View Poll Results: Do you encourage katakana usage in class?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: I gloss words in katakana (not just as a guide), and do not correct poor pronunciation.

3 17.65%
  • No: I do not write in katakana (or I use it as a guide only), and correct poor pronunciation.

14 82.35%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do You Encourage Katakana Use In Class?

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by ampersand View Post
    That's a daft as claiming that French shouldn't written in the Latin alphabet because it's pronounced differently than English. After all "impossible" isn't pronounced as "impossible".

You can accurately represent the pronunciation of Japanese in the Latin alphabet (better than English, even) as long as you are aware that it's not pronounced the same as English (or French or Swedish or . . . ).

The problem with representing English (and many other languages) in katakana is that you can't distinguish several consonants, that you can't represent consonant clusters, and that you can't represent closed syllables that end in anything except n without enormous amounts of modification.
    Thank you for saying what I was thinking!
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Rrrrrroaring into action. Tomahawk's Avatar

Default Re: Do You Encourage Katakana Use In Class?

Exactly Ampersand.
    I can understand teaching the correct pronunciation and the students not being able to pronounce it....but to deliberately teach the wrong pronunciation is a backwards step and will in later life lead to the students being ridiculed for their pronounciation. I think it will actually hinder them in later life and discourage them from speaking English as they will stand out from the crowd.

I had a discussion with my (first year JHS) JTE to try to get him to remove the katakana from the worksheet. He used the slow kids excuse. I said they could write their own if they needed the help. He used the slow kids excuse. I asked him if they were so slow they couldn't write their own katakana. He used the slow kids excuse.

OMFG I give up.

fuck, if i don't put it in katakana neither my students nor the JTEs will know what i'm talking about. My school's retarded. I have to teach them like retards.

You know what, I take that back. The teachers are retarded. the students just have bad teachers. the JTEs don't give a fuck about teaching english. I've decided, if you can't beat them, join them. now i'm part of the problem.

i'm guessing me and ini have similar schools

Is your school really that bad?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>

p.s., im thinking about purposely teaching the kids and JTEs wrong so their English will be even more fucked up and unintelligible than before. That way i can exercise a little power in my powerless world and make them look stupid.

petty? yes.

what i'm going to do? yes.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    Is your school really that bad?
    let me put it this way. Those fuckers are just there to collect government checks. They can't speak English and refuse to teach it.

When I first got here I tried to make an impact, came up against a brick wall, and now i spend my time on the internet talking about feces and semen. There is no reason for my school to have an ALT, not until they decide to teach english.

I was going to say that that is unfortunate, but maybe, in the end, it's easier. My problem at my school, with one of my JTEs anyway, is that she is a pushover. She is way too nice to the students. This wouldn't be a problem if the students actually behaved, but the students are horrible. And the nicer she is to them, the more they just walk all over her.

i have to restrain myself because it would become an essay, but yeah, i have that problem too. i have most of the problems i've ever heard of. CLAIR should do a study on my school, write up a report, and then fuck themselves in the ass with it.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! DecayConstant's Avatar

I casually suggestted actually teaching the students how to read, rather than having them memorize whole words as if they were kanji. She said, "Oh, we don't have time for that, and no one ever taught us how to read either." Well, if you taught them how to read, you wouldn't have to waste twenty minutes every period repeating the same paragraph 15 times until half the class has it memorized and the other half is in a boredom-coma.

But my school is actually pretty good, all things considered.
    Sometimes it takes a pot to call a kettle black.

I <3 Melon Soda

I teach senior high school, primarily 2nd & 3rd years. The JTEs and I don't write in katakana, but some kids will write their own on their textbooks for new words. I don't scold them for that if they need it. I teach phrases and dialogs, so we're not doing individual word pronunciation drills. Most students are pretty good at reading and sounding out new words, though of course they have accents to varying degrees. I do try to get the class as a whole to pronounce things correctly. Most of them sound pretty intelligible, but there are still some that pronounce everything like katakana, even though they're reading English letters. If they haven't gotten it by now, I don't think they're going to (or want to), so I don't pick on students individually for their pronunciation.

Interestingly, even though my students may be able to pronounce words like "T-junction" correctly, they still say "kyatto" instead of "cat." I blame it on learning the word in Elementary (or wherever) from someone who didn't speak English.

Quote Originally Posted by danielplainview View Post
    fuck, if i don't put it in katakana neither my students nor the JTEs will know what i'm talking about. My school's retarded. I have to teach them like retards.
    That's a good point... these kids have been conditioned to listen to shitty katakana English from their JTE's so they have no clue what I'm talking about.

I love when I say something and then the JTE repeats in full on katakana right after me. There's no point in me coming to class and teaching them how to pronounce things if the teacher is going to just fuck it up 5 seconds later.

It all comes down to the fact these teachers have just completely given up and seem to have no confidence in the kids or themselves. It's pretty sad, honestly.