PDA

View Full Version : JLPT Book

Gezora
December 9th, 2008, 11:49
Sorry for the dumb question. I'm trying to find a JLPT book I can get easily through Amazon. I've seen this one on a few other sites but it's been sold out. Is this going to be in English or even be of any help to me?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%90%88%E6%A0%BC%E3%81%A7%E3%81%8D%E3%82%8B3%E3%83%BB4%E7%B4%9A%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E%E8%83%BD%E5%8A%9B%E8%A9%A6%E9%A8%93-%E6%9D%BE%E6%9C%AC-%E9%9A%86/dp/4757410034/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228789734&sr=1-8

keekers
December 9th, 2008, 12:18
I have the 2kyuu and 1kyuu version of that book. It's pretty much just practice tests, with very few tips on how to study for and pass the test. I would recommend getting study books from either the Kanzen Master or Unicom JLPT prep course series, and using that book as a supplement.

And no, that book won't be in English. Few JLPT books are since they are all published in Japan. If you want English explanations, I think Unicom and maybe Kanzen Master have English translations for the lower levels. There's also "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" that has really thorough grammar explanations in English.

dorovar
December 9th, 2008, 14:52
I don't know about that book in particular, but listen to keekers. The "Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" is ESSENTIAL. Hell, grab the whole series!

If you're going for 4-kyuu, the purple Unicom book is probably one of the best ones to get for that test.

If you're going for 3-kyuu, I highly recommend getting the red Kanzen Master book first, then going on to the two Unicom books (one for grammar and one for listening). The Unicom books are entirely in Japanese, but the Japanese is very simple. Also, there are several grammar points in the Unicom grammar book that aren't in the Kanzen Master one, especially when it comes to adverbs. Take some practice tests and you should be good to go!

Russell123
May 6th, 2010, 14:57
yes i think that its a good book

wicket
May 6th, 2010, 18:07
there are english versions of the unicom books available, even for levels 1 and 2, or at least there used to be before the new system came in. be aware that while level 4 only has one book [IIRC] the higher levels have separate books for the different sections of the test.
the unicom books were the single biggest help to me. them, and kanji kakitori-kun for the ds.

I Am Quailman
May 10th, 2010, 11:57
Hey guys what about the N2 levels? Has Kanzen master or Unicom released any new materials geared towards the test? Should I just study the old Kanzen master 2-kyuu book?

UPGRAYEDD
May 10th, 2010, 12:16
Hey guys what about the N2 levels? Has Kanzen master or Unicom released any new materials geared towards the test? Should I just study the old Kanzen master 2-kyuu book?

The JLPT's official line is that they will not be releasing any detailed guidlines for the new levels. So no word lists, grammar point lists, or kanji lists of any kind.

But they have said that the levels are mostly the same. So the book companies took that and ran with it updating their books with a new N2 tag on it to sell more copies.

I Am Quailman
May 10th, 2010, 13:21
that's what I figured. I read somewhere that N2 = old 2-kyuu

keekers
May 11th, 2010, 10:59
The JLPT's official line is that they will not be releasing any detailed guidlines for the new levels. So no word lists, grammar point lists, or kanji lists of any kind.

But they have said that the levels are mostly the same. So the book companies took that and ran with it updating their books with a new N2 tag on it to sell more copies.
Maybe the material covered is about the same, but the question format is slightly different it seems.

I got a set of books called 日本語総まとめ. There is a book for grammar/reading, vocab, and kanji, and they have a set for N1-N3. Everything is translated into English, Chinese, and Korean as well. I am studying for N1 and other than some strange English translations, I like the books so far. I like how in the vocabulary book, it's not just a list of words, but there are a lot of short examples to show how the words are used.

I Am Quailman
May 12th, 2010, 10:19
I have a good grammar dictionary that designates for 1, 2, 3, 4級...

どんな時どう使う日本語表現文型辞典... it's pretty good... Grammar points, 3-4 example sentences, Japanese, Chinese, English, Korean explanations...

keekers
May 12th, 2010, 13:46
I have a good grammar dictionary that designates for 1, 2, 3, 4級...

どんな時どう使う日本語表現文型辞典... it's pretty good... Grammar points, 3-4 example sentences, Japanese, Chinese, English, Korean explanations...
Yes, I like this one too.