Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MEXT scholarship FAQs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default MEXT scholarship FAQs

Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; April 13th, 2015 at 09:45. Reason: So old
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Default Re: MEXT scholarship FAQs

Thanks for starting this, I have been reading about the MEXT for a while, but was a little confused about the whole process. After reading the information provided in the links thread I still have one big initial question:

What is this 'recruitment' process by the embassies all about. I know they aren't like the army guys at the subway station who sit at tables and try to sucker people into joining a cause. Basically what I am saying is I want to be recruited. Do I go to the consulate (a short 15 minute subway ride uptown) and talk to them directly....or what?

I am getting my BA in Literature in May (writing my senior work on Cont. Japanese Lit), have studied Japanese for three years (though I have no idea how I would do on the JLPT - maybe 3kyuu) and want to continue studying Japanese literature in a masters program in Japan.

Is this the type of candidate that gets 'recruited'? I know when the time comes I would have a stellar recommendation in the bag.

Thanks ahead of time, the fog on this MEXT thing is starting to lift.

I stopped working on this post years ago and everything is basically long outdated.

Best to go straight to the source now: MEXT : STUDY in JAPAN
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; April 13th, 2015 at 09:43. Reason: Dated
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post

PS.

The scholarship to study at the masters level is for research students only. That means you come over as a 'non-degree' and 'non-regular' student and can not matriculate towards a masters degree....

Now don't sweat. There is good news. You can become a masters student and have your scholarship extended until the point you complete your masters. The procedure to do this is different at every school so I would contact schools and programs you are interested in attending and asking for more information there.
    Can i have some more clarification on this please? I graduated with a Bachelors degree in New Zealand in May and I'm currently taking a break whilst I decide what I want to do next. I want to gain a masters in Japan, so would I initially apply as a research student, and following the completion of that, reapply as a masters student? (or can i automatically just extend it?). What happens if they don't let me extend the scholarship to a masters? I couldn't credit the study to any sort of qualification.

I think I am confused because here if you wish to do a masters, you do one year of lectures (this is a seperate qualification called a post graduate diploma) and if your grades are good enough you can go on for a further year of research (this is the masters year). The MEXT "research student" scholarship is for a max period of 2 years, for which the same duration of time in NZ you can complete a masters.

These are the two questions im confused about.

The first course you plan to take in Japan(日本における最初の入学希望課程)
    Please mark either ⅰ), ⅱ), ⅲ) or ⅳ) with a circle.(希望する最初の入学希望課程を次の4つから選択し,○をすること。)
    ⅰ) Research student(研究生) (So id tick this)
    ⅱ) Master's degree course(修士課程)
    ⅲ) Doctoral course(博士課程)
    ⅳ) Professional graduate course(専門職学位課程)
    Term you wish to study in Japan(日本における最終的な希望留学期間)
    Please mark either ⅰ), ⅱ), ⅲ) or ⅳ) with a circle.(次の4つから選択し,○をすること。)
    * Please refer to item 3 titled “Term of Scholarship” in the document titled “Japanese Government Scholarship for 2007” for more information on the term
    of scholarship and the conditions for extending the term.
    (なお,奨学金支給期間及び支給期間延長の際の要件については,募集要項「3.奨学金支給期間」を参照のこと。)
    ⅰ) Only a research student’s term (two years or one year and six months) 研究生のみ(2年間又は1年6か月)(so id tick this)
    ⅱ) From a research student through master’s degree course completion 修士課程修了まで (id tick this if i want to extend it?)
    ⅲ) From a research student through doctoral course completion 博士課程修了まで
    ⅳ) From a research student through professional graduate course completion 専門職学位課程修了まで
    Last edited by hammer; July 2nd, 2009 at 19:35.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Can i have some more clarification on this please? I graduated with a Bachelors degree in New Zealand in May and I'm currently taking a break whilst I decide what I want to do next. I want to gain a masters in Japan, so would I initially apply as a research student, and following the completion of that, reapply as a masters student? (or can i automatically just extend it?). What happens if they don't let me extend the scholarship to a masters? I couldn't credit the study to any sort of qualification.

I think I am confused because here if you wish to do a masters, you do one year of lectures (this is a seperate qualification called a post graduate diploma) and if your grades are good enough you can go on for a further year of research (this is the masters year). The MEXT "research student" scholarship is for a max period of 2 years, for which the same duration of time in NZ you can complete a masters.

These are the two questions im confused about.

When you get this scholarship you are classified as a 'research student' by the school you head off to. You can switch over your status later to a masters course and have your scholarship extended until you finish that course and obtain a degree. If you come over and cannot get into a masters program you're basically out of luck and return back home with whatever you researched but no degree.

Regarding -The first course you plan to take in Japan- question

You would check off research student unless you were already accepted (or are highly confident you can be accepted) into a masters degree program.

For the second question.

You have it right. If you intend to try to complete a masters in Japan you'd check 2. If you just want to do research you would check 1. Checking 2 leaves more options open for you.

This took me a long time and lots of emails with different schools to understand. I hope I cleared it up a little for you.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

4. SCHOLARSHIP BENEFITS
    (1) Allowance: Under the fiscal 2008 budget each grantee will be provided monthly with 170,000 yen, and 160,000 yen in and after the thirteenth month of stay in Japan(subject to change, however, depending upon the annual budget of each year). The scholarship will not be paid to a grantee who takes a leave of absence or is long absent from his/her university.
    Scholarship will be cancelled for a grantee if
    ① any of his/her application documents is found to be falsely stated;
    ② he/she is in breach of his/her pledge made to the Minister of MONBUKAGAKUSHO(MEXT);
    ③ he/she is subjected to disciplinary action, such as expulsion or removal from register, taken by his/her university or the preparatory Japanese-teaching institution;
    ④ it becomes definitive that the grantee will not be able to complete his/her course within the standard course term because of his/her poor academic achievement or suspension;
    ⑤ his/her resident status of
    "College Student" as provided for in Paragraph 1-4 of Appendix to the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act changes to any other status; or
    ⑥ he/she is provided with another scholarship(except for a scholarship designated for research expenses).
    (2) Traveling Costs
    ① Transportation to Japan: Each grantee will be provided, according to his/her itinerary and route as designated by MEXT, with an economy class air ticket from the international airport closest to his/her place of residence to Narita International Airport (or following the itinerary normally used by the university where the grantee is placed). Expenses such as inland transportation from his/her place of residence to the nearest international airport, airport tax, special taxes on overseas travel and travel expenses within Japan will be borne by the grantee
    (the place of residence of the grantee shall in principle be the address stated in the application form). Air travel from a country other than the grantee・s nationality will not be covered, nor travel to Japan before April 1, 2009.
    If the grantee comes to Japan to obtain admission to a university, he/she will not be provided with traveling cost to Japan.
    ② Transportation from Japan: The grantee who returns to his/her home country within the last-payment month of his/her scholarship will be provided, upon application, with an economy class air ticket for a flight from Narita International Airport (or following the itinerary normally used by the university where the grantee is placed) to the international airport closest to his/her place of return.
    Note: Insurance premiums for travel to/from Japan shall be borne by the grantee. The airport the grantee departs from or returns to must be an airport of the country of his/her nationality.
    ③ School Fees: Fees for matriculation, tuition and entrance examinations at a university will be paid by the Japanese government. If the grantee moves on to higher education as a nonregular student, he/she will pay for entrance examinations.

Not a bad deal..

The scholarship allowance has been reduced to 152,000 a month starting this year due to bad economy and stuff.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

still not that bad of a deal.

Thanks for the info Upgrayedd it was indeed helpful.

Based on what you said and what I have been reading it sounds like the Munbusho is somewhat similar to the Fulbright Fellowship program. I applied for a Fulbright last fall (and was ultimately rejected) but I spent a lot of time preparing a very detailed research plan for that (concerning Okinawan identity vis-a-vis America and the main island through contemporary Okinawan literature and music).

Am I correct in saying the two programs are similar?

Also, are you have you received a Munbusho scholarship? If so, would you mind letting me know a little bit about your project?

Thanks again.

I don't know much about the Fulbright but it sounds similar.

I'm not on the scholarship now though I plan on applying for it in the future. I'm leaning towards studying strategic communications (international business related) or international logistics.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Hi, I am new here so hi first of all. Ok, I have applied to for the MEXT scholarship however, I have a couple of questions I hope you could clear up for me.

1) I have looked at more websites than I care to remember looking for MEXT info but am left a little confused by the fact that some state that there is always an English language part of the exam- is this right even if English is your first language?

2) Is it all dependent on how good your Japanese ability is? I think I am 4 perhaps 3.

3)am applying while still at uni. I am studying Japanese and will be spending the next year in Japan studying- is this still the same process cause it seems alot of people are doing it through the researchers path?

Thankyou very much

Blue

Quote Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
    Hi, I am new here so hi first of all. Ok, I have applied to for the MEXT scholarship however, I have a couple of questions I hope you could clear up for me.

1) I have looked at more websites than I care to remember looking for MEXT info but am left a little confused by the fact that some state that there is always an English language part of the exam- is this right even if English is your first language?

2) Is it all dependent on how good your Japanese ability is? I think I am 4 perhaps 3.

3)am applying while still at uni. I am studying Japanese and will be spending the next year in Japan studying- is this still the same process cause it seems alot of people are doing it through the researchers path?

Thankyou very much

Blue

You need to take a Japanese test for sure. Unless the program you are going to enter does not require Japanese ability. If you need Japanese ability you will need to be well beyond JLPT 1 by the time you start classes. The government will pay for up to 6 months of a language school but you should be as honest with yourself...If you are going into a program that requires classes in Japanese and you are around a 4 or 3 it will be near impossible to get up to speed and might want to study Japanese for a few more years.

I don't know anything about a test in English.

I'm confused about your last question. Are you studying abroad in Japan? If so then you still need to apply through your local consulate/embassy. If you are attending a Japanese university as a regular 'domestic' student you apply for the MEXT scholarship a different way.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Thanks for the reply.

JLPT1 that surely can't be right. From my university alone there have been 4 second year students put forward for the MEXT scholarship and non of them are even level 2. Many uni's I looked at in Japan that offer the MEXT scholarship state that they are looking for JLPT 4 or 3. I hope this is not the case other wise it would be curtains for nearly every undergraduate aplying.

Still thanks for the feedback. I shall keep you updated if I get through as there seems to be a little confusion from forum to forum on the whole thing. I sent my application of through my via my uni to the embassy this month so apparently should find out if i am invited to the interview stage next month.

fingers crossed

Ah and I believe you are trying for the Japanese studies scholarship and not the research scholarship?

Sorry for the mix up. Most of us here on JET are college grads and looking into grad school.

(郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Yeah thats the one. Appologies for the mix up. I find the whole thing a little confusing. Yeah it is the Japanese Studies scholarship I am going for. Do you know anything about it? I really hope so.

Blue

http://www.atlanta.us.emb-japan.go.j...tPlacement.htm

Here is a list of what the universities expect your Japanese to be just for you to attend classes taught in Japanese.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

No, sorry. This is still a brand new forum to talk about the scholarships and we haven't attracted many interested people yet.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Any idea when the applications will be posted? I called the consulate, left a message, but am still waiting to get a reply...

Also, I am a little confused by the link to the ATL page you posted UPGRAYYED. Where on there does it state that the level of JLPT you need to have...is it the last column marked either 1 or 2? I am no one near a 2...I think and this is a problem because my project would concern literature.

Also, concerning the list, are those the only universities that currently accept MEXTs? My project will likely deal with Okinawa, but the University of the Ryukyus only has like science people. I didn't see anything like that sheet on the NYC consulate page...

Quote Originally Posted by hige View Post
    Any idea when the applications will be posted? I called the consulate, left a message, but am still waiting to get a reply...

Also, I am a little confused by the link to the ATL page you posted UPGRAYYED. Where on there does it state that the level of JLPT you need to have...is it the last column marked either 1 or 2? I am no one near a 2...I think and this is a problem because my project would concern literature.

Also, concerning the list, are those the only universities that currently accept MEXTs? My project will likely deal with Okinawa, but the University of the Ryukyus only has like science people. I didn't see anything like that sheet on the NYC consulate page...
    Aprilish

The comment column is JLPT level for direct placement. Meaning that is what is required to enter the school/department without going to Japanese school. You can also assume that is what level they want students who attend the Japanese prep schools to be at when they finish.

I don't think it is a complete list because there are a few schools not listed that I know for sure take MEXT scholars. Just using it to get an idea what Japanese level you need to study in Japan. Part of the deal is Japanese school so if you think you can get up to speed after some intense Japanese lessons by all means you shouldn't worry.

Programs in English are exempt from this.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Do you know if getting a JASSO when studying abroad disqualifies you?
    Thanks.