View Poll Results: How do you think your interview went?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great, see you at orientation.

9 12.16%
  • Could have done better but overall pretty good.

34 45.95%
  • I have no idea.

15 20.27%
  • Not very good but I still have hope.

8 10.81%
  • Horrible, time to start thinking about plan B.

8 10.81%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 Post-interview Poll

Default Re: 2009 Post-interview Poll

I had my interview today, I was the first on the the first day!!!! I think I did well, I got everyone to smile at least once....Hopefully it was good enough.
    "Percussionist....During the rests....pray"
    Eugene Ormandy

Quote Originally Posted by maidenindigo View Post
    My interview is not until tomorrow, but the name of the OP is forcing me to post this:
    hahaha, I thought of that after I made the handle, maybe I should use that as my picture. I freaking love that show.

Overall, I thought it went well. The interview panel was restrained, but overall pretty friendly. I thought most of my answers were pretty well received. I may have made a gaffe in my self-intro; although the panelists were roleplaying bored middle school students, so who knows.

I didn't get such an unabashedly enthusiastic reaction as some others here, but a couple of laughs all the same. My interview also lasted a full thirty minutes, which was a surprise based on others' experience in New York.

i also saw one of the panel members circling things about a foot away from me, and if i had paid more attention i'm sure i could have seen what she was circling, but i was worried i would lose focus and that it would just freak me out so i forced myself not to look and to keep eye contact with them.

now i wish i had looked

this one thing keeps bothering me: during the interview they said, "give us an example of an outline of a lesson plan you would have to explain how american culture is so diverse to a group of middle schoolers -- you can even stand up and demonstrate if you want." (we had been talking about diversity in america.)

but i didn't stand up and demonstrate, since they made it an option... i just sort of gave an outline and talked about this game i would play that involved learning vocabulary focused around different aspects of american culture, like... cowboy hats! haha, i can't believe i said it but it made them laugh at least and the ex-jet was like, "cowboy hats, that's cool!" but now i'm wondering if i should have stood up and given the lesson -- maybe they think i'm not outgoing enough since i just opted to sit there and tell them what i would do. but i'm not a good actress and it's really hard for me to pretend that i am talking to a room full of middle schoolers when i'm obviously not. argghhh.

whoops, didn't plan to go off so much about that, but it feels good to get it out!

Right when I got out of my interview, I felt really confident. As the days have passed, I've started to wonder more and more, wondering if I came off as well as I would've liked. I did get smiles and a few "good answer" responses, although I still wonder if I talked a little too fast. Some people here have said their interview felt like a conversation, but my interview panel was a little bit too reserved for me to get that feeling.

Also, I really felt like the questions they asked me were mostly too easy. Mostly about my life in college and my travel in Japan, plus a couple of situational questions. They actually didn't asked me explicitly why I wanted to go to Japan or do the JET Program... Hopefully that means they liked my qualifications and SOP, and didn't feel like grilling me.

i also didn't get asked 'why japan' and 'why jet' which i thought was particularly strange because i haven't really had any experience with japan at all -- no language, no classes in college, never been there, etc.

but they did say they were very impressed by all the travel experience i had and asked me a lot about my future career aspirations as a professor of anthropology and said it was very common for JETs to go to grad school after they were done.

i also didn't get the "what happens if you don't get your placement request" question -- they were like "when you go to okinawa you will have to deal with a lot of anti-americanism because the US army makes up a significant portion of the population there...(and here i interrupted them and blurted out 11 PERCENT like an idiot! i guess i was trying to put all the millions of facts i memorized to use.), how will you handle that?" and they seemed to like my answer. so i came out on cloud 9 thinking, "yes, they are sending me to okinawa!" but i'm sure it didn't really mean that.

i don't know, i basically had the same feeling, felt wonderful after my interview and now i feel worse about it as time goes by.

Oh yeah, they also didn't ask me anything about my placement. Maybe because I didn't choose a particular prefecture, although I did put down that I wanted to go to Kyushu.

So, who knows.

I just got back from mine and as soon as I left I felt it went poorly, but as time went on I found positive things from it. So now that I'm home and had a couple hours to mull it over, I picked "I have no idea," because I honestly don't.

The panel seemed pretty nice. I was led in by the Japanese non-consulate employee person and sort of joked with her. The first thing she asked was "How are you?" so I just laughed and told her "nervous." That made her chuckle.

Then, after crossing the labyrinthine hallways of the ambassador's residence, I walked in and shook everyone's hand and sat down. Most of the questions were okay. I felt I rambled on some, and afterwards I really felt I spoke too quickly with the exception of the example lesson.

For the example lesson, I did Easter. All I had was a pencil and a pad of paper. It wasn't very well put together because I blanked out and they kept asking questions, so I just went with the questions they asked. (Ewww, chocolate eggs? When is Easter? Why do they celebrate Easter?) The lesson wasn't organized well, but I kept smiling and answering their questions.

I only made them chuckle a couple of times, and the ex-ALT was the most serious person there surprisingly. I got the biggest laugh when I told them one of the things I wanted to bring was the movie Blues Brothers. I didn't specify a subtitled version, so now I worry they think I'd show kids a full-length English movie.

The only really bad part was at the end when I tried to make a joke with my final question for them. I told them I had a question, but couldn't remember it, so they told me I could ask the ex-JETs downstairs. They were about to show me out, but then I said, "Oh wait, one more question. *laugh* How'd I do?" And none of them really got that it was a joke because I guess they felt the interview was pretty much done, so I actually had to explain the joke. The ex-JET said "You did great" anyway.

And as soon as I got to my car, I remembered the real question I was going to ask. At least the other two questions were pretty good. (How difficult is it to get a drivers' license in Japan? and What should I do to get involved in community activities?)

So now I drink my wine and post here, unwinding from the weeks of pent up stress.

Maiden - you can actually go to a AAA office here in the states and get an International Driver's Permit (An IDP functions as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into ten foreign languages) which you can use to drive in Japan. (it is only valid for one year tho)

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...fety_1179.html

Quote Originally Posted by shibuyadreams View Post
    Maiden - you can actually go to a AAA office here in the states and get an International Driver's Permit (An IDP functions as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into ten foreign languages) which you can use to drive in Japan. (it is only valid for one year tho)
    Yeah I know, but after a year you have to get a drivers' license. Unless I really hate my placement, I'll probably be staying for at least two years. That's if I make the cut, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by toadhjo View Post
    Also, I really felt like the questions they asked me were mostly too easy. Mostly about my life in college and my travel in Japan, plus a couple of situational questions. They actually didn't asked me explicitly why I wanted to go to Japan or do the JET Program... Hopefully that means they liked my qualifications and SOP, and didn't feel like grilling me.
    same here
    Last edited by ngiahZ; February 22nd, 2009 at 16:39.
    San Francisco, CA | Application en route

Quote Originally Posted by maidenindigo View Post
    Yeah I know, but after a year you have to get a drivers' license. Unless I really hate my placement, I'll probably be staying for at least two years. That's if I make the cut, of course.
    My friend who's in Gunma right now just broke the JET record. She had to take the driving test 12 times before they finally let her have one. Yeesh.

My interview was so soft and easy- like butter in a sock!

Quote Originally Posted by shibuyadreams View Post

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...fety_1179.html
    The Japanese police will not be pleased if they catch you driving with an IDP and you aren't a short-term visitor. You can still easily be charged with driving without a license even if your IDP is totally valid.
    Why you won't get into JET:
    http://ilovejapan.tumblr.com/

I guess mine went alright, cant really complain.

I did fairly well, but the interviewers were very hard to read, so I have no clue what they thought of me. At least I know I have relatively few regrets about how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by orz View Post
    The Japanese police will not be pleased if they catch you driving with an IDP and you aren't a short-term visitor. You can still easily be charged with driving without a license even if your IDP is totally valid.
    Yeah I got arrested for driving on my IDP last week.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Yeah I got arrested for driving on my IDP last week.

Because it was expired, beyond a year in Japan, or because you are not a short term visitor?