Thread: Westgate?

Default Westgate?

I've seen their ads on eslcafe but don't know anything about them. I'm assuming this is because they're bad, but anyone care to chime in?

Default Re: Westgate?

The university program is good, but because of the timetable you are only employed in 3 month blocks with no pay over the holidays and no work at all from January to March, so you would need to apply for other jobs once you arrive.

They hire from overseas so it is a good company to use to get your visa and then jump ship to another company once you're in the country. Also the professor visa they give you is good for showing off with in the pub compared to the boring old instructor one most people have.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Out of curiosity I'd like to know the private universities they have contracts with.

People I know teach at Tokyo University of Science

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it a little more then.

I would add that the accomodation they provide for you is on the pricey side, but it may be tricky to arrange your own if you are applying from overseas.

Though I eventually decided against it, I'd recommend Westgate for those who want junior college / senmon gakko teaching experience, but don't expect the university door to open easily without additional pg qualifications - Westgate experience, a Masters and currently living in Japan would probably interest a lot of universities- you'll probably enjoy the teaching - but the pricey apartments are a rip-off, they're not worth the 9 man or so they will take off you . If you see it a stepping stone it's alright, but it's tough when you're not being paid in the vacations.
    Last edited by turbotgenki; September 8th, 2009 at 05:00.

Stay clear of Westgate. Especially now.

They more or less led me and my girlfriend on about jobs for months on end, only to drop us without a reason. Both of us. Her with a masters degree and 2 years ALT experience, and me with 4 years experience. We're under the impression that due to the economy Westgate has lost some of their contracts, and thus doesn't need as many people.

At least with a regular teaching type job you are employed for a full year, can rent a real apartment at a decent rate for a year, and don't have to worry about being dropped 3 months in.

Try looking for jobs at gaijinpot.com. The new school year starts in March, so apply now for jobs starting then. I know a lot of prefectures are slowly ditching JET for private companies (happened in my old area, and my new job is a JET replacement).

I would add that there is some doubt that Westgate can always be claimed on a resume as "university experience". You are employed by Westgate, not the university, and the position is essentially visiting a college campus to provide eikaiwa to the students who are paying extra money (read, not part of tuition) for the privilage.
    If you want to use Westgate as a stepping stone for other university work, be forewarned that not every institution will look at Westgate as applicable experience.
    It may work for some though. I haven't worked for Westgate and I'm not on any hiring boards so I'm just passing on what I have heard and read elsewhere. If anyone has moved from Westgate to regular uni work, that would be a good thing to know.