PDA

View Full Version : The axe coming down?



cvmurrieta
January 13th, 2009, 20:09
I had asked for my recontracting paper back last week because I wanted to reconsider my decision, which had been "yes". I had thought about it over the weekend and decided that I had not changed my mind. OK, now to get to the juicy details.

I go to hand in my paper and tell my supe that this is my final decision. He then invites me to go to the post office with him to pick up some things, and after that we sit in the lobby of the kencho and discuss the situation. He advises me to think about it a little longer because he thinks I will change my mind again. He then wonders if I'll be able to work another 18 months in the same office environment and get along with my co-workers. As a point of reference he brings up the bonenkai where I should slight annoyance with my co-workers' constant barrage of questions regarding my lack of a love life. After he heard my side of the story, he agreed that I had responded the correct way. We go back upstairs to the office and then hands the paper back to me. He instructs me to re-hand it in again on the 30th. Now I wonder if they don't intend to offer me another contract but just don't have the cojones to tell me.

I had been feeling quite crummy all day and cursing to myself for having to translate many documents at the last minute but never getting any love for it. Then, when I get home, I open an email from an educational company where my friend works. I guess it would be similar to a dispatch company. But the conditions are nearly identical to JET except with a few more incentives than JET. The problem is that if I am accepted for a position I'd have to break my contract, which I am not too sad about at this point.

My friend who teaches through this company is very pleased. I have known this friend since we both started teaching in Kansai in 1994. I know not to count my eggs before they hatch, but I wanted to get others opinions on this since I can't very well go to my boss. I'd be teaching kindergarteners. I have ample experience teaching them and have no qualms teaching them again. At least if I teach full-time again I'll know when my work day starts and stops rather than wondering if my CO is going to honor my contract that day.

Thanks for listening.

Tegan
January 13th, 2009, 20:17
I had asked for my recontracting paper back last week because I wanted to reconsider my decision, which had been "yes". I had thought about it over the weekend and decided that I had not changed my mind. OK, now to get to the juicy details.

I go to hand in my paper and tell my supe that this is my final decision. He then invites me to go to the post office with him to pick up some things, and after that we sit in the lobby of the kencho and discuss the situation. He advises me to think about it a little longer because he thinks I will change my mind again. He then wonders if I'll be able to work another 18 months in the same office environment and get along with my co-workers. As a point of reference he brings up the bonenkai where I should slight annoyance with my co-workers' constant barrage of questions regarding my lack of a love life. After he heard my side of the story, he agreed that I had responded the correct way. We go back upstairs to the office and then hands the paper back to me. He instructs me to re-hand it in again on the 30th. Now I wonder if they don't intend to offer me another contract but just don't have the cojones to tell me.

I had been feeling quite crummy all day and cursing to myself for having to translate many documents at the last minute but never getting any love for it. Then, when I get home, I open an email from an educational company where my friend works. I guess it would be similar to a dispatch company. But the conditions are nearly identical to JET except with a few more incentives than JET. The problem is that if I am accepted for a position I'd have to break my contract, which I am not too sad about at this point.

My friend who teaches through this company is very pleased. I have known this friend since we both started teaching in Kansai in 1994. I know not to count my eggs before they hatch, but I wanted to get others opinions on this since I can't very well go to my boss. I'd be teaching kindergarteners. I have ample experience teaching them and have no qualms teaching them again. At least if I teach full-time again I'll know when my work day starts and stops rather than wondering if my CO is going to honor my contract that day.

Thanks for listening.

wait, so you DO want to recontract but are now freaked that your CO doesn't want you anymore....but at the same time you are not exactly happy with your job and are thinking about blowing off JET for another job? did I get that right?
Do you really want this other job? Or is it just something to make you feel more secure...since your CO might not keep you?

cvmurrieta
January 13th, 2009, 21:02
wait, so you DO want to recontract but are now freaked that your CO doesn't want you anymore....but at the same time you are not exactly happy with your job and are thinking about blowing off JET for another job? did I get that right?
Do you really want this other job? Or is it just something to make you feel more secure...since your CO might not keep you?

I can see how this situation is confusing to others because it is also confusing to me. I didn't come on JET with the purpose of ditching it midway through. Although I am not happy with my current situation, I decided to recontract because I felt that I could get more translation experience. But that talk by my boss brought up the red flags. This kind of talk has happened to me all too often. Therefore, if my CO sticks it to me, I figure I might as well have a Plan B.

I will say that this other job is very appealing and I don't want it just to be secure. In my letters to my friends, I have been adding "Ideally" because I would like to see my contract through. I am just afraid that I won't be able to find work at the end of my contract if I am not recontracted. Hence, these scenarios that are going through my mind.

Yeti99
January 14th, 2009, 21:18
No offense man, but if you're confused about the situation, how do you think your sup. feels? If I was an employer, and an employee did the same thing, I would question their 1. reasons for re-contracting/not re-contracting/re-contracting, and 2. if you did re-contract, would you stay the whole time, or would you freak out and leave half-way through (as you've already thought about now)? I'm not saying stay or go, but man, if you're this confusing in English, I can imagine how it sounds in Japanese.

cvmurrieta
January 15th, 2009, 10:50
I've already made up mind: I am handing in the form with a "yes" response on January 30th.

End of discussion

jonesinjapan
January 15th, 2009, 11:02
Are you still going to apply to the other job though, I would hope so given the events thats took place

cvmurrieta
January 15th, 2009, 13:24
Are you still going to apply to the other job though, I would hope so given the events thats took place

But then if I do that I won't be near you, jonesy:D Not only that, then I won't be part of an organization where Ali is hit in the face by a lady's ass!:lol:

Damn! I just clicked on a link thinking it was Ali getting hit in the face by a lady's ass. Turns it is just someone saying "Marsh'Allah"

AliDimayev
January 15th, 2009, 14:50
Not, just someone. That is a very famous Chechen song, I'll post the whole thing (even if I will be the only one to listen to it, lol).

jonesinjapan
January 15th, 2009, 15:22
But then if I do that I won't be near you, jonesy:D Not only that, then I won't be part of an organization where Ali is hit in the face by a lady's ass!:lol:

Damn! I just clicked on a link thinking it was Ali getting hit in the face by a lady's ass. Turns it is just someone saying "Marsh'Allah"

LOL well if anything you can always crash at my place and be an illegal Alien for a while.

Also your ass better be at the ski trip at the end of Feb.

cvmurrieta
January 19th, 2009, 09:58
Well, even if my CO decides not to recontract me, I will look at Tokyo for translation work; other parts of Japan or Korea to teach English; or return to California.

I just realized that I will be able to go to my favorite Dodger Stadium again or have my pic taken by Clippers cheerleaders. Yes, these are things that 99.99% of Japanese will never experience (LOL)

jonesinjapan, rather than talk about MY ass, check Mya's ass in my avatar!

reed
January 20th, 2009, 16:14
Wow, CV, good luck!

While it's unkind of them to treat you as a flight risk now, it's not unfair. The act of taking back paperwork after signing is a lot bigger than delaying it or discussing alternatives in advance. But you did come back, and you're doing the right thing by explaining your choice and reasserting your commitment to the school.

I'd say your best shot right now at feeling better between now and the 30th, in addition to improving your standing with the CO, is to arrange some non-work face time with him -- I mean a real, honest-to-God buy-you-beers thing. Don't think of it as bribery, because it obviously is -- but it's also common courtesy, a show of gratitude and the extra step you just might need. He knows it's uncomfortable for you to ask, and that's a good thing. He'll be empowered if he does agree to join you, and get the message even if he turns you down. Just don't insult either of you by pretending it's for any other reason than to apologize for fucking up by asking for those papers. Don't be coy about it. Apologize directly, ask to buy him a drink or dinner. Tell him you're 100% dedicated. You know you've jeapordized your relationship, and that was never intended. A private weekend holding the papers only made you that much surer that you want the job -- but you tragically sent the opposite message. If you're in private, either for the talk or the dinner, don't feel bad about emoting a bit. It sounds sleazy but it's a sumimasen he will not ignore!

cvmurrieta
January 20th, 2009, 18:30
Wow, CV, good luck!

While it's unkind of them to treat you as a flight risk now, it's not unfair. The act of taking back paperwork after signing is a lot bigger than delaying it or discussing alternatives in advance. But you did come back, and you're doing the right thing by explaining your choice and reasserting your commitment to the school.

I'd say your best shot right now at feeling better between now and the 30th, in addition to improving your standing with the CO, is to arrange some non-work face time with him -- I mean a real, honest-to-God buy-you-beers thing. Don't think of it as bribery, because it obviously is -- but it's also common courtesy, a show of gratitude and the extra step you just might need. He knows it's uncomfortable for you to ask, and that's a good thing. He'll be empowered if he does agree to join you, and get the message even if he turns you down. Just don't insult either of you by pretending it's for any other reason than to apologize for fucking up by asking for those papers. Don't be coy about it. Apologize directly, ask to buy him a drink or dinner. Tell him you're 100% dedicated. You know you've jeapordized your relationship, and that was never intended. A private weekend holding the papers only made you that much surer that you want the job -- but you tragically sent the opposite message. If you're in private, either for the talk or the dinner, don't feel bad about emoting a bit. It sounds sleazy but it's a sumimasen he will not ignore!

I appreciate your taking the time to write this. My boss asked the higher ups about whether they will recontract me or not, and they said the answer is "No"

So I will be moving on at the end of my contract. It is probably for the best since I am unhappy most of the time at the prefectural office. I am just lazy when it comes to writing a Japanese resume. I know from several bilingual job sites that I will need a Japanese resume if I hope to get interviewed for translation jobs.

reed
January 21st, 2009, 06:35
I am very sorry. I've been in your place, and I empathize. What's especially arbitrary about their decision is that by insulating themselves from losing you in the future, they're firing you "three months in advance". You have little to gain by working every day until the end of your contract, now. You'll actually need to take several days off to take interviews with companies in other cities, on weekdays.

Damn.

cvmurrieta
January 21st, 2009, 10:10
I am very sorry. I've been in your place, and I empathize. What's especially arbitrary about their decision is that by insulating themselves from losing you in the future, they're firing you "three months in advance". You have little to gain by working every day until the end of your contract, now. You'll actually need to take several days off to take interviews with companies in other cities, on weekdays.

Damn.

Well, I was told all this before turning in my paper. So, because it is my right, I will stay answer "yes" even though I know they will say "no".

I plan to take as much nenkyuu as I can. In addition, some CIRs have mentioned that there are positions opening up in their city. I don't think I can transfer at this point, but I am going to ask anyway. What's the worst they can say? No?

I will attempt to honor my contract as best as I can, but in the end I am the only one responsible for my survival. If the worst they are going to do is not pay for plane ticket, I've got nothing to lose if I stay in Japan.

Thanks for your support!

jonesinjapan
January 21st, 2009, 14:29
CV NOOO!!!!!! How will I ever see your ass now!!! LOL

That sucks though man, I with you the best of luck on your future endevors. Is that job your friend was telling you about still available?

patjs
January 21st, 2009, 18:52
That's a crappy situation... I suppose it's too much to hope that they gave you a reason for saying no?

Hyakuman
January 22nd, 2009, 11:47
Well, I was told all this before turning in my paper. So, because it is my right, I will stay answer "yes" even though I know they will say "no".

I plan to take as much nenkyuu as I can. In addition, some CIRs have mentioned that there are positions opening up in their city. I don't think I can transfer at this point, but I am going to ask anyway. What's the worst they can say? No?

I will attempt to honor my contract as best as I can, but in the end I am the only one responsible for my survival. If the worst they are going to do is not pay for plane ticket, I've got nothing to lose if I stay in Japan.

Thanks for your support!

That's kinda shitty dude. For me, they were like "it would honor us to our sole's very being, and our forefathers of 17 generations to come if you would recontract" because they don't want a first year PA! :lol:

Although, after April things are going to pick up methinks. They're prolli giving me 担当 on a major field of work we do here, and possibly 副担当 on another even bigger project! And, I might even become the 情報化担当! :D

CV, how many other CIRs are there at the kencho? Are you PA?

cvmurrieta
January 23rd, 2009, 12:37
That's kinda shitty dude. For me, they were like "it would honor us to our sole's very being, and our forefathers of 17 generations to come if you would recontract" because they don't want a first year PA! :lol:

Although, after April things are going to pick up methinks. They're prolli giving me 担当 on a major field of work we do here, and possibly 副担当 on another even bigger project! And, I might even become the 情報化担当! :D

CV, how many other CIRs are there at the kencho? Are you PA?

There are only 3 of us at the kencho. The Italian one is not recontracting, and the CIR PA will be entering her 5th year. There are only a handful of other CIRs in the prefecture.

Hence, I am VERY perplexed unless they expect the CIR PA to handle all the translations as well as her own work:confused:

Marvellous Magician
January 30th, 2009, 23:43
http://www.direrealms.com/couragewolf.png

Wakatta
January 31st, 2009, 17:09
Although personally, I'm against ending the contract early with JET...if only because I cheer up inside everytime someone from Interac ditches (and the company takes a hit in its standing) and am a little sad everytime someone from JET does (because it might just make them say, "Eh, let's go private").

cvmurrieta
February 2nd, 2009, 10:13
Although personally, I'm against ending the contract early with JET...if only because I cheer up inside everytime someone from Interac ditches (and the company takes a hit in its standing) and am a little sad everytime someone from JET does (because it might just make them say, "Eh, let's go private").

Nah!!! I've decided against doing it. :) The company I was looking at told me to check back when my contract ends. If the place I was looking at said, "Hey! We are going to be paying you the equivalent of $100K annually, and you'll be living in Shibuya," then, yeah, I'd do it. But I am not hanging my hopes on that.

I look back at what has transpired and realize for the most part that I like teaching better than translating (even if this means I work in eikaiwa for the time being)