Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: South Korea

Default Re: South Korea

For EPIK you can also go through a recruiter. My interview is next Wednesday at 2pm JST. My first choice is Busan. Gotta be able to take that high-speed ferry to Fuckuoka.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by cvmurrieta View Post
    For EPIK you can also go through a recruiter. My interview is next Wednesday at 2pm JST. My first choice is Busan. Gotta be able to take that high-speed ferry to Fuckuoka.
    Funny I was just going to ask you when you interview is, good luck all I can say is listen to the advice that Rowan gave you. During my interview they probably didn't ask me one question that we went over, we went over 5 but I was really comfy. As for me I sent my paperwork to Korea on the 23rd it's already in Incheon and should be delivered to my recruiter on Tuesday which is the day I should be getting my Passport and faxing a copy of the info page over!

Also have you not been able to find more work in Japan or are you just going for Korea now?

Quote Originally Posted by B of NC View Post
    Funny I was just going to ask you when you interview is, good luck all I can say is listen to the advice that Rowan gave you. During my interview they probably didn't ask me one question that we went over, we went over 5 but I was really comfy. As for me I sent my paperwork to Korea on the 23rd it's already in Incheon and should be delivered to my recruiter on Tuesday which is the day I should be getting my Passport and faxing a copy of the info page over!

Also have you not been able to find more work in Japan or are you just going for Korea now?
    I haven't found anything as of yet. However, I still have three months from April 27 until my contract expires. If my girlfriend and I are still together, she has suggested I move in with her and find work in Sendai and the surrounding areas. But I still feel more comfortable having as many options as possible.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

Wow I think i want to apply to teach in Korea as well. The pay seems considerably less, but they do pay for your accomodation and stuff. Hmm just a few questions...

Exactly when should I apply? Id like to apply for the September placement, but I wouldnt mind if I had to wait til next year as I still have some university debts.

What can i expect in the interview? Would it be similar to the JET interview? e.g. why you chose the 3 regions in your application, why you want to teach English in Korea, how you plan on dealing with loneliness,etc.

I think id apply to teach in Incheon and Busan.

i'm having major problems getting my diploma scanned for them. it's buried somewhere in my house in kansas (i live in new york) and my mom says she can't find it. my school said they could give me another copy but not till after may 20th! i wonder if i should go ahead and apply now anyway?

i wish they'd just accept transcripts

Quote Originally Posted by heyitsme View Post
    i'm having major problems getting my diploma scanned for them. it's buried somewhere in my house in kansas (i live in new york) and my mom says she can't find it. my school said they could give me another copy but not till after may 20th! i wonder if i should go ahead and apply now anyway?

i wish they'd just accept transcripts
    I would say apply then order it to be safe and that way you know that you are in OR order it now and apply because I think anyone from this forum stands a pretty good chance of getting in, because most of us want to do something like this either way it's just a matter of getting your documents over there (which is like 4-5 days though it seems quicker) then them sending you a contract and visa stuff and you sending it back.

ps your gonna need transcripts anyway so pick up some of those as well
    pps is there anyone who wants to know all that they want cause I have a nifty pdf from my recruiter if you wanna take a look

thanks for the advice. yeah i have already ordered the transcripts and my prof is writing a recommendation letter. thanks, i wouldn't mind looking at that pdf, i'll pm you my email. i think i am gonna bypass the recruiter and just apply straight to EPIK.

Best of luck! I hope you get it! South Korea is awesome, and I know you'll have a great time over there~
    "Judging the mistakes of strangers is an easy thing to do - and it feels pretty good."
    - the thoughts of K in Sputnik Sweetheart

My paper work was received yesterday morning my time (EDT) and I got my passport in the mail yesterday afternoon a full 2 days before they thought it would get to me and scanned it and sent it, My recruiter says it should be calm seas for a couple of months until around June or July, hooray more waiting, although this time it's for a contract.

So how much you getting paid, it was 1.8mil won a month for an urban area/with only bachelor degree right?

I'll be getting 2.1mil won with I believe the chance to earn 2.3mil if I get a second school and the rural bonuses. But I haven't gotten the contract yet also about halfway thru the first year I'll decide if I want to stay another year and do a 100 hour TEFL or TESOL that gives you 2.3mil as a base salary

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

ok only been here 24 hours but seoul rocks....now i want to study korean
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

soooo .... i'm starting to have second thoughts about applying to EPIK right away. i've read that they have march start dates, and this would be good for me for many different reasons.. mostly because bonus season is in january at my firm (i work for a finance firm) and even though they prob won't be very big, it might be worth sticking around for. plus, it wouldn't feel so rushed.

my question is, since there is a mandatory orientation in august, what does this mean for people who start in march? do they still pay for plane tickets etc.? anyone know about this?

thanks!

I believe there is a orientation for March arrivals as well as they reimburse you that's key they don't pay, they reimburse you

So if I have an interview this week, when would I most likely head over to Korea (assuming I get accepted)?
    Last edited by Menelaus; May 4th, 2009 at 15:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Menelaus View Post
    So if I have an interview on Monday next week, when would I most likely head over to Korea (assuming I get accepted)?
    You would go in August unless they explicitly state otherwise... as far as EPIK goes as well as many hagwons

Did I already post here that I was accepted by EPIK? Or was that on Dave's?

Unbelievably f**king busy day at the prefectural office.

Quote Originally Posted by cvmurrieta View Post
    Did I already post here that I was accepted by EPIK? Or was that on Dave's?

Unbelievably f**king busy day at the prefectural office.
    no but congrats, now we will wait to see what your final decision is?

I got upgraded for JET.... so it looks like korea will be another year! Good luck in korea though, guys! I was getting excited about going there haha.. oh well, there will hopefully be many years to come

thanks for all of your advice, as well!