Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MEXT scholarship FAQs

Quote Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
    what a load of bollocks. Stop trolling.
    Check the website.

Default Re: MEXT scholarship FAQs

current JET here, long time reader, first time poster.

i had a question about the monbusho. i have been taking some russian private lessons at a smaller university here on my island, and my professor and i have talked about the possibility of me applying to grad school at a university i would be interesting in getting my master's from. if i pass the 留学入学試験 in october, then i would start in april taking a few classes (the school is far from my work but they are willing to accommodate working-class students via distance learning), because they do not offer october admission to the program in which i am interested.

my question: if i were to do grad school for a year on my own dime, my professor suggested i apply for the monbushou (he knew someone who was on it before and said it was a gravy train boat ride from heaven) next april, and if i get it, start receiving benefits come my 2nd year of grad school. however, according to everything i've read, the Research Student Scholarship is only just for that, 研究生, and hypothetically i would be in a regular master's program, because if i am going to be on my own dime i would want to be in and out as soon as possible because i will probably be working the late shift at a konbini (my secret dream. 暖めますか?). also, perusing MEXT's website leads me to believe they want to give the scholarship to people who live in other countries, not people who are from other countries but live in japan. but i could be wrong.

does getting the monbushou in the second year of a master's program at a japanese university sound like a possibility?

sleepless in 末広町,

jandek

How competitive is the scholarship and how dependent is it on your undergraduate grades? My grades in the last two years of study were quite good, but pretty abysmal in the first two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truthsauce View Post
    scotchward's superpower is: singlet singularity.

Hi,
    i am a phd student in japan having MEXT scholarship now. My wife applied for a masters while in home country and now she has come here. Yesterday we got the result that she will be also awarded MEXT for her masters and now we need to submit application forms. We are confused whether we can apply it from here or she should go back to home country. Any idea?

Thank you upgrayedd for all this useful information! Quick question: Has anyone gotten a MEXT scholarship WHILE being on JET?

Thanks!

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

a girl in my prefecture did in 2010.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Does anyone knows details of the undergraduate scholarship?

Specifically, what subjects are being tested at the end of the preparatory course? What is the percentage number of passes for the exam held at the end of the preparatory course each year?

I have received an email from the embassy in my country that informed me that i have been selected for the scholarship.

However, i am still wondering if i should take it up.

First, i don't know much about Japanese except for simple phrases like ohayo gozaimasu.

I do not wish to be sent back to my country just after one year.

Hey just wanted to ask, how many students are obtaining MEXT schoolarship?

Hi, I don't know if it's the same for all countries, but in Brazil there are 30 scholarships.

I would really appreciate it if someone could clarify the following two questions on the MEXT research application documents (if you had already gone on a research through this program all the better):

Q1) The first course you plan to take in Japan (日本における最初の入学希望課程)
    i) Research student (研究生)
    ii) Master's degree course (修士課程)
    iii) Doctoral course (博士課程)
    iv) Professional graduate course (専門職学位課程)

... No problem here, but this question is somewhat related with the next.

Q2) Term you wish to study in Japan (日本における最終的な希望留学期間)
    Please mark either a), b), c) or d) with circle (次の4つから選択し、〇をすること。)

a) Only a research student's term 研究生のみ
    b) Until the master's degree course completion 修士課程修了まで
    c) Until the doctoral course completion 博士課程修了まで
    d) Until the professional graduate course completion 専門職学位課程修了まで

... There's no explanation about what this actually means... I saw the answer in the previous page, but I still couldn't understand whether you can apply for master's or doctoral course if you check i) in Q1 and a) in Q2 and you go to Japan. Someone clarify please.

Thank you in advance

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Basically they are asking you where you want to start(Q1), and where you intend to finish (Q2).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Thank you for your answer.

My point is, if I, for example, write b) or c) on Q2, will that reduce my chances of obtaining the scholarship, since I have somewhat good prospects right now (they may decide that going all the way to doctoral may cost too much money for instance). I want to take at least master's degree eventually, so if there's no real problem in applying for master's later on even if I answer a), this may give better impression (or maybe not?). So far I was thinking about writing b) Until the master's degree course completion 修士課程修了まで, since you can apply for it after spending around 6 months after you arrive in Japan with the proper skill and guidance.
    Last edited by Arupan; July 23rd, 2013 at 21:59.

please clarify which question you are answering at a given time.

I believe before this I have made it quite clear a) is where you are starting, b) is where, for the sake of the monbusho where you plan to finish.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I can speak both Japanese and English, and I understood both questions even before I posted anything. I was asking two things in general:
    -> whether you can take master's if you answer a) on Q2.
    -> whether you know if Q2's answer has any impact on the whole evaluation process.

So to put it more simply:
    -> Say, if I am to answer i) to Q1 and a) on Q2, can I go for master's (and possibly doctoral) later?
    -> Is i) on Q1 and b) /or c)/ on Q2 better compared to i) on Q1 and a) on Q2 or not? I imagine that this question can't be answered unless you have some personal experience on the matter or know someone else who does.

Anyway, thank you again.
    Last edited by Arupan; July 23rd, 2013 at 23:32.

Yes, and Yes.

Once you are over on the monbusho you can just continue progressing up the ladder assuming your school continues to accept you, and you pass all the appropriate entry exams in Japan. (which means for most schools, spending a year as a research student unless they have a fall admissions window)

It will affect your application, specifically in the interview. You will need to be able to describe what you are planning to do at the progressively higher levels you indicate you are intending to study. IE, if you apply specifically as a research student, but mark down progression to masters, you better have a solid plan for what your masters will be, and how you will get into said masters.

It should not affect your eligibility for the initial scholarship screening as that appears to be based on credentials and your research proposal.

*This information is all second hand from my friend who just got through stage two of the process (funding) and will be a research student at Kyodai next april, and another guy who just switched internally from research student to masters student.

Thank you very much for your help!