Thread: "Back-up plan" activities.

Default "Back-up plan" activities.

Today I suddenly had to teach three classes by myself because a teacher was absent. I would like more all-purpose activities in case it happens again. Does anyone have any ideas for fairly low-level students that a person can do without time to prepare? I have been searching the internet, but I would love it if someone has an idea they have tried.
    What have you tried that has worked?
    Requirements: Appropriate for low level high school students. Minimal to no preparation necessary. Fairly active.

Hell, if it's low level and you have no time for prep, just go in and ask them what their fav (insert thing/hobby/food) is and teach them to elaborate on it... That's what I'd do~

How about word games? You can make them last for a 10 minute filler or a whole lesson if you want...

goodies include hangman..keep it easy and relevant to their lives.. also give hints...like today when i overestimated how long my lesson would last we played it for a while at the end and gave them words like "school festival" and said "this is happening very soon" (it's this weekend) and "homework" ("you all hate this very much!")

another one is the category game to test vocabulary - you divide the class into 4 or 5 teams and give them a section of the board each. you tell them what the category is (like sports, colours, hobbies...or any topic that you've covered recently and want to review) and then each person in the team has to run up to the board and write down a word that fits into the category. they have to spell it correctly and it cant be the same as any of their teammates has written up. the kids all throw themselves up to the board and are desperate for their teams to win...i thought that they would look at each other's sections but they really didn't. tried it with my ichi-nen-seis to see how much of the Body Parts vocabulary that they had picked up and was pleasantly surprised!

if all else fails you can draw a square with 25 smaller squares inside, and then play Q&A bingo. the kids have to listen to you ask 25 questions and if they can answer yes truthfully then they get to fill in that square. questions about hobbies, food, family, travel, TV and pop culture and ambitions are all good. pretty easy to come up with enough to ask them. then when a kid gets bingo they have to read out the numbers that they made the line with and you go over the questions, i.e. "OK, so you answered YES to Question 20 - so you have no brothers or sisters, is that correct? "Yes, that's correct, I have no brothers or sisters". usually the other kids know enough about them to pick up if they're lying and will delight in telling you if they are!

I've done all three of these and all have gone down well with my ichi and ni sen nei high school students who are in the mid-lowest stream at a moderately high senior high school - think they should transfer down too.

try www.handoutsonline.com for some quick ideas too
    I have finesse!

I have finesse coming out of my bottom!

Wow Chiara, thanks for the ideas! I like that vocabulary test a lot. And thanks for the great website!

Indeed wow on the adv~ Good stuff. Omigoto Chi-chan~