Thread: Computer jobs in Japan?

Default Computer jobs in Japan?

I'm a (hopefully) incoming JET, and I want to try to find a job for my fiance in Japan. He is a computer programmer, writes small software, and cannot speak Japanese.

Do you know anywhere I can search for non-teaching jobs in Japan?
    Any suggestions how I can go about looking for computer jobs when I get to Japan?

I don't yet know where I'll be placed, of course....

Default Re: Computer jobs in Japan?

Getting jobs in anything other than teaching is pretty hard as a foreigner, especially if you don't speak Japanese. A friend of mine is in a similar situation since he wants to work in Japan for a while after graduation, but he hasn't been able to find anything in his field. This is even after studying abroad and taking Japanese classes for two or three years.

You probably already know this, but his best bet would definitely be teaching English at a conversation school. If not, the most foreign workers I saw when studying abroad were all in restaurants and convenience stores. It may not be impossible to find him something computer-related, but it might be safer looking for jobs he can do from home.

I don't know how reliable this place is, but here are some tech job offerings:
    http://www.jobsinjapan.com/jobs/it.html

gaijinpot.com also has job listings IIRC, but I don't personally know anyone who has used either of these sites for a job so I can't vouch one way or another for them.

Good luck to both of you

Not that it would be helpful at this point, but I did see a 300,000 yen a month job listing for an English speaking computer programmer in Japan a few weeks ago. I didn't pick up all the details of the job, so I couldn't tell you much about it other than that it involved translation, thus required some fluency in Japanese and English. I'm pretty sure it was on Dave's ESL Cafe (http://www.eslcafe.com/), but I could be wrong.

yeah my boyfriend is going with me and he was a mac genius and i was wondering if he would be able to get a job doing some computer related work as well, but honestly those types of jobs are probably only in or near tokyo so if you aren't close enough it probably wouldn't work out.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

How can your boyfirned go with you?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

I <3 Melon Soda

My husband is a computer programmer, but we don't think he has a prayer of getting a job in his field unless he gets his Japanese up to JLPT 2 level and we move to Tokyo... He was doing some telecommuting for an American company for a while.

If your significant other doesn't speak Japanese, it will be very, very difficult to find anything other than English teaching gigs. Even if he can speak Japanese, almost all of the international type companies that are looking to hire bilingual speakers are in Tokyo, not whatever random location you may get placed...

Quote Originally Posted by bananahammock View Post
    but honestly those types of jobs are probably only in or near tokyo so if you aren't close enough it probably wouldn't work out.
    I have a friend that works as programmer in Tokyo who speaks almost no Japanese. I would agree such positions would only be in Tokyo or Osaka with an even smaller selection.

tell him to apply for a mext scholarship and learn Japanese.
    It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis

A friend of mine in Tsukuba did that, though I'm not sure if it was a MEXT scholarship. She had to go pass an intensive summer long language immersion program before she started classes, and I think that included learning all of the Joyo kanji. She said it was pretty hard, but she had only been in Japan for about a year with no prior language experience, and she was probably pushing 2kyu level when I met her.