Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amity

FiercestCalm

Default Amity

Hey there, just wondering if anyone else has got an Amity interview yet. I've got a group interview in DC on April 18th and want a buddy!

Default Re: Amity

I applied! But to the Chicago branch.. D.C. wasn't open :/

I applied too... I have an interview on April 18th... still deciding whether or not I want to go.... any thoughts?

This is relevant to my alternate interests.

i went to one. i am under a very strong suspicion that they are interviewing people just to keep up with the 'business as usual' mindset, even though there are little to no positions available. they are opening their 73 school this year, each school has 1-3 native speakers, with most only having one, the retention of current hires is above 50% due to the economy and at my interview alone they had 13 people. They say that if they like you then they put you on the list and you get a spot when it opens. There could honestly be hundreds on this list for all we know. And everyone is vying for one of a few dozen spots.

It doesn't seem worth while to me, and because of that conclusion i will not be going to my AEON interview.
    always a JETsmaid, never a JET.

FiercestCalm

I'm not going now, of course, but it was very expensive to drive there and stay for 2 nights, especially if they have very few positions. AEON told me no, so I wouldn't think my Amity answer would be much different.
    Last edited by FiercestCalm; April 10th, 2009 at 00:00.

thats the thing, people are flying or driving from far away to stay in hotels and shit for these interviews. its rather shitty that they drag people on like that.

Quote Originally Posted by alanna View Post
    I applied too... I have an interview on April 18th... still deciding whether or not I want to go.... any thoughts?
    i went to one (group interview), i was ready to walk out halfway through but decided to stay since i went all the way to NY for it. i felt bad for the people who paid to fly to NY and get a hotel and probably weren't offered jobs anyway. the whole "cult" thing people say here seems to be true. now i'm definitely against the idea of working for any eikaiwa since AEON is supposedly the best of the bunch. they also repeatedly emphasized they are doing very little hiring so like someone else said above, i think they're just having the group seminars because it's routine.

i'd say go for Interac. i was lucky to get into a seminar/interview in my area because they said they have twice the applicants this year. they even had to add a 2nd date. so right now for me it's Interac or no Japan this year. of course all this is just my $0.02.

p.s. are you going to try for JET again next year? or do you have a Japan or bust mentality?
    Last edited by triumphtr79; April 9th, 2009 at 21:03.

I'm currently floundering on whether or not to accept the Amity interview... at first I was under the mentality that it couldn't hurt to just go and see what it's about, but given what everyone here has been saying and the fact that it's all the way in DC (I live in Jersey), I think I might just decline.

JET would have been nice (amazing even) if I got accepted, but I'm only 23 and there is always next year's application... for now I think I'll just try to get my Japanese a little stronger and see where it takes me.

I'm currently floundering on whether or not to accept the Amity interview... at first I was under the mentality that it couldn't hurt to just go and see what it's about, but given what everyone here has been saying and the fact that it's all the way in DC (I live in Jersey), I think I might just decline.

JET would have been nice (amazing even) if I got accepted, but I'm only 23 and there is always next year's application... for now I think I'll just try to get my Japanese a little stronger and see where it takes me.
    well i'm a few years older so i kinda have a now or never mentality. i think i'm gonna get a TEFL, take the JLPT and get some classroom teaching and see what I can get with that.

i personally think you're better off staying away from Amity/AEON, but it's your choice. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by triumphtr79 View Post
    well i'm a few years older so i kinda have a now or never mentality. i think i'm gonna get a TEFL, take the JLPT and get some classroom teaching and see what I can get with that.

i personally think you're better off staying away from Amity/AEON, but it's your choice. Good luck.
    Thanks, I appreciate it... and yeah, I'm going to decline my interview with Amity, it doesn't seem worth it for the kind of experience I am looking to gain.

...besides, the next JET application is only 6 months away!

For now I'm just going to work on my Japanese and making myself a stronger candidate for next year, and if next year's application doesn't seem to pan out for me at least I can say I gave it my best shot.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do too.

It doesnt hurt to go to the interview. See things for yourself, if you don't like what you see, you say no. Unless it is 500 miles away or something.
    It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Saitaman View Post
    It doesnt hurt to go to the interview. See things for yourself, if you don't like what you see, you say no. Unless it is 500 miles away or something.
    exactly - i figure i'll check out AEON and Interac since they're both here in NY, and if i decide they're not worth following through with - the only thing i lost was a few hours of my time and $12 RT train fare.

shib-- did you apply to aeon yet? will you be at the interview next week? it would be nice to know someone there! (especially if it'll be boring :P)

for anyone going in NY, basically they lock you in a room for a while and make you watch some shoddy VHS tapes. then you do skits taking turns with this annoying guy and your fellow applicants saying "what's the matter?" then the guy says "ok, more enthusiasm and gestures!!" and then "i can't seem to find my keys!"

*shudders*

FiercestCalm

I went to the session in Atlanta, and it wasn't like that. There were 2 recruiters, who were both friendly. There was a long boring info session, yes, but they tried to keep it at least a little interesting.

The uncomfortable part came for me in the personal interview. I gave my sample lesson and he criticized me a lot, telling me that even though I think I'm smiling I'm not and I don't appear friendly or sympathetic at all. I felt pretty cut down, and they didn't accept me, so apparently I wasn't what they were looking for.

So I agree with saitaman, go to the interview and see how you feel about it, unless the price is prohibitive.

well even though it was definitely not for me i don't want to discourage anyone who might be interested from going. but if you need to spend more than $100 to do so i say forget it since they are doing very limited hiring. of course you can also make a small vacation out of it and do other things in the city to justify the costs if you don't get a job offer.

The fact that these companies are doing very limited recruiting makes me more thankful that I was shortlisted by JET. Actually, I have put this into consideration when thinking up some alternatives if I didn't get accepted, and my final thought was that I'd probably end up going to Korea for a year or something before trying out for Japan again. Although I'd probably have tried to apply to iTTTi (peppy kids club) first...

shib-- did you apply to aeon yet? will you be at the interview next week? it would be nice to know someone there! (especially if it'll be boring :P)
    i think im going to wait more towards june/july to apply actually since i heard they don't really have any positions open til september. in the meantime, just tryin to get my resume out around here in NY and see if i can't find something to try and break into marketing/PR (even if it is just answering phones and fetching starbucks for now.)

Quote Originally Posted by shibuyadreams View Post
    i think im going to wait more towards june/july to apply actually since i heard they don't really have any positions open til september. in the meantime, just tryin to get my resume out around here in NY and see if i can't find something to try and break into marketing/PR (even if it is just answering phones and fetching starbucks for now.)
    dont do that. if you're going to apply do it now. they continually interview and hire, putting accepted applicants on a first-come first-served waiting list. if you wait until then you'll have months worth of people in front of you. if you aiming for september, apply now.