Thread: Thesis

Default Thesis

I read that you should submit your senior thesis in order for them to get a sense of your writing style. Did I completely screw myself over by not doing one in college? Also, how related do you think your major has to be to your field of study in undergrad? I want to pursue something related to my minor, not my major.

I'm not writing a thesis. I have a research paper I'll have done about four research papers this year by the end of the semester, but nothing as formal as a thesis. I talked to one of my professors about it, and she said depending on what you're going for in grad school, it's a good idea to have some sort of writing sample available related to your future studies, but it might not be necessary. If you have any good, decent-lengthed research papers, that could probably suffice.

That same professor also has a habit of talking in class about her undergrad/doctoral experiences. Apparently her undergrad major was history, but after taking an Asian history course her junior or senior year she decided to major in East Asian studies/Japanese for her doctorate. My fiance's dad majored in computer science in undergrad and got his masters in management and had no previous management/business experience.

I think having a related degree definitely helps, but it isn't necessary for all majors. If you know what universities you want to apply to, you might want to email the head of the department you're going for.

EDIT: I haven't looked into MEXT scholarships or anything, but I do know my history teacher had most of her doctoral degree paid for by some Japanese government organization.
    Last edited by Eira; March 5th, 2009 at 11:16.

Default Re: Thesis

They aren't asking for a writing sample. You can show off your writing style in your research proposal. I'm pretty sure what they are asking for is some highlights of any theses or 'presented' papers that you might have done. Don't really think you need to submit if you didn't do any.

Also, there is a difference between classwork/papers you did in class and a presented paper. But you should double check with the consulate on that one.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

What if your school didn't make you do graduation thesises? I mean, I have plenty of research papers so like Eira I guess I can do that.

I'm hoping I can get a MEXT scholarship to study business, which is completely unrelated to what I got my B.A. in (Double major in history and east asian studies).

I also didn't do a graduation thesis nor do I have any research papers saved.

I guess I'll have to do one on my own if they really need one.
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; March 5th, 2009 at 16:59.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

I just received a letter from my University, explaining that Graduation was 6th of July. i hope writing that Thesis was worth it, doing a Thesis is a big risk because if your data is fucked no matter how logical your study is your whole 6 months of study has been a waste of time. You know with modules if you have past, when you write a Thesis you don't.

I happened to get a solid answer from the Japanese embassy regarding the thesis abstract question.

If you did not write a thesis for your undergraduate degree program, you don't need to submit one.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    I happened to get a solid answer from the Japanese embassy regarding the thesis abstract question.

If you did not write a thesis for your undergraduate degree program, you don't need to submit one.
    Thats good. they didnt have me write one.
    It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Thank God