PDA

View Full Version : So how do you think you went?

staroverfuji
December 7th, 2008, 16:40
So how are we all feeling after todays crazy madness? Did anyone see someone get a red card? Any crazy stories to impart? :p_cube:

More importantly, who is crazy enough to do it all again next year?

AndrewR
December 7th, 2008, 20:24
no red cards but kashima lifted the trophy after beating sapporo. I'll probably watch next season, dont know why you would think thats crazy.

dombay
December 7th, 2008, 20:31
2q was hard. I did ok I think in sections one and three but was completely violated by the listening somehow. Oh well.

And yea we had a few cardings. We had this one proctor who was clearly enjoying carding everyone in sight. Only one person booted though.

Sheepy
December 7th, 2008, 20:32
I passed it pretty easily if you don't count all the grammar questions I guessed. I think I pretty much got full marks on the kanji bits.

ENAY
December 7th, 2008, 20:50
SHIT SHIT and SHIT. The listening test this time seemed a lot more confusing than normal. If I have passed, it will be a miracle. My test site was like nearly 2 hours away by 2 trains and a bus route. Plus it seemed like bloody forever waiting for the tests to start and end. The last paper, there was like some person going on about who hated and liked who. I just can't seem to grasp those sort of concepts in Japanese. So even when I can read, and also the Kanji, I suck still. Can't believe I spent early 8000yen and a waste of a day on failing this test. Ah well, same time next year! :) Or in this case next June I think! I guess next time I should study

Yeti99
December 7th, 2008, 22:56
I was going for 3q, and I don't think it went very well. If I do pass, it'll be by the skin of my teeth. We had two yellow cards, but no one thrown out.

Here's my random, Japanese/foreigners conspiracy theory of the week: The two people who got yellow cards were either Chinese or Korean. The white folks were breaking some rules, but got a pass. The Russian chick sitting in front of me had her gaijin card on the table the whole time, and had an clock that made ticking noises. The horror!:o
She was a blond hair, blue eyed, kawaii gaijin that didn't hear the announcements to put the card away, and not to have anything that makes a noise. However, if a Chinese/Korean/south east Asian opens the test book before the recording says so, YELLOW CARD.

I know, paranoid and I'm digging too deeply, but these were the thoughts that crossed my mind as we waited 15 min. for the test to start while the proctors were standing in front of the room staring at us, mumbling quietly to themselves.

Only one person booted though.

How did it go down? Two yellow cards? Or a an awkward, scene causing RED CARD?

mattyjaddy
December 8th, 2008, 00:52
yeah... what's with the whole taking almost an entire day taking this test when it could be done in the morning.... do we really need a 40 minute break between sections!?

I think I might have been yellow carded... but I don't know. I didn't look up. But we were waiting to start again. It was after a call to turn of cell phones and I was thinking about the grammar stuff.. and I thought, oh wait, what was that... and so I got out my packet to look it up. I was looking it up for a couple minutes and just kept reading and then she made an announcement. But I wasn't really listening. No one booted. But definitely a Chinese guy flipping through his test books like he was tachiyomiing or whatever.

As for the question at hand.... um.. pass or fail.. could be either. More likely fail. My highest practice test was 60 percent. Meaning my range is like 50-60. So I have a 1/10 chance of passing maybe.

kanji/vocab... harder than the practices.
listening.. completely new to me, pictures harder than no pictures
reading/grammar... first story harder than usual but in general easier than practices... especially grammar. Guessed on the last 5 readings.

; /

Gusuke
December 8th, 2008, 07:41
I was going for 3q, and I don't think it went very well. If I do pass, it'll be by the skin of my teeth. We had two yellow cards, but no one thrown out.

Here's my random, Japanese/foreigners conspiracy theory of the week: The two people who got yellow cards were either Chinese or Korean. The white folks were breaking some rules, but got a pass. The Russian chick sitting in front of me had her gaijin card on the table the whole time, and had an clock that made ticking noises. The horror!:o
She was a blond hair, blue eyed, kawaii gaijin that didn't hear the announcements to put the card away, and not to have anything that makes a noise. However, if a Chinese/Korean/south east Asian opens the test book before the recording says so, YELLOW CARD.

I know, paranoid and I'm digging too deeply, but these were the thoughts that crossed my mind as we waited 15 min. for the test to start while the proctors were standing in front of the room staring at us, mumbling quietly to themselves.

How did it go down? Two yellow cards? Or a an awkward, scene causing RED CARD?

I think it's probably because, or at least in the US, that Chinese exchange students are really terrible when it comes to cheating and plagiarism. My friend who majored in electrical engineering had some choice stories of the international students in his class, and how his professor loved to fail them out of the class.

2kyu was kind of tough, I should of studied more but oh well, what can you do? If I fail it, no big deal since I'm going to retake it in July. I look at myself taking it this year as more of a dry run, than anything else to see what's expected to be on the test.

I did get a hoot out of being one of the only two non-asians in the room sitting on the exam!

I also agree with the long breaks! I wanted to get it over with ASAP and get my ass home but no, we had those really long breaks. :rolleyes:

Timoshi
December 8th, 2008, 08:36
It's all a matter of perspective though. If you're allowed to get one yellow card, why not make use of it and cheat a little?

I didn't, but I can see the logic in it, if you're really slow.

Lua
December 8th, 2008, 08:48
What are those yellow and red cards you guys keep talking about? I never saw anything like that today...

oh man yeah...seriously i don't know if it was because I was in a stressful environment, but I think that my lvl3 test was WAY harder than previous years tests...esp the last reading...

ugh...I think I did pass...but it wasn't by a whole lot. is there a place online where we can check our scores before they mail it to us?

Timoshi
December 8th, 2008, 09:24
Maybe it's just a Japan thing then.

Yeti99
December 8th, 2008, 09:38
What are those yellow and red cards you guys keep talking about? I never saw anything like that today...

Think of a soccer game. A little violation (like opening your test too soon) is a yellow card, and a big violation (like looking at someone else's test) is a red card. Two yellows = a red.

Maybe it's just a Japan thing then.

Absolutely. I never heard of such a thing back home, even for big tests like the SAT's and such.

Lua
December 8th, 2008, 10:38
aWWwww why do we have to wait until FEBRUARY to find out our scores?! seriously- how long does it take for a computer to correct a bunch of scantron sheets??

keekers
December 8th, 2008, 11:33
I don't really know how I did. I didn't do terrible, but I'm not super confident that I passed either. I'm just waiting for some of those Chinese cheaters to put the answers up on the Internet.

Timoshi
December 8th, 2008, 13:12
Japanistan already has it, courtesy of mie jets, courtesy the Chinese cheaters.

AliDimayev
December 8th, 2008, 13:15
Chinese cheaters?

Yeti99
December 8th, 2008, 13:27
Chinese cheaters?

http://www.mastersgames.com/images/board/chinese-checkers-hexagonal.jpg

Marrissey
December 8th, 2008, 14:50
Everyone in my test room was immenseley stupid. I spotted at least 5 people I would have booted, not that it would have mattered because they clearly didn't understand Japanese well enough to follow the instructions, but the invidulators were less than useless.

One particular clown actually picked up his answer sheet, pointed to one of the answers and started audibly talking to another guy about it. Level 4 - joke test! The same comedy chap got yellow carded later for writing after being told to stop (fair do's) but when the invidulator showed him the yellow card he started asking about one of the questions and then continued to write stuff down.

AliDimayev
December 8th, 2008, 14:52
What is allt he confusion. NO one has taken a test before or can follow simple instructions?

keekers
December 8th, 2008, 14:56
Japanistan already has it, courtesy of mie jets, courtesy the Chinese cheaters.
Link please?

Timoshi
December 8th, 2008, 15:40
it's in the mie jets forum or on japanistan.com in the everything goes section.

AtomicYak
December 8th, 2008, 15:52
Has anyone been able to find a site that has the 1級 grammar QUESTIONS? I can't remember my answers without the questions. I was pretty much able to estimate the rest of my scores with those links (thanks Timoshii).

AtomicYak
December 8th, 2008, 16:19
Answered my own question:
http://jp.hjenglish.com/page/59684/?page=8

keekers
December 8th, 2008, 16:37
This thread from big daikon has links to questions and answers:
http://bigdaikon.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113167&sid=b0c4ea82d86975004f6a9d9f5a8c8851

Looks like I probably passed 1kyuu.

ENAY
December 8th, 2008, 19:12
I'd looking for 2kyuu papers on that web site but can't read Chinese :( It's kinda pointless me looking though in a way. I guessed so many answers I have no idea what answer I put. I copied a fair few answers off the guy next to me since he was exhibiting his score sheet up the air a lot of times. His answers were probably more correct than my guesses, probably anyway.

SSJup81
December 8th, 2008, 20:12
I did the level three test. I think I did terribly. Vocab was the most difficult, though, imo. I'm a bit confident with the grammar and the listening so-so, but, as I just said, Vocab was incredibly difficult for me.
aWWwww why do we have to wait until FEBRUARY to find out our scores?! seriously- how long does it take for a computer to correct a bunch of scantron sheets??February for you? The people giving the test for us, said we'll find out our scores in March.

Lua
December 9th, 2008, 04:00
February or march...either way it's a long time...

I'm having a hard time figuring out the scoring system: apparently for the reading/grammar section parts 1-3- each question is worth 2 points. for part IV its worth 3, and for the last 7 reading questions it's 4 points each.

now if i've done my math correctly, that adds up to 118 points in TOTAL for part 3- but why does it say on the front of the test that it's out of 200? how do they convert that?

also for the listening- i was really surprised with the scoring for that section- i'm not sure if i have this right, but
for the first part with the pictures- is each one worth 4 marks?

for the non-picture part- you have to pick 3 incorrect answers and 1 correct one, which makes a total of 4 marks for 1 question....but lets say you pick the wrong correct answer....does that mean you could still get 2 marks for an incorrect answer?

keekers
December 9th, 2008, 08:19
February or march...either way it's a long time...

I'm having a hard time figuring out the scoring system: apparently for the reading/grammar section parts 1-3- each question is worth 2 points. for part IV its worth 3, and for the last 7 reading questions it's 4 points each.

now if i've done my math correctly, that adds up to 118 points in TOTAL for part 3- but why does it say on the front of the test that it's out of 200? how do they convert that?

also for the listening- i was really surprised with the scoring for that section- i'm not sure if i have this right, but
for the first part with the pictures- is each one worth 4 marks?

for the non-picture part- you have to pick 3 incorrect answers and 1 correct one, which makes a total of 4 marks for 1 question....but lets say you pick the wrong correct answer....does that mean you could still get 2 marks for an incorrect answer?
For 4 kyuu and 3kyuu, I think the scoring is

1 point each kanji
2 points each vocab
1 point each listening
2 points grammar part I-III
3 points grammar part III
4 points reading questions

For 2kyuu and 1kyuu it is

1 point each kanji
2 points each vocab
1 point each listening
5 points each reading
2 points each grammar

The way you work out your score for the kanji/vocab and listening sections is you divide your score by the total points possible, and multiple that by 100. For grammar/reading, you divide your score by the total points possible, and multiply by 200.

The listening questions are only worth one point each. Even on the ones without pictures, you only get a point if you have the right answer. The wrong answers aren't worth anything.

staroverfuji
December 9th, 2008, 11:02
ok my funny story. Its freezing in the room and i slip on some fingerless gloves to stop my hands getting cold. Its all good until the reading section when suddenly one of the examanator crows flies up to me, babels fast and then steals my gloves... i never get them back.

these are lace gloves, see though and fingerless and she took them!
must have liked my fashion sense.

dorovar
December 9th, 2008, 11:20
Took 3-kyuu. Although the listening and reading sections have not been posted by the Chinese yet, I already passed based on 文字・語彙 and 文法.
As of right now, a 258, and that's before listening and reading!
Already passed, woo!

Oneiro
December 9th, 2008, 11:22
I probably failed. Not really worried though since I retake 2kyuu in March and I know my Japanese is, in practice, nowhere near the level it should be. What I keep telling myself is that I just got here four months ago, so I can afford to screw up a little.

dorovar
December 9th, 2008, 11:36
March? Isn't it July?

keekers
December 9th, 2008, 12:24
March? Isn't it July?
Yes, it is.

katsudon
December 9th, 2008, 14:55
I may have passed 2-kyuu, the kanji/vocab and listening was just a breeeeze.

Unfortunately, the reading/grammar section was TOTAL HELL and probably prevents me from passing.

Oneiro
December 9th, 2008, 15:11
March? Isn't it July?

Yes. My bad. I dunno what came over me. :redface:

dorovar
December 9th, 2008, 15:30
Haha, you scared me there for a second!

Lua
December 10th, 2008, 04:55
listening was SO difficult for me. I already suck at it, but I was so distracted while I was listening to the recording!!! There was this REALLY hot japanese guy (you know...tall...skinny....amazing lips and cheekbones...) who was helping administer the test, and my eyes kept involuntarily wandering over to him as i was listening to the recording. I blame him for at least 20% of the marks I lost on listening!! seriously!!

even during the breaks, girls were running off getting food for him...it was funny...

Gusuke
December 10th, 2008, 09:13
I probably failed. Not really worried though since I retake 2kyuu in March and I know my Japanese is, in practice, nowhere near the level it should be. What I keep telling myself is that I just got here four months ago, so I can afford to screw up a little.

Agreed; If I fail it's not a big deal. I've already started studying and reviewing for the test next year and I know if I have to retake at least I know what it's like.

SSJup81
December 10th, 2008, 10:08
listening was SO difficult for me. I already suck at it, but I was so distracted while I was listening to the recording!!! There was this REALLY hot japanese guy (you know...tall...skinny....amazing lips and cheekbones...) who was helping administer the test, and my eyes kept involuntarily wandering over to him as i was listening to the recording. I blame him for at least 20% of the marks I lost on listening!! seriously!!

even during the breaks, girls were running off getting food for him...it was funny...lol There was a guy actually taking the test with me who was beside me who distracted me. He was just too cute! I just wanted to hug him and give him a random kiss! :lol:

katsudon
December 11th, 2008, 09:27
I can't believe you guys were distracted by the proctors/test takers. You gotta throw all that out at test time, be IN THE ZONE. The only thing that distracted me was when my proctors were absolute idiots and replayed some listening questions because they thought the CD was broken.

Also, the shuffle-paper-athon during the grammar/reading section bugged me. Severely.

AtomicYak
December 11th, 2008, 10:49
Took 3-kyuu. Although the listening and reading sections have not been posted by the Chinese yet, I already passed based on 文字・語彙 and 文法.
As of right now, a 258, and that's before listening and reading!
Already passed, woo!

That's a 129% on Grammar and Vocab. Impressive. Really impressive.

SSJup81
December 11th, 2008, 11:29
I can't believe you guys were distracted by the proctors/test takers. You gotta throw all that out at test time, be IN THE ZONE. The only thing that distracted me was when my proctors were absolute idiots and replayed some listening questions because they thought the CD was broken.I got "in the zone" when the test actually started. Too focused on that to focus on the guy beside me. Now, breaks between the test sections is a whole different story.:D