Thread: On the phone - ideas for an adult class :]

Default On the phone - ideas for an adult class :)

Hi there

I have a two hour adult class next week, they would like me to look at phone conversations. I have some ideas but two hours is a long time to talk about phone chit chat, does anyone have any cool ideas?

Any response would be much appreictaed.

See ya soon

Jonathan (currently at school, dreading lunchtime's culinary delight) :P

VIP

Think about common phrases we use on the phone like:

Hello?
    Hang on a sec / just a moment.
    I'll pass you over to.
    She's not in at the moment.
    No, I dont want any double glazing.
    etc..

Get them to practice, then in pairs / groups, they can write a conversation transcript and perform to the rest of the class.

You could also record a telephone conversation on tape and use it as a listening exercise.

Hope that helps.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Tape a few friends/whoever you can find, and have them speak a prepared passage that makes it look like they are speaking to an answering maching. Have them name places to meet, and at what times (cinema trip works well). Have them name friends.

Play message to class a couple of times, then give out a transcript of the message to the class -with blanks (place/time/names/etc), and ask them to fill the gaps in. You then play the tape several times while they write down the answers - paying particular attention to repeating sections of the tape that they are currently trying to find the answer for.

Hope that helps.

C.

Thanks guys! Some really nice ideas, thank you.

The brainstorming continues...

:P

An idea that worked well with uni students was to get them to actually have real telephone conversations. In pairs, one person stands outside the classroom while the other phones them using their keitai and has to accomplish a task, i.e. ordering a pizza, getting help with a computer problem, etc. Of course, this depends on whether or not the students mind spending money to make phone calls as part of class, but it should make it more real for them.

Alternatively, get them to actually order pizza in English (this only works if someone at the pizza place speaks English) and then you can all enjoy pizza together when it arrives!

The site that Chiara mentioned, www.handoutsonline.com, has a nice activity about phone conversations, which involves the students putting each sentence in the correct order.

Take care Jon,
    Dob
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Holy Moses!

That site is amazing! 8O

Thanks Dob, thanks Chiara :P

Jonathan

xx

I love that site so much! I'm gonna use the worksheet about British slang in the ESS club next week.

Thanks from me too, Chiara!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

I think we should set up a sister website called "Dob'll fix it", complete with his own jingle jangle and big cigar. :P

And borderline paedophilia??? Excellent!

8O

Now then, now then

Sorry about that, Jon. Now why don't you just come and sit on Uncle Dob's lap...

Dob,

I've just noticed you have over a thousand posts. That's just wrong!

:P

I delight in doing wrong things. You should know that by now.

How about looking up some of the old Lillie Tomlin skits from Rowan and Martins Laugh-In they were pretty funny. What is old is new again eh.