Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MEXT scholarship FAQs

Default Re: MEXT scholarship FAQs

You're good to go. The restrictions are for receiving multiple scholarships at the same time period and past government scholarships.
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; April 3rd, 2009 at 09:31.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

What if I already have a Master's degree? Can I still apply and pursue another Masters? (Or even a Doctorate, I suppose?)
    Last edited by shibuyadreams; April 3rd, 2009 at 22:01. Reason: add

You apply to pursue research at a Japanese university. If you are accepted and then later accepted by a Japanese university to enter a doctoral program your scholarship can be extended.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

This begins to make sense. Good work on getting this board set up and the info on it. I appreciate the effort!
    Action, must be taken. We don't need the key, we'll break in.

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post

PS.

The scholarship to study at the masters level is for research students only. That means you come over as a 'non-degree' and 'non-regular' student and can not matriculate towards a masters degree....

Now don't sweat. There is good news. You can become a masters student and have your scholarship extended until the point you complete your masters. The procedure to do this is different at every school so I would contact schools and programs you are interested in attending and asking for more information there.
    Can i have some more clarification on this please? I graduated with a Bachelors degree in New Zealand in May and I'm currently taking a break whilst I decide what I want to do next. I want to gain a masters in Japan, so would I initially apply as a research student, and following the completion of that, reapply as a masters student? (or can i automatically just extend it?). What happens if they don't let me extend the scholarship to a masters? I couldn't credit the study to any sort of qualification.

I think I am confused because here if you wish to do a masters, you do one year of lectures (this is a seperate qualification called a post graduate diploma) and if your grades are good enough you can go on for a further year of research (this is the masters year). The MEXT "research student" scholarship is for a max period of 2 years, for which the same duration of time in NZ you can complete a masters.

These are the two questions im confused about.

The first course you plan to take in Japan(日本における最初の入学希望課程)
    Please mark either ⅰ), ⅱ), ⅲ) or ⅳ) with a circle.(希望する最初の入学希望課程を次の4つから選択し,○をすること。)
    ⅰ) Research student(研究生) (So id tick this)
    ⅱ) Master's degree course(修士課程)
    ⅲ) Doctoral course(博士課程)
    ⅳ) Professional graduate course(専門職学位課程)
    Term you wish to study in Japan(日本における最終的な希望留学期間)
    Please mark either ⅰ), ⅱ), ⅲ) or ⅳ) with a circle.(次の4つから選択し,○をすること。)
    * Please refer to item 3 titled “Term of Scholarship” in the document titled “Japanese Government Scholarship for 2007” for more information on the term
    of scholarship and the conditions for extending the term.
    (なお,奨学金支給期間及び支給期間延長の際の要件については,募集要項「3.奨学金支給期間」を参照のこと。)
    ⅰ) Only a research student’s term (two years or one year and six months) 研究生のみ(2年間又は1年6か月)(so id tick this)
    ⅱ) From a research student through master’s degree course completion 修士課程修了まで (id tick this if i want to extend it?)
    ⅲ) From a research student through doctoral course completion 博士課程修了まで
    ⅳ) From a research student through professional graduate course completion 専門職学位課程修了まで
    Last edited by hammer; July 2nd, 2009 at 19:35.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Can i have some more clarification on this please? I graduated with a Bachelors degree in New Zealand in May and I'm currently taking a break whilst I decide what I want to do next. I want to gain a masters in Japan, so would I initially apply as a research student, and following the completion of that, reapply as a masters student? (or can i automatically just extend it?). What happens if they don't let me extend the scholarship to a masters? I couldn't credit the study to any sort of qualification.

I think I am confused because here if you wish to do a masters, you do one year of lectures (this is a seperate qualification called a post graduate diploma) and if your grades are good enough you can go on for a further year of research (this is the masters year). The MEXT "research student" scholarship is for a max period of 2 years, for which the same duration of time in NZ you can complete a masters.

These are the two questions im confused about.

When you get this scholarship you are classified as a 'research student' by the school you head off to. You can switch over your status later to a masters course and have your scholarship extended until you finish that course and obtain a degree. If you come over and cannot get into a masters program you're basically out of luck and return back home with whatever you researched but no degree.

Regarding -The first course you plan to take in Japan- question

You would check off research student unless you were already accepted (or are highly confident you can be accepted) into a masters degree program.

For the second question.

You have it right. If you intend to try to complete a masters in Japan you'd check 2. If you just want to do research you would check 1. Checking 2 leaves more options open for you.

This took me a long time and lots of emails with different schools to understand. I hope I cleared it up a little for you.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Ok cool thanks.

I've always intended on going back to university to do a masters. Perhaps going back for one semester next year and should I get into Jet, finishing the other 3 semesters when I get back. But now I think I might apply for this as well. In my final year papers I averaged between A- and B+ but I dont think that will be good enough =/

Hi,
    I hope I use the right thread to ask here.
    I am a receiver of MEXT scholarship. My husband is now applying for scholarship too. I heard before that couple couldn't get the scholarship from MEXT for both of them. That means that my husband has to look for another scholarship and he can't apply for MEXT scholarship because I have received that.
    Is it true or not? Because there is also information that the rule was change since 2009, and now both couple can apply for the MEXT scholarship.
    I can't find the web regarding this problem.
    Thank you very much..

I don't really know about that. You could try asking on gaijinpot.com.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Okay, thank you for your suggestion..

Hi everyone.
    I applied for the MEXT scholarship 2010 through the embassy recommendation. I got through the primary screening and selected Kyoto University as my first preference. My supervisor at the Kyoto informed me that I have been accepted as a research student by the Kyoto university and the MEXT has made the second confirmation to the Kyoto University. At the same time he told me that the acceptance letter for my scholarship will be sent through the embassy in my country and most probably that will happen by February. I'm waiting for a reply from the embassy and bit nervous about this. Is there anyone who knows the exact time period that they will inform the embassies. Your comments on this will be greatly appreciated.

Well, it's still February, and you've got confirmation. Relax! Shouldn't take too long. Japan's just really fussy about paperwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Thank you dear for your comment. I will wait for their good news.

You're more than welcome sweetheart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can recommend a course of action for me...

I just really, really want to become fluent in Japanese. I have my graduate degree, but I was hoping to get a MEXT scholarship for intensive language study. Could I apply as a researcher? Something?
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

You can apply to research Japanese linguistics. But you need an actual research plan.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Hi,

I've recently applied for JET, so this is early and eager of me to ask, but if I'm able to come to Japan and teach, I eventually want to apply to Kyushu University's Master of Law program. I really want to study Asian Legal Studies in Japan before eventually returning to the U.S. to attend law school. Could I apply for the MEXT scholarship to attend Kyushu University?

Thanks!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. "
    -- James Michener

The process is like JET. You get to list your preferred schools but the government gets the final say on where you study.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

MEXT has closed all newly forthcoming scholarships for the time being, citing lack of funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Djordje View Post
    MEXT has closed all newly forthcoming scholarships for the time being, citing lack of funds.
    what a load of bollocks. Stop trolling.