Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions on learning Counters?

Default Re: Suggestions on learning Counters?

I've never heard either めんこい or すばらすい. People usually say すばらしい or whatnot. I don't hear a lot of the し --> す here.

Does ちょう as an intensifer (ちょう高い!) count, or is that standard? What about something like これ食べづらい! or whatever?

Honestly, I have a hard time picking up any actual unique words around here. I hear "べ" every now and then, but that's about it. Like a kid saying 食うべ?

I hear conflicting reports on whether or not だっちゃ is Sendai-ben or not. Non-Japanese people usually say "No, that's Kansai-ben." whereas I think a few of the locals have said, "Yeah, they say that in Sendai." (I've never heard it.)

It might be a bit like "California-ben". Unless you want to talk about Keanu Reeves' stoner-surfer dialect, which as far as I can tell is spoken by Keanu Reeves and ... Keanu Reeves, all I can come up with is apparently the vowels being a bit farther back in the throat or something, maybe a little more slurred than usual, and things like saying "hella" or using "dude"/"man" more often. But I guess there's Valley Girl...which incidentally is a great thing to teach kids in Japan.
    Last edited by Wakatta; March 16th, 2009 at 22:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakatta View Post
    I've never heard either めんこい or すばらすい. People usually say すばらしい or whatnot. I don't hear a lot of the し --> す here.
    You're not getting much Tohoku-ben then. Get out into the hinterlands and talk with older people. Then you'll get the し turning into ず as in すばらずい and むずがずい.

Younger people use less and less dialect, but even when they're speaking standard Japanese, し sounds a lot more like すぃ than it does in Tokyo.

I hear "べ" every now and then, but that's about it. Like a kid saying 食うべ?
    Really? I hear どうすっぺ and いぐべ all the time.

I hear conflicting reports on whether or not だっちゃ is Sendai-ben or not. Non-Japanese people usually say "No, that's Kansai-ben." whereas I think a few of the locals have said, "Yeah, they say that in Sendai." (I've never heard it.)
    っちゃ is most definitely Tohoku-ben. I heard a young women behind me in Sendai say "可愛いっちゃ" on Sunday. Classy.

And for your edification:
    http://members.tripod.com/MiyagiAJET/miyagi-ben.html
    "I have ... relations... with many of the students." -- Sai1

Quote Originally Posted by ampersand
    I hear どうすっぺ and いぐべ all the time.
    it's so strange to think about how we all have basically the same jobs, but we're exposed to such different Japanese. I'm really enjoying sopping up so much kansai-ish ben. I'm in southern Fukui so it's not pure kansai-ben, but I get plenty of

何しとるの?/ ほんまや/ しゃべったらあかんで/ほんなら始めようか

a lot of stuff doesn't really appear here (そうやで, なんでやねん、おおきに, for example), but it's gotten me pretty used to kansai-ben.

I saw that page way back before I came here, but I haven't heard anyone talk like that. I wouldn't particularly want to, either...it gets into the realm of "hard to understand" and just strikes me as weird.

That page also lists nai --> ne, but I'm pretty sure that's an all-Japan thing. I mean, sure, I do hear people say like wakkane! or oishikune! or tsumanne! all the time. But everyone says that, right? If not, then there's some good Tohoku-ben. I like the sound of it! Especially for expressing dismay.

I like the sound of ccha too, but I really don't think I hear it very much. Perhaps a lot of these things I don't hear are just part of that 40% or whatever of overheard speech that I fail to understand. I'll try to hear some.

It could be that since most of my time spent talking with Japanese people is in the office or other formal environments, I hear more polite and standard Japanese and less casual stuff.
    Last edited by Wakatta; March 17th, 2009 at 14:29.