Thread: Pre-Interview Nerves

VIP

Default Pre-Interview Nerves

Ok, so I have an interview next weekend for Aeon so I can hurry up and get me to Japan! This will include presenting part of a teaching lesson (I'm choosing beginning level). I have taught in several subject areas, but I've never taught a group of people who don't know the language. Do you still speak as you normally would, just clearly and in simpler sentences when addressing the class, even if they aren't going to understand most of what you are say? I can be very animated if need be to help convey what I'm trying to get across. It's probably an obvious answer, but I'm a bit nervous 8O

If the Aeon does work, then I try for JET again 8)

VIP

Yes, speak clearly and slowly. Re-use the same phrases over and over again. (Eg, use the same way of saying something every time, the same words of congratulation etc..) and USE BODY LANGUAGE. Either draw on the board, hold up objects, or use clear, simple body language to get your point across.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

VIP

Matt- thanks for the advice! It did help the butterflies settle down a bit and get my brain a bit more focused on how to approach the lesson. I have my neighbor (who is an elementary teacher) reviewing my lesson just before my interview, which I think will help as well.