Thread: 2010... when to start?

Default 2010... when to start?

Hello all =]

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun a bit here, or if this question has been asked before, but I was wondering when is it a good time to start collecting references/doctor's notes for the 2010 departure?
    It's my first time applying and I just want to give myself enough time.

I know applications open in September, but then I think they are only open for a month or so to send in all the relevant paperwork. So I guess you'd need to collect that information before.

So should I be getting personal statements and whatnot prepared now or should I wait 'til summer? I will have left uni this summer so all my references will be tutors/lecturers etc.

Thanks for your help, and sorry for being such a noob!

Kater =]

Default Re: 2010... when to start?

It's a bit early to be worry about all of this. Honestly, as long as you stay on top of your game there's no reason why you can't get all the things you need in the time between the applications becoming available and the submission date.

At least in the US, they released the paperwork for references a couple of weeks before the applications actually went up. If you have any health issues that you think they should know about (depression, diabetes, etc), I'd wait until around the time the apps go up to get doctors' notes. Unless your doctors are booked solid for months at a time, it shouldn't be a problem to get something from them in the fall.

As for references, since it sounds like you're graduating before the applications go up, it might be a good idea to let them know in the summer that you will be contacting them in the fall, maybe send a reminder in early September that you'll need everything from them once the paperwork is available. University professors do references all the time, so as long as you tell them what the deadline is and when you want to have it by, they should be ok getting everything done as long as you give them a couple of weeks.

Good luck, and don't stress out yet. You'll have plenty of time once you start the application.

I managed to get references, complete the application, and get everything submitted within a month before the deadline. I got an interview.

I really don't think you need to be worrying about it at all right now. If you want to take some classes or get in some international or teaching experience before the application goes up it might be to your advantage, but I wouldn't worry about the application itself until September.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Two months is tons of time - just concentrate on getting the best grades you can and maybe speak to a couple of people about their willingness to be referees for you.
    And see if you can do anything related to teaching or Japanese culture in the meantime, if you're not already doing so.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Take a trip to a foreign country if you have not been. Japan is ideal but it could be a different foreign country as long as it's not Canada, because the people there are too nice and don't count as foreigners. Texas, however, counts as a different country unless you live there. If you live in Texas, Mexico does not count as a different country, and neither do some parts of Germany.

If you are graduating college, the perfect time to visit foreign countries is right afterwards, because you likely will not have a job yet and therefore you won't have to worry about getting time off (and whatever you spend, it will be tiny compared to what you already owe on loans). I would have liked to do some traveling to fix my own application's lack of international experience, but I work full time and don't get paid vacation or benefits, so it was not an option.
    If you squeeze my lizard, I'll put my snake on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder03 View Post
    If you live in Texas, Mexico does not count as a different country, and neither do some parts of Germany.
    Bavaria?
    Quote Originally Posted by Meelynn View Post
    If you were DJing a party I would rock up with my bunches of purple grapes stuffed into my bra, spilling a beer over myself, and harass you to play "Boom Boom Dollar" by King Kong & D'Jungle Girls until you called the police.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takochu~* View Post
    I didn't take any offense to it, I'm a pretty understandable person.

FiercestCalm

Although it takes a while to get everything together, it definitely doesn't take 6 months. I think the most important thing is to get your resume together and work on anything you'd like to add before you apply, like volunteering somewhere.

i got everything together between the beginning of the application period and the deadline, not that hard. In fact, there are some people on here who put everything together in like a weeks time or something.

Like everyone else has said, it's really too early to start worrying about the application. The best way to help your app at this point is do anything related to teaching, international culture, and Japan. Volunteer to help at international fairs, become a conversation partner with any foreign students at your school, travel outside your country. No matter how loosely related it is to teaching/internationalization/Japan, you can list it on your app as relative experience.

Don't worry about JET until next fall. Aside from maybe volunteering or taking a class there's not much you can do until it gets closer.

Something else you could do is spend some time talking to current and former participants about their experience.

Also, you could look and see what kinds of things JET is looking for in an ideal candidate (interest in Japan, international experience, whatever) and try to make yourself as well-rounded as possible.
    "Food! Food! Bring me everything ya got!"

Do nothing. Take in a deep breath, chill, and let the good times roll. Personally I am very eager to apply but I keep reminding myself there is so many months left to applying... so I know where your coming from.

the next batch of you kiddies will be the ones replacing me. I hope to god one of you gets my placement. It'll knock the genki right off your face.

And this is no troll post. TERROR AWAITS YOU!

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's been very helpful! I'll definitely be taking it easy, concentrating on getting uni finished and all that before I look into JET more thoroughly.

I do plan on some travelling to Europe and further afield after graduation, and I'll definitely do some research on teaching classes/TEFL stuff too.

Thanks again guys, even to the comments of mr.plainview...I take what you say on board, if I do get accepted I won't be carted off to some promised land where it's all easy and stress-free... I'm expecting a lot worse... =]

EDIT: Wow, nevermind, that was a completely redundant and unnecessary post.
    Last edited by luxaeterna; March 5th, 2009 at 17:55. Reason: im stupid

Haha, I want to start now, too! I know it's so far away, but I'm already anticipating, haha. I guess because I've been looking forward to applying since last year, and I'm finally going to be eligible!

I need to try to get some more international experience under my belt. I guess now is a good time for us to start working on those kinds of things. It'll only make our applications stronger.