PDA

View Full Version : International MBA programs

Happyscrappy
December 15th, 2008, 15:26
I've got almost a year before I'll be applying for a program, but I'm giving a lot of thought to getting an MBA with an international focus (I'll get the MBA at an American school, but may do study abroad / an internship in an Asian country). I've only seen this option for less-prestigious universities like U Memphis, not universities in BW's top 30; I haven't looked at all of them yet, just the ones that I'm especially interested in.

How have you or will you folks in the Asia-related business track do it? Get a regular MBA and just use those credentials here? I guess JET would count for some pretty good international experience (though admittedly it's not business experience...).

mteacher80
December 17th, 2008, 13:56
I know it is not exactly what you are looking for, but it may give you or some one else somethign to think about....and also i didnt know where else to post it...

http://www.iuj.ac.jp/

Happyscrappy
December 18th, 2008, 14:58
Thanks Mark - I actually had looked at that before, and according to [Asian rankings that I've never heard of before finding online...so who knows about their reliability], it was considered a top-ten IMBA program in Asia. I'll have to investigate further.

One thing I'm thinking of doing is just getting in touch with a few corps in Japan, US and Japanese, and simply asking what they're looking for, and ask if they've ever heard of X program. I imagine that will be a better indicator than anything else - but I want to know more about these programs before I waste their time/opinion of me.

UPGRAYEDD
December 18th, 2008, 16:21
Can you be more specific with your career plans?

My plan is to apply for the following;

1. University of Hawaii - Japan focus MBA
2. Hitosubashi University - Through the MEXT scholarship
3. Back up schools

Personally I want to have a Japan related career in the future where I can maximize my knowledge of Japanese and Japanese culture. Which is why I am looking at Hawaii's program and a Japanese university.

However, Japanese companies largely prefer American MBAs. But the mext scholarship and the free MBA it gives overrides that for me. But you should keep that in mind.