Thread: Japanese/Kanji for your DS

Default Japanese/Kanji for your DS

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I don't feel like digging up an old thread.

What DS software titles do you own/like for studying Japanese?

I'm familiar with JLPT level 3 and 4 kanji, but I don't know them by heart. Basically I want a dictionary that will let me write the kanji and get the reading. If there was some kind of quiz-type feature I would be okay with that too.

What do you use? What do you recommend for my situation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Default Re: Japanese/Kanji for your DS

I have both of these, I think they're both pretty good, although I must admit they've both fallen into disuse lately.

なぞっておぼえる 大人の漢字練習 完全版

漢字そのまま DS楽引辞典

The top one is a "game" that takes you through all the Kanji you're expected to know for JLPT1. It's good for vocab/kanji practice, but not very good as a resource tool.

The latter is actually a dictionary. It's good, and it has J-E, E-J, and J-J dictionaries but I ended up buying another electronic dictionary anyway, so I don't really use it anymore. Being a DS game, it takes you about 15 seconds or so to get to the lookup screen if you don't leave it on, and obviously I couldn't look up words when playing DS or GBA games. And the lack of keyboard input was a bit of a downer as well. But it's definitely a good option on the cheap.
    Wise men say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'

http://toadhjo.blogspot.com/

FiercestCalm

I also use 漢字そのまま DS楽引辞典. It's been pretty invaluable, since I'm terrible at remembering kanji and you can just draw a kanji in and get its meaning.

In addition to 漢字そのまま, I also use 漢検DS. If you know your JLPT 3kyuu kanji, that's about right for starting to drill at the lowest levels with this game. I find it rather difficult even at the lowest grade, but it is good for both reading and writing practice. You can choose to drill reading (writing the furigana for a compound in a reading passage), stroke count (write the stroke count or write which stroke a highlighted mark is), or writing the compound (which I suck at because I've been focusing just on reading them and should really practice my handwriting more!). There are also a few mini games to improve your speed reading.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_ss_...C%9FDS&x=0&y=0
    (I linked to search results because there are two sequels to it out now, and you should look for reviews of the sequels online, because they may have improved significantly upon the original.)

There is a good flashcard homebrew program (I think it's called DSLearnJ), but you have to make the cards yourself.

Also, I'm a big nerd and love Phantom Hourglass. It's in pretty basic Japanese, and if you don't know a kanji, you can poke it to get the hiragana. I learned many interesting kanji that way that have actually helped me in classes.

(Obviously the Zelda is more for fun, but... I thought I'd throw it out there :3)

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

kakitorikun! good even for level 4, as long as you can read kana!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by toadhjo View Post
    I have both of these, I think they're both pretty good, although I must admit they've both fallen into disuse lately.

なぞっておぼえる 大人の漢字練習 完全版

[...]

The top one is a "game" that takes you through all the Kanji you're expected to know for JLPT1. It's good for vocab/kanji practice, but not very good as a resource tool.
    Wow, you're the only other person I've run into that has ever talked about this game. I've preached it many a times on the forum, but noone over listens cuz they're all incompetent tools, but I digress. Doesn't give you any definitions, but is excellent for reading\writing practice (and can start you right from grade 1 kanji). Simple interface too.