Thread: Should I apply this year?

Default Should I apply this year?

I really want to do graduate studies in Japan after JET. I'm not sure if I want to apply this year for entrance after my 2nd JET year or wait off until next year for entrance after my 3rd JET year.

Pros and cons -

Cons first

- I think my application would be rushed. I've only been reading the materials for what I am interested in studying for a short time(Cross cultural business communication / strategic communication / MBA type stuff). I don't know if I can throw together a high quality research proposal now.

- I need to pay shaken the same time I would travel back to the US for an interview, really expensive interview. It would kill my chances of taking a summer vacation.

- MBA programs typically require more post graduation work experience than I would have after just 2 years on JET.

Pros now

- Can get a move on in my career

- Can leave the inaka

Extra factor - I don't know if I can handle ALT work for 3 years

So what do you think? Think I should drive on ALTing for another year while gathering info for my research proposal and potentially start school after my 3rd JET year or should I throw a hail mary and try for now?
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; April 3rd, 2009 at 23:09.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Don't rush yourself, i gained and Accountancy degree, worked in industry for 4 years, got an MBA (if i pass my thesis) and now i am applied for the JET program, i hope i am worthy.

The question is, what exactly do you want to study?

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    I really want to do graduate studies in Japan after JET. I'm not sure if I want to apply this year for entrance after my 2nd JET year or wait off until next year for entrance after my 3rd JET year.

Pros and cons -

Cons first

- I think my application would be rushed. I've only been reading the materials for what I am interested in studying for a short time(Cross cultural business communication / strategic communication / MBA type stuff). I don't know if I can throw together a high quality research proposal now.

- I need to pay shaken the same time I would travel back to the US for an interview, really expensive interview. It would kill my chances of taking a summer vacation.

- MBA programs typically require more post graduation work experience than I would have after just 2 years on JET.

Pros now

- Can leave the inaka

So what do you think? Think I should drive on ALTing for another year while gathering info for my research proposal and potentially start school after my 3rd JET year or should I throw a hail mary and try for now?

Default Re: Should I apply this year?

Strategic information management. Specifically dealing with a foreign cultural environment and cross-cultural issues.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

It seems to me you have the desire to study for this qualification, what are the obstacles that are preventing you from applying?

Strategic information management. Specifically dealing with a foreign cultural environment and cross-cultural issues.

Funding. That's why I'm interested in the MEXT scholarship.

Breaking down the MEXT scholarship I'm worried about rushing my application, which would be due towards the end of May. Even if I got the MEXT scholarship I still would have to pursue entering an MBA program here in Japan. I would have 2 full time years on JET and I don't know if that will cut it as far as getting acceptance.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

if you apply and fail can you apply next year?

Yea you can do that but I don't want to present a substandard application. I think it might be best to hold off applying for a year and aim for 3 years on JET.

I'm looking at plane tickets back to NYC for a potential interview and I just don't have 1,500 to blow on that and I shouldn't pay that kind of money until I have the most awesome research proposal possible. I need to do more independent research in order to come up with my own proposal and can't write one in just a month.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Apply.

you will know what needs to be done and you will have a rough draft for the second time you submit your application.

good luck!

Yea you can do that but I don't want to present a substandard application. I think it might be best to hold off applying for a year and aim for 3 years on JET.

I'm looking at plane tickets back to NYC for a potential interview and I just don't have 1,500 to blow on that and I shouldn't pay that kind of money until I have the most awesome research proposal possible. I need to do more independent research in order to come up with my own proposal and can't write one in just a month.
    I would wait, the economy sucks right now anyways, the longer you can put off real life the better.
    It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by malislamusrex View Post
    Apply.

you will know what needs to be done and you will have a rough draft for the second time you submit your application.

good luck!
    I helped create this forum to find out what needs to be done.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

That's good to hear.

If i could add a suggestion, something that would contribute to this section of the forum would be, a step by step guide, i.e.

1. Find a n University
    2. fill in form
    3. fill in MEXT scholarship form.

etc

I helped create this forum to find out what needs to be done.

I hope you get to Japan. It would be very interesting to meet an ALT with an MBA. What kind of reasons do you have for doing JET? Language?
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Will add that to the FAQs in short time.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Funny you should ask that it's what the interviewer asked. Well i went to Japan when i took some time off studying, i travelled around Japan for a month and lived in Tokyo for 2, and i loved the place, then I thought, I am 27 now and i have been studying or working all my life, if i don't go now, i can never go, so i decided to apply.

I hope you get to Japan. It would be very interesting to meet an ALT with an MBA. What kind of reasons do you have for doing JET? Language?

Pros and cons -

Cons first

Pros now

- Can leave the inaka

IMO, I don't know if an MBA would be that useful to begin with. Are you wanting to work permanently in Japan? Or the US?

Quote Originally Posted by malislamusrex View Post
    Don't rush yourself, i gained and Accountancy degree, worked in industry for 4 years, got an MBA (if i pass my thesis) and now i am applied for the JET program, i hope i am worthy.
    You're doing it backwards!

Seriously though, good luck with the lack of work once you get here.
    "The complex Japanese language and its writing system are inventions of the devil, designed to prevent the spread of Gospel."
    -Francis Xavier (1506-1552)