Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview Success Rate

Default Interview Success Rate

I heard that once you have an interview, you've got a pretty good chance og being in JET, unless you truely blow it. Thoughts?

Default Re: Interview Success Rate

I don't think so.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

No, not true.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

I have heard estimates that 30% of interviewees get through.

Quote Originally Posted by 08004223 View Post
    I heard that once you have an interview, you've got a pretty good chance og being in JET, unless you truely blow it. Thoughts?
    I wish that were the case...

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

That seems to be a fallacy many people believe about jobs in general. That getting to the interview stage almost ensures you get the job.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

btw, not all applicants are equal at the interview stage, some need to do better than others to get in (from what I gather). But it is always in your interest to do the best you can.

I remember crunching the numbers in a back-of-the-envelope sort of way and finding like maybe a 50% success rate. I'm not sure, though.

The first thing they said when I sat down at my interview was, "Welcome to the JET Program." That has messed with my head from that moment onwards. (The same guy closed with, "Good luck with your career.", which seemed to send the exact opposite signal.)

probably worse this year...

Two years ago, more than 50% of Chicago interviewees got in, but it seems like more people were interviewed this year with less spots opening up. I'm guessing about a quarter to a third of interviewees get accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Eira View Post
    Two years ago, more than 50% of Chicago interviewees got in, but it seems like more people were interviewed this year with less spots opening up. I'm guessing about a quarter to a third of interviewees get accepted.
    I'm pretty sure that anyone with an interview can just tally up the numbers themselves.

With DC, at least, they just mailed us a PDF with all the interview ID numbers on it. Add in some modifiers for country and such (easily retrieved) and you can get a pretty good read on the situation.

When I had my interview in Nashville, someone asked the JET coordinator what percentage of people who got an interview got in to JET. He said about 50%.

I'm pretty sure it varies by consulate, because most of what he said he prefaced with "In Nashville" or "from this consulate"
    "Food! Food! Bring me everything ya got!"

here is the thing, they give the interview notices out before the recontracting deadline, my guess is a lot of people are going to stay and hide from the bad economy

Yea. Last year in my fiance's city alone five or six spots opened up... This year there are fewer than that in the northern third of the prefecture, and not many more throughout the rest of the pref. I can only imagine that other places are the same.

Maybe what you heard is most interviewees make the short list or alternate list. Doesn't seem like too many people get out-right rejected after the interview. Still, there will definitely be less short-listers this year, and probably less alternates called up.

Quote Originally Posted by Saitaman View Post
    here is the thing, they give the interview notices out before the recontracting deadline, my guess is a lot of people are going to stay and hide from the bad economy
    *raises hand* It's not the only reason I'm staying another year, but it was certainly a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by 08004223 View Post
    that what an ex-jet/panel interviewer told me, but it still depends on how many spots open up from people leaving the program.

Ugh. I hope I did well in the interview.

The worrying question of lowered odds due to current ALTs staying because of the economy doesn't really make sense, in my humble and insignificant opinion. Seems to me that if an ALT wasn't enjoying the job, they'd return home regardless of economic conditions (assuming the U.S. hadn't been reduced to some sort of Mad Max-ish wasteland). If they were enjoying the job, they'd recontract as long as they were permitted to do so. I'm not saying that economic factors don't play into an ALT's decision to recontract, but I do think the weight of those factors may be a bit overstated here on the forums.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and the economy may well be the only thing that recontracting ALTs have on their mind.

"You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless! You've got to hope even more, and cover your ears and go 'Blah-blah-blah-blah-blah-blah!!'"

Considering that between this time last year and today your average US-based ALT has seen an effective ~30% raise in their salary (in USD), I'd say economic considerations do weigh in.
    Last edited by Waldroon; February 27th, 2009 at 04:08.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

I'm probably only thinking along those lines because I'm an applicant, rather than an ALT. It's difficult for me to imagine someone wanting to come back stateside for any reason--but I'm fairly certain this is because I want to participate in the program so badly. JET just strikes me as the sort of job that you either love (recontracting as long as you can) or hate (leaving on the next plane home). Reality, I suppose, is a bit more fuzzy... You're probably right...
    Last edited by liroku; February 27th, 2009 at 04:16.

"You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless! You've got to hope even more, and cover your ears and go 'Blah-blah-blah-blah-blah-blah!!'"

in LA, they said that about 25% of interviewers will be offered positions. i assume that doesn't include alternates