did you know she married a hairdresser?

It must have been a business decision...

dombay
December 10th, 2008, 13:12
I thought she was a dyke?

Nathan Rees got married too. I think it keeps the crazy Christian votes coming.

Timoshi
December 10th, 2008, 13:38
Penny Wong is the bean-flicker.

dombay
December 10th, 2008, 14:32
Yes I knew that but I suspect there is more ...

Timoshi
December 10th, 2008, 15:22
Well I dunno how many straight male hairdresser there are out there...

It could just be for show, I guess.

mteacher80
December 11th, 2008, 17:38
there are 100s of private highschools in kyoto that hire alts direct, you just have to look around, also interac has positions in kyoto city.

dombay
December 11th, 2008, 23:12
Don't do it Rin! Kyoto is where other gaijin COME from.

And you cannot even make snarky JET superiority comment remarks if you do that!!

Wouldn't you rather waking up to the sounds of mooing cows, rice fields and old ladies in some mountain town in the middle of BFI?

Ini
December 11th, 2008, 23:18
your old ladies moo? What the hell are you feeding them over there?

dombay
December 11th, 2008, 23:22
Grass. They pour hot water over it and sit seiza for a few hours to savour it.