PDA

View Full Version : JJ's road to Grad School

jonesinjapan
January 16th, 2009, 09:28
This is going to be blogish, but I hope informative to those who are planning on going to Grad school after JET or applying to Grad school and JET.

Before coming to Japan I applied to three different Grad Schools for Student Affairs and Higher Education, and was turned down by 2 of them, I was accepted into the third one but they did not have a deferment option so I decided that JET would be a good step for me and I am happy I stuck with that decision.

But anyway I have started on the search for Grad school and throughout my vacation until yesterday I have looked at different schools to see what they have to offer.

I have chosen 6 schools to apply for:
Suny Buffalo*
Miami University*
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Buffalo State College
University of Toledo
Indiana University*

(*= the colleges I really wish to attend)

My College history is some what weak:
B.A. of Culinary Art and Hotel Management 2.96 GPA

But I have worked in Student Affairs for more than half my time in College and even assisted in creating a Multi Cultural department in my school, one of the co-founders of the Alliance group in the school and even worked as an RA while there.

I have already set up on going emails to my Letter of Rec people and have already been told they will write me one.

I am currently working on my Statement of Intent and revising my Resume which I will either post or send a link to it.

I will tell you all how it goes when something interesting happens or if you want me to stop I will simple delete the thread.

Wish me luck!

AliDimayev
January 16th, 2009, 14:44
Sounds good.

What did you do in your freetime in college? HOtel Management is not the hardest of majors, or so I was lead to believe.....

Sometimes I think I wasted my time. But I do have a job waiting....but was it really worth it????

UPGRAYEDD
January 18th, 2009, 23:48
Hows your GRE score with that GPA?

AliDimayev
January 19th, 2009, 07:55
When I said wasted my time, I mean wasted so much studyihng. Everyday after class (except friday) I was straight to the lab or library for hours on end to study. Puma, a fellow ChemE, will agree. It was tough.

puma
January 19th, 2009, 13:13
it was beyond tough...hell even for me in senior year with unit ops lab, every other week friday and saturday night were flushed down the toilet; not by choice, but because if we didnt flush every other friday and saturday down the toilet, there was no way our reports would be even remotely close to done by the following friday when they were do, and even at that we were usually rushing to sign off on all 120 pages five minutes before lab started

i never got to enjoy college, i feel ripped

AliDimayev
January 19th, 2009, 13:33
On many weekdays my only time of joy was playing one game of Warcraft 3 with my roommate before we went to bed (those games only take on average 25-30 minutes). Boy, am I glad college is over with.

jonesinjapan
January 20th, 2009, 08:36
Sorry for the delay, I rarely go on the Forums during the weekend and mondays.

But to answer your questions,
Ali: The degree itself wasn't difficult, but at the same time I did not have alot of free time. I had 12-hour labs twice a week where we ran a restaurant for the school during these classes we would, each week play the role of the manager and handle any problems that would arise that evening during dinner.
As with every bachelors in my school you had to do a capstone project and instead of it being about something simple in the culinary community, I decided to make it a little more out there and wrote my bachelors paper on the Quality of Nutrition and food related illnesses in the Inner cities.

But outside of classes, I was a Resident Assistant (RA) for 3 years and a Senior Resident Assistant for 1. I also worked as an english tutor for freshman students and worked alot with the Student Affairs Department in the school, mainly helping them create a Multicultural Affairs department in the school and starting the first LGBT group in the school. Whatever actual free time I had, I worked on stuff for the school.

Unfortunatly I would not have a job waiting for me when I get back though I was told if I want to be a culinary instructor at the Vo-tech I did my internships on, I might be able to.

Upgrayedd: I have not taken my GREs yet, I plan on taking them in Tokyo during the spring, I have been studying which is tough when im doing that and Japanese, but I trying.

Ali (Again): I wish I did enough studying to bring myself to atleast a 3.2, I hate the fact that I was so close and feel like a failure because its not that perfect 3.0 but I am hoping I will be able to get through with my GREs to help.

Puma: I also had times when I would be sitting in the computer lab preparing the nights when we were expecting atleast 100 people, I know its nothing like Chemistry but it was still alot of hard work. We didnt just have cooking classes, since it also taught us about business, we had business ethics, law, and even economics classes granted they were low level classes but they were a pain in the ass none the less.

dombay
January 21st, 2009, 09:44
Wow. Americans applying to be postgraduates is pretty intense then. Where I'm from you just go and become a postgrad. No worries. No stress. We have people here completely withdrawing from life because they're 'applying for grad school next year'.

jonesinjapan
January 21st, 2009, 11:44
Yeah it does suck :( But if I want to get to where I want to go in life, my masters is needed, and maybe even my PhD if need be.

I always wondered what it is like to apply to grad school in other countries, I mean after talking to friends in Japan many people dont even go to grad school because it normally doesnt effect the money they make. But in the States I think it places a pretty big part.