From the Kanzen Master green book(AKA doomy death hate book), #56

~かけだ/~かけの/~かける

Meaning: ~し始めて、まだ~終わっていない途中(とちゅう)の状態(じょうたい)を表す(あらわす)。

Example sentences:

この仕事はやりかけですから、そのままにしておいてください。

テーブルの上に飲みかけのコーヒーがおいてある。

何か言いかけてやめるのはよくない。

私は子供のころ、病気で死にかけたことがあるそうだ。

PLEASE HELP....there is no explanation in either my dictionary of intermediate or dictionary of advanced grammar.

I will do my best to answer any questions people have.

ampersand
January 27th, 2009, 11:12
The explanation seems pretty straightforward: "It expresses the condition of having started or not yet being done."

Wakatta
January 27th, 2009, 14:44
(Pardon the momentary hijack.)

Hmm. 子供ころ? Is that the same basically as 子供のとき? Is the latter even valid? Kind of the childhood vs. "when I was little" distinction?

So like...子供ころ、背が高くなるかけでした。 (In my childhood, I had only started to get tall.)

katsudon
January 27th, 2009, 15:07
Wakatta - I'd say that's right. They are subtley different. koro is less distinct, more approximate. toki seems more like a set time.

Also I'm feeling very dense. Even though there is the explanation and I get that in theory, I'm having trouble understanding the sentences. Can one of you translate them for me? ;_;

ampersand
January 27th, 2009, 15:46
この仕事はやりかけですから、そのままにしておいてください。
"I've [already] started this work, so please leave it where it is/as is."

テーブルの上に飲みかけのコーヒーがおいてある。 "Someone put the coffee I was drinking [had begun drinking/was not done drinking] on the table."

何か言いかけてやめるのはよくない。 "Stopping something that you've begun to say isn't good." I know that's not very natural English, but I wanted to keep it somewhat close to how the Japanese works.

私は子供のころ、病気で死にかけたことがあるそうだ。"In my childhood, I heard that I when I was sick I had already begun to die."

ampersand
January 27th, 2009, 15:57
Hmm. 子供ころ? Is that the same basically as 子供のとき? Is the latter even valid? Kind of the childhood vs. "when I was little" distinction?ころ is 頃. It's the same as ごろ in 何時ごろ. Like katsudon wrote, it's more vague than 時. You might think of 子供頃 and 子供の時 as "when I was a child" and "a time when I was a child", respectively.

So like...子供ころ、背が高くなるかけでした。 (In my childhood, I had only started to get tall.)背が高くなりかけでした。It's a verb (掛ける), so it joins with other verbs as a compound, not as a noun being described by the verbal phrase--even when it's turned back into a noun by using the stem.

Wakatta
January 27th, 2009, 19:38
Thanks, &sensei! I use 子供の時 a ton (e.g. when kids ask about Japanese TV, I say, 子供のとき、弟とDragon Ball Zを見ていました。) and it sounds like it'd be more appropriate to use 子供頃 in such cases.

dombay
January 27th, 2009, 23:17
From the Kanzen Master green book(AKA doomy death hate book), #56

:D

katsudon
January 28th, 2009, 08:42
Thanks a ton! Yeah I get it now. I just really was having issues with this whole one.

:) You're the best!