Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People Leaving

Default People Leaving

Those of us already here on JET will soon have an idea of who may be staying or going. This information could be helpful to new applicants, i.e. how many positions are opening up in a certain prefecture / city. Would any of you new applicants like to know anything like that?
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

When do you lot have to make your decision by? Surely it's quite a few months off isn't it?

Apparently we get the forms some time in the next month even though the decision doesnt have to be made until Jan/Feb next year.

Hands up who's going to lose them before then!
    I have finesse!

I have finesse coming out of my bottom!

So have any of you three given it much thought? Or any other current JETs who happens to read this? Even thought you’ve only been there for a couple of months...
    I suppose it'd be best to put it off as long as possible. The fun doesn't get into full swing until several months have passed. Leastways that's what I've found...

I'm definitely staying for at least 2 years. My personal ESID is a pretty sweet set up, and I need to get with the nihongo benkyou shimasu, and where else better to do it than here?
    I have finesse!

I have finesse coming out of my bottom!

i'm staying because i avoid the tax in uk if i do. oh that and the job is great i suppose!!

I have a very cushy deal here in Oita. COME TO OITA!
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

I'm more than likely staying for at least 2 years. I know of at least 2 people leaving Hiroshima-ken, though, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of places opening up here. It's a nice place, but some people are way out in the sticks. If you're near the city it's a cool prefecture, though!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shotokai
    i'm staying because i avoid the tax in uk if i do. oh that and the job is great i suppose!!

Yeah it's not on my top 10 list cuz Beq from down under is having a bad time in Oita~ Nothin' against it otherwise :wink:

It's been really good to hear what life is like over there from those of you who are current JETs. So I would definitely like to hear from people leaving after a year and why they choose to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by socalDave
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotokai

Yeah it's not on my top 10 list cuz Beq from down under is having a bad time in Oita~ Nothin' against it otherwise :wink:
    Yeah but ESID as they say... Apart from poor Beq everyone I've ever spoken to in Oita loves it here. That's why we have so many people currently in their 3rd year... which means lots of positions opening up next year. COME TO OITA as Shotokai keeps saying!

And I'm sure Beq would agree that we're a very socialable lot here in Oita... apart from a few problems at school life ain't too bad is it Beq??

I will stay for 2yrs as one year isnt enough. tempted by 3years, will have to see..

come to Kumamoto-ken - we only have to work a maximum of 20 days a month so we get an extra 7 or 8 days off a year!!!

thanks for backing us up there tash. there are loads of jets, old and new in oita that are loving it. when i spoke to beq, in person she seemed happy enough. Beq, if you're having trouble give us a ring and we'll meet up for a chat.
    there is a good support network in Oita and as Tash said, many 3rd year jets (something must be good enough to keep em here) so many positions will be open next year. Two lucky people will get to live near me and another new jet from hawaii.
    it will be a shame to see the 3rd years go though they have been such good people to us newbies.
    Also, a little factoid for ya, after tokyo, Oita city has the second highest population of foriegn students in Japan. Fukuoka (two hours away) has one of the highest foreign resident populations in Japan. COME TO OITA!!! IT'S BEAUTIFUl AND A GREAT SIZED CITY WHEN COMPARED TO OSAKA OR TOKYO.
    www.oitajets.com

The more I hear/read/think about Oita, there more I like it. Does it snow there in winter?

yes it does, but as it's on kyushu the snow doesn't last. however that is in the city, there are many smaller cities in oita and towns that are currently being merged to make cities, there the snow may last longer. the weather is just starting to get cold now, the mornings are brisk but the day is still hot.
    the official oita website does it very little justice so anything you want to know pm me.
    let's not take this thread off track...indeed pm any of the oits jets, there are plenty signed up to itil.
    shoto
    www.oitajets.com

I plan to stay for at least 2 years. Before I came I was all gugn-ho about staying the full 3 (which may not be an option for me, I'll explain why in a minute), but I'm not as happy at my school as I thought I would be. I like to give things 2 years to straighten out and improve upon what didn't work the previous year. I haven't gotten used to my school schedule, and probably never will as it changes about every other week (I'm at 1 school). But the teachers are not very happy at the school either. I think part of the reason is that my school is closing in 2 years (which is why I probably won't be able to recontract for 3). Before I came to Japan the school where I worked closed permanently, so I know how some of the teachers must be feeling.

But I'm also making the best of my situation and have met a few families in town and I spend a lot of time with them and their kids. And I DO like living in Japan.

I hope this posting isn't a downer, as it is not meant to be. When you're applying, don't forget that JET is a job (yeah, there's lots of fun stuff too: conferences, matsuris, and karaoke oh my!) and some days things are "blah."

Good luck with phase 1 of the application process!

yeah, ganbate
    www.oitajets.com

if u want to see what we get up to in oita then visit my photo site
    http://www.picturetrail.com/kcbeard
    it has pics of events in oita, more to come soon.
    www.oitajets.com

I'm figuring that I will be here for no more than 2 years though I'm very much 50/50 on that whole matter. Its fun and all plus Okayama city is fairly nice (great perks and convenient access to Hiroshima, Kobe and the Kansai region) but I've got work waiting for me when I get home and other crap to think about. That and said job will bring me back to Japan though probably not to Okayama.

There's also that obvious feeling that how the teachers utilize ALTs is kind of pointless which makes the actual job enjoyment pretty low. Increasingly I consider this the "cultural ambassador" job. But hey, ESID right?

Chris

3 years no worries for me. then off to work abroad somewhere else. if you want advice on where to go in japan then kumamoto is your best bet. it really is rather amazingly super extra double mega special. check my website for verification of that odd claim

The reason why we get the paperwork so early is not just because it gives us plenty of time to lose it, but also for people who want to (try) and change jobs or prefecture/city have much earlier deadlines than Feb 4th (the deadline for recontracting).

I thought about moving (as my fiancee is in Hyogo and I'm in Okayama) but decided against it in the end- my situation is nice, we get to see each other at weekends so I decided to stay on.

I feel 1 year isn't long enough - especially to learn Japanese!