Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RCS, Borderlink and Altia

Default RCS, Borderlink and Altia

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these companies? I think I would prefer being an ALT versus working for an Eikaiwa...
    Any information would be great, including perhaps locations? I am trying to get a placement in or near Saitama.

Default Re: RCS, Borderlink and Altia

RCS would be a good bet for going to Saitama. I wouldn't recomend any dispatch company though. They fix your work hours at 29 so you cannot get any benefits such as health insurance among other things.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

My city has a contract with Borderlink, and they seem skeezy as sin. I think the biggest offense to me is to get time off you have to go through them rather than your school, and they force you to buy your own health insurance.

Rrrrrroaring into action. Tomahawk's Avatar

From what I know of Borderlink, they are really fucking tight with the cash. Far worse than the majority of dispatch companies out there. And their personell keep on changing.

Altia have good teaching materials and if i remember correctly aren't too bad at all.

No comment on RCS.

Borderlink also has the most retarded policies to pay you here.

Even though we're in Yamanashi, they use Mitsubishi UFJ to pay their employees. Unfortunately, they don't have any branches here in Yamanashi for commercial banking, so all their ALT's in my city have to go to the convience store for all of their banking needs.

Thanks, so it kinda seems like Borderlink is a no... unless there's anything positive anyone can say.
    I can't find much on the RCS website, so I'll try sending them an email. I'll definitely ask about health insurance, and housing. Hopefully I'll get some useful information.
    If anyone has anymore info, that would be great!

Altia's website doesn't list any recruiting sessions and if you click on Available Positions there is only one available. I also emailed them several months ago with a question and never got a reply. My most recent email to their recruiting address has still gone unanswered for over a week. Anyone know what's up with them?

I messaged Altia with some questions about the application and they responded, but that was a few months ago and they had tons of positions available. I submitted my application since then and have not heard anything from them other than getting an automatic email about my application being submitted.

From what I've picked up at my other interviews, there are TONS of people apply for these jobs this year. One of the people told me that the number of people applying was completely insane compared to previous years. I'm not going to be surprised if I don't get offered a job anywhere. Neither the US or Japan having very robust economies at the moment so jobs are down and applicants are up.

Fuck.
    always a JETsmaid, never a JET.

FiercestCalm

I applied to RCS and got a phone interview, which I did last week. The guy on the phone was very friendly and answered all my questions. Here's the information I received before the phone interview:

COMPENSATION:
    -Monthly salary: \240,000
    -Basic salary: \100,000/month (this figure already includes travel expenses)
    - Location allowance: \130,000/month
    - Attendance Bonus: \10,000/month
    - 3 days possible sick leave
    Due to nature of contract work, one month processing required before payment.

OPTION A: Aug & Dec paid at 60%
    OPTION B: All months paid at 100% except Aug

AVERAGE EXPENDITURES:
    Income Tax: 3-5% of monthly income
    Insurance: \8400/month (subject to change)
    Car fee (if hired): \20,000/month

Accommodation:
    We will assist you in finding accommodation within your budget. Please note for most apartments there may be considerable initial outlay.

Does RCS require a TEFL certificate or previous experience?

FiercestCalm

Quote Originally Posted by taeko7 View Post
    Does RCS require a TEFL certificate or previous experience?
    Nope, just the standard BA/BS.

I should mention the Borderlink ALT's here are dumbasses for not responding to my emails at work.

Quote Originally Posted by FiercestCalm View Post
    I applied to RCS and got a phone interview, which I did last week. The guy on the phone was very friendly and answered all my questions. Here's the information I received before the phone interview:

COMPENSATION:
    -Monthly salary: \240,000
    -Basic salary: \100,000/month (this figure already includes travel expenses)
    - Location allowance: \130,000/month
    - Attendance Bonus: \10,000/month
    - 3 days possible sick leave

AVERAGE EXPENDITURES:
    Income Tax: 3-5% of monthly income
    Insurance: \8400/month (subject to change)
    Car fee (if hired): \20,000/month

Accommodation:
    We will assist you in finding accommodation within your budget. Please note for most apartments there may be considerable initial outlay.
    If I'm reading this right that's a base salary after tax, insurance and car fee of 199,600 yen, or ~$2,035 a month....other then august/december which would be $1,221 a month....or $22,477 a year total.

How many hours a week and how many weeks a year are they expecting you to work? At 40 hrs/week and 48 weeks/year that's about $12/hr.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

FiercestCalm

Quote Originally Posted by Waldroon View Post
    If I'm reading this right that's a base salary after tax, insurance and car fee of 199,600 yen, or ~$2,035 a month....other then august/december which would be $1,221 a month....or $22,477 a year total.

How many hours a week and how many weeks a year are they expecting you to work? At 40 hrs/week and 48 weeks/year that's about $12/hr.
    WORKING DAYS/HOURS: MON-FRI 8:15 – 4:30 (approximate)

HOLIDAYS: Will depend on the Board of Contract type. The below is a guide only.
    ØSat/Sun, Public holidays
    ØApril approx. 5 days; Summer approx. 4 weeks; Winter approx. 10-14 days
    ØMarch is prorated as it falls outside the contract period.
    (recontracting bonus paid to cover this time)

Yeah, the pay is pretty abysmal, especially since they expect you to pay your own key money/deposit and don't pay you for the first month. If not for that stuff, I might actually take this over JET, since they treated me very well and would tell me where they're putting me before making me sign a contract.

I misread this and thought they just meant that for some reason you were getting paid less in Aug/Dec, but I think they are talking about the delay in your first months payment? I would want to ask if I were applying, since that's ~$2,000 you're talking about.

In that case it's closer to $13.15/hr if you assume max holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

FiercestCalm

Yep, you are getting paid less in Aug/December, because you work much less/not at all. The first month's payment is paid after they've reviewed your work for that month.

$12 an hour...that sucks. i'm not sure if i should throw in the towel or not right now. jet turned me down and so did amity. i didnt really want to work for amity due to the kids thing but it paid pretty decent compared to the other eikaiwas. i can only compromize myself financially so much before i actually cant afford to make it work. damn this dumb fucking economy. all the places ive talked with have told me there are TONS more applicants this year than any other year before.
    always a JETsmaid, never a JET.

I'm still waiting on JET to get back to me so I'm looking for back-up plans ><
    In regards to RCS, how long does the process take? I'm trying to figure out whether I should start now, or wait until I hear back about JET.

FiercestCalm

I sent in my e-mail to RCS on March 4th, and they replied about a phone interview on March 9th. We did the interview on the 12th, and I haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Keep away from Borderlink at all costs. Crap on a stick would be too kind. Ask anybody working there and you will get the same comment. Don`t bother asking the management though, it changes continuously. Woe and misery await any employee of that cesspit.