Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RCS, Borderlink and Altia

Quote Originally Posted by rascalking View Post
    Wow.....they can pull that before I've even started the job?!? Because I would for sure switch over before I've even started. I have two seminars in December for different companies but thats after the cut off date for sending in my documents to Borderlink. I really don't know what to do. I want to accept with them and then keep looking in case I get another job offer before I start, but you're saying even if I do, there's a chance I can't withdraw my visa application with Borderlink?? Yikes...
    Don't worry about the no compete clause. It is not legal and can not be enforced. The country is filled with people who are working at other places doing the same work. If you do come and get the visa, it is yours. No matter what Borderlink threatens you with, you can move to another position. As others have stated, you will need a ton of money just to get settled. Several months rent plus you have to buy fixtures. Think very carefully before accepting any position with BL. Even though your contract says you will receive a monthly salary, you will be docked for the exact amount of time you come in late or leave early. Your pay day is the 25th of the following month, and, not all of the months are fully paid months. ALTs who have been here for some time have been making complaints to the proper offices and refusing to 'take it lying down', so now BL is recruiting overseas for people they can screw.
    Evil company.
    Last edited by Hamster; November 13th, 2009 at 18:02.

Default Re: RCS, Borderlink and Altia

Bingo.

That sounds pretty rough. A couple of my friends over there said there is more work in Japan if actually make it over nad get a visa first. Do you think it would be worthwhile to put up with BL for the first couple months just to help get settled with a proper visa? One of my friends got offered a position with them, but no one's too fond of getting d'd in the financial b.
    "Judging the mistakes of strangers is an easy thing to do - and it feels pretty good."
    - the thoughts of K in Sputnik Sweetheart

It all depends when Borderlink wants you to start. If it is before the new school year (April, 2010), then you are replacing somebody who suddenly quit. And, that position may be gone come March. B.O.E.s and the schools hate it when ALTs keep changing. In order to better secure a contract,BL has actually promised the local B.O.E. that no one would quit during the year. Of course people do leave, and when they do, confidence in the dispatch company goes down, along with chances of a new contract. I would only accept if it is for the new school year and BL can tell you what school or school district you will be working at, and, provide some type of proof that the position will be available when you arrive. Then, you can look for something better. BL and all the other dispatch companies all try to underbid each other for contracts, so B.O.E.s almost always wait until the last minute to decide on a company. Potential ALTs (Iike yourself) and current ALTs will not know if they have a position until just a few weeks before the term starts. No position is guaranteed until this time. Be warned. If you and others accept the position by e-mail, Borderlink will be able to say that it has enough ALTs for the new year. But, if BL doesn't renew, or loses the contract, you will be told "sorry, but there is no position for you. Tough luck." There is no job security at all.

Banned

RCS?
    My first month pro-rated pay was 8000 yen.

Basic Salary 100,000 yen

and

Location Allowance 100,000 yen

are pro-rated. So if your school term starts around the ninth of the month, expect very little. I got 8000 yen, that is 102 US dollars. And for the second non-pro rated month what I got was below:

Basic Salary 100,000 yen

Location Allowance 100,000 yen

100% Attendance Bonus 10,000 yen

Total 210,000 yen

Deductions

Income Tax -5,020 yen

July’s Rent -55,520 yen

Move-in Costs (payment 2 of 2) -82,970yen

Koyo Hoken (unemployment insurance) -1,050 yen

Total -144,560 yen

Total Salary Paid 65,440yen

[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]Dear ALTs,

Good afternoon!
    As you know, we have been in touch with your school to tell them you will not be able to go in on Monday for a personal reason. Please make sure you keep your explanation as simple as that, a personal reason, if anyone asks. I doubt anyone will ask, but it is important that you do not talk about your situation with anyone.
    At the Tokyo office you can pick up your CoE and take it to immigration. You will likely have to return to immigration after a week or two. They will send you a post card to let you know the visa is ready to be picked up. Let us know when that date is and we will work something out with your school again so you can be absent with no problems. On the rare occasion they will issue the visa on the same day, but it is not very common at all. Good luck though, that would be very lucky and convenient for you. Fingers crossed!

1. Please go to the Tokyo office on Monday (April 23) by 9am. The person you need to speak to will be at the office at 9am (not 8, like I may have told you already, sorry about that!).
    2. Immigration has some crazy hours, for example they close at for lunch and then close at 4pm for the rest of the afternoon. Not very convenient, especially for a place that gets very busy at times, so please get there early.
    3. Make sure you bring your PASSPORT!
    4. Directions to the Tokyo office are below and a map is attached to this email.

To the Tokyo office:
    Please make your way to Nishi Waseda station on the Fukutoshin line (Tokyo Metro Subway). At Nishi Waseda station, take exit 3. Follow the signs towards Shinjuku Cosmic Sports Center. You will go up one escalator, then turn right and take another escalator up to the street (do not go straight up the second escalator in front of you or you will come out inside the University campus). Once you get to the main street, turn right. You will pass Nishi Waseda University and Shinjuku Cosmic Sports Center. When you reach an intersection where a Sunkus convenience store is located, please cross the street toward Sunkus. Our office is located on the 10th floor of the building that is connected directly to the right of the Sunkus If you reach the Lawson 100 convenience store, you have gone too far. At the glass door please press '1001' and someone will buzz you up. When you exit the elevator on the 10th floor, the front door to the office is directly opposite on the left. Please ring the doorbell on arrival. It takes about 5 minutes after exiting the station to walk here. I have attached a map to this e-mail for you to refer to as well.

Please dont say anything to immigration about working. They will also probably ask no questions, but if they do just tell them you have been doing tourist things until now and will start your job after your visa is issued.

If you have any questions about this process, please ask the staff at the Tokyo office on Monday morning.

Have a good weekend, I look forward to hearing how things go on Monday!
    Last edited by RomulusLupin; October 16th, 2012 at 10:21.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

That is awesome!

we should all contact her and tell her what we think!
    Last edited by Beer Baron; November 6th, 2012 at 06:59.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

"Please make sure you keep your explanation as simple as that, “a personal reason,” if anyone asks."

Sorry, but if my BOE or supervisor asked me to do that, I'd be screaming from the rooftops I was asked to do that. Maybe I'm paranoid, though, because I've had my BOE try and fail to pull some odd stuff on me in the past.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    "Please make sure you keep your explanation as simple as that, “a personal reason,” if anyone asks."

Sorry, but if my BOE or supervisor asked me to do that, I'd be screaming from the rooftops I was asked to do that. Maybe I'm paranoid, though, because I've had my BOE try and fail to pull some odd stuff on me in the past.
    Your reading comprehension is at an all time low.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Your reading comprehension is at an all time low.
    Oh dear lord and saviour, please enlighten me on where I veered from the path.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

He's supposed to be lying to his BoE and supervisor for one.

For two shouting from the rooftops about how you tricked your way into Japan and don't have a work visa seems a little silly.